main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jan Duursema Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Jan_Duursema

Jan_Duursema Comic Artist: -AOTC -Legacy -Republic star 4 VIP

May 15, 2001
    Growing up, I loved comics and was always drawing pictures from them and making up stories of my own--even though I never tried to draw those stories out in paneled pages--just in single illos. I didn't know that I wanted to be a comic book artist, but I always knew I wanted to be an artist and initially thought I'd like to illustrate book covers. I attended college for a degree in Fine Art, but discovered, on graduating, that it had not trained me for anything in particular as the commercial aspects of art had not been covered. That summer, I was talking to the owner of a local comic book shop and mentioned how I wanted to illustrate covers. I showed him my portfolio and he mentioned the Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Graphic Art. I looked into it and within two weeks (it was already August, I had to move on this!) I had interviewed and was accepted for the coming school year. It was just one of those serendipitous things for me--walking into the school, and seeing all the comic art on the walls was a homecoming for me, I just knew it was what I wanted to do. I don't know of any better place to have learned storytelling.

2. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    Wow, that is awesome, Jan.

I mainly do single illos too, and post things to Deviant Art.

I'm kinda afraid of going for a Fine Art Degree. I've spent six years in the army, and have decided to finally pursue a degree. There doesn't seem to be many jobs out there for people with Art Degrees.

3. Black-Dog

Black-Dog Jedi Knight star 4

May 27, 2008
    Hey Jan, I got a question about when you drew X-Factor back in the '90's. While I did enjoy your work there, the way you did Polaris had me boggled about something.

Polaris

What's with the hair being so long? :confused:

4. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Having a Fine Art degree never netted me even one job in the comic book or illustration biz. No one ever asked about it. When editors are looking at your work what it all comes down to is what they see in your portfolio. If you want to learn illustration and comics and want to further your education, then find a school that teaches toward a career and not a degree--one that understands that art is a business and not a hobby. Find a school that makes you work you fingers to the bone doing art every day. At JKS we were all immersed in art for the time we were there, so if you really want to do art for a living find a school that will do that for you.

5. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    There's a blast from the past. That is long hair on Polaris. Stylistic choice, I think, but who can recall--that was another lifetime ago!

6. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    Thanks for the advice, Jan :D

7. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    Hair can be an excellent metaphor in art, though. I used to draw an amateur comic where one character's hair started out long, got shorter after a Heroic BSOD*, and then slowly got longer again. But with Polaris, I never interpreted it anyway.

*The Star Wars example: "That's not true! That's impossible!"

8. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    That's the fun thing about comic book art--exaggeration is part of the art form. It can give movement to a picture that does not move.

9. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    I've always thought as much. I actually started drawing comics while baby-sitting my younger brother and his Mighty Morphin Power Rangers obsession. Parodying it kept me sane. Most of the tropes of superhero comics, anime, and kids' TV got parodied or lampshaded to some extent. Oh, and the characters were all mentally frakked up. I did mention that, right?

Then I accidentally recycled all the drawings?

10. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Hey Jan!

Great job on issue #37. I liked that you used a more traditional Mon Cal cruiser design for that GA Remnant cruiser that was attacked by the Skulls. Out of curiosity, why did you decide to draw that style of a ship instead of one of the newer GA designs that we have seen in previous issues?

I also really digged that Black Sun ship. What was your inspiration for that design?

Also- a new costume for Deliah, I see. I guess that means that Cade and company do own more than one pair of clothing. :p

Keep up the amazing work!

--Adm. Nick

11. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    I used the old Mon Cal ship because I figured that anyone running with gangsters like the vigo would probably cruise around in something a bit older and probably stolen. For the Black Sun ship, I just wanted something that looked fast that could also carry cargo.

I don't think Deliah appreciated the 'new' outfit much. Too confining... :p

Thanks! Glad to hear you liked the issue. :)

12. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Jan, thought I'd give you a little heads up about two Ur-Sema Du icons which were recently uploaded. Thought you might like to look like you. Or not. Either way, there ya go.;)[face_peace]

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Jan, you've been regularly illustrating SW comics for something like a little under a decade now and have been posting among us fans for almost that entire time (which we're always thankful for, I can never reitterate too often), so I'm wondering what's it been like to be so centered in a single fandom for work over such a long span of time (albeit one that seems to have gone by rather quickly, IMO)? Has your perspective on anything (fandom or the SW universe [beyond the actual story progression] in general) changed any? Have things differed (for better or for worse) from working in multiple titles/universes?

14. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    Hi Jan D.,

With regard to Deliah Blue (whose background you?ve barely been hinting at [face_shame_on_you]), did you ever consider designing her with short hair, a tied-back hairstyle or a headband? It seems rather impractical for a mechanic to have long loose hair around machinery. Or is that how and why she?s a woman of choice words? ;)

15. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Easy question first. I considered a lot of possibilities when designing Deliah including short or tied back hair. Her hairstyle would be impractical in real life, but I wanted Blue to personify everything a Zeltron should be--sexy and cool whether she is fixing the Mynock, taking out bad guys or flirting with Cade. The blue hair is her signature, so it seemed appropriate to have it long and flowing. I've tried a headband on her a couple of times, and maybe she will show up in one eventually. Well, of course, she is all trussed up in the Imperial Missionary robes in the latest issues...[face_frustrated] Poor Dee...

16. Musing

Oct 31, 2003
    You mean you don't think short hair could be sexy on a Zeltron? :confused: While I see your point, Deliah could probably get away with it, since she doesn't seem to be a typical Zeltron. I mean, didn't you decide to make Cade a blonde instead of a brunette because it was more of a challenge?

If Deliah does eventually show up with some sort of headgear, maybe it could be like the bandanna that the Marvel character Elektra habitually wears? She could probably give Deliah a run for her credits in terms of sexiness... ;)

17. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Short hair could be very sexy on a Zeltron and I did do a preliminary sketch of her with short hair as well as a head scarf of some sort, but it just wasn't Deliah. John and I have talked about this a lot--how you set off to create a character and then how they take over and create themselves. That's just what Deliah did, what Cade did, what they all did, come to think of it. Initially, I did take on the challenge of Cade as a blonde just because John threw that gauntlet down, but now i can't imagine Cade any other way than his fair-haired, snarky self. ;)

Maybe I should draw Blue in an Electra pose with two hydrospanners instead of sai. :p

18. Musing

Oct 31, 2003
    With the bandanna too? That would be great! :cool: I'm sure Deliah'll get the opportunity if Darth Talon ever shows up again, won't she? [face_devil] :D

19. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Hi Quest!

I think it is officially a decade now since I started illustrating SW comics in 1999! It has gone by quickly--too quickly, in fact. That's what happens when you are having fun doing something and I have had a blast illustrating SW. I never set out to do that--figured I would just do an arc or with great good luck two.

It seems like the SW universe has definitely gotten larger and (if possible) more intricate. Since all of the films have been made and the story of Anakin told, other story possibilities have opened up. That's been interesting to see. A decade ago, I don't think there could have been a Cade Skywalker.

20. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I've got to say, before I had to stop buy comics altogether (financial reasons) Legacy was among my favorites on my regular monthly to-buy list. I think a well written book can still be considered "good", but for it to be "great" it needs both things. And I always felt Legacy had both in spades! The attention to detail always made it easier for me to allow myself to be sucked into the stories.

21. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Hi son_of_skywalker! Sorry to hear you had to stop getting comics. Finances, bleh. Hope you can still get to see Legacy at your local library (sometimes they do have them!) Nice to hear you liked what you saw in Legacy. We try to put attention to detail and character, so it's good to see that is working. Hope you will find a way to beg or borrow the trades to find out what happens to Cade and crew. Thanks for posting!

22. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Thanks for the response. Always cool to see the people involved in the things you love actually taking the time to acknowledge you. And I don't think that can ever be overstated.

I do however plan on getting back into the book sooner rather than later. Just not sure exactly when that might be. I've been missing (in more than one way) the mis-adventures of Cade and co. since last November. Like I said somewhere before, it was issue 12 of the Vector cross-through that was the first issue I missed. I'm drawing a blank on which issue of Legacy that was....However, some of what I'm hearing is on the horizon has definitely got my interest peaked enough to where I just have to find a way back to reading the book each month. Mainly the Mandalorians.

Like I said, thanks for the reply, and I will be catching back up with the rest of you as soon as I can. Until then [face_peace]

23. BC_SW_fan

BC_SW_fan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2008
    I love your art! I used do a lot of sketching back in my high school days, but in the 17 years since then I notice I've lost my touch quite a bit. I was never up to your caliber anyway, but you and some of the other Star Wars artists have inspired me to start picking up the pencil again and getting back into practice.
    Anyway, I have a question. When it comes to adding background aliens in your work are you given direction from the writer as to what kinds of species they would like to see or do you get to choose from some of your favorites? The interesting background characters have always been one of my favorite parts of Star Wars. I'm hoping some of the long forgotten aliens like the Annoo-dat Blue and the Tammuz-an can get a cameo appearance someday!

24. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    Jan, do you mind confirming a query for us at Wookieepedia.

Did you use Thomas Spanos' likeness for the basis of various character illustrations including Ganner Krieg and Darth Bane (the hologram in legacy)?

I think I already know the answer, but there is a rather persistent editor on Wookieepedia who wants to deny this.

25. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Please tell the editor on Wookiee that Thomas was the inspiration for both Imperial Knight Ganner Krieg and Darth Bane in the holo.

How's that? :cool: