main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jason Fry Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 4, 2012.

1. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    He was willing to outright deny it being the novelization, but he is writing something

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  2. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Jason’s next tweet was about Snoke’s Praetorian guards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    It's unlikely to be the novelization if they're continuing the trend of releasing it to coincide with the DVD release. Probably something Journey to TROS related.

Darth Corydon and KerkKorpil like this.
  4. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Just to be clear:

5. Atollon_Dweller

Atollon_Dweller Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2019
    I enjoyed his novelization of TLJ more than the film itself.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  6. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    Just got round to reading Tales of Vandor and i just love the character of Midnight ! its a great little book that has some great ties to Legends and the biggest shock for me was the lego tale such fun ! hope we see more of Midnight and his tales.

7. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Hey Jason, just a question

In the essential guide to warfare, you have a prologue of Admiral Teshik experiencing a vision above Andalia. This vision serves as an introduction and prelude to both the content of the book itself and the theme of eternal war.

But I had a question I wanted to ask?

How does Teshik receive this vision? Is he force sensitive or simply so fortunate to be given this insight by some yet unknown higher power or the force itself?

Did you develop an IU backstory or justification for this vision, was it some sort of mystical near death experience? Insight handed down from on high, or something else?

Tython Awakening and darthosaka like this.
  8. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Didn't really worry about it.

I'm a little wary of the suggestion that all mystical things in the GFFA depend on the Force -- that seems limiting somehow. Though I suppose it's not so limiting if you see the Force as vaster and stranger than any one sect can imagine/define. Which is certainly a front-and-center lesson from Rebels and TLJ.

At any rate, sorry I don't have anything better to offer than an authorial shrug.

9. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I must say I am rather disappointed, but I do like the mystery and hints of something(or someone) giving hints and wisdom to Admiral Teshik.

10. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Hi @Jason, did you learn something about Palpatine coming back when you wrote the TLJ novelization or were you just as surprised as the rest of us?

Gesendet von meinem TA-1053 mit Tapatalk

11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Sometimes a “vision” is just a personal moment of clarity. Could be insight due to years of experience, or just a triggered imagination. Doesn’t have to be mystical at all.

12. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The vision Admiral Teshik experienced was definitely mystical, from my reading of the story anyway. But that is a subjective thing of course.

Tython Awakening and darthosaka like this.
  13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    There's a difference between feeling mystical and the Force literally going "hey look here's the future".

14. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Had no idea. Watched the trailer standing in the exhibit hall at SW Celebration with ~10,000 others.

15. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I viewed it as the Force granting him a vision...even though he is not Force sensitive. Maybe it is a close to death thing. He was on the cusp and the Force showed it to him.

16. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I'm leery of saying the force "grants" anything, it isn't a deity.

17. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Teshik's vision was one of the most breathtaking passages I've ever read. Am I right, Jason, that it was supposed to be a "Star Warsy" version of all those real life legends about people catching a glimpse of the ship, train, stagecoach, or what have you, to the afterlife?

jasonfry likes this.
  18. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Hadn't thought about that, but that does make sense. And that scene does definitely feel like what I was up to. (I should watch that movie again.) Not to wax mystical, but it's not always easy or straightforward to figure out where influences come from or what you're up to -- you just have an idea that feels right.

19. Raab Katarn

Raab Katarn Jedi Padawan

Feb 3, 2018
    Hey Jason!

I recently stumbled onto your clone story from the Essential Guide to Warfare featuring CT-1226. The 7 to 10 year old version of me just wanted to say thank you for that story. YEARS ago, back during the original Clone Wars multimedia project, my brother and I created our own battles using the figures & we invented a clone trooper named Vet (short for Veteran) who single-handedly took down... a hailfire tank, participated in the destruction of a B2-HA factory, & routinely came up against both (since we had to reuse so many of the same figures haha).

When I stumbled onto CT-1226, it was a total eureka moment. I had never given Vet a designation, but the coincidental similarities in what they did were too much to pass up so now my headcanon is that CT-1226 is Vet. According to me, Vet was also the 212th trooper seen taking down two crab droids by himself during ROTS and helped Obi-Wan evade the other clones after Order 66.

Anyway, I just felt compelled to thank you for unknowingly expanding a silly headcanon my brother and I invented forever ago.

Alpha-Red, Vthuil, JediBatman and 4 others like this.
  20. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    "Clone Trooper Falls in a Hole." Heck yeah, remember it well. A fun little vignette to put together. Though looking back at Warfare, it's pretty obvious I was burning for the chance to write fiction -- I really pushed the boundaries of what could/should be in a "lore" book. OTOH, I was just following the old West End Games model, with little micro-stories throughout the text. I think I even remember using that defense in arguing for why there were so many of them in Warfare.

I like your headcanon. Long live Vet!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  21. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    Also, to Jason's mind, does Nial Declann end up replacing Grand Admiral Savit, I wonder... or one of other candidates.

22. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    New (non-Star Wars) book! Not set in the GFFA, but in the Minecraft world. Have become a huge fan of the game and loved crafting a story using its setting. It's middle-grade but works for any reader, and as usual I wind up tackling weightier questions than you might expect for a kids' book. Plus the style pays homage to The Hobbit, and there are cats. Interview here; to buy the book/support the Jason Fry Beer & Pandemic Fund, click here. (If you're so inclined.) Thanks!

Iron_lord, WebLurker, sidv88 and 2 others like this.
  23. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Yay, cats!

darthosaka and KerkKorpil like this.
  24. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    [​IMG]

darthosaka and Iron_lord like this.
  25. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Hello there!

So I've got a story in The Clone Wars: Stories of Light and Dark, which is out today. It's got a great roster of authors, some new to the GFFA, and I'm already daydreaming about a post-COVID world where I'm at some con and someone finds me because they're collecting all the authors' signatures and mine will make an excellent addition to their collection.

(Whoa, that's two ROTS hat tips in one little post. Weird.)

Anyway, I'm happy to be back writing a bit of Star Wars (of course) but also really excited to have checked something off my bucket list: My story, "Sharing the Same Face," adapts "Ambush" from Season 1, and was my first chance to write Yoda beyond a one-page cameo or two. Check it out -- as always, this link will support the Jason Fry Diet Soda/Pandemic fund. Thanks!