main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Joe Corroney Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, May 6, 2004.

1. Joe_Corroney

Joe_Corroney Artist: -Empire -HNN -Insider -RPG star 2 VIP

May 29, 2003
    Thanks for enjoying the article and the artwork :) I don't work at Skywalker Ranch, I'm a freelance illustrator working out of my home studio in Columbus, OH. Most of my projects for Lucasfilm involve providing artwork for one of their many licensees. Though occasionally I work with Lucasfilm directly on special projects but even then I send my artwork in to them on disc or upload it via ftp from my computer at home.

Yes, but I believe that honor goes to esteemed SW artist and goody buddy Chris Trevas who is illustrating the NEW EG to Aliens coming out this Oct./Nov.

I believe my next Star Wars project should be illustrating "Vader's Legacy" (written by Abel) for an upcoming issue of Insider. I might do another project for Insider before then but I'm not sure yet. It depends on my editor and art director's decision I think.

I am working on some special print artwork for COSI's upcoming Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination exhibit in Columbus, OH. You can read more about the event in my blog here -

http://blogs.starwars.com/joecorroney/33

Currently, I'm penciling the Spike Vs. Dracula series for IDW Publishing and working on the final issue now. After that... I'm not sure what I'll be working on later this summer actually, nothing scheduled yet.

I will be traveling abit this summer to appear at some comic book conventions though. First up, Motor City Comic Con in Novi, MI May 19th-21st with Star Wars guests Dave Dorman, Matt Wood and John Jackson Miller -

http://www.motorcityconventions.com/motor_city_comic_con/index.html

Thanks so much, Abel. I appreciate the support. My parents, especially my dad, are the main reason I'm a Star Wars fan in the first place and if it weren't for them I wouldn't be here today talking to everyone on the boards let alone making a living as a Star Wars illustrator.

Thanks, Ryan. I really appreciate the condolences.

2. Joe_Corroney

May 29, 2003
    By the way, Spike Vs. Dracula #2 is on sale now and #3 should be on stands *really soon*, this week or next I think. And if anyone is interested they can view the art process for my #2 cover in this behind the scenes Comics 101 article right here -

http://www.worldfamouscomics.com/comics101/back20060420.shtml

Also, this coming weekend for Free Comic Book Day on May 6th, I'll be appearing at Midgard Comics in Westerville, OH. Other special guests include my friend Darryl Banks, artist for DC's Green Lantern series. I'll be signing Spike Vs. Dracula comics along with my Star Wars artwork so if you're in the area be sure to stop by... and tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!

----------
    http://www.joecorroney.com/

3. Joe_Corroney

May 29, 2003
    My next appearance coming up is for the Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination exhibit at COSI in Columbus, OH. I'm creating exclusive print artwork for the event and you can read more about it in my Star Wars.com blog here -

http://blogs.starwars.com/joecorroney/36

Also, I just got back from Motor City Comic Con this weekend. I had a great time and wrote up a recap here if anyone wants to check it out -

http://blog.myspace.com/67296432

I recently wrapped up some Star Wars sketches for Hasbro and I'm about to start illustrating a new project for SW Insider #89. More news to come soon!

Hope to see some of you in Columbus on June 2nd!

4. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Hi Joe,

I thought you should have a thread around here somewhere. It looks like Kim and I will have to add another piece of Corroney art to our collection at COSI this weekend. ;)
    (if we're allowed to buy it--I don't think we qualify as VIPs :p)

Thanks again for the invite at Novi. That was a fun evening.
    See you on the weekend

5. Joe_Corroney

May 29, 2003
    It was good hanging out with you and Kim at the comic con in Novi too! We'll see you at COSI for sure. I will have all of my Star Wars art with me available for sale for fans showing up Friday night (and I should be back at COSI on Sunday too). The only piece of art that is for VIPs only is the new print artwork of R2-D2 I created for the museum and the "Where Science Meets Imagination" exhibit. You can view a sneak peek of the sketch here -

http://www.joecorroney.com/cgi-local/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Star_Wars/Star_Wars_Sketchbook&image=SWCOSIPrintFinalSketch.jpg&img=&tt=img

But keep your eyes peeled on star wars.com later tonight when it updates for a look at the final print artwork.

----------

6. Moff_D

Aug 3, 2002
    It was good seeing you again at COSI, as brief as the hellos were ;) We were kept pretty busy as I'm sure you can relate to.

We did manage to stop and have a small chat with Justin on Sunday but you were off somewhere.

Due to Kim's organizing work for the event, COSI did present her with one of the VIP pieces of artwork so we were quite happy about that. It will look nice all framed and in the collection. :D

7. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    Hi Joe,

I've notice lately that there's a lot of your artwork that's not on your website anymore, particularly some of the Wraith Squadron pilots you did for Gamer. Were they removed for a particular reason?

8. Joe_Corroney

May 29, 2003
    It was good seeing you and Kim again at the event last month. The premiere at COSI was incredibly busy for me so I apologize that we didn't get to chat too much that weeklend. But that's great you were able to pick up one of the R2-D2 VIP prints from the museum. Thanks for letting me know! :)

9. Joe_Corroney

May 29, 2003
    Hi PEZ,

The main reason most of my most of my older artwork eventually gets removed from my galleries is to make room on my server for the newer, more up to date work. The primary function of my website is to act as my online portfolio to help me receive more work from publishers and for portfolios I'm of the credo that less is more (thought you couldn't tell with the amount of art images I still have on my site). Still, when I'm trying to show editors, art directors and publishers my artwork on my website I prefer they only see my best work and not happen upon work that's older and not as refined, especially if it doesn't measure up to other pieces in the same gallery. This way, they won't get turned off or get confused as to the current styles I'm working in and my abilities.

The other reason is that I've done so much Star Wars work over the years, starting ten years ago providing hundreds of illustrations alone for West End Games, that if I kept it all online the server bill would freak out Justin (my webmaster).

So if you see anything on my site that you like it's best to grab the images right away before it gets recycled, especially because I have new Star Wars artwork coming out soon ;)

10. Joe_Corroney

May 29, 2003
    Hey everyone,

I posted a behind the scenes look at the creation of my Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination limited edition print artwork (featuring R2-D2) in my weekly Comics 101 column at World Famous Comics.com right here -

http://www.worldfamouscomics.com/comics101/back20060622.shtml

I recently finished new Star Wars artwork for Ryan Kaufman and Abel Pena's "Underworld" feature coming up in Star Wars Insider #89. This project gave me the opportunity to draw some of my favorite kinds of characters - bounty hunters, smugglers, mercanaries, crime lords and other assorted scum and villainy. I was able to not only illustrate a few of my very favorite characters but I was also fortunate enough to help create and work with brand new characters for the Expanded Universe. There are a few EU surprises and cameos to look out for in the artwork too so keep your eyes peeled.

Ryan and Abel came up with a very enjoyable and informative article so be sure to pick up this issue when it ships later this summer. I'll be posting some behind the scenes commentary for each illustration I provided for the "Underworld" feature in my star wars.com blog soon also.

This July 15th I'll be appearing with my artwork for the OSWCC Summer Social and from July 19th to July 23rd I'll be appearing as a guest in Artist Alley for Comic-Con International in San Diego, California. I'll be there with Star Wars sketch card artist and Kai Justiss model Justin Chung. We'll have lots of Star Wars art on hand to view and for sale so if you're going to the convention be sure to find us in Artist Alley at table FF-01.

In other news, I've recently joined MySpace -

http://www.myspace.com/drawingintheempire

Be sure to stop on by, say "hi" and feel free to add me to your friend's list if you're already part of the community.

Thanks and I look forward to seeing some of you soon this summer!

11. Spacerider

Spacerider Jedi Youngling

Jul 4, 2006
    Sorry, but this sort of thing doesn't belong on a public forum. Take it to Private Messages, or try something else.

12. Joe_Corroney

May 29, 2003
    In twenty four hours I'll be on my way to Comic-Con International in San Diego, California and I hope to see some of you there! You can find me at table FF-01 in Artist Alley along with Dan Parsons (inker on SW: Republic and SW: Legacy for Dark Horse Comics) at table FF-02 so be sure to stop by and say hi. Star Wars sketch card artist, Justin Chung, will be sitting in with me too. I'll also be premiering my new convention sketchbook at this show as well so come on by and see what Star Wars art we have in store. And be on the lookout for my SW pals Abel Peña, Dan Wallace, John Jackson Miller, Chris Trevas and Doug "Quinlan Vos" Wangler, all of whom will be in attendance at the show.

For more info check out my latest sw.com blog entry, San Diego Comic-Con, Zombie Prom Update, ArtZine, and New SW and XBox Art, and to find out what Lucasfilm has planned for the event check out this sw.com update, The Insider's Guide to Comic-Con International 2006.

Speaking of "twenty four" I wanted to let all of the Jack Bauer fans out there know that I'll be providing the cover art for IDW Publishing's new 24: Nightfall six issue series. This will be a prequel storyline to the hit Fox TV show and will debut in comic book shops later this year. The first issue will also feature just my pencil art as a variant, incentive cover for retailers. Keep your eyes peeled on my official site and on my myspace.com page for more news and for a sneak peek at this new artwork soon!

And remember, Zombie Prom (a short film with artwork provided by Justin, Jan Duursema and yours truly will be playing Thursday, July 20th at 7:30 PM at Comic-Con as part of the Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival. It's a musical with zombies... and RuPaul. How could you afford to miss that?

And probably like Jack or an undead, I won't be getting any sleep between now and Wednesday.

I'll see you soon, travel safe!
    ~J

13. Joe_Corroney

May 29, 2003
    I'm providing covers for all six issues for IDW Publishing's new series - 24: Nightfall and right now you can get a sneak preview of my cover art for issue #1 at my MySpace.com page here. Head on over and check it out.

Spike vs. Dracula # 4 (also from IDW) and Star Wars Insider #89, both of which feature my artwork, are shipping now so keep your eyes peeled for copies in stores or in your mailbox. And stay tuned to my official website and Star Wars.com blog for more about my artwork for "Underworld" in Insider #89 soon.

Also, this week from August 3rd - 6th I'll be appearing in Artist Alley (table 3206 A) for Wizard World Chicago with sketch card artist and World Famous Comics.com creator Justin Chung. I'll be available for sketches and will have plenty of Star Wars art on hand for sale along with copies of my new Joe Corroney.com Sketchbook Volume II (in very limited supply).

John Jackson Miller, writer for Knights of the Old Republic series, will be signing at the Dark Horse Comics booth and you might catch him at my table sporadically as well.

Other Star Wars guests at the show include Ray Park (Darth Maul), Matthew Wood (General Grievous), Daniel Logan (Boba Fett) and my pal Doug Wangler (Quinlan Vos).

I hope everyone enjoys the new artwork and I look forward to seeing some of you at Wizard World soon!

-Joe

14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Corroney, I don't know if I said this before in another thread, but your work in Underworld was AWESOME!!!

15. Darth_Malus05

Darth_Malus05 Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2006
    So when you gonna illustrate Darth Plagueis for us? You are the best. LFL has to have approached you about it.

16. Joe_Corroney

May 29, 2003
    LFL hasn't approached me to illustrate the character for any projects yet but maybe the right planets will align in the near future and I'll be able to draw him for something eventually.

Thanks, Barriss! I had a tighter deadline than normal from Insider for these illustrations but luckily I didn't have too much else going on project-wise so I was able to focus on them and give them my best. Sometimes I think I work best under pressure ;)

I'm really glad you enjoyed them!

"The Art of Underworld", presenting a behind the scenes look at my artwork for Star Wars Insider #89's "Underworld: A Galaxy of Scum and Villainy" feature by Star Wars authors Ryan Kaufman and Abel Peña, is now online at Star Wars.com. You need to be a Hyperspace member to access it as part of the online supplement for Insider #89.

You can read about my design process and inspiration and even have a look at some of my original photo reference, rough sketches and pencil art for these illustrations.

In other news, I recently finished new artwork for Topps upcoming The Lord of the Rings Masterpieces trading card set. Head over to my Myspace page to check out six full color character cards of Aragorn, Arwen, Frodo, Gandalf, Galadriel and Legolas that will be available on eBay when the set is released this October/November.

I'm also producing covers for IDW Publishing's new 24: Nightfall series which features a prequel storyline to the hit Fox TV show. You can view the full color covers for the first two issues at my Myspace also.

I've got new Star Wars projects in the works right now, and if they happen to pan out soon it should be some fun stuff for everyone.

Thanks and I hope everyone enjoys the new artwork!
    ~Joe

17. Darth_Malus05

Darth_Malus05 Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2006
    I hope they do approach you. I love the life like depictions. Your art makes me wish i could draw. A Plagueis Illustration...Maybe for fun...lol...

I just love your artwork. I hope you also are chosen to illustrate Darth Ruin for all of us die hard Sith Fanatics...Keep up the good work.

18. Joe_Corroney

May 29, 2003
    Thanks, Darth Malus! :D

19. Joe_Corroney

May 29, 2003
    Hey Everyone!

Please head over to Star Wars.com and vote for photo #5 submitted by JLCLuna in Columbus -

http://www.starwars.com/community/news/family/news20060912.html

(It would mean a lot to me if you did) :)

Thanks so much!

20. Moff_D

Aug 3, 2002
    Done, and you're welcome. ;)

21. Joe_Corroney

May 29, 2003
    Thanks, D Moffster! :)

22. Joe_Corroney

May 29, 2003
    I was recently interviewed for The Force-Cast, the new weekly podcast program from The Force.Net. You can check out part one of my interview here and part two right here or you can download the podcast directly to your iTunes by holding option and click or right clicking here and here.

My interview starts at the seventeen minute mark in part one and at the nineteen minute mark in part two but be sure to check out the entirety of each program and give them a listen.

In this week's second half of the interview I discuss my work for Star Wars Insider, Dark Horse Comics and my Expanded Universe Jedi Knight character, Kai Justiss.

Thanks to Jason and Pete for all of the great questions and check out part three of the interview at The Force.Net next week.

~J

----------

23. Joe_Corroney

May 29, 2003
    Hey Everybody,

Just checking in to let you know I have a new official message board at Comics Community.com -

http://www.comicscommunity.com/boards/joecorroney/

I'll still be posting news and chatting Star Wars here of course. In fact, I have a new SW project coming coming up in early '07 that I'm looking forward to discussing with all of you here :)

In other SW art news, I'm currently working on new print artwork for Celebration IV. I've got half of my drawing for it done now and the theme/content for the piece is A New Hope. The artwork features Obi-Wan Kenobi and Darth Vader pretty large back to back, the Death Star, the Falcon, some TIEs and X-Wings, Leia and a large full figure of Luke. Right now I'm working on the lower half of the drawing which has Han and Chewie, the droids, Tarkin, Stormtroopers and Tatooine (the upper sphere of the planet frames the bottom in the background. I can't wait to share this piece with everyone soon!

Happy Holidays!

-------
    Joe Corroney

24. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    hi joe,
    a couple of us guys over in the UK are working on a fan-art exhibition for the upcoming CELEBRATION-EUROPE,to be held in london...
    any chance of you making an appearance over here for the event.
    you've got alot of fans over here!

and any chance of a sneak preview of the C4 artwork?
    it sounds great!

25. Joe_Corroney

May 29, 2003
    I'm definitely interested in participating in Celebration Europe and am really hoping I'm able to attend. I'm working out the schedule and budget specifics now and am in touch with the CE promoters so I'm hoping it works out. Cross your fingers! It's great to know I have some fans in the UK too :)

In the meantime, you can definitely get a sneak peek at my C4 artwork in my blog at my Myspace site right here -

Hope you enjoy it! Stay tuned for the full color version soon.
    ~J