main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jason Fry Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 4, 2012.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

2. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    So the first book in the four-part Servants of the Empire series hits tomorrow. It's a prequel to the show episode featuring Zare. It will spoil the episode if you know ZERO about the character, but not if you're at all familiar with him from reading Wookieepedia, the SWR Visual Guide, etc. If that's the case, I think it will deepen your enjoyment of his episode if read first.

On a personal level (ME ME ME ME ME), I'm really excited for this one because LFL and Story Group gave me a free hand in shaping a lot of the story, both in terms of Zare's origins and what ultimately happens to him. Plus I think it's a fun addition to the SW universe, you'll like the characters and, hey, there's never been a Star Wars sports novel.

If you don't normally read YA and are wondering what the difference is between that and an adult novel, well ... 1) the characters are younger 2) the book's shorter and 3) that's really it.

Get it from this AMZN link and you'll be supporting the Jason Fry Beer & Mortgage Fund, which may or not be a laudable goal. Plus if we ever meet at a con I promise to write and sign whatever lame Sheeeeeeeve joke you want in it.

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Damn, you should've given us that link yesterday. :p

4. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Buy more! Makes a lovely gift! Handy for killing bugs/disciplining pets! Great for rebalancing wobbly tables and stopping drafts! Useful for starting fires! You could make HUNDREDS of ransom notes using JUST ONE copy! I could go on!

5. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Just pre-ordered the Kindle version. Thanks for the heads-up, Jason, looking forward to it.

jasonfry likes this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Will be sure to grab a copy. I don't usually read YA lit unless it involves Greek gods or is written by Jason Fry, and this passes at least one of those tests. It'll be pretty hilarious if it passes the other one too. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

7. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I refuse to support your reckless addictions--by which of course I mean your mortgage.

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm with Cooper on the link. I put an Amazon UK order in earlier today and didn't realize this was due out tomorrow. Next Amazon UK order..

jasonfry likes this.
  9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So, basically they're saying it's all your fault, Jason.

jasonfry likes this.
  10. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Just ordered it. Looking forward to reading it, Jason.

jasonfry likes this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Grabbed it with the special link -- hopefully I'll be able to take a look later in the week.

12. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Ain't those Amazon kindle one click purchase links handy?

Gonna be reading this soon, just in time for next week's episode!

13. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    jasonfry: Will you be writing all four parts?

(Picking it the first one now!)

14. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

Hope you like it! Second one is done; am actually starting to write the third one this morning.

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    On a different subject - finally read Jupiter Pirates: Hunt for the Hydra today. I enjoyed it - the next one is on my Amazon list!

jasonfry likes this.
  16. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Great to hear it -- thanks for reading! If you have a moment, please give it an AMZN and/or Goodreads review? They really help.

Curse of the Iris comes out in less than two months and I'm excited for the reaction to it. I'm proud of Hydra but with Iris I knew my way around the characters and the world-building, so I was able to really sink into the story. I think it's a much deeper, richer book, and points to where the series is going.

And now back to the third Servants of the Empire book. Third act in a four-act story is always a tough one to make snap into focus....

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Not a plot comment, but...

I'm very pleased that snobby Core World accents are still canon. Take that, SWTOR!

Hm, there should be a sticky thread for this book. I'll make one later this evening.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

18. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  19. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    [face_coffee] It's a glorious day.

darthosaka likes this.
  20. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    I may have squealed (and then immediately posted on Twitter) when I got to that part.

CooperTFN likes this.
  21. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    It goes to show how little the Canon issues have affected me (or how tired I was) that I just glanced over that when I read it. I was more interested in the confirmation that caf does in fact keep you awake.

CooperTFN likes this.
  22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Edit: oh, I see Coop went ahead and made the thread that I didn't get to last night. I'll move my discussion there.

23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I may have squealed and then immediately posted here after you posted on Twitter.

JediMara77 likes this.
  24. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    Jason, thank you for including the line "some of my best friends are non-humans."

25. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Valin__Kenobi and jasonfry like this.