main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Joe Corroney Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, May 6, 2004.

1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Joe Corroney is an artist whose work has graced, among other things, the pages of Star Wars Gamer and Insider and HNN.

www.joecorroney.com

Please feel free to discuss Joe's artwork in this thread.

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Joe's a pretty good artist, and has done several projects with the Holonet News, online and in the Star Wars Insider Magazine. There is an interview with him about his work at www.starwarz.com/clonewarseu, and soon to be one at www.starwarz.com .

3. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    I met Joe this past weekend at the Pittsburgh Comicon. He's a great guy to know. Very personable and approachable. We discussed our common trade a little. I'm an artist for the University of Pittsburgh and of course do some freelancing.

Anyway, I purchased some prints and am in the process of buying two peices of original artwork.

We've got to support his work if we want to continue to see it in the Insider and/or the Internet. He has a great style and I like the way he blends traditional pen and ink with graphics applications.

A very sincere fan,
    -Sal

4. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I've spoken with Joe via email and on TOS(as Supreme Chancellor Sidious). He's a nice guy and his art is AMAZING. I can't get enough of it. :D

5. Joe_Corroney

Joe_Corroney Artist: -Empire -HNN -Insider -RPG star 2 VIP

May 29, 2003
    Hi Everyone!

Thanks for stopping by. I'm really excited about having my own message board finally. TF.N has supported me from the beginning and I wouldn't have gotten this far in my Star Wars career without their help. So it's only fitting that my first 'official' message board be here. Thanks moderators!

Besides, my pal Jan Duursema is probably finally happy I won't always have to post on her official board at comicscommunity.com any more ;)
    (I'll still be hanging out there for sure though).

Feel free to discuss and ask me questions on any of the Star Wars artwork I've done for the Star Wars RPG (WEG and WotC), Star Wars Gamer, HoloNet News.com, Topps Clone Wars Trading Card Series and Star Wars Insider magazine or any of the other Star Wars related illustrations I've done over the years.

I also recently illustrated a comic book for Marvel called 'Crimson Dynamo' (stop by my official site to check out some artwork or pick up an issue).

Currently I'm working on some new comic book projects along with some new sketch card projects for Xena: Warrior Princess and for the new Thunderbirds movie.

I'm also illustrating a cover for a new fantasy novel written by my pal Josh Radke (writer of the Wraith Squadron article from Star Wars Gamer #9).

And if you want to talk movies, music or just art in general (check out my Comics 101 section at my official site too) then feel free anytime since those are my three favorite subjects next to Star Wars :)

I'll be checking this forum daily, time, work and conventions permiting and I'll try to respond to everyone if possible.

Thanks everyone for making me feel so welcome here!
    -Joe

http://www.joecorroney.com/

6. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    Yay!! Hi Joe!!

7. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Oh this is great! Joe, you have got a thread on here now, so cool.

I met Joe a few weeks ago at the Empire Fan Fest held in New Jersey and he is such a great guy. A pleasure to chat you sir!

Joe, I think you art is great, and you do SW art with an amazing flair - I just hope that you'll soon be able to do a SW comic - this is something I have hoped for since the moment I first saw your illustrations. And I think the Empire series would be a great starting point.

Out of all things SW, what would be your favourite thing to draw be? Which characters from the OT and PT do you like?

Take care, and keep us fans happy by producing your style of SW art ;)

Tim

8. Joe_Corroney

May 29, 2003
    Hi Sal, Meri, JT, Sidious (what is thy bidding my Master) ;) Thanks for stopping by!

I met Joe a few weeks ago at the Empire Fan Fest held in New Jersey and he is such a great guy. A pleasure to chat you sir!

Hi Tim!
    It was great meeting you too. I'm glad we connected on the Dark Horse boards before the show too. EFF was a good time. I want to thank Meri again for inviting me out and having me and Jan there. We had such a great time talking with fans and meeting everyone.

Joe, I think you art is great, and you do SW art with an amazing flair - I just hope that you'll soon be able to do a SW comic - this is something I have hoped for since the moment I first saw your illustrations. And I think the Empire series would be a great starting point.

Thanks. I really appreciate that. It's been a goal of mine for a while to do some Star Wars comic book work for Dark Horse too. I'm hoping to crank out some more 'Empire' inspired sample pages and send those to Randy soon to hopefully get his attention.

Out of all things SW, what would be your favourite thing to draw be? Which characters from the OT and PT do you like?

With Star Wars, I'm not sure if I have a favorite era I'd like to work in. I've pretty much illustrated for them all except for the New Jedi Order and Tales of the Jedi area. So those might be fun for me to explore sometime. Especially the TotJ era since I really loved the Knights of the Old Republic video game (I'm really looking forward to KOTOR II: Sith Lords).
    My favorite eras though are definitely the ones which the films focus on, the Republic and Rise of the Empire eras.

My favorite characters? Well, from the PT I'd say (in order)

Qui-Gon Jinn
    Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Jango Fett
    Count Dooku
    Mace Windu
    and Yoda

From the OT

Darth Vader
    Han Solo
    Luke Skywalker
    Lando Calrissian
    Boba Fett
    Grand Admiral Thrawn

Take care, and keep us fans happy by producing your style of SW art.

Tim

I'll do my best, Tim! :)
    -Joe

9. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Sidious (what is thy bidding my Master)

You didn't forget! ;)

10. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Hey Joe, I've just been looking over your artwork in Insider, and once again, I'm blown away by the excellence of it. Is there any news of HNN being in the future Insiders?

11. GodofDeath

GodofDeath Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2003
    Great to see you have an official thread here at the TheForce.Net boards Joe! :)

Can't wait so see the next art for HoloNet News in "Star Wars Insider". :) I hope they also bring HoloNet News back online, including art by you!

12. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Ditto! (What GodOfDeath said)

Just wanted to say hi and let you know I too really dig your work, Joe. Not just the SW stuff either!
    Great you have this OT set up here. :)

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    For the one HNN edition it was said there was originally supposed to be a map of "Operation Durge's Lance"'s movements, which was later replaced by the "file photo" of Durge.

Was the map art piece ever made (even if unused)? Any chance of seeing it on your site?

14. Joe_Corroney

May 29, 2003
    Hey Joe, I've just been looking over your artwork in Insider, and once again, I'm blown away by the excellence of it. Is there any news of HNN being in the future Insiders?

Thanks JT! I'm really proud of my Insider work. It was my opportunity to take my Star Wars art to another level with more time in the schedule (those HNN.com deadlines before Insider were tight) and attention to detail. I still like a lot of my SW Gamer work too, though there's some stuff I wish I could go back and tweak.

As for HNN returning in Insider, that's anyone's guess at this point. Unfortunately, and I hate to break the news to you for those of you who look forward to the feature, but HNN will be missing in Insider #77, the first issue published by IDG. I'm not sure if it's only temporary because of the transitional phase of the Fan Club and the publishers or if it's on indefinite hiatus.

It's really up to the powers that be (IDG, LFL, Pablo etc.) to decide whether it'll return (and if I'll be involved again). I really hope it does return with IDG though since I already miss illustrating Star Wars on a regular basis. But perhaps with the recent sw.com poll asking for the return of HNN online then maybe it will have a future somewhere again soon.
    I'll keep you guys posted as soon as I hear anything though.
    Take Care!
    -Joe

15. Joe_Corroney

May 29, 2003
    Great to see you have an official thread here at the TheForce.Net boards Joe!

Thanks! Good to see you here too. Thanks for stopping by :)

Can't wait so see the next art for HoloNet News in "Star Wars Insider". I hope they also bring HoloNet News back online, including art by you!

I hope so too! :)
    Thanks for enjoying my work!

Ditto! (What GodOfDeath said)

Just wanted to say hi and let you know I too really dig your work, Joe. Not just the SW stuff either!
    Great you have this OT set up here.

Thanks, kampilan! I'm really enjoying having an OT here too :)

-Joe

16. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    HNN will be missing in Insider #77

:(

17. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Joe, look for a paypal payment from me to you for the artwork we talked about at the Pittsburgh Comicon, in about two days. (Just waiting for it to clear-I spent way too much at the con and had to wait for a paycheck, before I could send you a payment)

I can't wait to own those two pieces! They're going to have a very special place on my wall in the middle of my ever growing collection.

BTW, just got SW insider 76 yesterday. Great illustrations. I especially liked the Shadowfeed one of the CIS militia (Gossamer commandos, Neimodian gunnery battalions and Koorivar Fusiliers).

-Sal

18. Joe_Corroney

May 29, 2003
    Hi Everybody

I'm leaving tomorrow for Detroit where I'll be appearing at the Motor City Comic Con

http://www.motorcityconventions.com/motor_city_comic_con/index.html

with my pal Justin (Jedi Knight Kai Justiss) from World Famous Comics

http://www.worldfamouscomics.com/

Some of the other Star Wars guests who will be there inlcude Dave Dorman, Ailsa Berk (Amanaman), Daniel Logan (Boba Fett), and Orli Shoshan (Shaak Ti).
    If you're in the area head over to the show and stop by my table to say hi. I'll be selling and signing my Star Wars and comic book art all weekend so it should be a fun time.

I've been busy with some projects and prepping for the show this week so I'll catch up on my replies to some of your posts as soon as I get back :)

Also, check out my appearance schedule on my homepage at my official site. I've got Con Carolinas coming up next along with San Diego Comic Con and a few other shows too.
    Hope to see some of you this summer!
    -Joe

19. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Joe, what is the deal with purchasing paintings and whatnot?

I wish thatyou guys would come up to Vermont every now and again.

20. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    How'd Detroit go Joe?

Say did anyone else notice but Episode III is exactly one year from today as of midnight (5/19/04)?!?

-Sal

21. Joe_Corroney

May 29, 2003
    HNN will be missing in Insider #77 :(

My sentiments exactly.

I can't wait to own those two pieces! They're going to have a very special place on my wall in the middle of my ever growing collection.

I'm very honored! Thanks so much, Sal!

BTW, just got SW insider 76 yesterday. Great illustrations. I especially liked the Shadowfeed one of the CIS militia (Gossamer commandos, Neimodian gunnery battalions and Koorivar Fusiliers).

I actually had something more dramatic and action packed for that scene but I ran out of time with my deadline and decided just to simplify and focus on the look of the characters and make them all as large as possible in the piece. So this one might have been my least favorite of the set but I'm really glad you liked it!

Joe, what is the deal with purchasing paintings and whatnot?

Hi JT, Just drop me a line anytime through my website for details if you are interested in any prints or original artwork.

I wish that you guys would come up to Vermont every now and again.

If there are any shows in the Vermont area you would like me to appear for, you should consider contacting the promoters and let them know you are interested in my work and have them contact me for their event. If I can fit it in my schedule I'd definitely consider it. I'm hoping to eventually do a show in the Boston, Mass. area sometime soon. There's also a decent comic con in Baltimore every year I've been hearing about.

For the one HNN edition it was said there was originally supposed to be a map of "Operation Durge's Lance"'s movements, which was later replaced by the "file photo" of Durge.

Was the map art piece ever made (even if unused)? Any chance of seeing it on your site?

Maybe I can help shed some light on this. I actually answered this awhile back on the official site forums in the VIP thread there but I'll repost my reply here.

Originally, Pablo requested that the artwork I provided for this story be a galaxy map of the attack route. I was up for it and even had some decent reference to work from but wasn't entirely comfortable creating the art on my own since I'm not much of a graphic designer in that vein or a cartographer per say.

I had asked my art director to request from LFL a high resolution file of a previous galaxy map I could work from so I could establish the routes and text for the attack with some vector art on layers above the map file. But the file I needed never came in time. So at the last minute with the deadline approaching fast we decided it would be better to run some other art of Durge for this spot instead.

If you remember, Pablo and I did this kind of thing, using 'file photos' of characters, with HolonetNews.com all of the time.
    The artwork I created isn't meant to say he was there at the battle or that even he was alive at the time. With the IG Lancer droids hovering just behind him I was trying to show that this was *my* stylistic and slightly more realistic interpretation of how Durge would appear in the HoloNet. I actually tried to make my art of the character a combination of both what the Dark Horse version and the cartoon version looked like. It was just an effort on my behalf to bridge together the sources of this EU character.

Hope that answers your question 2nd Quest :)
    -Joe

22. Joe_Corroney

May 29, 2003
    How'd Detroit go Joe?

Hi Sal, thanks for asking. Had a great time in Detroit this past weekend. Stayed out way too late a few nights hanging out with friends after the show (but that always ends up happening) :)
    I got to chat again with Orli Shoshan (Shaak Ti) for a little bit and played pool with Daniel Logan both nights in the hotel bar . He can be a little 'cocky' at times, but I guess if I played Boba Fett in a Star Wars movie I'd have some bragging rights too ;)
    I even got to shake hands and meet with Ron Perlman briefly (who was just perfect in Hellboy and kicked butt in Blade II).

Say did anyone else notice but Episode III is exactly one year from today as of midnight (5/19/04)?!?

It's going to be such a great movie. I can't wait :)
    -Joe

23. Joe_Corroney

May 29, 2003
    Hey Everybody,

I checked out Kill Bill Vol.2 (finally got free time to go see it last week) and just saw Shrek 2 this weekend. I loved both of these of sequels. Any thoughts or favorite scenes anyone?

24. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    I'm also illustrating a cover for a new fantasy novel written by my pal Josh Radke (writer of the Wraith Squadron article from Star Wars Gamer #9).

Hey guys, this is Josh Radke. Just a quick correction on the above. The book Joe has been commissioned to do the cover for is written by my fiance, Kasandra Strid. I only helped her edit it :) I am writing the comic book adaption tho, which I hope to collaberate with Joe on. Just wanted to make that clarification. (If anyone has any questions, please e-mail me privately, or PM me.)

Anyway, it's about time Joe got a thread here. I encourage you all to check out his art at his site! Some of my favorites include his Thrawn and Darktrooper work as well as his Vader, Anakin, and Obi-Wan poster. His Episode I-related pieces are very nice as well.

What are some of the favorites of everyone here?

25. -Ambu_Fett-

-Ambu_Fett- Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2003
    I also liked Joe's Thrawn, and I actually love the work he's (or was :() doing for the HoloNet-News (any news about that, Joe? I would really like to see the HoloNet-News being continued - and drawn by you).