main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jan Duursema Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Mike_Hayden

Mike_Hayden Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2007
    Yep yer right. I've seen and known a lot of MILpantss so yeah it is possible. And 40 isn't old at all. Just look at Monica Bellucci. She's 40 and GORGEOUS. But DANG Morrigan HOT, hot stuff.

I can't wait till they put Legacy packs that would just ROCK my day. I'll cross my fingers and toes just for that.

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It's certainly not far-fetched that it might be genetic . . . though it is far-fetched that it could be inherited from Jag, who picked his up due to a scar. Please let's not have Lamarckism in Star Wars.

3. Jan_Duursema

Jan_Duursema Comic Artist: -AOTC -Legacy -Republic star 4 VIP

May 15, 2001
    Who said anything about Jag? o_O

At any rate, who knows if Jag would have had the white hair anyway? Could be the hair thing was attributed to the scar when it was actually mere coincidence?

IMO--What it boils down to is this--characters in comics and novels need identifiable characteristics which are then used iconically to show character and/or association. Identifying traits are very important--Mara's red hair, Fel's white streak, Quin's dreads, etc etc, make these characters stand out. I've designed various characters for a long time and have found that each character needs a visual cue as part of the language of comics--a shorthand, if you will in a fast paced media.

Without something to make a character stand out, they either become confused visually or too 'vanilla' to matter visually. So let's not get bogged down in Earthly genetics, please. Why is it we can suspend our disbelief that a giant slug can talk but have difficulty getting past a patch of white hair? ]-}

4. sonnymyson

sonnymyson Jedi Master star 3

Dec 7, 2004
    [face_love] All giant slugs must speak in my world.

When the Legacy Sith are all red, is it a full-epidermis tattoo thing, then? Or can they take a pill to get red? Just curious.

5. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Full tattoo. Sith like to suffer.

[face_devil]

6. Mike_Hayden

Mike_Hayden Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2007

I don't wanna be a jerk but if the Sith are full tattoo. Then why isn't Nihl also fully tattoed. I mean why isn't he red too. I take it there is some card up your sleeve that will explain Nihl in a later story or is he not fully red because he wasn't born a Sith?

Will Wolf Sazen get a prostethic arm? I don't think so but it would be nice to see him with two hands.

7. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Nihl not being fully tattooed is a mystery and mysteries can be fun. Why would Krayt allow him to set himself apart from other fully tattooed Sith? We might explore that someday if it suits the story.

Wolf Sazen is used to how he is. If getting a prosthetic arm is part of his journey, he will get one. Otherwise, he might just not bother. That he doesn't speaks something about his character though.

8. Antares_Draco

Antares_Draco Jedi Youngling

Jun 11, 2007
    Hello to all.

9. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Hi Antares! Welcome to my board.

:)

10. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Hmm, I've been thinking, is there any specific reason as to why the Imperial Knights all have silver-bladed lightsabers?

11. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    It marks them as being set apart from Jedi or Sith. But why silver? Maybe there is something in their origin.

12. sonnymyson

Dec 7, 2004

IMO Nihl's natural stark white complexion was too much for his fashion sense to resist. Like naturally red Talon, he's a born canvas.

13. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Neat. :cool: I've been wondering about those. (I thought they were tattoos, lol.)

I do like what Wolf's lack of a prosthetic says about his way of thinking: Reminder of the past, Warning for the future...that kind of thing.

*bites nails* I seriously cannot remember the last time I was so excited about new releases. Of anything. :D

14. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    Hi JD,

Just out of idle curiosity, how would you rate the content of Legacy? PG-13? R?

What with all the skin being shown lately, and with Morrigan telling Jeriah to have a bug keep tabs on Cade just when he's starting to get hot and heavy with Talon in #18, well... Maybe NC-17? :p

15. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    I'd say about the same as the films--PG-13, though with what I am seeing on general, regular old before 9:00 PM TV these days--not the shows--the COMMERCIALS!!--I would say we are way tamer than the content to be gleaned from those... o_O

Uh, oh--you just went and forced me up on my soapbox to rail at the world... BTW--this isn't directed at you Musing, but it's interesting you brought it up.

I still find it difficult to understand what's with the kill em, but don't kiss em mentality we seem to have. Violence and hatred is horrible and yet accepted. We can show limbs hacked off, etc. Yet, when it comes to consensual nookie between adults or a little skin...shock ensues.

Skin is beautiful--and we may as well get used to it since we are in it for the duration. And-- if it weren't for the wonders of reproduction, we'd none of us be here to talk about it in the first place...

Steps off of soap box. :D

16. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    Hey, I've got nothing against either - especially the way you draw them. ;)

Not sure if "consensual" really applies to Cade and Talon's time between the sheets, given that neither is actually doing it out of free will.

And don't you think it's a bit more information than Morrigan needs to know the details of what Cade's doing with Talon? :D

17. RebelGrrl

RebelGrrl Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2006
    I never got the impression that Morrigan felt she needed to know precisely what her son was doing with that red Twi'lek chick. She wants to know precisely where he is. That means the bugs following him into whatever bedroom he happens to go into. That doesn't mean she's watching all the ensuing activities.

18. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Gotta say, it looked pretty darn consensual to me. ;)

19. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    She's, uh, a very involved mother. Making up for lost time and all that.

20. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    That's just gross, Havac. :p

21. RebelGrrl

RebelGrrl Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2006
    [face_sick] That would certainly top Leia kissing Luke in TESB if Morrigan was watching Cade and Talon. Seems to me that should have been Syn's job. Deliah would have just destroyed more stuff, Chak and Kee may have been disgusted... hhmmmm... but we all know that R2-D2 is a voyueristic little droid from DNT and all the stuff he filmed in his memory banks from the PT era. Maybe they made the droid watch. Or he volunteered. [face_devil]

22. Queengodess

Queengodess Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    Yes! From pretty much... forever, I've been kind of freaked out about this "violence is okay, sex is unacceptable" attitude that seems to penetrate pretty much all of American pop-culture. This might be a cultural thing, 'cause in Sweden it's the other way around - pretty restrictive about violence shown to younger viewers, but naked people, people having sex - well, that's fine.

Personally, I'd much rather have sex than cut someone's arm off, but maybe that's just me. :D

23. sonnymyson

Dec 7, 2004
    Agreed and three'd. I have never been able to understand why saying **** you' is an insult. I would say, gee thanks, but I don't wanna catch any stupid germs..

24. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Back with another question after pondering Legacy once again. :D

How old is Roan Fel? I get the impression that he's been around for quite a while and I'm curious as to how long.

25. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    I'd say mid-fifties, personally.