main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jason Fry Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 4, 2012.

1. NCISliar

NCISliar Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2013
    Jason, I hope this hasn't been asked yet (and I'm pretty sure it has, I just don't seem to be able to find the information anywhere.), in the armory and sensor profile about starfighters and carriers it is mentioned that the Venator- and Victory-class have originally been designed to operate A-6 interceptors and NTB-30 torpedo bombers. Is the latter one just a misnomer of the NTB-630?

And secondly in the section about the Trade Defense Force, you mentioned several classes of capital ship, most of which have been identified in you endnotes or by logic (e.g. the Lupus-class missile frigate from the Starfighter series). But it seems one of them, the Auxilia-class pursuit destroyer, has slipped through. Did you have a specific ship from the EU in mind for that one? It always seemed somewhat logical to me that it could have been the "Trade Federation Cruiser" from the Jedi Starfighter game. But of course there isn't enough information about it to confirm my guesses.

Then again a lot of the published material just fits Legends better as it fixes some inconsistencies or reestablishes some obscure tech.

MercenaryAce and darthosaka like this.
  2. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

Yeah, the NTB-630 lost a digit somewhere in the book-creation process.

As for whether the Auxilia was meant to be an already established design, afraid that's vanished in the mists of time. (Which doesn't take long in this decaying old skull of mine.) I doubt we had an existing ship in mind, though -- most likely I would have noted it somewhere or it would have been discussed on the boards.

NCISliar and darthosaka like this.
  3. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Hey, Jason! I found a tiny sprinkling of extra detail in case you'd ever feel the need to illustrate a TIE Shuttle in words. A model-maker noticed something "off" about Captain Needa's shuttle in ESB. Looking at close screencaps and actual storyboards, the shuttle has solar panels that bend outwards, an actual inversion of the TIE Bomber: http://i.imgur.com/XAQsQ51.png

I thought this was cool, since it does give it a bit more "SW shuttle"-look, with "wings" that point outwards diagonally. After 36 years, there's still surprises popping up in the production. :cool:

Ralph McQuarrie also drew a TIE shuttle over Vader's castle, but it looked a bit more like his own TIE: http://i.imgur.com/FSYrDoj.jpg

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Huh. That's different.

I took the bombers at the end of R1 to be boarding shuttles.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  5. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Oh they are, they're based on the original concept that later became the TIE Bomber. But Needa's shuttle model is unique. ILM just took off the panels and plastered them on the opposite sides. There's also some smudge from where they had to cover the holes from the regular attachment point.

darthosaka likes this.
  6. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Finally up: here's pt. 1 of author's notes for Imperial Justice, AKA the book I hated writing.

7. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    That's a rather intriguing introductory phrase!

8. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

I need to read that series, but my library doesn't have all the books.

9. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    And here's Pt. 2 of notes for Imperial Justice. Bonus: you get a soapbox rant about being "cruel" to characters.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You are so cruel to characters, though. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

jasonfry likes this.
  11. NCISliar

NCISliar Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2013
    Well, thanks a lot for the prompt answer! :)

12. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Isak Dinesen isn't the only one smiling at the way you "put it"... ;)

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  13. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Things with tentacles! The power of jogan fruit! All this and more awaits you in Pt. 1 of author's notes for The Secret Academy.

14. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    jasonfry - I love this dorkery notes, there's so much that I miss the first time round so I have to re-read.

just out of curiosity - have you had the chance to the read the Adventures in Wild Space series? a sort of similar -ish middle grade series from Cavan Scott and Tom Huddlestone. I think both series share a great sense of family and the family bonds that are so prevalent in the SW universe.

15. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Really cool that the idea of the First Order Stormtrooper's training program being a legacy thing passed from Hux to his son came from you, Jason. Especially since Chuck Wendig went and fleshed it out more in Empire's End, it feels like something that could have been planned from the beginning.

16. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    I've read the first couple of Wild Space books and liked them. They have that Flash Gordon vibe that I think Star Wars should always have.

Empire's End was fun for me on its own and also because it picked up string from two books of mine -- Secret Academy and Rey's Survival Guide. But when things mesh well like that the kudos should also go to Story Group -- they do a lot to make sure the books talk to each other and are part of a larger tale. So far it's been really neat -- as a minor participant but also as a reader/viewer -- to see that plan put into action.

17. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Jason, I really love the "Reconquest of the Rim" section in EGTW. I was wondering if you had any plans to flesh out some of that content in other works, such as the Listehol Campaign or the Western Reaches Operation, aside from little references (like the line about Screed smashing pirates at Tosste in The Secret Academy). I find this period of Imperial history incredibly fascinating, and it's a shame there's only a few paragraphs about it.

18. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

That would be fun, but LFL doesn't seem inclined to delve into pure lore books right now. (Which I understand given the current and future storytelling.) Still, that part of the history has been oft-referenced and seems like it's held up pretty well, which makes me happy.

Oh, here's Pt. 2 of Author's Notes for The Secret Academy. The circle is now complete! Plus there's a Celebration Orlando announcement about more writing/storytelling dorkery....

19. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    bsmith7174 and darthosaka like this.
  20. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

Just a quick question, what do you think Zare Leonis is doing as of Rebels Season 3? I'd like to think he joined Phoenix Squadron and had some off-screen moments with Ezra between episodes.

21. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Finally got my Star Wars Celebration sked to hold still. Here it is. Come say hi!

22. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've posted your link over in our Celebration forum in the Celebration Guests thread.

jasonfry likes this.
  23. ToilesHeroiques

ToilesHeroiques Jedi Master

Apr 28, 2010
  24. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    They're doing a new "Journey to.." thing? Awesome! Hope it learned from the missteps of the original "Journey to..." series.

25. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    And those missteps were what, exactly?