main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official John Ostrander Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 26, 2002.

1. jfostrander

jfostrander Writer: -Legacy -Republic/Jedi/Purge star 4 VIP

Jul 16, 2001
    >>Any chance we'll ever get to see you do some more pre-Episode I stories? Perhaps showing how Tholme, Tra'saa, Zao, Dooku, Qui-Gon operated during this time?<<

That would depend on what direction Jan and i are going after REPUBLIC ends, wouldn't it? And we're not telling right now. . . <g>

-- John

2. Sithoid

Sithoid Jedi Youngling

Sep 2, 2005
    Wow. If you can't tell us anything about Dama Montalvo and others, we can only hope :)

3. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    There's a difference between COULD tell you and WON'T. <g> Some will pop up relatively soon.

-- John

4. Joser_Kyind

Joser_Kyind Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2005
    Zao's in Republic #79!

5. grahamh_100

grahamh_100 Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2005
    Hi John,

Just read Republic #78 - I wasn't overly enthused by a Vader flexing his muscle story (as this one shot was implied to be), I was too excited to find out what becomes of Quinlan Vos. However, I thoroughly enjoyed this issue. It was a really nice, well paced issue with all the resolution I could ask for! The twist was a genuine surprise and a pleasant one at that.

I don't want to say too much more for those who haven't read it, but once again, another fantastic issue!!

Graham

6. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    Thanks, Graham. I think it WAS nicely effective and I'm glad you thought so, too. The PURGE issue WILL be more Vader and he WILL flex his muscles but it will also have some plot twists in it, I think. As for Quin, I think the Kashyyk storyline will help put all the events that happened there into a CONTEXT and, i hope, will ultimately prove satisfying -- in its own way -- as well.

-- John

7. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    I've just discovered the Republic comics, and I've been patronizing my friendly neighborhood comic shop (I have one! Two blocks away! It's great!) since to pick up what back issues they have. I've gotten through Jedi:Dooku, 73,74,and 77 so far, and am eagerly awaiting the next Quinlan arc.

I have to admit to much wondering about what Dooku's plans for Quinlan actually were. The apparent fact that he and Sora and the other Dark Jedi didn't know about Sidious meant I suppose that they didn't answer to Sidious either - and Quinlan's obsession with killing the second Sith lord seems very carefully cultivated. The way he and Quinlan invoke Qui-gon at each other during Dooku is also very interesting. I think things could have been very different if Tholme and Aayla hadn't been so darn stubborn...

And is Aayla Quinlan's apprentice or Tholme's? What's the deal with that?

8. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    Aayla was Quin's padawan first but, when their memories were taken from them and Quin had to be retrained as a Jedi, Tholme took over as Aayla's master. Quin and Aayla's early, pre-Clone War story are covered in the TPBs TWILIGHT, DARKNESS, and RITE OF PASSAGE. The TPBs (trade paperbacks) gather back issues of Star Wars into a single volume, if you're interested.

As far back as TWILIGHT. darth Sidious has had an interest in Quin and it is more his interest than Dooku's, I think. The plan would have been to turn Quin to a true Dark Jedi but let him be a double agent within the Jedi ranks. Quin had an obsession with finding the "second Sith" that the Sith played against him; Quin justified any number of things he did against that.

Quin's saga reached it's climax with the recently published SIEGE OF SALEUCAMI arc in STAR WARS REPUBLIC. It has not yet been gathered into a TPB although it probably will be. There will be another arc with Quin set on Kashyyk starting later this year.

Glad you like what you've seen thus far! Quin has been, I think, a compelling character and the fans seem to like him.

-- John

9. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    I have to admit to being more of a Tholme fan, and I also like to watch the Count in action. Is there any history between them? And has Tholme honed his clone-dodging skillz enough over the past five months to stand a chance during the Purge?

10. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    The two part lead in to the SIEGE OF SALEUCAMI (SWR 72-73 if i got the numbering correct) had flashbacks showing Tholme battling Dooku soon after Geonosis and getting almost killed then. The scars that we see on Tholme in the later issue were incurred at the hands of Dooku. Prior to that we didn't see any interaction between them but I don't know how much has been shown/written about the time BEFORE Dooku became a Sith.

Did Tholme survive Order 66? The answer will be forthcoming.

-- John

11. JediBaylen

JediBaylen Jedi Youngling

Feb 3, 2002
    John if you don't mind my asking, Dark Horse's SW announcements have been absent with *any* news of you and Jan even being on a SW project. Any chance you could at least confirm something is still in the works with the two of you? Also regarding the GrimJack vol. 3 misprints, has there been any news on the error being corrected in current prints? I'd love to buy the trade but would really like to wait until it has the missing pages back in it. Thanks again for your time here!

12. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    excuse me for saying so mr. o...

but considering from what i know republice will soon come to an end and purge will be your next project.

imho - shouldnt purge be more than just a limited series?

isnt the purge such a major plot in the gffa and isnt it the best avenue for addressing the fate of so many of the wayward jedi you have introduced in your comics? [w/o my needing to list names]

maybe you have bigger plans than i know of... but it's hard to believe that a lot of the jedi we know of in your books were all killed by order 66 considering many of them didnt strike me as jedi heavily involved in the clone wars and would thus be out of range of the clones.

do you think you'll be able to wrap things up nicely or do you feel you are rushing things?
    or is there something else planned?

i have always been disappointed that we never got to see a yoda / zao conversation.... perhaps you could get him to pitstop on dagobah [face_praying]

13. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    >>Dark Horse's SW announcements have been absent with *any* news of you and Jan even being on a SW project. Any chance you could at least confirm something is still in the works with the two of you?<<

We're hard at work. VERY hard at work.

>> Also regarding the GrimJack vol. 3 misprints, has there been any news on the error being corrected in current prints? I'd love to buy the trade but would really like to wait until it has the missing pages back in it.<<

Wish I knew. I keep checking with them. As soon as i know, I'll come back and tell you.

-- John

14. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    RE: Purge

The decision to do PURGE as a one issue Special was made by DH and then I was hired to write it. It basically reflects decisions made by LFL and concerns restrictions for that era. My story will NOT be the whole story of the Purge but, rather, one set IN it. It wouldn't be possible to do a definitive, complete, end all story for that in 22 pages which is what we've got. OTOH, I think we have a fine story to tell you in those 22 pages that will have some surprises and some emotional wallop. Hope you'll tell me what you think when it comes out.

-- John

15. Aaron-Wan-Kenobi

Aaron-Wan-Kenobi Temp CR Orange County, CA star 3 VIP

Dec 8, 2002
    Looking forward to this book.

16. Sithoid

Sithoid Jedi Youngling

Sep 2, 2005
    Hello, John! I have some questions again.

1) Is a cameo Jedi Rii'ke En's name a hint at Carlist Riiekan? Is he a human?
    2) Asajj Ventress lost her dual sabers in Clone Wars #7 - so why her master's saber was whole when Obi-Wan stole it?
    3) Are Quinlan's eyes green or brown? They seem to alter in various shots.
    4) What was wrong with Tholme's leg and why did he have to replace it?

17. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    We'll see what i can answer but i'm scratching my head.

>>1) Is a cameo Jedi Rii'ke En's name a hint at Carlist Riiekan? Is he a human?<<

Jog my memory. What issue was this?

>>2) Asajj Ventress lost her dual sabers in Clone Wars #7 - so why her master's saber was whole when Obi-Wan stole it? <<

Confused here as well. Stolen in Clone Wars Adventures or the TPB? Also, I think the story where Obi-Wan stole it was one that Haden wrote, wasn't it?

>>3) Are Quinlan's eyes green or brown? They seem to alter in various shots.<<

Best to ask Jan. I defer all art questions to Jan. I get in MUCH less trouble that way.<g>

>>4) What was wrong with Tholme's leg and why did he have to replace it?<<

Ah! One I DO know! We revealed that in a flashback that was part of the Tholme two-parter leading into the Siege of saleucami, I think. He and Sora Bulq confronted Count Dooku shortly after Geonosis (relatively speaking) and got whupped. (This wa salso before Sora was turned.) Tholme was buried under rock after being scarred by Dooku's lightsaber. The damage to his leg happened then. If my memory serves me correctly. Which it doesn't always do.<g>

-- John

18. Exar_Xan

Exar_Xan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 29, 2001
    >>2) Asajj Ventress lost her dual sabers in Clone Wars #7 - so why her master's saber was whole when Obi-Wan stole it? <<

Confused here as well. Stolen in Clone Wars Adventures or the TPB? Also, I think the story where Obi-Wan stole it was one that Haden wrote, wasn't it?

I think he means that the lightsabers she had that were green and blue (assumingly the same ones she have in flashbacks in the comics) that got destroyed in episode 7 of the Clone Wars animated series. I was wondering the same since those in the cartoon got destroyed by Dooku.

19. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    To be honest, I have problems with the "continuity" in the CW cartoons. They don't seem to be bound by the same rules I had to play by. And I'm not sure i'm the one to ask about those lightsabers since I didn't writer either the stories for the cartoon or the Republic stories that dealt with them. I didn't specify one set of lightsabers or another. I can tell you that the art, including the lightsabers, had to be approved by LFL, same as the script and the plot. I have to work under the assumption that if everything's been okay, then we're legit. I really don't know more about it that that. Sorry!

-- John

20. Exar_Xan

Exar_Xan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 29, 2001
    Hey dont be sorry, I figured you would say that :). Besides you arent the only person who have problems with the CW cartoon continuity issues. I am one of the large group here.

21. Sithoid

Sithoid Jedi Youngling

Sep 2, 2005
    Oops! Shame upon me, I should pay more attention to the credits. I forgot that you're not the only Republic author =( However, thank you.
    Rii'ke En is from # 68 'Armor', he was the one who shot down that sep ship.

22. The_Koon

The_Koon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    Hey John

I'm a Plo fan so you might already know what i'm about to ask :p
    i have a few questions

Are you still working on Republic comics? when will be the last issue?

and.......... is there any change Plo Koon might have a main role in a Republic issue? or a Jedi issue?[face_batting] [face_praying] and please not him in a Jedi Starfighter or commanding a battle from orbit, but slashing and cutting up some droids. and using his force-ligthing and being a real hero.

i think Plo Koon really deserves a main role

23. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    I've already written the last Republic issue which i think is #83 (I'm forever getting the numbering wrong). Plo doesn't figure into the final storyline, sorry, but he WAS front and center in the STARK HYPERSPACE WAR which was gathered into a TPB (single issue trade paperback). I have no further plans for him at this time. I DO like the character, however, and think he's really cool.

-- John

24. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I'm sorry if this has been discussed, but since Republic #81 and 82 have the same creative team, how is it that 82 is scheduled to come out a week before 81?

25. The_Koon

The_Koon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    ok

don't think i'm dissapointed. i'm glad that you atleast put him in a couple of issues. and wrote the Stark Hyperspace War wich made him more than just a background character. i've discovered that Plo Koon starres in more comics that Kit Fisto! but i've another question: was Plo Koon a Padawan or a Jedi Kight at the time of the Stark Hyperspace War?