main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jason Fry Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 4, 2012.

1. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

Happy to sign anything. Some kid wanted me to sign her arm once. I complied, though I did explain to her that a Sharpie's basically a laundry marker, so she was in for the long haul.

Gorefiend and darthosaka like this.
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    In that case I'll have to bring my SW Atlas copy along since my name is in the Acknowledgement section.

jasonfry and ShanOffirin like this.
  3. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Two comments:

I. I'm really looking forward to that character from Earth showing up. I have a feeling I'm going to like Earth, from everything I've read in the books so far.

II. Those kids who ask you detailed political and social questions are awesome. I like their style.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Random Comments likes this.
  5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Here's part two! In which Jason shares a behind-the-scenes anecdote from Moving Target and says horrible things about Tycho Celchu.

Cynical_Ben and jasonfry like this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    And in which he tells us about the exciting fancy party to come, complete with etiquette lessons!

I can't wait.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

7. Fin McCool

Fin McCool Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2015
    Don't know if this has been mentioned in the past 62 pages, but Jason Fry's baseball writing is outstanding, even if he is a fan of the lousy Mets.

jSarek and jasonfry like this.
  8. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    [​IMG]
    I'll be having none of this Mets bashing in Mr. Fry's thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jSarek and Fin McCool like this.
  9. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Those are some great articles with some great thoughts on writing. I appreciate the thoughts on worldbuilding and how it supports the story, rather than the other way around, that's an attitude shift that I don't get too often enough in my own writing. I often jump straight into the lore and forget that plot and character have to come first.

jasonfry likes this.
  10. Kashuula Korulanlaa

Kashuula Korulanlaa Jedi Master star 2

Jan 18, 2016
    so jason, Modi is like impossible to contact right?

11. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

He doesn't duck people or anything like that but I believe he's a college student and really busy.

darthosaka likes this.
  12. Kashuula Korulanlaa

Kashuula Korulanlaa Jedi Master star 2

Jan 18, 2016
    ok thanks anyway

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    jasonfry Do you have a magic Amazon link for Rise of Earth for us to use?

14. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

I do! Bless you for asking. The Rise of Earth is out today, here or at bookstores near you. Plus it looks like Hunt for the Hydra (first book) is still $1.99 on Kindle, for what I suspect is the last day. And "The Trouble With Crimps" story is free.

15. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    jasonfry: Does some unreleased artwork of Coruscant during the early republic exist that was made for the Essential Guide to Warfare?

16. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

Not that I recall, and seems very unlikely. Any references to art that didn't get used would have been from the brainstorming stage, and not been commissioned. Cut material was limited to text.

darthosaka and Darth Caliban like this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    jasonfry quick question on the Trouble with Crimps short, now that I think of it.

From what I recall from the past books and the history of the solar system paper, Earth was ruled by kings and queens. However, the short refers to an Emperor.

Is this new information? A change from the previous government?

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

18. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

Just meant to show titles changing over time based on politics/fashion/regional nods etc. Menes I was crowned in 2122, so there's room for some changes over the centuries. But basic powers/domains of the office are the same: political leader of the parliaments, head of organized religions, director of commercial affairs.

We'll meet the current emperor either in Book 4 or Book 5. Right now Book 4 has a lot of story -- perhaps too much -- ahead of a great cliffhanger. Which is exactly the problem I faced with the Servants of the Empire series. Sigh.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    So Earth is ruled by an emperor. Even better. I knew I liked those guys! :p

I'll be very interested to see how things develop with the narrative moving to Earth. I know what you mean about the cliffhanger -- it was a pity that it had to be moved in SotE but on the other hand, I'm glad we didn't get a wrenching end-book cliffhanger inflicted on us either

One of the reasons I couldn't be an author: shying away from inflicting pain/drama on my characters. Too squeamish. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

20. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

"Be unswervingly and eternally loyal to the story." It's all you can do.

But yeah. The climactic scene of Rise of Earth and what leads up to it were really hard to write. And edit, and copy-edit. I was exhausted after each iteration.

21. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    JASON.

(I haven't gotten there yet. This a preemptive JASON, since you'll be away when I do get there.)

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Enjoying every lunch I spend with the book open -- I just finished chapter 13, and I wanted to say: thank you, Jason.

I loved every bit of that chapter :D

jasonfry likes this.
  23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I don't even have the book yet and I know what chapter 13 is.

Random Comments likes this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    That's because you're the one that told me about it :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

CooperTFN likes this.
  25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    You're right, I am pretty great.