main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

A&A The Official Jan Duursema Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    Miss Jan, I was wondering if Taivas, location of the Hidden Temple, is a planet or a moon of Zhar? Also, what are the winged birds and floating octopi on it called?:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Image:Legacy_25_Temple.jpg

2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Fleet Admiral of Literature star 6 Staff Member Manager

May 28, 2003
    Jan-

I really love that design of the Sith starship that transported Krayt and company to Had Abaddon. The design reminds me of the Sith starfighter, but far larger.

Based on the preview of Legacy #31, the ship is large enough to have a hanger and hold at least one shuttle. Did you envision the ship as a warship or is it more of a transport?

Also- loved the alien stormtroopers. :D

Thanks!

--Adm. Nick

3. Jan_Duursema

Jan_Duursema Comic Artist: -AOTC -Legacy -Republic star 4 VIP

May 15, 2001
    Hiya, Musing! Thanks! I start to visualize the art as John and I go over the plot. Sometimes if I think of a cool visual, he incorporates that as well. Once I get the script, I go to layouts/breakdowns of the pages--very rough and then onto final drawings. Since we do a monthly book and it's 22 pages, my goal is to do a page a day. That rarely happens. I try to break down 4-5 pages at a time loosely then detail them. That way, when I run out of steam on one, I can work on another. Most times, I send Brad notes on time of day, costume details and anything else he might not get from the script that is important to the story. I don't see the final product before it goes to the printer.

Deliah is still a bit of a mystery woman, isn't she? She likes green cos it looks so pretty with pink. Maybe Blue has something to do with her hair? :cool:

4. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Hi Sonny! Yeah, Omar did a great job on that cover. I think 32, 33 and 34 are all up as of this writing. I did the art for cover 35 which should be up in a couple of weeks!

5. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Hi Cilghal! Taivas is a moon of Zhar. We never gave the flora and fauna any names yet. Hopefully, someone will name them?

6. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Hi, Nick! The Sith starship has a similar wing configuration to the Sith Fury. I think any Sith ship would be a warship. Sith never come in peace and their idea of diplomacy is a lightsaber through yet heart.

Those Alien Troopers were a lot of fun. I hope we get to see more of them soon!

7. sonnymyson

sonnymyson Jedi Master star 3

Dec 7, 2004
    I await this with corellian whiskey baited breath.

8. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Hope it's the good stuff! [face_skull]

9. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    Would you want to see the final product before it goes to the printer? I can't imagine that someone like you would overlook something like the Deliah/Marasiah coloring confusion in Legacy issue #6 if you had a chance to see it again. It sure gave a lot of people a misleading perception of Her Imperial Highness. ;) BTW, how did that happen?

And speaking of coloring...

If she likes green, why doesn't she dye her hair green too? I was under the impression that Deliah's hair color wasn't natural. Is this something that will be cleared up when you and John O. have a chance to delve into her background? And will you let wear other colors too, like purple or orange or even...blue?!? [face_mischief]

10. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    I think it's entirely possible that Deliah's hair could have gone through many colors before blue. We should have a chance to delve into her BG at some point. Maybe by then, she'll have new clothes. =P~

11. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace SouthEast RSA star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 15, 1999
    That would be the most awesomest thing in the history of ever! :D

12. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    Maybe Deliah can change her last name from Blue to Hue, too? That way, she wouldn't be limited to any particular color. ;)

13. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Fleet Admiral of Literature star 6 Staff Member Manager

May 28, 2003
    Jan:

Speaking of costumes, which characters that you designed so far has your favorite design? I know that for me personally I am a big fan of the various Jedi robes you have drawn, specifically Shado and Wolf.

Also- did you design the Imperial Moff/officer uniforms?

Thanks!

--Nick

14. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    I did design the Imperial Moff/officer uniforms. If I had to pick a favorite...I think Wolf Sazen's robes just because they are fun to draw.

15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 7

Oct 13, 2003
    I just wanted to come by and say I love LEGACY, and the art quality is so great it really makes the story come alive for me, it's never disappointing!

Actually, I'm kind of spoiled by it, because I get so used to yours that when I pick up another comic book the artwork just doesn't even compare! I have no idea how you can put out so much great artwork on a monthly schedule throughout most of the year, I just wanted to say congragulations.

(Loved the last issue of VECTOR! I won't spoil it for anyone here... :D )

16. TheCosmicGeek

TheCosmicGeek Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2008
    HI Jan, been a while since I last posted here. Will you be attending the New York Comic Con? My sister who works for Wizard, Jodie, mentioned you might be there. Unfortunately I can't attend that weekend, but she said if you were doing sketches she would stop by to say hit to you and get one.

Hope all is well!

Ian

17. sonnymyson

Dec 7, 2004
    Issue 31 blew so many of us away I can hardly believe you kept it under your hats and didn't burst before 2009! WTG Jan and Jon with Anderson colors!

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Hey, Jan- with Aayla debuting in 3D animated form in this week's episode of The Clone Wars, "Jedi Crash", I'm curious i you've seen it yet and, if so, what's your reaction on her characterization there, and how the french accent they chose to portray her with jives (or doesn't) with what you've had in your head drawing and planning with hjer with John these past few years.

19. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Thanks Ghost--appreciate it! Really great to hear you are liking Legacy so much. Stay tuned after Vector, we have a lot more stories to tell. I can't wait for you all to see them. [face_devil]

20. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Hiya Ian! Yes, I will be attending NYCC. I've got a table at artist's alley so it should be fun. Tell Jodie 'hi!' and definitely stop by and say hello!!!

All is well. :)

21. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Hey, Sonny!

Believe me when I tell you it was not easy. Both John and I were counting the days til everyone say the conclusion of Vector. Now I can't wait for you all to see what comes AFTER Vector! Great to hear from you!

:cool:

22. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    I have not seen the episode yet, but am hoping to see it soon. I have seen several previews though and I think she looks and sounds terrific. I never pictured her with a sort of French accent, but it gives her just the right bit of foreign and sultry. I think she sounds great!

It's funny, but I don't always assign voices to the characters I draw other than maybe Aayla has an accented voice or Quin sounds gruff. I do hear Cade as a farm-boy with attitude and Syn as sort of Caribbiean. For me it's more the actual cadence of the words than the accent, I guess. Blame the printed medium I've been working in for a zillion years.

23. sonnymyson

Dec 7, 2004
    Jan, I had a technical question about the art. It hit me hard on the last two pages that the color was really the source of much of the visual punch. The last two pages beg to be framed. Who is it exactly that applies the fade? It seems like Wyrlock's hand is fully inked but it's hard to tell as he is levitating Lord Hedgehog's corpse. I assume that it all has to be approved by you before printing, but is it inker or colorist that does it, or yourself?

24. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001

It works like this--I lay down the pencils--including anything that's going to be left in pencils, like smoke, occasional faces and BG's etc. Dan provides the inks and washes, then Brad comes in and colors--including the fades and filters, glows, color holds, etc. Anything that looks misty over the black or other color is most likely Brad on colors. Brad works in Photoshop on the color.

Every stage, plot, script, pencils, inks, colors are all run past the folks at LFL and Dark Horse editorial for approval.

Lord Hedgehog? [face_laugh]

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Darn- don't think I'll be able to make NYCC this year, alas. You doing any special prints for it, Jan?