main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official John Ostrander Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 26, 2002.

1. MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2001
    I'd be begging for Aayla to hurt Villie, exepct I think he might take it the wrong way. ;)

I'm gonna be rereading all three ishes of ROP today. I got to be honest, I'm not sure I like the ending of the SW ongoing being divided into arcs. I read every book as is, but collecting them into TBPs might be a lot more difficult now.

Question: I know SW: Empire has it's own creative team but has John and Jan given any thought to doing a story arc for that book?

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I apologize if this has been asked in some form before or not-

John, since your going to be involved in the upcoming post-AOTC storylines, any chance you could reveal the names of any additional Jedi who survived Geonosis? You don't have to say what, if any, role they play in the storyline, they could just be cameo-ing in the background for all I care. But with the recent confirmations of Saesee Tiin and Eeth Koth's death in the WOTC Power of the Jedi sourcebook, it seems like Lucasfilm has finally determined which Jedi died and which ones survived at Geonosis, and so I figure you'd have access to at least some such material for Republic for continuity purposes, which is why I ask::)

I'm basicly interested in this for the Battle of Geonosis: Jedi Survivors forum project, btw.

3. jfostrander

jfostrander Writer: -Legacy -Republic/Jedi/Purge star 4 VIP

Jul 16, 2001
    >>Speaking of villie, Jan said in her forum she has heard a rumor of villie possibly being in Empire! Can you confirm or deny this? <<

I THINK it's true but I couldn't swear to it. Look for some interplay between the two books (republic and Empire) as we go, i.e. characters showing up and events in one impacting events in the other.

John

4. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    >>I'm gonna be rereading all three ishes of ROP today. I got to be honest, I'm not sure I like the ending of the SW ongoing being divided into arcs. I read every book as is, but collecting them into TBPs might be a lot more difficult now. <<

Since we're planning the stories pretty far ahead, we're already figuring out what stories would collect well with others. Does this mean EVERY issue will be collected? Not every issue has been so far. If you wait for the TPBs, you'll get good stroies but you may not get EVERY story. I'm just doing fair warning.

>>Question: I know SW: Empire has it's own creative team but has John and Jan given any thought to doing a story arc for that book? <<

jan and I have a special project that we're going to be working on that will make it impossible to work on EMPIRE for right now. In the future? Hey, Jan and I both like those characters as well so who knows?

John

5. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    >> I apologize if this has been asked in some form before or not- -John, since your going to be involved in the upcoming post-AOTC storylines, any chance you could reveal the names of any additional Jedi who survived Geonosis? You don't have to say what, if any, role they play in the storyline, they could just be cameo-ing in the background for all I care. But with the recent confirmations of Saesee Tiin and Eeth Koth's death in the WOTC Power of the Jedi sourcebook, it seems like Lucasfilm has finally determined which Jedi died and which ones survived at Geonosis, and so I figure you'd have access to at least some such material for Republic for continuity purposes, which is why I ask::) <<

What i know and what i'm allowed to say are sometime two different things. Also, to tip too much would take away some of the surprise of what we're going to be doing. Also, i don't have all my notes in front of me, to be honest. I'm not familiar with the WOTC Power of the Jedi Sourcebook. What is it and is it saying those two council members died during Geonosis?

--John

6. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    It's one of those RPG supplements. It has some great history on the Jedi.

Here's a little bit of the information in it.

Ruusan was a major producer of the crystals used in lightsaber construction. After the planet was devastated during the battles betweens Lords Hoth & Kaan, the only other world that produced crystals in any quantity was Ilum (sp?) the world seen in Jedi Quest. Crystals from that planet only produce green or blue-bladed lightsabers.

The Master/Padawan system was implemented in the aftermath of the Great Sith War with Exar Kun, and the notion of training at childhood began after the Battles of Ruusan.

The Battles at Ruusan began simply enough with the Jedi Council detecting Sith Lord Kaan and dispatching a task force led by Master Hoth to bring him in. Hoth tracked Kaan to the planet Ruusan and the battle escalated from there.

Also, I'll have to re-read it to be clear, but the rivalry between Lord Kaan & Darth Bane stemmed from Bane's status as a "true Sith Lord of the old tradition." Lord Kaan was driven mad by his glimpse into the true nature of the dark side during Darth Bane's ritual that devastated Ruusan. This madness led him to create the thought bomb that wiped out the Sith.

It also says that the two Jedi Masters mentioned above died at some point in the Battle of Geonosis(Saesee Tiin and Eeth Koth) . I hope you guys weren't planning on using them. :(

Here's a link to the sourcebook:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/078692781X/qid%3D1029781573/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/102-7187335-7636120

Bah ,link is too long. Can't use markup codes. copy and paste.

7. xoliver

xoliver Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2001
    John,

The Power of the Jedi Sourcebook looks to be a terrific resource on the history, philosophy, and life of the Jedi. It would certainly benefit the coherence of the EU if you had a look at it. But one of its authors, JD Wiker, has said that the Saesee Tiin death information isn't necessarily so and may be based on Lucas Licensing changing their minds.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>But one of its authors, JD Wiker, has said that the Saesee Tiin death information isn't necessarily so and may be based on Lucas Licensing changing their minds.<<

My understanding is he's mentioned he didn't write the part about Saesee Tiin's death, but it was apparently added in afterwards by the editors or what have you.

Saesee Tiin must have died during the ground battle after the arena because he is seen boarding a gunship in the movie.

Eeth Koth was part of the "final circle" in the arena, but isn't seen boarding a gunship onscreen. So he either died while attempting to board a gunship or he boarded a gunship offscreen and also perished later on during the ground battle.

Be touching to see Mace recover Eeth's lightsaber, in remembrence of the "Concordance of Fealty" they exchanged lightsabers with for a time in Emissaries to Malastare.

9. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Story concepts, story concepts -- watch out, 'cause of legal origination-liabilities... :_| :(

10. MattPeriolat

Aug 16, 2001
    <<If you wait for the TPBs, you'll get good stroies but you may not get EVERY story. I'm just doing fair warning. >>

Warning received and acknowledged. I already have all the single issues since the current ongoing started so it's cake for me at this point.

BTW, John, you're KILLING me with this special project! Starting to feel like we should have an earthquake and eclipse of the sun to accompany the offical announcment of this thing!

11. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Master Eeth Koth is one with the Force? Alas, he is finally reunited with his former Padawan, Sharad Hett... together again!

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Story concepts, story concepts -- watch out, 'cause of legal origination-liabilities...<<

Eek, sorry, forgot about that stuff.

*ahem* I take no responsibility whatsoever for anything I babble about in this thread ::)

13. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    >>Date Posted: 8/19 6:48pm Subject: RE: The Official John Ostrander Discussion >>BTW, John, you're KILLING me with this special project! Starting to feel like we should have an earthquake and eclipse of the sun to accompany the offical announcment of this thing! <<

Uhhhh...it's COOL but not world shattering. And I certainly don't want to KILL anyone with it. As SOON as I can talk about it, I'll post on it. Promise.

John

14. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Thanks. :)

15. MattPeriolat

Aug 16, 2001
    Agreed. I cannot wait. But I do apologize for the exaggeration. I'll settle for the three wise men showing up at my door saying "We saw a star, dude..."

Just making with the funny.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    For your reference, John, these are the two sentences in the POTJ book regarding Tiin and Koth's deaths...

"Eeth Koth was a member of the Jedi Council that determined Obi-Wan Kenobi would train Anakin Skywalker. He died fighting secessionist forces during the battle of Geonosis."

"Saesee Tinn was among the many jedi killed during the battle of Geonosis."

And, as an update to the placement of his death (so as not to convey inaccurate information)- when one factors in Jedi Starfighter's levels, he in fact survives the battles we saw onscreen in AOTC, participating in starfighter battles that take place at about the same time as the battles occuring after the arena, then is recalled to Geonosis by Mace Windu, and this is the last we "see" of him. So his death was sometime after those levels, presumably in a cleanup skirmish or something (hence still being able to classify his death as taking place during the battle of geonosis).

Anyways, just felt I should post that as a followup to my previous post and inquiry. Hope that helps::)

17. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Hey John,

Had my shop hold a copy of Apache Skies#1 for me and future issues. Looking forward to picking them up Saturday. Blaze of Glory books are still available so I'll check those out as well...

18. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    i think we all owe mr. ostrander a congratulations for recently becoming the most visited thread in the "authors and artists" forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    >>Had my shop hold a copy of Apache Skies#1 for me and future issues. Looking forward to picking them up Saturday. Blaze of Glory books are still available so I'll check those out as well... <<

Thanks, Kampilan. Apache skies 2 should be out this week, i think. let me know what you think after you've read them.

-- John

20. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Hey John, any plans for a reprinting of Grimjack, soon?

(And I understand that J. Michael Straczynski had either been set to write a screenplay based upon it, or had actually completed it. What might've been...)

21. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
  22. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    >>Hey John, any plans for a reprinting of Grimjack, soon?

(And I understand that J. Michael Straczynski had either been set to write a screenplay based upon it, or had actually completed it. What might've been...) <<

Funny you should ask.

GrimJack, as you may or may not know, has been tied up for a long time in legal stalemates. (For those of you who DON'T know GJ, it was the original character on which my comic book career is based, A mixture of hard boiled detective, SF, sword and sorcery and whatever else I felt like throwing into the mix. Lots of people feel Quin is the direct descendant of GrimJack in style and attitude.) There have been SERIOUS talks about resolving these issues, serious enough that Tim Truman (the artist who co-created the series with me) and I met along with Mike Gold, the original editor, last week-end, to discuss what a reprint package would look like and what a NEW GJ story would be about.

Nothing is settled yet and I won't announce a return until there's an actual signed contract; we've all been burned with false hopes before on GJ. I WILL say that I'm more optimistic of a return than I have ever been since GJ stopped publishing some time ago. I should know more over the next eight weeks.

I also have to say that not a MONTH has passed since GJ stopped publishing that people don't ask me, "When is he coming back?" You hard-core GJ fans out there are a PHENEMONAL bunch.

-- John Ostrander

23. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    oh, and congratulations for becoming the most visited hread in the "authors and artists" forum!

24. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    You hard-core GJ fans out there are a PHENEMONAL bunch.
    Heh...well, we keep at it, don't we?? ;)

25. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    >>oh, and congratulations for becoming the most visited hread in the "authors and artists" forum! <<

Thanks but you guys helped.<g>

And it could be a reflection that i just babble too much!<gg>

John