main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jason Fry Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 4, 2012.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I loath those dreams. Finding an awesome second hand shop and buying loads of cheap micro machines, namely Star Destroyers, to add to the 14 I already have... And then I wake up. Sigh much.

2. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Roughly analogous to my "finding a used bookstore with every WEG book, ever" dream...

(My god, we're so nerdy.)

DarthJaceus and Plaristes like this.
  3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    That dance is going on Youtube sometime, right?

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I distinctly remember having an "early Essential Atlas" bookstore dream. Maybe even two different ones, or maybe the second one was a Warfare one.

5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Man, I've had all those dreams.

And I hate, hate, hate waking up afterwards.

6. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I was acutaly at a convention a few years back where a dealer had tons of Star Wars WEG guide books and such. Not everyone ever, but a lot. I bought a couple but in the end didn't have enough money to clean him out =((

Since then I don't think I've seen a copy of any of them, anywhere(minus ebay of course)

7. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    You guys are such nerds.

CooperTFN likes this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I also once had a dream that I was skiing on a mountain, but then it erupted into a volcano so I had to surf down the lava. So clearly on the basis of dreams, I am an awesome volcano surfer and totally not a nerd.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  9. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Howdy, quick note for any NY/NJ folks -- will be at Books and Greetings in Northvale, NJ, on Sat. Dec. 8, 11a-1p, with the fine folks of the 501st. Come on out and we'll talk Clone Wars, Episode VII or whatever intrigues you. More details here.

10. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    The Essential Guide to Warfare and The Essential Atlas are two of my favourite books! Well done! Keep up the good work, Jason Fry!

PS: Thank you for giving Banjeer a first name!

jasonfry likes this.
  11. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Re: The dream discussion, last Tuesday night I had a dream in which I was in a book store, and found a package of new Omnibuses. There were Wild Space, Tales and for some reason even Photocomics vol 1. I even touched some of those before I woke up.

Doesn't beat the dream with dinosaurs on my yard, though, but that's always a tall order.

12. srd5090

srd5090 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2012
    Jason,

Thank you. I suppose this goes to Daniel Wallace too, but your work on the Atlas and Guide to Warfare is simply amazing. You may not realize it, but you hold a tremendous amount of course-correcting power in terms of understanding the existing narratives of stories others have written in the Star Wars EU.

The current state of the franchise is a constant continuity band-aid-fest. Authors and writers fumble over each other, often not paying attention to events that have happened, or outright contradicting themselves. Often, a simple visit to Wookieepedia would stop that from happening. It's the 'guide' books that offer some slight course corrections to mend the infinite threads of continuity. Outside the typical narratives you're able to take story elements that didn't make sense in the larger scheme and give them a new pain job to fit. For a fan who stresses about having a solid framework for the stories that are told, these books are wonderful. Sometimes I wish it were as easy as going through everything and patching it. But the books you work on are close enough.

The sequel trilogy is going to potentially crash the existing EU, but the books you and Dan have worked on will serve as a sort of 'Executive Summary' for what the EU is/was. Your little additions to the EU have made unanswered questions solvable, made mix-matched stories feel part of the same universe, and overall make the story of the Galaxy Far Far Away much more enjoyable.

You keep writin' em, I'll keep readin' em.

Thank you again, so much.

13. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Thanks -- that's really kind of you to say. Notes like this keep authors going when the manuscript seems endless, the ideas aren't flowing and you think you're stuck and will never get out.

14. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
  15. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Jason, any idea what the odds are of a Kindle Shadow Conspiracy coming along? Scholastic seems like it has a pretty good record in that area, but I'm not seeing any listings currently.

16. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    SSS, answered question over there. Thanks for lighting up the Jace Signal so I saw it.

Coop, don't know but will ask. I see Shadow Conspiracy is out, at least from AMZN. Looking forward to folks getting to read it through some vehicle other than search. As an author, that was painful.

17. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Hey Jason!

Any luck on getting some of the cut Essential Guide to Warfare material used in an online supplement on starwars.com? I am still dying to see that Panaka story... :D

--Adm. Nick

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    ...Panaka story? Are we talking about a Moff Panaka story? Because if so, color me intrigued.

19. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Meeting Leia post-Endor, no less...

--Adm. Nick

CooperTFN likes this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000

DO WANT.

21. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    How is it that you're the one person that didn't already know about this?

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I thought you were aware of my unique talent of completely missing things :p

'sides, I basically didn't post in the Warfare thread at all until after the book was released (which sort of rekindled my interest in the EU), so I wouldn't have known about it if it was discussed then.

23. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I just finished Shadow Conspiracy, it was a fun read, perhaps a little too quick since there were only ~40 pages for one episode. Still, this format could be used for more episodes. Just put up a note if you have another one coming, jasonfry

Since the plot and dialogue seem to be straight from the episodes (I base this on Revival) I only comment on the prose, which I found good but lacking details. I didn't get a very good picture of Death Watch's camp on Zambar nor of any other unfamiliar place. But that's the format, and I gladly traded scenery details for the continuity connections and character insights, especially different characters' views on Mandalorian culture. Jason should write a full novel sometime.

I'm quite sure that the last episode won't end to the point the book does, though. Or if it does, it's quite a cliffhanger. Anyway, I'm interested in seeing where this will go. Hopefully there are no 4-episode droid arcs between The Lawless and the next villains arc.

A big surprise near the ending was of course that they (show makers) all but spelled out that Palpatine is Sidious and Mas Amedda knows that. And Palpatine used one of his plot-hyperspace routes again.

24. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Glad you liked Shadow Conspiracy. That's a fair point re the unfamiliar settings, but in my defense I wasn't able to see the episodes before writing. In some places I could see concept art, but in others -- such as the Death Watch camp -- I was working from the relatively bare-bones descriptions in the scripts. I'll be very interested to see if what's on screen matches what was in my head.

The equivalence you noted as a spoiler surprised me too.

As for writing a full novel, I'd love to if given the chance. Though I do [PLUG ALERT] have my own young adult series coming out from HarperCollins, called The Jupiter Pirates. First book will be out either around Xmas or early 2014. Hope folks here will pick it up and find it a good read. Certainly I've had a blast imagining and writing the series.

25. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Heads-up that I've got a new short story in Star Wars Insider 139. It's called "Speaking Silently," and it features Rex, some cameos by other clone troopers, and the Lorrdians. It began as cut material for WARFARE, but didn't really have room to breathe in that format, and so was heavily reworked for Insider. Hope folks like it -- Rex is an interesting character to make tick.

Re Shadow Conspiracy e-book, I'm told it is coming in the spring. More than that I do not know.

Wrapping AOTC Expanded Visual Dictionary and Clone Wars Episode Guide for DK, as well as a project for another publisher (group effort that can't be disclosed just yet), and just kicked off something else for DK. Busy! Busy is good!

Cronal likes this.