main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jan Duursema Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Mar 4, 2002.

1. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Hi Jan. If I can actually make it to ComicCon I'll be sure to drop by and say hello. Looks like I'll only there for that Saturday. Wish I could be there the whole week though,lol. :p

2. Darth_Snuggle

Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    I also received my copy of your Aayla/Quinlan print, Ms. Duursema. It's absolutely beautiful! [face_love] Now I just have to find a nice frame for it and a spot of uncovered wall in my house...

3. dri-ma-kadi

dri-ma-kadi Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    I think the cover of Republic #81 looks amazing!!

4. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I also got my Quinlan/Aayla print. Your work was beautiful SW.com's shipping job however was not. Its less noticible now that its framed and I think the more its in there that the creases will flattten out.

Keep up the good work. I hope that we see more like this from you in the future as actual art work is a nice change from the "photoshopped" posters that we got to chose from before.

5. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Jan, even though I only ran into you late Saturday it was really great seeing you again since CIII. Sorry I had to "wuss out" on you like that but I just needed to call it a day. I did enjoy my weekend stay in San Diego. Wished it was for 4 days but maybe next year! Hope you had a good Con.

6. Joser_Kyind

Joser_Kyind Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2005
    Republic 77 rocked!

7. bulent_hasan

bulent_hasan Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2002
    Republic 77 just kicked severe ass Jan. Sorry i've been away from here for so long but I've been wicked busy, but not too busy to miss out on Republic. Its sad to know that the regular titles are coming to an end and they're going into the mini-series route again. But if anything my favorite thing about Republic has been You and Jon working on the title (as well as the excellent inkers and colorists) as well as the characters you've all created for this book, most notably Quin & Aayla.

is there anything you can tell us that might give us hope for a return of Quin? Will he ever hook up with Khaleen again with their kid?

8. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    Jan: RogueWompRat and I have a question for you regarding the big felinoid aliens seen on Aargonar in "Behind Enemy Lines". Are they a discrete Aargonarian race of aliens, or simply Yuzzems?

Thanks,
    the good Senator:)

9. Darth_Snuggle

Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    Ms. Duursema,

I just picked Republic #77 and my admiration for your skills as an artist continues to grow with each issue. The characters and locations are wonderfully rendered and the emotions (as this was a particularly emotion-filled issue) clearly shine through. It's a shame that the series is coming to a close since Quinlan, Aayla and Tholme have become such favorites of mine, right up there with film characters like Yoda and Obi-Wan.

10. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    Jan, are you aware of the cult of K'Kruhk's hat? there's a thread on it in the Lit forum.

11. Jan_Duursema

Jan_Duursema Comic Artist: -AOTC -Legacy -Republic star 4 VIP

May 15, 2001
    K'Kruhk's hat= awesome thread! LOL!

Oddly enough, while at a Renaisance Fair today I SAW the Hat... I will try to post a pic soon...

12. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    Vote for Quin!!! Let's get Quin made into a 12" figure from Sideshow!

Sideshow 12" poll

13. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    I second that! My desk is incomplete without a Quin from Sideshow... :(

VOTE Quin!! :D

14. Joser_Kyind

Feb 10, 2005
    I voted for quin (three times)!

15. Meriwyn

Mar 22, 2002
    OK, I know I'm really slow in reading these (I just picked up Republic 76 & 77) but I had a feeling months ago that Khaleen was going to end up pregnant. My prediction? Mara Jade will be the result, and she wouldn't have had the name "Vos" in order to protect her from any Jedi purging going on. I could be totally way off (and personally I hope I am, as I'm not a Mara fan), but that's my guess for now hehe.

16. Joser_Kyind

Feb 10, 2005
    I do like Mara, but I really hope that she is not Quin and Khaleen's child. I think it would cheapen both story arcs. I want to see some entirely orriginal story arc for Quin's kid. Maybe he is one of the unnamed students on the first twelve to attend Luke's Praxeum on Yavin IV. Maybe he will inherit the Hat from "uncle" K'Kruhk. Maybe it's a girl and she still kicks major Stormie butt during the Rebellion and goes on to become a great Jedi Master in Luke's Order. The point is that there are so many possibilities that making Quin's kid one of the pre-established characters would take a lot of the fun out of it for me.

17. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    I know I'm pretty late on this, but that art is absolutely gorgeous. If I had known it was being sold, I would definitely have bought one. If you don't mind, how much was it?

Is there a hi-res picture of it online? Has any other Quinlan Art been sold?

And on another note, is Darkness the only arc that Master Zao has appeared in? I'm working on a very basic custom of him to go in a diorama I'm making.

18. Zhan_Tyrros

Zhan_Tyrros Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 11, 2005
    that artwork for Republic #83.... INCREDIBLE!

i've never seen Quin that messed up looking before...

19. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Hiya! Glad to know you all have been voting for Quin--tho he is lagging behind in the polls these days. :( Gonna try to get everyone I know to vote, so if you know anyone who owes you a favor.... :p

Thanks for the kind words on the cover art for 83 Zhan! yeah, Quin looks pretty messed up. It does not look good for him there on Kashyyyk...

MasterGuff--thanks! The poster was fun to do and I was really happy with the printing as well. I've done a few Quin sketches, but I don't think there are any other posters. To answer your other question, Master Zao appeared in Darkness and briefly in issues 72-73. If you get a chance, post the custom or the diorama, I'd love to see it. You can also email me-- jan@janduursema.com

Joser and Meri--Mara Jade????? :p

Right now I'm working on issue 83. Then it's time to say goodbye to Republic...

...But just wait til you see what John and I have cooked up NEXT! [face_devil]

20. Meriwyn

Mar 22, 2002
    As I said Jan...I REALLY hope I'm way wrong LOL

:D

21. Aaron-Wan-Kenobi

Aaron-Wan-Kenobi Temp CR Orange County, CA star 3 VIP

Dec 8, 2002
    How did I not know these parts of the boards existed. I have only stuck to my local fanfoce boards but this is awesome.

Jan, big fan. Hope to meet you someday and get a sketch. I am a big comic geek outside of star wars too. Have you done any non star wars work?

22. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Hi Aaron--welcome and thanks! I have done some non Star Wars work a while back--Hawkman, X-Factor, Hulk to name a few. I'm enjoying the Star Wars work a LOT so I am glad you are enjoying it too! :D If you are looking to get a sketch sometime, I'm usually at San Diego Comic con, Chicago, and Mid-Ohio Comic con. May be trying to get to a couple other cons next year too.

Meri--LOL--I hope so too! :p

23. Meriwyn

Mar 22, 2002
    Quin and Khaleen need to have a purple-dreadlocked, green-eyed son...THAT would be cool! hehehe

24. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Hmm, you don't think Khaleen's hair is NATURALLY purple, do you? :p

25. Exar_Xan

Exar_Xan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 29, 2001
    Do you want to make us believe it is RED then ;) :p?