main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jan Duursema Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Jan_Duursema

Jan_Duursema Comic Artist: -AOTC -Legacy -Republic star 4 VIP

May 15, 2001
    Writers growl when you poke them. :mad:[face_whistling]

2. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003
    Hi Jan, I just wanted to ask RE Kol/Morrigan secret marriage deal: Do you think that the Jedi would have had a general bias against anyone who wasn't a Jedi being involved with the Jedi. I mean it seems that the Jedi put huge stock in the Skywalker line and what they think it means and what it can achieve. Would it have been easier on Kol if Morrigan had been a Jedi? A way to keep the Skywalker line as strong as possibe (I am aware that Padme wasn't a Jedi and if Jag and Jaina begin the empire then Jag is not a Jedi either) I just wondered what the Jedi would have thought

3. Krados

Krados Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2004
    Jan, long overdue thanks but.....issue #19 was....whoa. Never saw that coming (though probably should have with the whole Nyna disgued-to-get-into-the-sith-temple panels). I'm posting this here so as to bypass all the crazy in #19's offical thread but great job. Love what your doing here. For once the spirit of Star Wars has been recaptured with that magic of the original trilogy.

But what sort of fan would I be if I didn't press for one minor future detail ;)....when will we get to see my favorite emperor again?! Its been awhile since you drew him last but please give that poor Fel some new clothes too! All the other artists just copy his silver or red armor suits. Gotta have those threads to look good and rule well! :)

Thanks again.

4. R_Zion

R_Zion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    This is probably an odd question, but with how busy your schedule must be, Jan, do you ever get to draw for yourself? For the simple enjoyment of it without doing it for work and if so what's generally your favorite subject to draw?

5. sonnymyson

sonnymyson Jedi Master star 3

Dec 7, 2004
    What he said.[face_hypnotized] Whoah. But not so much about spicing up Fel's wardrobe. The guy's in exile after all...

Do 'Nyna' and Fel get married? ;) Cade could be the ring-bearer.

6. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Now, there's a match made in...Heaven?[face_hypnotized]

7. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    It's funny, but as much work as my work is, it hardly ever feels like work. Good thing, because I hardly ever have time to draw outside of work. My hobbies go more toward the physical--walking, running and a Korean Sword form called Haidong Gumdo.

I guess if I had time, I would like to do more painting. I used to do landscapes and people mostly.

8. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    I'm not sure there was a way for anyone to see this one coming. We made a point never to mention anything about it or to leave any clues. This was a stealth twist, I guess. Glad to hear you are enjoying the series. :D

Emperor Fel? Fairly soon, I think. He does need new threads for sure, but it's real tough to find a decent tailor on Bastion and an Emperor would never wear ill-fitting duds. You might see Marasiah in something new though...

9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Just so long as we don't see Roan in Sia's stuff.

10. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    :eek:[face_laugh]

11. luec3493

luec3493 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2002
    Jan some questions one is there a title for legacy 20-21 and will there be any flashback scenes from the battle of caemas. second is the cover for legacy 22 the final cover finally do you guys have a class name for the GA frigate in legacy 0.5

thank you

12. Matrograd

Matrograd Jedi Knight

Jan 20, 2008

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh? o_O

Well, we'll just be waiting patiently then.

14. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Teehee, I haven't read #19 yet. I'm getting to it...I wish I had all of Legacy so far. I'm missing that bonus bridge issue with the Stormtroopers and everything between the end of Broken and the start of Ghosts of Ossus.

I take Vergere is just very ambiguous. She looks very Martian in #18.

Also, Sia's name reminds me of the UK singer Sia. This allows a certain poshness to slip in. Hey, Padme had so many costume changes in each movie it would make sense. Emperors need clothing changes too (before everything gets smelly).

Drawing...
    Eh, they always say to get a likeable job (or suffer, like Shimrra wanted everyone to). I should be an artist, but a nagging feeling tells me to be a biologist (and shape things). Science people can make such creative aliens...

15. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Hey Jan!

Just letting you know that we had a Top 100 EU characters poll between EUC and Lit. A few of the people from Legacy have made it onto the list.

Highlighting a few for you:

27. Darth Krayt/A'Sharad Hett

14. Roan Fel

And my personal favorite:

9. Cade Skywalker [face_love]

16. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    Now THAT would be an interesting little side story ROFL.

17. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    I like to draw Grievous in drag. Or maybe it's not drag by his species standards :B

Somebody should go for that. I would, but my confidence in writing canon characters is lacking.

18. Meriwyn

Mar 22, 2002
    For those who haven't seen any pictures from Toy Fair, they are coming out with two new comic pack figure sets from Legacy. One is Cade Skywalker/Darth Talon and the other is *tries to contain squeeing* Antares Draco/Ganner Kreig!!! I'll definitely be picking up the Imperial Knights :)

19. R_Zion

R_Zion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    Here are a few pictures:

Talon: http://www.rebelscum.com/TF2008/hasbro/CP/image2.asp
    Cade: http://www.rebelscum.com/TF2008/hasbro/CP/image5.asp
    IKs: http://www.rebelscum.com/TF2008/hasbro/CP/image3.asp

They look great but our Knights have the wrong colored sabers...

20. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Loi isn't one of them based off a real cosplayer? Must be odd seeing oneself as an action figure...

Talon must be rather uncomfortable.

21. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    hey jan
    long time no write
    been mostly justy lurking and reading everyone else's posts...

just wondering:
    at this point -- who has the longer collaboration with JO?
    you or mr. mandrake?

love love love your work!!
    [havent told u that in a few dozen pages or so!]

22. Queengodess

Queengodess Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    Right then... Read #19 yesterday. A friend of mine who doesn't mind getting spoiled rotten has been hinting about something big and really weird in this issue, so I was expecting... well, I don't know, but something positively world changing. That being said, I was a bit - not disappointed, not at all!, but rather okay, fine, why the extreme excitement? (Or maybe it was just my friend being extremely excited. I haven't ventured into the discussion of the issue just yet.) Not that I'm not excited, mind, I think it's a really cool development. 'Cause now we have to half-siblings who don't know about each other... *giggles* This could be good in so many ways. And why on Earth would she pretend to be Cade's mother - Corde, that is? What is going on here? Happy confusion. It's a bit like Lost, as long as I don't understand what's really happening, I know it's good.

I seem to recall posting some time ago about a dream I had had about Cade's mom, only it wasn't Morrigan. In retrospect that is kind of funny...

Loved Syn and Cade hugging. Generally loved Syn in this issue, how he was drawn. Every single shot of him was really nice.

23. Queengodess

Queengodess Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    Hm. Re-reading the issue, I realize that I have missed a rather pivotal point. Corde isn't pretending, is she - at least not to be his mum.

*smacks head* What can I say? I'm dense and just flipped through the papers to get to the big surprise. So somehow I missed the whole 'one and the same person' thing.

Not that it makes any more sense this way. :p

I love Nyna now.

24. HanSolOKniser3

HanSolOKniser3 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2003
    I just want to pop in and thank you Jan for a job exceptionally well done in Legacy.

Your collaboration with John is truly great.

25. Meriwyn

Mar 22, 2002
    My Legacy TPB Volume 2 should be here tomorrow! Can't wait :)