main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jan Duursema Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Jan_Duursema

Jan_Duursema Comic Artist: -AOTC -Legacy -Republic star 4 VIP

May 15, 2001
    Khaleen a redhead? Would we do that to you?

2. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Jan, I have a question about "Sacrifice," from Clone Wars Volume 1.

Why did you decide to put stone mites into the background of the some of the scenes on the Wheel? Was it because you saw and liked them in the AotC Visual Dictionary? Or is it a connection to the old Marvel series (where Han fights stone mites right after leaving the Wheel)?

Thanks.

:)

3. pitsburySC

pitsburySC Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2003
    ...But just wait til you see what John and I have cooked up NEXT! devil

Any idea when all this will be unveiled? I just can't wait to know it :D

4. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Rogue--The stone mites in 'Sacrifice'--I head read about them and thought it would be appropriate for them to have gotten into a structure like the wheel. It seemed like their kind of place. I had forgotten about Han fighting stone mites, but was it in the back of my mind?? Possibly, there's a lot of junk stored back there somewhere...

pitsburySC--I think the project will probably be unveiled early next spring. You might see little pieces of art around before then though so keep a look out...

5. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
  6. Aaron-Wan-Kenobi

Aaron-Wan-Kenobi Temp CR Orange County, CA star 3 VIP

Dec 8, 2002
    Thanks for the reply Jan. Do you sign your books at cons? If yes, is there a limit. I am a big Frank Cho fan and I saw him at ComicCon two years ago and he signed all my books which was really really cool. Some artists though are bugged by stuff like that and only want to sign one or two. Jim Lee would only sign three books each from his Batman run. Anyways, just wondering.

7. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    I'm willing to sign as many books as you are willing to carry. Sometimes if it gets crazy busy and there is an extremely long line I will ask if someone with a ton of books would mind coming back for them later. (I sign them during the less busy times) But there is no limit.

So if you see that I am going to be at a con, please bring yourself and your books by! :D

8. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Howdies Ms. Duursema!! I wanted to thank you for signing that picture for my son. He is still excited over it from C3. [face_laugh] He cracks me up.
    Poor thing though...he wouldn't go and see Ep III with me after seeing it the first time cuz of Aayla's demise. It was sad that they kept shooting her...which I didn't understand why the continued too. I mean they shot Ki-Adi-Mundi a few times and stopped...but man did they lay it into her!

I finally got him to agree to watch it once we get it on DVD, juz that I'll have to fast forward through that part. He is a major Aayla fan. He's only 10, but it's funny. When he wants to play he has me be Vos while he plays Aayla. I know I know...it's wrong for him to be a girl...and I've mentioned to him that it isn't quite right. But he knows that he is a guy and that she is a female. (but then again I play male roles... [face_laugh] He juz likes her. Other times I'm Qui and he's Obi.

Thanks again! And I sooo look forward to Republic: #83!! [face_dancing] He's survived!! [face_worried] But for how long??

I was soooooooooo excited at the end of (ack forgot the #) the recent one with Tholme, Khaleen, and Vos. Him stating that she's carrying their child! [face_love] I loved the fact that he stated that after this all he would leave the Order...poor guy. Little does he know that there will not be one... Hey...does that mean that maybe he does survive and throws away the Jedi ways/title and lives happily ever after with her?? Now that would be one heckuva sweet ending!!! Those two and baby makes 3!

I have really come to love Tholme. How he juz sat there faced off with Vos (the one where Tholme falls and presumed dead)! [face_love] I was soooooo sad and actually thought him gone! I even cried :p So glad to know that he didn't pass on and how he 'revealed' himself was AWESOME!! Fighting once more by his apprentice's side! [face_love]

Thank you so much for sharing all that you have with us! [:D] I have truly enjoyed these comics and the whole Star Wars has become even more to look forward too because of you!

9. The_Koon

The_Koon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    Jan, you are the best illustrator by far! i thank you for that

10. Ragelion

Ragelion Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2005
    Jan-

It was an honor and a privalage to meet you at Mid-Ohio con 05.
    Hope everything is well with you.
    If you need anything...just hit me up.

Thanks again.

Jamie

11. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Thank You Jan! Republic #49 is the single reason why I started reading comics again!

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Jan- though I know you're usually busy with your comic work, I was wondering if you ever contribute artwork to other mediums- like video games, print advertising, etc.

13. Pontus_Windu

Pontus_Windu Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2005
    I will just say that i love you Jan, it was very nice of you to honor Christian (Xeltek) in Republic.

14. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Hi Kynstar!

I wouldn't worry about your son wanting to be Aayla to your Quin--when my 10 year old plays Battlefront, he named one of his Clones 'Mommy'... :) I tell you--that Clone can kick butt! Tell your son that I have to skip the Aayla scene too. Much too painful to watch. Glad you are liking Republic and the final couple of stories. Siege of Saleucami was one of my faves. Did ya expect that ending??? I think we have a final cool arc for everyone. It's probably one of the more violent ones we've done, but it has some very Zen moments as well. And Villie is in it...need I say more?

Hi The_Koon!
    Thanks! Appreciate that a lot!

Hi Jamie!
    Pleasure to meet you at MOC too! Hope you enjoyed the con--it's always a fun one for me! How'd you like the Quin armor display?

Hi mrsvos!
    Cool! Seriously? Wow! 49 was a fun issue--intro to Khaleen and Tookarti. Definitely one of my favorites!

Hi Quest!
    Haven't done a lot of stuff for other mediums. Almost did some print advertising art for Last Samurai, but it fell through. I've done cards for Topps and a book cover for DAW books long ago when I first started out. I'd love to design video game characters sometime...

Hi Pontus_Windu!
    Thanks so much. Though we never met in person, Christian was a friend and what better way to honor his memory than to make him a Jedi? I'd like to think he would have thought that was pretty cool. Was Xeltek a friend of yours?

15. Pontus_Windu

Pontus_Windu Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2005
    Jan: I never met him but he was a guy from Sweden and i´m from Sweden, so we are/was from same country.

16. Aaron-Wan-Kenobi

Dec 8, 2002
    Is there any new projects that you can talk about or hint at?

17. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Windu-- Gotcha. We Star Wars fans gotta stick together! Which books do you get in Sweden--the English versions or are they translated? Just got a copy of Dark Maul from France in hardcover TPB--in French--rockin printing!

A.W. Kenobi--I'm sworn to secrecy for a little longer. I can say that I have like one page to do on Republic and then it's onto a cool new project... John and I have been working our fingers and brains to the bone to bring you this one. NO ONE is going to expect what Dark Horse has in mind with this one...

18. Aaron-Wan-Kenobi

Dec 8, 2002
    Is Dark Maul the Darth Maul Shadow Hunter book. I just saw an U.K. pressing of that that had different art on the cover.

Let us know when you can about your new project. I'll buy it whatever it is.

How long does it take you to do a page. I have read that pencilers normally take a day a page which is why most books are 22 pages. Mark Bagley amazes me at how many pages he turns out because Ultimate Spiderman comes out all the time. Also, what books do you read?

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    There's both the novel Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter and the comic Darth Maul. Simialr titles, different stories. The comic leads more or less into the novel.

20. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    AWKenobi--Dark Maul was the French version of Darth Maul (the comic mini series). Quest is right it does lead into Shadow Hunter. There is one overlapping character (besides Maul). The US covers were painted by Drew Struzan :D and the French printing has one of those on it.

It takes me a day to two days to pencil a page. That's if I am penciling for inks. Pencils which will go to color without inking take longer. I don't get much chance to read many books right now. Or see movies... I've really got a lot of catching up to do...

Glad to hear you will try the new book! :D

21. Joser_Kyind

Joser_Kyind Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2005
    I read on your other board about the new LOTR cards you're doing. Could you please tell more about them? Are you basing your cards soley on the movies, or are you going with your own interpretation? Or are you doing a little of both? Also, who's your favorite character from LOTR?

22. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Time to vote for Quinlan again, this time to be made into a 3¾" figure.

Just go here, select "Dark Horse Comics" and type in "Quinlan Vos" (make sure spelling is correct! You should type in something like "Jedi robes" or something aswell in the Descriptive Info box.

Be sure to use all those spare e-mail addresses too ;)

23. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    OMG you beat me to it!! I was just about to post that! LOL.

I voted for Quin :)

EDIT: I also voted for his "dark" look ;)

24. dri-ma-kadi

dri-ma-kadi Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    I voted for tholme

25. Marmida

Marmida Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 22, 2004
    Hi!
    I just stumbled to this thread and got exited. I mean, how many people can ask questions from their idols?

At first. I'm very impressed by your artwork in Ep. 2 comic and with those Republic comics. I think my most favourite story illustrated by you, ms. Duursema, is the one where Aayla goes to look for Quinlan. I'm not sure if it was in Republic 49. I loved that pencilmade art! I've used some of your work in that story as reference for my own drawing practice, if you don't mind...

It's a shame that here in Finland there is so few SW comics published. I would like to see more stories illustrated by you... If only there were more SW fans here in Finland... But there is so few... [face_frustrated]

And here is a stupid question you don't need answere:
    What is most difficult part in comic-drawing? Is it perspective or something else? I'm still a rookies as far as perspective and weapons are concerned... But one can't learn without practice. :D

BTW What do you think of Manga/Anime?

Happy Christmas you all!

Marmida