main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jason Fry Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 4, 2012.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I had that book on my Amazon UK list but when I looked it up today they didn't have it in stock yet. Next order!

2. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Sinre Edited out

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2020
  3. darthosaka

darthosaka Jedi Master star 1

Oct 25, 2012
    I was thoroughly thrown out of the story when Luke failed to create the New Jedi Order :p

Chrissonofpear2 and sidv88 like this.
  4. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Me too but that's a general ST thing, not a Jason Fry thing (who wrote the novelization).

darthosaka likes this.
  5. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Removed as original post gone.

6. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    Also, even if Luke never left Tatooine, it doesn't mean he wouldn't have changed and matured as well.

7. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Sinre Edit again

8. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    Edited out as original post also gone.

9. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Edited anew.

10. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    Sinre Edited anew.

Supreme Leader Woke, Daneira and FS26 like this.
  11. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Sinre Edit Anew.

12. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    As you wish. [face_dunno]

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    @sidv88; I know how to read, I don't need you go all out to win a conversation. We'll discuss your behaviour in your ban thread.

@Jedi Comedian, I appreciate your attempts to discuss this, but you are indeed more than welcome to report posts you are concerned by rather than have a general Jason Fry discussion devolve into a sexism conversation. More than happy for such conversations to take place in the Diversity thread, however, because they are definitely needed.

KerkKorpil and darthosaka like this.
  14. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    Roger that Sinre.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    KerkKorpil and Sinrebirth like this.
  15. KerkKorpil

KerkKorpil Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2016
    I started reading this today and I was enthralled, but I must finish my previous book first. I'm 94% in so I hope to get that done today and resume the new book!

16. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Hi @jasonfry hope you are doing well! I’m a big fan of your writing and hope to continue to see much much more Star Wars with your name on it.

Quick question: is there any chance this was a deliberate reference to the Nihil of the High Republic era or is it just a happy accident? I figure it was written a while ago so probably just a coincidence. Thanks!

jasonfry likes this.
  17. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Read the Yoda story. I like the ending, it's very dark.

jasonfry and KerkKorpil like this.
  18. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    It's my favourite so far. It walks the line of having to retell the episode while also including new POV from Yoda. Getting into Yoda's head makes the story feel fresher, I think, and Jason has a good perspective on him for a self-confessed Yoda "first-timer". Him fondly recalling memories of his youth while he's wading into battle was a lovely little moment.

19. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Just a happy accident or creators thinking alike. Honestly, the writing of that one was a very long time ago!

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Have a copy preordered but no idea when it'll turn up but the Empire (Amazon) did well on the Poe book.

21. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    @jasonfry A question popped into my mind earlier today, that, after Googling to see if you'd discussed it anywhere, I discovered I already asked here once, just over three years ago:
    No worries if you passed the question over on purpose, but I thought I'd ask again in case you didn't. :)

Tython Awakening likes this.
  22. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Ha. Probably rode that one because it was a tip of the hat to West End Games -- think back then Arhul Hextrophon had kind of vanished from canon and I hoped to remedy that or at least acknowledge the character.

That would have been a weird question to pretend not to see. Which I admit is a necessary strategy sometimes.

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Arhul.... I see that name and being to wonder if was there ones was a Arhul Pen-Draig in SW.

darthosaka and Iron_lord like this.
  24. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    @ jasonfry

So...as sort of our un-official back channel to TPTB...what are the chances of a cross section book for the animated series...as well as some specific ships from the comics.
    There are a lot of ships within these sources as well as some ships from the movies that did not get done for the last Complete Cross Sections <cough> Naboo Skiff from RoTS<cough>.

A book for each series with ships like Sana Starros's Volt Cobra or Janus Kasmir's Kasmiri from the comics thrown in for their prominence in stories.

Vialco and darthosaka like this.
  25. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Two doses of alas: I'm no longer even vaguely in the loop and I never had such back-channel powers, much as I'd like to imagine I did.

And a disclaimer: What follows is just my two cents as a franchise author and veteran media guy. It's absolutely not to be taken as any kind of official word, and it's no substitute for analysis by people more deeply involved/informed than I am. Which would be *a lot* of people. That said, I think it's at least moderately well-informed and hope it's helpful.

If you're thinking about potential future books, always ask yourself, "What's the hook?" Publishing -- for any franchise, not just SW -- has relatively few slots and its major focus has to be supporting current/future projects. That's the greatest chance of connecting with more casual fans and energizing committed fans, thus ensuring a return on investment. I've literally never met anyone involved in SW publishing who isn't a gigantic big dorky fan of the franchise, but it *is* a business and those folks can't ever lose sight of that. Those projects also give you ready-made hooks -- if I'm at B&N or browsing Amazon and see a Mandalorian book with The Child on the cover, I probably know what I'm looking at even if I'm not a hardcore fan. A project that doesn't have a ready-made hook is working uphill to win one of those precious slots.

That said, if you do have a hook, you can use it for a project that's more broadly focused than supporting a very specific thing. I know zero about Bad Batch, but I could see it being the hook for books that would draw on the entire Clone Wars series. (To be clear, this is a hypothetical. I know zero about such plans and couldn't blab if I did.) And cross-sections, visual guides, etc. are proven formulas that publishers can move quickly and confidently to execute. So there's one possible path for a project reasonably close to the book you have in mind.

There's also an interesting question around TCW, Rebels, Resistance et al now being readily available on Disney+ and whether that will change the thinking any -- you could promote, say, Rebels in a big way digitally without needing fancy new Blu-Ray packaging etc. I'm waaay over my skis in terms of expertise so I'll leave it at that. But fundamentally, there are so many interesting movie/TV SW projects in the works right now that I suspect most of the publishing slots for the next few years are already grabbed.

Which, to be clear, is a *great* problem to have!

This isn't absolute, of course -- a book can be its own hook, provided there's enough passion and determination behind it. The Essential Atlas exists because Dan Wallace and I wouldn't shut up about it, and because smart people helped us channel our passion for a geeky niche project into a plan with broader appeal. (Include all the movie planets, do prominent maps around the movies, etc.) Publishers can take approaches that have worked for other projects and apply them to Star Wars. But again, think about ready-made hooks and available slots, and tailor your expectations accordingly.

Which brings me to the High Republic books, and a way to end this giant post on a happy/hopeful note: Consider the above and think about all the hard work and passion and commitment it took to make the High Republic program happen. To make it its own hook, if you will. A lot of folks -- authors, editors, publishing execs, designers, marketers, etc. -- worked their butts off to make that idea into a reality, and they'll be working their butts off for a couple of years at least to deliver on its promise. My cap is so tipped to them, as an author but also as a reader and a fan. I hope yours is too.