main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official John Jackson Miller Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, May 14, 2008.

1. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014
    I'm not familiar with Mr. Miller's previous work but A New Dawn will be the first SW novel I buy since 2003 and I have heard really good things about his writing so i'm really excited to read it.

JohnJacksonMiller likes this.
  2. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    Thank you so much; that was absolutely my intention. I'm glad it worked for you.

3. JohnJacksonMiller

May 24, 2005
    There'll be a huge raft of more detailed interviews and podcasts detailing my experiences in the weeks to come, so for the moment I've been parceling out thoughts on this a little at a time through the month in my Twitter Countdown. But the upshot is it was a good experience where having input from those who were working in other media was invaluable. All of us did our best in the old days, but having a structure making more interplay and feedback possible is a helpful thing.

kubricklynch and darklordoftech like this.
  4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    A non-Force-user "falling" is one of the greatest ideas of all time. In my opinion, one of the faults of the Legends EU (and Star Wars in general until now) is that every fall involved the dark side.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  5. JohnJacksonMiller

May 24, 2005
    Well, a whole lot of "regular" people have to succumb to temptation for the Empire to work. The Emperor is counting on it, in fact, and egging it on. That's where A NEW DAWN begins.

6. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    You're welcome. :)
    Orrin was giving me bad vibes starting with how he got jealous of Obi-Wan. It got worse in Mos Eisley, but I figured he had just gotten in over his head. Then...well, the rest happened. And yet at the very end I just pitied him.

I'm also embarrassed to say that I just assumed A'Yark was male. It wasn't until the reveal that I realized that there wasn't a single pronoun used for her before that. :oops: Kind of ironic, considering that the Star Wars fanfic I'm writing happens to be very light on male characters. Way to make me think about my unconscious biases, haha. Anyway, I loved the completely alien way you wrote the Tusken point of view. And I loved that Obi-Wan didn't tell Annileen the truth, even though I kind of wanted him to. Your portrayal of Obi-Wan was just terrific.

It really says something that I was really worried about the character who does literally nothing but stare off into space being dead. The characters are just that well done, they don't even have to do anything for me to be attached to them.

Kenobi is definitely one of the best of the EU, in my opinion. It might even be my favorite. =D= I've already pre-ordered AND, and I'm really looking forward to it now.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Of course, everyone knows the best character in Kenobi was
    Kallie. The hero worship and the dynamic with her mother was hilarious. Plus the idea of her sort of crushing on Kenobi while at the same time wanting Annileen to get together with him was heartwarming.

edit:

It's actually really interesting to explore passivity and the way people would like to bury their heads in the ground. People living in denial and collaborating through inaction can be as great a tool for such regimes and as great an obstacle to reform as anything else. It's fascinating that you don't even need the mundane, everyday evil for the Empire to thrive. AND does well with that, and I hope to see that in Rebels as well.

...of course, once the novel is released and people start discussing the plot I'm going to polish up the ol' propaganda machine just for kicks. I've got a fun counter-reading of the text that I'm just waiting to try out. Been a long time since I've been called upon to defend the honor of the Emperor and such.

8. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    So I asked JJM about the Mon Calamari doctor in Kenobi and just what would make a Mon Calamari decide to live on Tatooine.

His response was "As Rick said when asked about why he moved to Casablanca: "I was misinformed.""

[face_laugh]

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Or as a great man once said, the suns doin murder to meesa skin.

TKT likes this.
  10. Lando Swarm

Lando Swarm Jedi Master star 2

Aug 9, 2013
    Thanks, Mr Miller. You've done a great job with A New Dawn.
    I appreciate the degree of thought you clearly put into describing the industrial and organizational structuring of the Empire, the evolution of society from the Republic era, and the state of the galaxy as a whole. Ordinarily, such details aren't of great importance to me, but as I read A New Dawn, I realized how much the depth you imbued the setting with was adding to the story. Writing the first novel of the new canon was a huge responsibility, and you handled it with skill and grace.

The characterization of Kanan as a drunken reprobate was hilarious, too.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Up, damn you, up - for JJM's next work is out!

And his first Star Trek book Takedown (following an ebook, Absent Enemies, last year)

I have a copy that is currently unread, but that'll change.

Nobody145 and Gorefiend like this.
  12. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Recently finished A New Dawn, I quite enjoyed that book. Hera and Kanan are great, was actually hoping to get more of Hera's backstory, maybe the cartoon will cover some of that. Anyway, really great read, can't wait to see what's next JJM.

Gorefiend likes this.
  13. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
  14. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    What are you seeing there that suggests JJM? Or did he tease it earlier?

15. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    taken from here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Star-Wars-Upcoming-Books-Comics/104147893033576?fref=ts

16. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Just read your new short story Mister Miller and loved it, especially the reference to the academy system and Pell Baylo and his reaction to what the Republic is becoming under the Emperor and how he is twisting things that were once meant to serve the common good into something very different indeed. Also of course great to see Rae Sloane again and I hope we get more stories with her in future.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just a note for JJM fans - he has a Star Trek trilogy (Prey) coming out later this year - you can see all 3 books here on Amazon UK. I haven't read too many ST books lately but this trilogy sounds pretty good.

spicer likes this.
  18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Update on JJM's Prey ST series - I found the first one - Hell's Heart - in my local Waterstones bookstore today.

19. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Massive revive I know but I had a question on the off chance @JohnJacksonMiller was sill lurking.

1) I was just wonder if you ever had any plans back in the day to put Nomi Sunrider in the Kotor comics?

2) Could you divulge any plans you had for the Knight Errent comic had you not had to end it where you did due to the change in hands of the license.

love your work and hope to see a full novel set in the galaxy far far away from you again soon!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2020