main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Official JCC Mic Drop Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Mar 24, 2023.

1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I just saw Chris Rock’s latest special Selective Outrage. It was decent enough, and I think if you edited out all the times he repeats himself when setting up the premise of his jokes, he might actually have a solid tight five. He obviously saved the Will Smith stuff for his closer, As far as I know it’s the first time he’s commented in public on it, and although I know he’s smart enough to have held it in, and used it for material, at the same time it felt very cathartic for the man. Anyway, make what you will of it, the mic drop was one of the best I’ve ever seen. If you have Netflix, I highly recommend you check it out.

Since its creation by Randy Watson of Sexual Chocolate the mic drop has become the purest, most emphatic and declarative gesture signifying the conclusion of a performance of note. When delivered correctly it can stir genuine emotion in the viewer. ITT we celebrate outstanding examples of the art of the mic drop.

A brief history…

There was one prior example from a lesser-known celebrity called Eddie Murphy that could be argued as a proto mic drop.

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Since Randy Watson is the creator of Eddie Murphy, his mic drop is certainly the standard.

3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    For those who find this discussion a little obscure, you may recognize the celebrity in question better when I tell you he played Joe the Policeman in the “What’s Going Down” episode of That’s My Momma.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I do not appreciate mic drops, as they show a lack of appreciation for the damage they may cause the microphone.

Darth Punk and Sarge like this.
  5. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    CT is the JCC's John Hiatt.

6. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    I like this one.

Darth Punk likes this.