main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official John Ostrander Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 26, 2002.

1. AnotherAgentSmith

AnotherAgentSmith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    Hi John, thanks for the heads up and the information. :)

"I've got the pencils that Jan did for issue 49 and they are INCREDIBLE. Best work yet, methinks. The story is complete in this issue but sets up issue 50 as well. If you like what we've done so far, you're going to LOVE this."
    Sounds awesome I can hardly wait! :D Next week 'Rite of Passage 4' should be out as well! Looking forward to it! :)

2. AnotherAgentSmith

Jul 18, 2002
    This you might find interesting, starwars.com just posted news on Star Wars Republic issue #49.

"The Clone Wars begin in comics form. As the ongoing Star Wars: Republic title spans the years between Episode II and III, it will chronicle the events of the Clone Wars. The elite Jedi are now the guiding generals of the Republic's clone army, and the battle against the Separatists spreads across the galaxy. On the space station known as the Wheel, Jedi Knight Aayla Secura seeks out an unscrupulous gunrunner with badly needed intelligence regarding Separatist plans. Cloak and dagger is a dangerous game, and the rules of the Jedi Code often get in the way. How far will a Jedi go to gain the advantage in the ongoing war?
    Star Wars: Republic #49, by John Ostrander and Jan Duursema, is scheduled for release on December 18."

Sounds great! :D I'm looking forward to it! :)

3. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    The Wheel...??

Nice. :D

4. MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2001
    Really looking forward to #49. Read the preview last night and knowing what's coming, it's going to be a lot of fun.

Out of curiosity, does #49 have a title? My impression from the preview would be it's going to be called "The Wheel". Or would any of this be telling?

Thanks.

5. jfostrander

jfostrander Writer: -Legacy -Republic/Jedi/Purge star 4 VIP

Jul 16, 2001
    >>Out of curiosity, does #49 have a title? My impression from the preview would be it's going to be called "The Wheel". Or would any of this be telling? <<

The name >I< gave to this story is SACRIFICE. I'm not sure if it is approved but i don't see why it wouldn't be.

John

6. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    For those who are interested --

I just began a three issue story arc in LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT over at DC and the stroy arc is called "Loyalties". If you read it and want to comment, feel free. I'll also be doing a single issue of JUSTICE LEAGUE ADVENTURES, based on the cartoon show. That'll be coming up in a few months.

-- John Ostrander

7. chaingunsofdoom

chaingunsofdoom Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2002
    Hi John,

I bought the first issue of your new LOTDK story arc (159) yesterday and it was great! Can't wait for parts 2 and 3. :)

Since you always seem to be busy with SW and other things, how/where do you get the time for one-off issues like Spectre or this new LOTDK arc?

- CGD

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Funny enough, I swung by this thread to ask something that had been bugging me for awhile- what VIllie's voice was like- and I find most of the question answered a couple pages back, with that russian/mexican description.

To elaborate on that topic though- what do you envision his voice's pitch like?

I know I'm probably wrong, and it's probably just based on his devilish look and the way he talks, but I've always pictured Villie with a higher pitched voice..kind of a cross between Bugs Bunny and Gollum...ya know, yer typical "henchman" voice (not that that description fits Villie)...I dunno why, but I've found it hard to picture him with a deeper voice (although the russian/mexican accent description might help).

Just curious ::)

9. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    >>Since you always seem to be busy with SW and other things, how/where do you get the time for one-off issues like Spectre or this new LOTDK arc?
    <<

Not that hard, really. I can usually do four books a month without a problem and, in a pinch, could and have done six. The odd thing is -- the more I write, the easier it is. If i run into a problem on one story, i switch over to a different one. Meanwhile, the problem is playing out somewhere in my fevered subconcious or back of my head so that, byt the time I return to the first story again, i "see" the answer.

-- John

10. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    >>Funny enough, I swung by this thread to ask something that had been bugging me for awhile- what VIllie's voice was like- and I find most of the question answered a couple pages back, with that russian/mexican description.

>>To elaborate on that topic though- what do you envision his voice's pitch like?

>>I know I'm probably wrong, and it's probably just based on his devilish look and the way he talks, but I've always pictured Villie with a higher pitched voice..kind of a cross between Bugs Bunny and Gollum...ya know, yer typical "henchman" voice (not that that description fits Villie)...I dunno why, but I've found it hard to picture him with a deeper voice (although the russian/mexican accent description might help).<<

One of the great things about comics is that, whatever pitch you want the character to speak at, that's the way he or she speaks! For you. No one right answer.

For me, Villie speaks in a deeper, gravelly voice. But that's me. So long as the character (ANY character) "speaks" to you, in your mind's ear, then it's cool.

-- John

11. VILLIEMACE

VILLIEMACE Jedi Youngling star 2

May 15, 2001
    I feel that in future issues we should see quite a bit of Anakin and Obi wan as they are the main characters of the clone war saga. However, i think as well you should stick with Quinlan, Aayla and Villie as they are all characters that I have grown used to and are extremely fond of.

12. AnotherAgentSmith

Jul 18, 2002
    Hi John! :)

A question, if I may be so bold please. In 'Darkness', when Tholme meets up with Tra'saa (after she helps/saves Quinlan) ther eis a scene, drawn by Ms. Duursema of Tholme and Tra'saa looking at each other which is so expertly done, wiht great detail and emotion just flowing from the page. The way both Tholme and Tra'saa are drawn, their facial expressions and body language (as well as what they say and how) indicates that there is more to them than meets the eye. Respectful attraction, chemistry and a possible common past can be deduced.

Is that accurate? Is there more beneath the surface going on between Tholme and Tra'saa, is there attraction?

I observed and asked this of Ms. Duursema and she told me to ask you about it and insist. Now we wouldn't want to let a great lady such as Ms. Duursema down would we? :) So thank you for explaining this please. :)

13. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm really looking forward to issue 49 and onward! It's pretty cool to have parts of the Clone Wars revealed so fast after AOTC (other than GBG:CC and the Boba Fett books).

14. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Congratulations John!

Aayla Secura is on the cover of Star Wars Insider #62! Thanks for warming up to Jan's daughter's idea that she is a cool Jedi character.

15. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    >>Hi John!

A question, if I may be so bold please. In 'Darkness', when Tholme meets up with Tra'saa (after she helps/saves Quinlan) ther eis a scene, drawn by Ms. Duursema of Tholme and Tra'saa looking at each other which is so expertly done, wiht great detail and emotion just flowing from the page. The way both Tholme and Tra'saa are drawn, their facial expressions and body language (as well as what they say and how) indicates that there is more to them than meets the eye. Respectful attraction, chemistry and a possible common past can be deduced.

>>Is that accurate? Is there more beneath the surface going on between Tholme and Tra'saa, is there attraction?

>>I observed and asked this of Ms. Duursema and she told me to ask you about it and insist. Now we wouldn't want to let a great lady such as Ms. Duursema down would we? So thank you for explaining this please.<<

The nice thing about such scenes is that they are open to interpretation. Now, we know that Jedi cannot form lasting relationships. OTOH, George Lucas himself in an interview said that Jedi are not celibate.

Certainly, we can deduce from the scene that Tholme and T'ra S'aa have met before and know each other well. Certainly, there appears to be a familiarity and a fondness between them. How deep does that go? Or did go? Until a story appears making that plain, you're free to fill in the blanks yourself.

So you tell me. All of you. How well do Tholme and T'ra S'aa know each other? I know in my heart what that answer would be but I'm more interested in hearing what YOU folks think.

John

16. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    >>Congratulations John!

>>Aayla Secura is on the cover of Star Wars Insider #62! Thanks for warming up to Jan's daughter's idea that she is a cool Jedi character.<<

Thanks to Sian! It IS pretty cool, isn't it?Now here's a real funny thing; i was over at Jan's house the other day, talking about our next SW story (for the special project) and who calls up but Amy! I actually got a chance to get on the phone and say hi; we've never met or talked before. She's very thrilled with the cover.

Way too cool.

John

17. AnotherAgentSmith

Jul 18, 2002
    Hi John, thank you for the reply and the info on Tholme and Tra'saa, I appreciate it. :)

"The nice thing about such scenes is that they are open to interpretation. Now, we know that Jedi cannot form lasting relationships. OTOH, George Lucas himself in an interview said that Jedi are not celibate."
    That's what I like in many of your (and Ms. Duursema's) comics, in the story and detailing a perfect amount of things are hinted to and seemingly apparent but yet are uncertain and open to much theorizing, speculation and even day-dreaming so to speak. While never being to vague or elusive. Great and intelligent entertainment I'd say. :)

"So you tell me. All of you. How well do Tholme and T'ra S'aa know each other? I know in my heart what that answer would be but I'm more interested in hearing what YOU folks think."
    To put it rather simply I think they're sweet on each other. ;)
    I'm currently reading 'The Approaching Storm' where you see a lot of interaction between Obi-Wan Kenobi and Luminara Unduli and something similar yet more minute and withheld is beneath the surface of those two Jedi's interaction.
    So my personal opinion is that sometimes Jedi such as Tholme and Tra'saa find something more in each others essence while meeting or interacting. Due to the natur eof their lifestyle and bond with the Force, and life 'in service' of the Force their interaction and more sensual attraction -so to speak- is different from that of 'regular' non-Force sensitive people.

There is a great deal of 'Force attraction', by this I mean that above mere physical attraction they see and feel each other on a far deeper level, their interaction and mutual admiration stems from understanding, learning and discovering what the other persons essence is in the Force. To put it rather 'romantically', Jedi such as tholme and Tra'saa grow more than fond of one another because their attraction is based on the 'heart and soul' of the other and somewhat transcends regular attraction. Mere physical attraction is almost not an issue, the real bond is much deeper, on a spiritual level.

Maybe the Jedi in such a way can truly find what we call 'soulmates'? They 'pair' or grown a certain 'love' for one another based on this deeper bond and attraction where posession or mere physical bonding is not present, mainly due to the Jedi lifestyle in the Episode II era.
    (In the NJO era we see Jedi do get married but that any physical or more regular attraction is merely the surface of their relationship but that their bond dwels far deeper than that.)

Perhaps the will of the Force is at play here?
    I'd like to think the Jedi and their bond with the Force is much intertwined with their actions and fate so it is not unthinkable some might see a more fatalistic pairing and love, where the bond and emotions are clear and strong yet so largely unexplainable. (A prime example being Anakin and Padme, any mere youth lust or crush would not last. There is a fatality of fate present, to which in Episode II many hints point to. Which plays nicely into a 'will of the Force' theory.)

The Force might 'allow' or even 'steer' them into a deeper attraction and bond while they still can be in control of their own fate. The Force merely lays out the paths, they must decide which to walk.
    (Which is an angle I'm trying to explore in my 'lil' insignificant fanfic story'. :p )

"Now here's a real funny thing; i was over at Jan's house the other day, talking about our next SW story (for the special project) and who calls up but Amy!"
    I'd so wish to be a fly on the wall sometimes! :p It'd be so awesome if I'd ever get to talk with Ms. Allen, Ms. Duursema or yourself in real life. Though the risk of me going al 'mushy fanboy' is real and that might not be so good for my image in your eyes. :p

18. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    Hey John,

Wow, you got to talk to Amy! That is just so awesome you finally were able to talk to "Aayla", man! Great to hear she was thrilled about. Actually, its great that you ALL were there when she called!! Was Sian there was well? That'd been so unreal...

Now we non-subscribers gotta wait about 2 weeks to get our own copy!

19. CertainDeath

CertainDeath Jedi Master star 1

Sep 15, 2002
    Mr. Ostrander, have you read Tom Veitch's Dark Empire? I was reading it last night and it just struck me that Luke says he's in a dungeon ship, the type that was used to transport Jedi Knights during the clone wars! How cool would it be to see that in the Clone Wars comics! After all, you guys used the cloakshape fighter in Rite of Passage 2 which was first seen chasing Han Solo on Nar Shadda in k Empire 1

20. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    >>Wow, you got to talk to Amy! That is just so awesome you finally were able to talk to "Aayla", man! Great to hear she was thrilled about. Actually, its great that you ALL were there when she called!! Was Sian there was well? That'd been so unreal...<<

Sian was the one who brought the phone out to her Mom where we were talking on the deck. She wouldn't tell her Mom who it was, just grinned, and then Jan was flabbergasted to find out it was Amy. Too cool.

-- John

21. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Mr. Ostrander, have you read Tom Veitch's Dark Empire? I was reading it last night and it just struck me that Luke says he's in a dungeon ship, the type that was used to transport Jedi Knights during the clone wars! How cool would it be to see that in the Clone Wars comics! After all, you guys used the cloakshape fighter in Rite of Passage 2 which was first seen chasing Han Solo on Nar Shadda in k Empire 1
    Yeah, these would indeed be interesting to somehow incorporate into the fabric of the current continuity. From what I recall from both the mini-series and the Dark Empire Sourcebook, they were called "Imperial Dungeon Ships" at the time, but this could certainly be tweaked a bit to perhaps be a utility of the Separatists. After all, Count Dooku himself is working towards the establishment of what will eventually become the Galactic Empire (and it's really present in all but name anyways, at the end of the film), and could be considered one of the very first "Imperials." In fact, I imagine that we will see him taking a hand in its formal installation as a governing entity in Lucas's next film, before meeting his ultimate fate.

Either that, or they come in at the tail-end of the wars, and during the Great Purge, both of which could conceivably take place during the running-time of Episode III. So really, either way, the Dungeon Ships could be interwoven into the current continuity without too much sturm und drang.

Sian was the one who brought the phone out to her Mom where we were talking on the deck. She wouldn't tell her Mom who it was, just grinned, and then Jan was flabbergasted to find out it was Amy. Too cool.
    Nifty... :cool:

22. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    >>Sian was the one who brought the phone out to her Mom where we were talking on the deck. She wouldn't tell her Mom who it was, just grinned, and then Jan was flabbergasted to find out it was Amy. Too cool.<<

Pretty slick! That's the way to do it! :cool:

23. CertainDeath

CertainDeath Jedi Master star 1

Sep 15, 2002
    Leto II,

It's as simple as saying that the Empire absorbed remaining Confederacy forces after the Confederacy was defeated. No biggy.

The dungeon ships used to be Confederate vessels, now they're Imperial.

Just like the Spaarti stuff probaly used to belong to the Confederacy, they soon belonged to Palpatine for his cloning needs.

What was once Confederacy was soon Imperial. :)

\Death/

*-\[T]/-*

24. AnotherAgentSmith

Jul 18, 2002
    Hi John. :)

"Sian was the one who brought the phone out to her Mom where we were talking on the deck. She wouldn't tell her Mom who it was, just grinned, and then Jan was flabbergasted to find out it was Amy. Too cool."
    That's just so awesome and even cute! :)

25. MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2001
    So cute... between Sian, John, Jan and Amy, we got our own SW family going on here! Extended as it may be. ;)

Rite of Passage 4 tomorrow at LAST! I can't wait to see what happens!

Oh and as to Tholme and T'ra, well there was one frame in Darkness where they were talking to each other that just seemed... well, what I like to call an Anakin/Padme pose. It seems to say a close romantic relationship more than them saying anything in words. So my mind is there is something going on there that will *hopefully* be explored in the not too distant future.