main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Joe Corroney Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, May 6, 2004.

1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    My favorites? Everything that Joe's done for HNN. It rocks!

Joe- Kill Bill Vol 2- "Can I have a glass of water", the rock salt, "To Budd, the only man I ever loved" the Five Finger Exploding Heart Technique and a couple other parts.

Haven't seen Shrek 2 yet, just the first five minutes, but I loved the Lord of the Rings reference with the wedding ring.

2. GodofDeath

GodofDeath Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2003
    Some of Joe's artwork that are favorites are the art of Grand Admiral Thrawn with Vader and the Emperor he created for "Star Wars Insider" and also HolonetNews Art of Aayla Secura and Adi Gallia, the General Grievous art, the art with Shaak Ti, Alto Stratus, Kai Justiss, the Anakin & Obi-Wan art, ...
    And off course the Aayla Secura commission he created for me. :)

I enjoyed "Kill Bill" Vol 2 a lot, nice film and I liked it had a different pace than Vol 1. (It explained why they split it into 2 movies, if it would have been one movie the beginning would be all action and thrill and it would slow down too much toward the end.)
    The final showdown between Bill and Kiddo was well done, neither is really portrayed as a villan or a virtuous person (hero), but both as fallible people.

I haven't seen "Shrek 2", actually I haven't seen the first "Shrek" either, ... not really my style of movie.
    I did see "The Day After Tomorrow" recently and I enjoyed it, a good action movie.

3. Joe_Corroney

Joe_Corroney Artist: -Empire -HNN -Insider -RPG star 2 VIP

May 29, 2003
    I also liked Joe's Thrawn, and I actually love the work he's (or was ) doing for the HoloNet-News (any news about that, Joe? I would really like to see the HoloNet-News being continued - and drawn by you).

Thanks! Thrawn is one of my favorite EU characters so I was really excited to have a shot at illustrating him. If you want to read about my process of creating my Thrawn artwork for SW Insider you can check out this Comics 101 column here...

http://www.joecorroney.com/comics101/index.shtml?20030424

As for Holonet News continuing in Insider it doesn't look too favorable. Pablo is taking time off from writing it and will focus on some other projects for now. I've also contacted IDG about contributing to the new Insider as an artist for anything they might need but have yet to hear back from the art director there.

There is a possibility that HNN will return online before Episode III though. You're best chance of seeing that and making it happen is to let your voice be heard at this official site thread here...

http://forums.starwars.com/thread.jsp?forum=24&thread=133282

Keep the thread going and let them know how much you enjoyed the feature in Insider and the HNN website. SW.com is paying attention to the fan feedback and I know Paul and Pablo would like to bring it back if possible.

Thanks for the support!
    Joe

http://www.joecorroney.com/

4. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    Hi Joe! :) The aforementioned Thrawn piece is my favorite. I can't wait to get it back up on my wall, along with all of your other awesome stuff, when I get back to my dorm room in Boston. Good luck with HNN and with the "new" Insider. You have a ton of fans here (myself included ;) ), and I hope they all speak up to give you the support you deserve. :)

5. Joe_Corroney

May 29, 2003
    Hi Joe!

Hi StarWarsChick :)

The aforementioned Thrawn piece is my favorite. I can't wait to get it back up on my wall, along with all of your other awesome stuff, when I get back to my dorm room in Boston. Good luck with HNN and with the "new" Insider. You have a ton of fans here (myself included ), and I hope they all speak up to give you the support you deserve.

Thanks for all of the support and for digging my artwork so much. I'm always completely flattered when someone tells me they display my art on their walls. I can't really ask for a better compliment :)

Thanks!

6. Joe_Corroney

May 29, 2003
    Hey everyone, this weekend, June 4th through the 6th I'll be appearing at Con Carolinas...

http://secfi.org/concarolinas/

If anyone is in the area or plans on going to the show definitely stop by my table since I'll have plenty of Star Wars artwork on hand and for sale. I'll also be doing sketch card requests and taking requests for other commission drawings too.
    Hope to see ya there!

http://www.joecorroney.com/.

7. President_Sharky

President_Sharky Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2004
    Joe, any news on whether or not HoloNet News will be continuing Online or with Insider? It's one of my favourite Clone Wars media items, and the only one that details major battles (comics concentrate on characters, so no fleet battles, turning points, General Grievous, etc...)

8. Joe_Corroney

May 29, 2003
    Joe, any news on whether or not HoloNet News will be continuing Online or with Insider? It's one of my favourite Clone Wars media items, and the only one that details major battles (comics concentrate on characters, so no fleet battles, turning points, General Grievous, etc...)

Unfortunately, I have little to report yet whether HNN will make it's return. I can say it's 'probably' not coming back to Insider with IDG taking over. But I recommend dropping the IDG editors a line and letting them know you miss the feature. There's a small chance it could make a difference if enough people speak up.

It mainly has to do with LFL Licensing's publishing schedule. With so many companies, writers, creators, etc. telling stories in the Clone Wars era currently Pablo mentioned it was getting more and more difficult to make HNN cohesive. In order to keep it in 'real time' and make the news stories relevant to what was coming out simultaneously or have stories lead in to other Clone War media coming out he had to plan ahead significantly. Essentially it was getting even trickier navigating more and more future writer's/publisher's/company's outlines and stories to keep HNN going like it was.

It made sense for Pablo to take a break for awhile and let Licensing approve final story arcs, novels, comics etc. (and I imagine as the new cartoon stories are more ironed out) by the end of this year as we enter into the final stage of Clone Wars stories before the last SW film.

This way, once the plans for the final Clone Wars stories and multi-media projects are more concrete, HoloNet News.com could possibly return in early 2005... just in time for Episode III. Keep your fingers crossed...

9. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Joe, do you know how to contact them?

10. CptCorranHorn

CptCorranHorn Jedi Master star 5

Oct 16, 2002
    my friend and I met Joe at the Mid-Ohio con back in November, and he really was a great guy.

Joe, you're really an amazing artist, the pieces I bought are hanging in my apartment now, and wont be coming down anytime soon. My favorite piece by far though is the one from the Grand Admirals article. Great job!!

11. Joe_Corroney

May 29, 2003
    Joe, do you know how to contact them?

I don't have contact info for the editors but you might be able to contact someone at the company at the IDG website here...

http://www.idg-entertainment.com/

my friend and I met Joe at the Mid-Ohio con back in November, and he really was a great guy.

Thanks Captain! Mid-Ohio-Con is my hometown show here in Columbus every year so I always have fun there meeting fans and making new friends :)

Joe, you're really an amazing artist, the pieces I bought are hanging in my apartment now, and wont be coming down anytime soon. My favorite piece by far though is the one from the Grand Admirals article. Great job!!

Thanks again. I really appreciate that :)

By the way everyone, keep your eyes peeled on Rebelscum.com early this week. I just completed a new interview for them recently and they should be posting it soon. Drop me a line here or email through my official site after you read it and let me know what you think.

And go check out 'The Chronicles of Riddick' soon! If you wanted to know what I thought you can check out my review in my Comics 101 section of my site here or at the WorldFamousComics.com site...

http://www.joecorroney.com/comics101/index.shtml?20040617

or

http://www.worldfamouscomics.com/comics101/back20040617.shtml

By the way, at WorldFamousComics.com they are running an art contest to 'render Riddick' and win cool 'Pitch Black' and 'TCoR: Dark Fury' prizes. Check out the contest here...

http://www.worldfamouscomics.com/darkfury/artcontest.shtml

Good luck to anyone who tries it out!
    -Joe

12. Joe_Corroney

May 29, 2003
    I was recently interviewed by the folks at sw.com for an artist profile. You can read all about it (and check out some of my artwork) here...

http://starwars.com/eu/feature/20040622/index.html

13. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Congrats Joe on that excellent feature. I was just coming here to say it was up (lol) and that I have started a thread on the DHC boards (http://www.darkhorse.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=60941#60941) about it too. And another gentle nudge to the DHC folks hehe.

14. Joe_Corroney

May 29, 2003
    Thanks for the support, Tim! I really appreciate the thread and the heads up at the DHC boards :)

15. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    Awesome article Joe! I was so psyched when I went to the OS and saw your artwork on the main page!

16. GodofDeath

Feb 15, 2003
    Cool interviews at www.rebelscum.com and at www.starwars.com Joe! I enjoyed reading them. :)

17. Joe_Corroney

May 29, 2003
    Thanks GOT and Meri! Glad you enjoyed the interviews. I had so much fun doing them :)

18. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Yeah! I really enjoyed reading the 2 interviews, Joe. Nice!

I love the new SW CW sketch card updates on your site: I always look forward to your Darth Vader illustrations. They just rock. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that it would be really great for DHC to have you do a Vader story either in Empire or Tales! But, we gotta see your Jango story too!

19. GodofDeath

Feb 15, 2003
    StarWars.com reported on the upcoming Topps "Star Wars Heritage" card series, said to include original Artist Sketch cards from Joe Corroney.

Joe, since for the "Clone Wars" sketch cards you were limited in the characters you were allowed to drawn, any idea yet if for "Star wars Heritage" you will be allowed to make sketch cards of characters like Aayla Secura, Quinlan Vos, Jango Fett,... ? :)

20. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    God of Death, let's hope so! :) If not Aayla or Quin, Jango fer sure!

21. Joe_Corroney

May 29, 2003
    Yeah! I really enjoyed reading the 2 interviews, Joe. Nice!

Thanks!

I love the new SW CW sketch card updates on your site: I always look forward to your Darth Vader illustrations. They just rock. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that it would be really great for DHC to have you do a Vader story either in Empire or Tales! But, we gotta see your Jango story too!

I'd absolutely *love* to draw a Vader or Fett story for DHC. In fact, keep your eyes peeled on Star Wars.com really soon for some new artwork featuring these characters (if this doesn't get DHC's attention I'm not sure what will) ;)

Also, I've been drawing plenty of new Vader sketch cards for the Heritage set so I'm getting pretty good at drawing his helmet in just about every angle possible :)

StarWars.com reported on the upcoming Topps "Star Wars Heritage" card series, said to include original Artist Sketch cards from Joe Corroney.

Joe, since for the "Clone Wars" sketch cards you were limited in the characters you were allowed to drawn, any idea yet if for "Star wars Heritage" you will be allowed to make sketch cards of characters like Aayla Secura, Quinlan Vos, Jango Fett,... ?

The only limit on the Heritage series given by Topps was that we're not allowed to draw characters from the EU, only characters from the films including Episode III. So I'm trying to do as many background and supporting characters as possible, along with lots of cards for the main characters obviously. I've already drawn plenty of Jango Fetts and Aayla Secura's too :)
    Again, keep your eyes peeled on SW.com in the near future for a sneak peek at some of my Heritage sketch cards. I'm trying to outdo myself on this set from the previous Clone Wars set but at 2,000 sketch cards this time around it's gonna be tough ;)

22. Joe_Corroney

May 29, 2003
    Hey Everyone!

I'm off to San Diego Comic Con tomorrow with my pal Justin (Kai Justiss), webmaster and creator of World Famous Comics.com. You can find us located in Artist Alley for the show at table CC10 with Star Wars artists Jan Duursema and Dan Parsons (Star Wars: Republic, Jedi: Dooku, Jedi: Aayla). If you are headed to the show be sure to visit me at my table since I'll have plenty of Star Wars art to sell and sign for fans.

And if you stop by I might even let slip some pretty exciting news (at least for me) about my latest, upcoming Star Wars project ;) For a hint, and if you are a Hyperspace member of the official Star Wars Fan Club, then visit the Kessel Mines section and access the 'Comic Con Premieres Picture Viewer' to take an exclusive peek at some of my latest Star Wars artwork :)

So if you are going to the show I hope you have a good time and I'll see you in San Diego!

23. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    Yeah, almost forgot: knowing which table you guys are going to be at would be helpful! :p

I'll be there Friday-Sun, Joe

24. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    Joe! It was great meeting you finally. Thanks again for the art. Saw the cool pics of the Kids Draw Star Wars from the OS ComicCon viewer. Congrats again too on the good news about the (EDIT) gig. :)

SDCC 2004 was pretty crazy but I still enjoyed my stay overall. Sorry if I looked like I was just zoning out most of the time. I'm always like that! But the Con was a monster.100,000 plus attendees i was told. Maybe next time I'll hang out at the table more so I can watch it for you guys and watch you all at work too.

25. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    On starwarz.com Jeremy Barlow let slip that you'll be doing art for Empire.

I actually went "yes!" aloud. :D

I'll keep my eyes peeled for it.