main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jason Fry Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 4, 2012.

1. vstarvan

vstarvan Jedi Master star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    At first, I didn't like it either, but over time I've come to like Ottegans. Considering this is a galaxy full "almost human" alien species, I like the idea that there's an "almost Ithorian" species. Just add on some horns, antennae, tattoos, or brain-eating noodles on their faces, and you have a totally-unique-and-not-human alien species. It's nice to see that different aliens sharing the same physical template is not exclusively a human thing.

2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Ottegans weirded me out for a while, but I really like that way of looking at it.

vstarvan likes this.
  3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    How Ithorianocentric.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

4. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    So Complete Locations is now out. Five new TFA spreads and the existing material has been gone over with a fine-toothed continuity comb. As someone who bought all the DK Locations books back in the day, this one was really fun to get to work on.

I'm sure this book will launch a thousand continuity discussions, so some background on the process here. And for those so inclined, this link will support the Jason Fry Beer & Mortgage Fund. We sincerely thank you for your patronage.

Vthuil, CooperTFN, JediBatman and 5 others like this.
  5. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Will have to wait until November for mine, unfortunately, but I'm pretty sure there'll be much to discuss. :)

Now that they chose to bring the Locations books back in the day, if wonder if there's a chance they might do the same for the Visual Dictionaries. Feels a bit weird to have only one of 5 VD that is canon.

6. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    I've gotten a nearby pop culture store to kind reserve it for me next week. Gonna be corresponding to find out the moment it's in the store. :D

The ICS's for me, thanks. :D

7. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    I received the book yesterday (thanks Amazon prime for delivering one day early) and I really enjoy it so far! Question about Starkiller Base...
    Can it be ruled out that Starkiller Base was once Ilum? Starkiller Base has a tiny diameter (660km if I recall correctly). Unless Ilum's size from Legends was drastically reduced, can the Starkiller Base=Ilum theory be debunked?

8. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    This pre-order link for a "Visual Encyclopedia" by Adam Bray has been floating around on Amazon for a couple months now...not sure what relationship it holds to the "Visual Dictionaries" of yore, but the description sounds similar.

AdmiralNick22 and LelalMekha like this.
  9. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Hey all, passing along my NYCC sked. I'll be signing Thursday-Saturday for DK and Studio Fun. Come say hi!

Tzizvvt78 and darklordoftech like this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yay cool! See you there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jasonfry and darklordoftech like this.
  11. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Howdy! New book out that's a little weird. You get short essays on Star Wars storytelling, characters, movie-making, acting and the like ... AND IT COMES WITH PAINTS. Check it out -- I think/hope folks might like it.

CooperTFN likes this.
  12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think I already have this on my list. I used to love doing paint by number when I was a lot younger.

13. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    A bit late to the party, but I picked up Rey's Survival Guide today. I've been meaning too for many months and I am glad I did. I think when read with the other Pre TFA material, it really shows the skills that Rey had before she met BB8. One of the criticisms of TFA was the random pilot skills she has and other things, but I thought this book in particular really helped sell the idea, that she is a bit special.

The links to Lost Stars are there, but what struck me now are the links that werent known when this came out last December. Im talking about Rey's theories on the empire's links to Jakku and a "secret throne room" possibly. This could be a great hint towards the Aftermath trilogy and Rax/Emperor in Empire's End.

I wanted to ask jasonfry - i assume you wrote this some time before the film came out - was the Kelvin/Carbon Ridge/Revine placement, something that got changed in production after you had written it? (i could be speaking out of turn - i dont own TFA visual dictionary or cross section etc.)

14. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    What's the issue re Kelvin/Carbon ridges? Apologies if I'm forgetting something obvious.

Separately: hosting Star Wars Trivia Night tomorrow Nov. 15 at Hoboken Public Library, 6p. Program's for adults but kids welcome of course. If you're in NY/NJ, come say hi and win stuff! Details at the link....

Endol likes this.
  15. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Sorry, Jason i think you are right, both are referred in material Kelvin Ridge and Kelvin Ravine as two separate areas within the same vicinity!

16. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Say Jason, any talk of new-canon Essential Guides? One of my fondest hopes, I'll admit...

Daneira likes this.
  17. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

No plans that I know of. Generally speaking, though, the "infrastructure EU" has remained intact in new-canon storytelling.

Hamburger_Time and Tzizvvt78 like this.
  18. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Any place for a Boonta the Hutt historical reference in your future works? ;)

19. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

That would be fun. I think LFL is being cautious with galactic ancient history, but I'd love to explore it when the time's right. (Though I'd campaign to rethink/overhaul some stuff.)

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  20. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Nice! I asked because his ascension is mentioned in canon Boonta Eve lore, so I'm eager to see when they'll get more into timeline stuff. I also noticed "Old Lettow" in Servant of the Empire. :D
    Wonder if LFL will increase the focus on non-Jedi, non-Sith religions in the ancient past, making stuff like the Legions of Lettow be a separate Force-organization, unaffiliated with the Jedi Order.

21. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Trying something new: Author's notes for Servants of the Empire: Edge of the Galaxy. Storytelling! Continuity! Random asides! Hope it's diverting ... will run the rest of the series out this week.

22. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I love your term "infrastructure EU". Perfect for planets, ships, tech, and other bits of worldbuilding lore. =D=

--Adm. Nick

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I am so happy to see these notes. I particularly liked the parallels with Jupiter Pirates: the treatment of class in these stories is probably my favorite part of it. Or maybe I just like fancy people. :)

And on that note, looking forward to hearing about a particular Corulagi in the next installment...

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

24. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    So in the new Complete Locations Dannik Jerriko, the infamous Mos Eisley pipe-smoker, is described as a mutated human, not an Anzati. Do you know if this is a retcon or an error, Jason?

25. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Someone in the Story Group doesn't like the Anzati. ;)