main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jan Duursema Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Jan_Duursema

Jan_Duursema Comic Artist: -AOTC -Legacy -Republic star 4 VIP

May 15, 2001
    Hey Villiemace!

>>An idea that could be quite cool and a nod to the fans of Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing such as myself would be if you and Jan had a story in which Dooku and Tarkin appeared together. It would be very cool.<<

That would be very cool. I don't know how they would meet, but I for one would love to see it!

About Quinlan Vos--

>>Although I am not sure that the current schedule for the star wars comics being released in the future would allow it, I would be interested to see what quinlan vos was like as a jedi before he lost his memory. How much of a change has his character undergone since loosing his memory?<<

This would be interesting to me as well and something John O and I have 'supposed' on from time to time. We got a slight glimpse into what Quin was like before his memory wipe in 'Heart of Fire'--the 3 part Dark Horse Extra that will hopefully be reprinted someday. Also in the first 9 pages of RoP. Well, I guess that's a younger Quin--not the Jedi Knight and teacher Quin.

My take on pre-memory wipe Quin? Essentially--even before his memories were taken away he was always slightly dark--serious, driven, a bit edgy, a bit of a troublemaker (I think Tholme covered for him on occasion, hoping he would do better--and usually he did.) But I think before the memory wipe he was in better control of his emotions and more in the light side of the Force--he had to be for Aayla to turn out as well as she did--and I think he was a good teacher--coming by knowledge as one who had made a LOT of mistakes. Also, as Mace states in Emmissaries-- Quin was a good man and trusted Jedi knight.

Don't know if there will be any stories that explore Quin's past (as fun as they would be.) Depends if there is a demand, I'd guess!

2. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Hi Shara!

>>I saw a listing of Hasbro 2002 figures slated for the rest of the year and it was listed as Female Twi'lek jedi as a possibility.

I would really, though, love to see a Quin figure<<

I heard a rumor that an Aayla Secura figure is slated to come out around Feb 2003! Hasbro was working on one at C2--I saw it with my own eyes!

A Quin figure would be cool as well! I just missed out on the chance to get a custom one on Ebay! Even came in a package with a card that had my artwork on it. Bummer... Got involved in work and forgot about the auction...sigh...

3. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Hi Otis!

Thanks! Glad you are liking what I'm doing on the Star Wars books! I'm having too much fun!

:D --Jan

4. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Hi Smitty--

>>"Those" Morgukai, that's plural,>>

That's the trouble with Morgukai--both plural and singular--ya can't say Morgukai's. Or would it be Morgukais'ziz? the hour is late, the grammar is poor...

>>though I thought Bok had perished and we only see Tsyr in the final shot of 'Rite of Passage 3'.<<

Alas, poor Bok. Roast Morgukai anyone? [face_devil]

5. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Hi Wil--

Don't know about an all Aayla issue--you never know--

I do have an Aayla custom--in the costume she wore in Twilight. Very cool--hope to put pics of those up on my website very soon!

6. Hitman001

Hitman001 Jedi Youngling

Aug 19, 2002
    Hi Jan ,
    Thanks for answering :) I will ask the German Publisher of SW Comics if they plan to invite you to a Comic-Con, and if they don´t i will have to force them to do it ;)
    Yes, i´ve read Twilight,it was really great.
    The only problem is it takes so long from Us-release till it´s out here, that´s because of the translation and we have only got to American Issues every 2-months and thats for Mini-Series,Ongoing-Series and the SW Tales.
    So i couldn´t wait for RoP :)
    In germany we have yet only 4 of your Comics-Series published (Darth Maul,Movie Comic,Twilight and Darkness) are there more Star Wars Comics you did in the past ???

See ya :)

7. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    jan:

i know the guys who made you the other custom figs of quin - their figs are awesome.

i asked to buy figs from them but they aren't interested :(

8. AnotherAgentSmith

AnotherAgentSmith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    Hi Jan, thanks for the reply. :)

'The Stark Hyperspace War' also shows a bit of a teenage Padawan Quinlan Vos. In that series he meets Obi-Wan Kenobi for the first time and it says they became friends. Though Aayla suggests Quinlan doesn't remember this due to the memory wipe (which seems accurate).
    Quinlan comes off as somewhat headstrong and adventurous (much like Qui-Gon Jinn), obviously with a darker streak to him, and some pain especially when faced with death. But he also seems more experienced and assured than Obi-Wan. But that were just my impressions from 'The Stark Hyperspace War' (bit sad you didn't do the artwork, it would have been truly superb then), it was really as if they wanted to set up Quinlan as being more of a headstrong person/Jedi liek Qui-Gon, and Obi-Wan more calm and passive like Tholme.

A Tales issue dedicated to Quinlan would be awesome, coudl give us some clues about his past! (So would one centered around Aayla.)

I'm sure you'll get a chance and having a Quinlan figure someday. :) The Aayla Secura 'Sith Rising' CCG cards are selling like hot cakes on eBay too ... hard to get, I got outbid 5 times for one, always just before the auction ended. :p

It wasn't the word 'Morgukai' and its us ethat intrigued me, it was 'those' instead of 'that' ... mhh ... wonder if Bok is really dead. ;) Aayla would kick his ass again if he was still alive anyways.
    Roast Morgukai? Jan, don't eat that it's high on cholesterol and it tastes like chicken anways. :p (Joking. Scary fellows still those Morgukai.)

Edited: typo's

9. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Hi Jan,

Yeah, hope there's an Aayla Tales book before EPIII comes out! It'd be cool to see the Slave Aayla custom. Like to see the Zao one too! ;)

AnotherAgentSmith, yeah an all-Quinlan would be great too. He's becoming more of my favorite Jedi each time I re-read his books. Slowly edging out my boy, A'Sharad!

10. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Jan,

What do you think of the awesome(!) homage to you by SW artist Joe Corroney in the latest Wizards of the Coast hardcover, Power of the Jedi Sourcebook:
      [image=http://www.joecorroney.com/portfolio/Star_Wars/Power_of_the_Jedi_Sourcebook/MarshHauntFinal.jpg]
    Having met you at Wizardwold Chicago over the 4th (I'm Mr44's brother, we kept you "late" talking all about the EU), I can honestly say that Jedi Knight, Ur-Sema Du (the Jedi on the left for those who may not know) is a dead ringer for you.

You've been immortalized within the GFFA! :)

Btw, any more movement on the Aurra Sing vs. Aayla Secura battle story. I still have to say this idea would be awesome!

11. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    What's Justin's Star Wars name? Was he wearing "the boots" for those poses? :p
    Aayla vs Aurra sounds pretty intense!

But...A'Sharad still has a score to settle with her...or maybe justice was already served in "Hunt for Aurra Sing"...sort of!

12. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Genghis, thats freakin' great! Really. I want that book more than ever now.

[image=http://www.joecorroney.com/portfolio/Star_Wars/Photo_References/marshhaunt.jpg]

:D

Justin's Star Wars name is Kai Justiss. He has a few more pictures on the website of him from the Power of the Jedi Sourcebook. Also, I think he was in Holonet News.

13. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    Wow, so they used Joe Corroney's art for the cover? Jedi Master Ur-Sema Du and padawan Kai Justiss are cool!
    Is Aayla Secura in the book as well? Artwork that is...

14. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Hey Hitman-- The only Star Wars comic work of mine that you don't have listed are these short stories: Three Star Wars Tales stories-- GHOST, DEAL WITH A DEMON and SINGLE CELL-- and a chapter of the CHEWBACCA book--the first story I drew for Dark Horse.

Episodenone--

Funny story behind the custom figures--(stop me if you have heard this...) San Diego Con--three years ago--Twilight had just come out--I saw a couple of guys (James and Darren) with some custom figures at the Dark Horse booth. Saw a pair of Jedi boots poking out from under the cover and asked if I could see the figures.(For some reason I had a strange feeling the boots belonged to Quin, you see...) I picked up the figure and to my surprise and delight it WAS Quinlan Vos! They were very surprised that I knew who this Jedi was and asked me how I knew. Grinning I pointed to my badge. We talked quite a while about the figures and later they gave me the custom of Quin! Since then, they've made me Tholme, Zao, Aayla, Asante Vos and Villie (who was supposed to go to John Ostrander, but he looked so good standing next to Quin that John lets him live at my house.) :)

Smitty--

Yeah, Quin is extremely stubborn and headstrong. I think that is a quality that he shares with Obi-Wan--(probably one of the things that made them fast friends.) The difference, I think, is that Obi-Wan is able to keep his impulses in check--probably because he trained with Qui-Gon--(and my impression of Qui-gon is that he was a fairly strict teacher.) This may make Obi-Wan seem more passive, but inwardly Obi-Wan is tenacious, instinctive and patient. (he's have to be to train a padawan like Anakin!) Quin sometimes relies too much on what his heart and gut reaction dictate. And he does have that dark streak in his nature...

Roast Morgukai tastes like chicken? funny, that's what the Morgukai say about Ewok...
    :p

Kampilan! (Wil)

*gasp* Quin edging out A'Sharad? *gasp* You may be delighted to know there is a possible A'Sharad story in the future! :cool:

15. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Hi Ghengis12

Uh huh--I agreed to pose for Joe C for the piece with Justin. Joe likes to use various models for his work and I thought it would be great fun to do! Joe is a really fine artist--I had admired his work in Star Wars Gamer even before I met him in Chicago in 2001 and I've been delighted to follow his career over the past year with his Holonet work and the pieces that went into this book!

It was fun talking to you in Chicago. Did you keep me there late? I didn't notice--having too much great a time talking about Star Wars! Far as the Aurra v Aayla story. Stay tuned--there is a very good possiblity of this happening in the my NEW project for Dark Horse!

Just finished an interview for Insider 64 which will bring you all the news! I'm just bursting with excitement to tell about this project, but...gotta wait for Insider 64!

16. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    Hi Jan,

Just about to turn in for the night when I ran across this...wow, thanks for the A'Sharad heads up! Yeah, Quinlan was a Tales survivor so that makes him pretty special. But A'Sharad is still my boy! That Aayla vs Aurra project sounds pretty tempting! Wonder what Amy is thinking when she sees Michonne now? :p Did you hear about the Feb 2003 release of the Aayla figure? No spy pictures yet but you, John, and Amy should definitely be proud. Congrats on your SW Insider#64 interview and can't wait for it!

17. AnotherAgentSmith

Jul 18, 2002
    Hi Jan, thanks for the reply.

That art drawing of you, Jan (and of Justin) as Jedi is impressive. :) Judging from the picture is that a Quinlan Vos/Qui-Gon Jinn type lightsaber replica you are holding?
    (It certainly looks a lot like Quinlan's or Qui-Gon's.)
    Wicked Jedi name by the way. I did one of those online Star Wars Jedi name 'makers' once but the result was horrible. Not to mention could not be normally pronounced. (It would have been a good name to become a bounty hunter or assorted Hutt type villan. :p )

If I may ask? How do you come up with those good and original Star Wars names?

It is nice how Obi-Wan and Quinlan have commonalities but also so many differences that one can see are in part due to their different teachings.

Not the poor cute furry Ewoks! :p

"Far as the Aurra v Aayla story. Stay tuned--there is a very good possiblity of this happening in the my NEW project for Dark Horse!"
    That sounds very promesing and epic! :) My creds are on Aayla anyways, Aurra Sing is good but she would go down against Aayla no doubt. :D Aurra is just no match for her.

"Just finished an interview for Insider 64 which will bring you all the news! I'm just bursting with excitement to tell about this project, but...gotta wait for Insider 64!"
    Blast I don't get the SW Insider! :p Being in Europe and all. I hope to possibly harrass one of my fellow Aayla fans for the scoop once they get it then!
    But congratulations on your interview for Insider, I'm sure it will be awesome. :)

18. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    "Wow, so they used Joe Corroney's art for the cover?"

Actually, no. This is the cover.

[image=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/078692781X.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg]

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for the news, I can't wait for the issue of Insider!

19. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    Thanks! Yeah I was kinda feeling woozy there for a minute! So, was Joe C. the artist that did the Aayla/Adi Jedi Starfighter art on Holonet News? I didn't see it at the San Diego Con but saw the Kai and Ur-Sema Du piece.

20. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    I posted this in another thread and thought I'd post it here :):

Also, one thing...DREADNAUGHTS! They were used by Planetary Security Forces, and the Republic Outland Defense Force before the Clone War!

With the advent of the Clone Wars,those Security Forces were almost certainly nationalized in order to create the Republic Navy and army.

From the REbellion Era sourcebook:

When the Emperor ascended to power and the Empire was born,he turned the remaining Security Forces into the Imperial Navy and placed it in the hands of a council of admirals and generals-the Imperial High Command

Anyway,we know there's a Republic Navy that eventually became the Imperial Navy. The Security Forces must've been nationalized during the war and turned into the REpublic Navy first. :)

My point is there should be LOTS of Dreadnaughts in any fleet battles. ;) It would be a nice link to older EU which staes that they were the main ship of the line before the Clone Wars. It's hard to believe that the Dreadnaughts were replaced so fast by the Assault Cruiser we see in Attack of the Clones. You'd think you'd see a lot of them early on in the war.

Dreadnaught picture

From the Imperal sourcebook:

Introduced to the galaxy before the Clone Wars,the Dreadnaught-Class heavy cruiser was the largest vessel of its time.

Of course, by the time of the Clone Wars,you have the new REpublic assault cruiser which is 752 meters long. A Dreadnaught-Class cruiser is only 600 meters long. :)

Now for when you reach the end of the Clone Wars. :p

Victory Class Star Destroyer picture

From the Imperial sourcebook:

Technological advancement is the byproduct of war. The battle marred era marked by the Clone Wars saw the creation of bigger, faster, more heavily armed and armored combat vessels. The best of this bumper crop was the Victory-Class Star Destroyer. Designed by Republic engineer Walex Blissex,the Victory was commissioned into service as the wars were drawing to a close. Conseqently,though these ships saw little action during the wars,they formed the bulk of the Imperial Navy for years following.

From the Rebellion era sourcebook:

The Imperial-Class Star Destroyer replaced the original Victory-Class Star Destroyers some years before the Battle of Yavin. The smaller Victory-Class ships appeared near the end of the Clone Wars and were designed as top-of-the-line peacekeeping battleships. The Emperor agreed to fund an upgraded design,and the Imperial version superseded the Victory.

Just some wicked looking ships that would be cool to see in some Clone Wars comics. :)

Question: Who exactly is in charge of deciding what ships go in those fleets like the ones in the Stark Hyperspace War series or Council of War?

Is it left up to the artists' discretion? Is it the editors? Or continuity editors from LFL?

Thanks. :)

21. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    that last post looks familiar ;)

just wondern' Jan:
    do you read the JO thread?

22. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    that last post looks familiar

Sorry. I couldn't wait for an answer ,so I posted here to thinking I'd get a better chance at getting a fast answer. Sorry. Mr.Ostrander was kind enough to answer my question. You can ignore my last post. [face_blush] [face_blush]

23. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    >>If I may ask? How do you come up with those good and original Star Wars names?<<

Well, we put a bunch of letters in a hat and toss it in the air... Seriously though, names come from all over the place--some are anagrams of other names, sometimes names go back to movie characters--take Kh'aris for instance--that was a nod to Christopher Lee's character in a Mummy movie! And since the Twi'lek Kh'aris was following Dooku it seemed appropritate and fun. Aayla follows the pattern of Oola. John came up with Quinlan Vos so you'd have to ask him about it. I later discovered there is a Rare Vos beer made in Upstate New York. (the beer name means 'sly fox'--or so they say--I think it's a Belgian Beer--is that right then?) It's a noble brew--and just a little on the dark side...(ha)

Episodenone--Yes, I've been over to the JO thread. Interesting stuff over there with John's character poll. I was interested to see that few readers liked Tholme or found him kind of neutral. (He's really one of my favorite Jedi--I like the way he blends in anywhere. I like the way he always manages to put a burr under Quin. He purposely annoys him to get a reaction out of Quin and make him think. (Much like Qui-Gon would do with Obi-Wan from time to time.)

I always smile to picture Tholme and Quin as Master and padawan. I think Thoolme would always send Quin off on the more 'messy' part of the mission--crawling around in sewers or traisping through the underbelly of a city, etc to sneak into someplace--just to keep his own Jedi robes clean. And Quin was always willing to get his hands dirty on a mission...ready to explore the dark side of a place. Quite a team! Tholme is really quirky in his own way--guess that's what I like about him.

Trias--Far as the Dreadnaughts go--gotta leave all that up to LFL. Things might have changed on all that with Ep II.

Oh, yeah--a question was raised by Sarlaac who came over to World Famous Comics to ask a question.

What actors would you pick to portray some of the characters from Twilight, Darkness, etc?

Who do you think would make a good Quinlan, Villie, Tholme, T'ra Saa, Kh'aris, Volfe Karkko--Sheyf Tinte etc?!!

Aayla would of course have to be portrayed by Amy Allen. Difficult to explain, but she IS Aayla!

But as for the rest of the gang--what do you think?

24. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    Hi Jan,

Quinlan: Adrian Paul (already has some sword skills!)

Aayla: Amy Allen of course (if she really, really isn't available then maybe Gulianna from E!) Amy by all means possible

Zao: Mako

Tholme: Billy Bob Thornton?

Kh'aris: Michael Dorn? (Lt. Worf, has presence in his scenes)

Villie: Who dat? Oh, well maybe Vin Diesel? He doesn't have the voice though...

Tr'a Saa: Lucy Liu? (already has martial arts background)

Karkko: Wes Studi (Geronimo, Magua from Last of the Mohicans)

25. AnotherAgentSmith

Jul 18, 2002
    Hi Jan, thanks for the reply and the info. I appreciate it. :)

"Names come from all over the place--some are anagrams of other names, sometimes names go back to movie characters."
    I'll keep that in mind. I find it challenging to come up with an original Star Wars name that is also easy to pronounce and sounds 'cool'. I guess that's why great and creative people like you and John make Star Wars comics/tales and not someone as I. :p

"Quinlan Vos so you'd have to ask him about it. I later discovered there is a Rare Vos beer made in Upstate New York. (the beer name means 'sly fox'--or so they say--I think it's a Belgian Beer--is that right then?) It's a noble brew."
    Well 'rare vos' is Dutch, it literally means strange fox or rare fox (rare as in not common), 'vos' is fox. To my knowledge it could be Belgian inspired but it's not a local Belgian brew, though we Belgians make lots of different beers, like Palm, Kriek, Hoegaarden, Stella-Artois, ... and it goes on those are just the more famous ones. There's still some beers produced by genuine monks! (We're good at something! Beer that is, not monks. :p )
    Oddly enough I must be the only Belgian who doesn't drink beer (or any alcohol for that matter). :p

Actors/Actresses to portray the characters:

- Aayla Secura: Amy Allen.
    ("Aayla would of course have to be portrayed by Amy Allen. Difficult to explain, but she IS Aayla!"
    I must say I do not know Ms. Allen, nor have I met her, but when I saw the first publicty shot lucasfilm released of her as Aayla prior to the release of Episode II she struck my eye. Aayla was already my favorite character from the comics but Ms. Allen indeed 'is' Aayla when you see her in outfit and make-up. Her expression and attitude seems to be the live embodiement of Aayla. If that makes sense?)

- Quinlan Vos: Lou-Diamond Philips, Adrian Paul, Val Kilmer.
    (Kampilan I think your idea of Adrian Paul is awesome. I wouldn't have thought of it myself. It has to be someone young enough, but with the appearance of having 'lived' already, with a strong presence yet with an obvious hint of darkness within.)

- Villie: Wesley Snipes, James Marsters.
    (Wesley Snipes has the physical presence and I think he could get the accent right as well as conserving his general 'bad ass' look while still being funny in a way. James Marsters could get the attitude and accent perfect but the general physical appearance of Villie would be more challenging.)

- Master Tholme: Al Pacino.
    (Is very good at believably portraying a character that at times is composed almost regal or bland, but yet has visible depth and at times will surprise you with unseen traits when you least expect it.)

- Master Zao: CGI, voiced by Rutger Hauer, Anthony Hopkins.
    (Both with a steady, calm voice.)

- Tra'saa: Michelle Yeoh.
    (Has a more natural yet mysterious look about her.)

- Kh'aris Fenn: ???
    (I'd have to think more on that one.)

- Volfe Karkko: ???
    (Can't think of anyone as large, powerful yet with an evil infatuating presence as Volfe Karkko. Most actors I can think off can either only achieve the physical appearance or only the evil demeanor.)

- Sheyf Tinte: Anjelica Huston.
    (Can embody the darkness and cruelty of the character while remaining dignified and understandable in her actions as a person bearing great responsibility and the burden of the past.)

These aren't great ideas, but thos are the one sthat first popped in my head. But I'll give it some more thought.