main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jan Duursema Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Mar 4, 2002.

1. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    That'll do nicely. :D

2. SanFrancisco2007

SanFrancisco2007 Jedi Youngling

Oct 1, 2009

Star Wars Members,

Is there a forum where people can discuss about late 1977 oil paintings pertaining to the first Star Wars Movie?

I am new to the forums and would like to upload jpegs so everyone can have a look.

Thanks

SanFrancisco 2007

3. Jan_Duursema

Jan_Duursema Comic Artist: -AOTC -Legacy -Republic star 4 VIP

May 15, 2001
    I just realized that I never replied to you! Apologies...

Unless the scene is calling for a specific alien species, it's usually my choice about what aliens to put into the background. Lots of times I just draw aliens that I don't get to draw very often or ones that just look interesting. You never know who you will see so maybe I could add an Annoo-dat or a Tammuz-an sometime!

4. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    The Kaleesh Stormtrooper blew me away, Jan:)

5. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Heh--glad you liked him!

6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Hi Jan,

In light of the re-emergence of the Jedi Order in Legacy #42 and the fact that they will now being playing an active role in the war against the Sith, do you have any plans to include the grown versions of the Jedi Padawans that escaped on Shado's shuttle in issue #1?

For whatever reason, that particular panel from #1 with all the young Jedi clutching each other as Cade saves Wolf Sazen really stands out in my mind. Maybe because the scence was powerful, but also maybe because (at the time) you got a sense that these handful of survivors were the future of the Jedi Order.

Anyways, I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving! :)

--Adm. Nick

7. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    If the story calls for it, I'm sure we could see those apprentices again. It would be interesting to see them all grown up. The Jedi seem to be getting back into the mix in Legacy, so you never know.

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well! :)

8. BC_SW_fan

BC_SW_fan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2008
    Thanks for reading my letter! I'll keep a close eye on those alien characters that appear in Legacy, and hopefully find a pleasant surprise someday! A modern take on some of the old alien races would be kind of neat. Thanks for bringing back the Nagai with Darth Nihl by the way!

9. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Hey, BC-- I think it's great when SW fans remember all of the cool aliens we've gotten in Star Wars throughout the films and comics as well. I always liked the Nagai in the old Marvel comics so creating Nihl was something that just needed doing. He's been a fun character to draw.

10. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    Hi Jan D.!

I remember reading somewhere that Ganner Krieg was based on a guy named Thomas Spanos and that your niece provided inspiration for Gunn Yage. So I was wondering ? how often are real people the basis for the characters that you draw? Are there any others besides Ganner and Gunner? (And is it just a coincidence that their names are almost identical? [face_thinking])

Also, do you and the other artists who draw Legacy consult with each other on how characters, ships, etc. look? When I first saw the cover to #46, I thought for a moment that the artist had confused Deliah with the Greek gorgon Medusa. Then again, maybe one was the inspiration for the other.:p

11. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008
    Actually Musing Jan did the cover for #46, the solicit has Chris Scalf listed by mistake.

12. Musing

Oct 31, 2003
    She did?!? Wow. :eek: Makes me wonder even more as to what she uses for inspiration in her drawing.

13. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Corax78 is correct--I did do the cover for issue 46. Inspiration? Hmm...Images like this one are just there--no explaining where they come from.

To your other question--yes, I do sometimes consult with other artists when projects or aliens or characters overlap. For instance, Doug Wheatley and I put out drawing brains together on creating a good look for a Chagrian female when he was drawing Chagrians in Dark Times and I was drawing Wyyrlok's daughter in Legacy.

It's difficult not to look to character types when designing new characters. No matter how hard you try to develop someone different, there is always some other character always comes to mind. I knew I was taking a risk with Gunner who does remind some folks of Kara on BSG by making her look like I did. I went through a lot of looks for her and remembered my niece always wore her hair that way and how great it looked on her. The look just seemed to suit the character better than any other take I had on her. And yes, Ganner's look is based on Thomas Spanos--who later created the armor I designed for the IK. Really amazing seeing something you designed come to life like that.

14. Musing

Oct 31, 2003
    Does that mean actor Henry Gibson could have been the inspiration for Konrad Rus? There was some speculation about that, as I recall.

I suppose it would be stretching things to think that Morticia Addams has anything to do with Nyna Calixte's appearance. Or does she? :p

15. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Rus was inspired by Henry Gibson for sure. Nyna's complexion must have been inspired by Morticia's, but I don't recall directly linking the two in my mind when I was drawing Nyna. Always thought Morticia was cool...but how did she walk in that dress!? [face_hypnotized]

16. Musing

Oct 31, 2003
    Probably the same way Darth Maladi does. They've got similar fashion sense. :D A bigger mystery is, how can Maladi even fight with a lightsaber, much less hold off Shado Vao in combat, wrapped up as tightly as she is? The Force can make a great many things possible, but isn't that stretching things? [face_thinking]

17. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Heh. The Force makes even fighting in a tight skirt possible. ;) Maladi seems to like a close fitting outfit. With her, I wanted to evoke a belted style similar to a Japanese obi--the rest of her costume has a Japanese aesthetic as well. But the skirt, while it looks close fitting is actually made of several panels, so it has more 'give' than poor 'Tish's octo-spider skirt.

18. Musing

Oct 31, 2003
    Close-fitting outfits...that reminds me. Will the blonde who was sparring with Roan Fel back in the Vector storyline make a return appearance - at least long enough to get a name? Or is the reason that she remains nameless the same as for the poor female Jedi who was offed in issue #2?

19. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Roan Fel's sparring partner is alive and well so there is a possibility we will see her again.

It's good to be the King...er...Emperor. :p

20. Musing

Oct 31, 2003
    Really? Somehow I doubt Darth Krayt would agree. 8-}

Saw the preview for #44. The bandanna on Blue at last! :cool: Where are the hydrospanners, though? Did she drop them when she got grabbed?

21. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Usurpers are not included! [face_mischief]

22. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Jan:

I am so excited to see that you are the artist for Legacy #47! I have literally been waiting years to see your talents unleashed on a Stazi/GA issue. :D

Just remember, the GA's Scythe-class battle cruisers are beautiful. Make sure to include plenty of them. :p

Anyways, I cannot wait to see this issue!

Happy New Year!

--Nick

23. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Hey, Nick--

You're going to love this issue just on the sheer volume of ships included in it's pages!

:cool:

24. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    You are my hero!!!

I have been waiting a long time to see your talents used on Stazi and Co, but it sounds like it is worth the wait. :D

--Adm. Nick

25. masterthon88

masterthon88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 11, 2009
    I have to admit, your artistry is some of the best ever. I really like Rasi Tuum, you definetly make him look awesome. Can't wait to see more of his character and the other Jedi.