main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jan Duursema Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003
    Hey Jan, I love legacy and here are some of my thoughts

I love the interaction between Nat and Cade. They both turned their back on their jedi heritage yet Nat has built a life, doing something productive and raising a family. It is interesting to see these very similar characters and how their life has turned out. Both have to live in the shadow of Kol and maybe both feel they failed but Nat has created something worthy while Cade is still searching for his purpose. This is just my thought but Nat seemed almost sad that he hadn't been chosen to team up with Morrigan, maybe he thought that, that way his brother wouldn't have gotten hurt. Anyway these are just my thoughts

2. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    My Legacy TPB #3 shipped today! Should have it soon yay!

3. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    I just recently bought all 3 of the Legacy TPB's, and loved them. This is my first venture into the world of SW comics, and though I was a bit skeptical about picking up that series, my only regret now is that I didn't do so sooner.

Excellent story, and great art as well. :D

4. TheCosmicGeek

TheCosmicGeek Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2008
    I love Jan's art for Star Wars, she is one of my favorite Star Wars artists. Several years ago I was lucky enough to meet her at a convention here in NJ Empire Fest I believe it was called) and I was able to buy a sketch of Quin Lan Vos. What made it even cooler was that she knew my sister since she, my sister that is, works for Wizard Magazine, and they had talked before.

I count that sketch as one of my all time most prized Star Wars posessions.

I haven't read Legacy, but I think maybe I will just break down and get the trades that are out and do some light reading.

5. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Jan, here's an art request for you - as always, feel free to say no. :) There's a panel at the top of p. 10 of #25: very regal, very beautiful, Princess Marasiah Fel. Could we maybe get a no-text-bubbles version of that? Again, if not, no worries. The issue as a whole was splendid, and I loved the art... getting excited for 26 and 27, and getting quite excited indeed about seeing your version of Celeste, etc. in Vector.

- Keralys

6. Jan_Duursema

Jan_Duursema Comic Artist: -AOTC -Legacy -Republic star 4 VIP

May 15, 2001
    http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff236/Dragon1327/?action=view&current=SIA3.jpg

Here ya go.

Been a busy week--I'll be back soon!

7. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    THANKS! :D

- Keralys

8. Paul-RMQ

Paul-RMQ Art Director/Designer - for Ralph McQuarrie VIP

Jun 30, 2008
    Hey Jan,

Gotta say how much I've been enjoying Legacy (I gave you a little plug on the Forcecast the other week).

I've been checking out Star Wars comics since 77, and without a doubt Legacy has been my favorite visually. I'd love to see what you'd have done with the 'Tales of the Jedi' era.

Keep up the fantastic work, next time I'm over at Ralph's I'll take him a pile to check out.

9. TheCosmicGeek

Jul 8, 2008
    I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I'm trying to track down the Quinlan Vos issues from the Star Wars comics and am having trouble. I have a list of his appearances, but one that actually confuses me is HEART OF FIRE- Dark Horse Extra #'s 31-33. Is this collected in a trade? If not, know of any good shops to find this? My searches are having no results so far.

My second question is where can you recommend I search for these? My local comic shop doesn't hav these as back issues. If I can I'd like to get them as trades, what is collected that is, and then whatever issues that are not in trades, or the issues where Quin does appear, I will just track down.

I've searched both midtowncomics.com and milehighcomics.com, but they didn't have everything I wanted. I'd like to try and get all of it at once if possible.

Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

10. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003
    I would say that if you want to buy comics online, things from another world is good and have back issues as well as forbidden planet.

11. TheCosmicGeek

Jul 8, 2008
    Cool, thanks for the info. I check TFAW already, but maybe Forbidden Planet will have more.

12. swtobbe

swtobbe Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2006
    Heya.

Just want to say hello to you, Jan. You're a great artist![face_peace]

13. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Hey, Jan--

just out of curiosity, did you come up with a system to the uniforms and rank badges worn by the Imperials?

Also, I've noticed that we've seen old-school stormie armor on occasion, as well as the older-style duty uniform and rank tabs-- is this intentional, or just an art error? Reason I ask is because I noticed you always use the new designs, while they tend to vary among the other artists...

(I know this is really silly nitpicky stuff, but I'm asking for wookieepedia purposes, so... yeah. :p )

14. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    I'm so behind on Legacy :oops:

No spending money...I'll start buying issues again eventually. I skimmed through the Wyyrlok issue in the local comic store. Must be very exciting (the cashier wouldn't let me look at it for that long).

On the subject of swimsuit issues...the swimsuit depicitions of Cade and Co are in the EU community forum banner. My Yuuzhan Vong colleagues wonder why there's no Yuuzhan Vong in bikinis too (I mean it! Think of what it would do as fan-service!). Sorry, I had to let that one out XD
    Yes, I think I bought that one...did I?

15. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    *headdesk*

I just realized you didn't draw the Wyrrlok issue X_X
    The art style looked a bit like yours. Maybe it was the colouring.
    Sorry, I've not been very sharp lately due to the filters placed on this computer that make googling anything a pain. But I saw something related to something you did draw today...an advert for action figures of Cade and Talon :)

Any ideas for halloween yet? Will it be a day for drawing comics?

16. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Saw this over at Rebelscum. This is too cool! I had to share! May I have my Quinlan figure now, plz?

http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=http://www.rebelscum.com/2008/tlcCPvosfaie2.jpg

17. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    I want one too!

18. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Did any of you see this? You really can't watch this without thinking Star Wars and Leia. Way too cool!

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/politics/2008/11/04/blitzer.yellin.hologram.obama.cnn

19. Black-Dog

Black-Dog Jedi Knight star 4

May 27, 2008
    "Help me Obama-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope." ;)

20. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    o_O[face_laugh]

21. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    Hey Jan,
    I have a question about how Vector will be published in TPB form.
    Will all the Vectors be in one collections, or will they in collections from their respective time periods?

22. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Since generally TPB's have a collection of 6 issues, I think Vector will be published in two issues--one with KOTOR and DARK TIMES and one with REBELLION and LEGACY. I could be wrong though...

23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I think Randy's said that that's the plan.

24. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    Hi, Jan D.!

After looking over several issues of Legacy (and marveling over its consistently high quality), I was wondering how you plan the artwork that you do. When you and John O. develop the plot, do you visualize how it's going to look before you actually put it on paper? Is there a schedule where you draw and finish so many pages in a day, or do you outline all the pages and fill in the details afterward? How closely do you work with the colorist? (BTW, will we eventually find out why Deliah's last name is Blue? Green seems to be her preferred color.) Do you see the final product before it's sent to the printers?

25. sonnymyson

sonnymyson Jedi Master star 3

Dec 7, 2004
    Hi Jan, I just want to say that the cover of Legacy 33 is up -- and I really love the sea life. Very Cthulhu. Makes those fish on Naboo look like a bunch of guppies.
    [face_peace]
    When do we get to see the Legacy 32 cover?