main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official John Ostrander Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 26, 2002.

1. grahamh_100

grahamh_100 Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2005
    Hi John,

I've just read Republic 81 (everywhere has sold out of Purge... grrr...), and wanted to offer my congratulations on anotehr awesome issue. Personally I've waited since Rite of Passage to see Villie show up again, and to see him and Quin together again was great.

I enjoyed the tone of this issue, although it makes me errr towards the feeling that Quinlan's not going to be alive at the end of this arc. Particular highlights in t5he issue, aside from the return of Villie, was Quinlan's conversation with Kahleen (I liked the reference to Tholme and Tra'Saa, interesting to know where they wound up - sounds like they may evade Order 66, last time we were on Nar Shadaa there was no republic presence!!!), and also Quinlan's meditation at the beginning.

Anyway, thanks for another top issue, every time I read one of your comics it reminds me how much more successfully you capture the Star Wars feel than some of the other writers. I look forward to seeing where this arc goes next!

And one question - is there any chance you'd share what the original plans for Quinlan were, before the jump was made to the Clone Wars?

Graham

2. MCSheeky

MCSheeky Jedi Youngling

Jan 21, 2006
    Hey John,

To answer your question, I'm something of a purist when it comes to Star Wars. I hate spoilers. I'm glad I did not see the post you mentioned before reading Purge. I usually don't mind reading about books or movies before I see them, its only when it is something I am a big fan of or really excited about that I try to avoid all spoilers so everything is fresh to me.

With that, I absolutely LOVED purge. In fact, while I visit theforce.net a lot, I've never posted on the MB before. I just read it tonight, and HAD to find a way to pass my feedback to you because I loved it so much. Sure, I share the sentiment of those who wish there was more to the purge, but I think you filled these 22 pages with their maximum potential. The writing was tremendous, as usual, and the art work was phenomanal as well. The only other thing I did after reading it before posting here was to call a couple friends and tell them to go buy it. Thank you!

3. jfostrander

jfostrander Writer: -Legacy -Republic/Jedi/Purge star 4 VIP

Jul 16, 2001
    Hey group

Just to let you know -- I'm going to be offline from roughly 2/1 to 2/9. So if there are conversations going on and you're wondering why i'm not responding, that's the reason.

Also a quick thank you to all of you lately who have posted such nice notes. Much appreciated.

-- John

4. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    The secret is out.

The "mystery project" that Jan and I have been working on these past few months has been announced over on the Dark Horse boards. It is STAR WARS LEGACY and it is set 100 years AFTER the events in NJO and the upcoming Legacy of the Force novels. In other words -- an era you've never seen before. Anywhere.

I'm sure one of you can load a link to the announcement on the DH board which has some of the art for the project and more info. I have to be away for the next week or so but I'll check in with you all when I get back.

More info to come.

-- John

5. tmihah

tmihah Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    MAAAAAAAAAN. Leaving the day of the annoucement. Arrrrrrgh!

6. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Holy Vishnu.....

7. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Not really a secret, Jon. When I saw the Legacy era spanning a hundred years, and an obscure mention of Artoo part of it with it memories, it became obvious but I kept quiet about it. ;)

Still, this should be interesting. Classic Jan too; Cade's posture matches that of Vos. I like Paron's colours.

8. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Mr. Ostrander:

I am a bit wary of this new series. I will reserve judgement until it comes out, but I have a fear that this series may show us a galaxy that is in a crappy position. After so many wars and conflicts, I hope to the Force that the new comic series has a stable and democratic galactic government in it.

Don't get me wrong- I love fleet battles, lightsaber fights, etc. But I fear for them on a large scale. After all the work our beloved characters- the Solos, Skywalkers, etc- have done to secure a peaceful galaxy, I am afraid that this new series will make all their sacrifice pointless.

Anyways, I just wanted to voice my opinion. As I said, I will try to keep an open mind until the comics come out. Hopefully I will be pleasantly suprised.

--Adm. Nick

9. Queengodess

Queengodess Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    Argh. Truth to be told, I'm extremely ambivalent about this project.

Thing is, I just don't care much for the whole NJO, Legacy and beyond thing... It just takes us too far away from the movies to be much fun. The problem for me, I think, is that I'm such a hard core Vader junkie. The galaxy without him is just not the same.

On the other hand... Cade seems to be just the kind of character I love, and just the kind of character John and Jan will be able to make something truly grand out of. He's pretty, sort of... Kinda bad, or at least rogue.

So...I guess I'll probably enjoy this new series, but it just won't be Star Wars to me. Still, I can't help but feeling excited...

10. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Hey John, as I said in the other thread in Lit, I'm totally looking forward to this series and wouldn't trust it to anyone else but you & Jan. Also looking forward to the last(?) Vos story next week.

11. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    can someone please post a link to this legacy era stuff ?

thanks in advance

12. DoubleSith

DoubleSith Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2002
    John, you got some high praise thrown your way by Geoff Johns in a recent interview:

NRAMA: Do you have a comic book issue or title that someone else has written that you treasure?

GJ: I love John Ostrander's Suicide Squad. I mean, that's why I love villains. He was like, "Hey, let's see what we can do with villains." I was like, "Yeah! Why doesn't anybody else do this? Why doesn't anybody else crack them open and use them and make them actually competent and formidable?" I think Ostrander's the most underrated writer that was around in the '80s and '90s. I'd love to see him do more stuff. His Spectre run was amazing too. I just think he's a terrific writer.

Although, you might want to let him know you've written some pretty terrific stuff in the '00s as well. :p

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to your work on Legacy.

13. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    Hey group

Just got back from my trip to Northern Ireland yesterday and I'm just STARTING to get caught up. When I have a chance, I'd actually like to talk about the trip and what I saw there. Amazing, truly amazing.

If you think it was hard on YOU with my leaving just as the Legacy was announced, imagine what it was for ME! To put so much into it and to keep quiet about it for so long and then NOT to be part of the initial conversations?! AAAARGH!<g>

Hadn't seen the Geoff Johns interview but I've talked with Geoff a few times and he has always been very generous to me. I also like his work A LOT. It's not easy to surprise me but he has on several occasions pulled a plot twist that I didn't see coming. That and I really like his characterizations and his whole writing style.

So -- about this LEGACY thing. I'm just beginning to read it all. What I'm impressed witrh is that, a week after its announcment, it has garned so much reaction -- good, bad, and "huh?" -- here and elsewhere. And that's as it should be.

Is it going to be SW? Yup. Can I tell you where and how and why? Nope.

I've seen comments saying that this book invalidates the struggles of Luke and Co. That mystifies me. Every generation, in what we laughingly call reality, has its own challenges. In the U.S., how many wars have we been in since the Civil War? Every generation has had one. The current struggle does not invalidate the previous struggle. The sacrifices made by those who fought in World War ONE --originally called THE WAR TO END ALL WARS -- were not invalidated by World War TWO. Each generation fights its own battles and makes its own sacrifices. That's what makes it relevant to our time.

Shouldn't all the sacrifices made in the movies have resulted in a peaceful galaxy? Yet, the struggle went on in the EU. The forces of the Empire remained until the Imperial Remnant made a truce and went to Bastion, did they not? As of the Swarm War, they're still there. The New Republic failed and was replaced by the GFFA or just GA, right? How stable is it? What would they do to become stable? The Vong weren't annhilated; they went into exile with a lot of the galaxy still wanting their blood, right? Luke's New jedi order was almost split by folks like Kyle Katarn, right?

My point is -- it AIN'T a stable universe, folks. It evolves and changes. Part of the reason the Old Republic and the Old Jedi order fell to the Sith, IMO, is because they became too static, assumed they would always be there.

So what are we trying to do with LEGACY? My primary answer -- to give you the same sort of charge you got the first time you encountered Star Wars. Give you a situation that you DON'T know, and you DON'T know what the outcome is. The prequels were great BUT you already knew what the ending HAD to be. This time you don't. You don't know who the heroes are, what the situation is, or what's going on. Who will live -- and who will die. Just as when you first encountered SW.

As a certain scruffy rogue was known to comment, "TRUST me." <g>

-- John

PS Let me also tell you -- we haven't shown you more than the tiniest TIP of the iceberg. A lot of supposition is going on based on the little foilks know. You really DON'T know. I've not only prepared the overview, I've seen the character sketches, et al, that Jan has done and pencilled pages from the interiors. Jan is obviously revved.

PPS Cade is NOT Quin.

14. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Mr. Ostrander:

You make some very good points, but I think the main reason that fans are so split on this new series is that there are some of us who genuinly want to see some stability in the galaxy.

You make excellent points about how the galaxy is always in one form of turmoil or another. Your point about it not being a stable universe it true and well taken.

But...

You have to at least acknowledge that there is a sizable segment of fans out there that have always hoped for stability. Stability does not breed boring storys. Stability does not mean that you can't have awesome battles, interesting threats, deaths, and all that jazz.

Here is my view of it. As a fan of the movies, I watched and rooted for the Rebel Alliance, hoping that they could restore freedom to the galaxy. When the EU novels and comics began, I saw how the Rebels had become a new galactic republic, finsihing the fight they started in the movies. With the NJO, the New Republic fell to internal problems and the fact that they did not embrace certain parts of the galaxy.

Finally we get the Galactic Alliance. A union of the galaxy, including all the worlds of the old New Republic, the Hapans, the Imperial Remnant, etc. The NJO ended with the hope that the galaxy could finally re-establish the type of wide spanning government that was the Old Republic in its prime. Finally we see the start of a new Jedi Order to help keep the peace and bring justice to the galaxy.

So, that is why many fans are fearful of a new era that may show us a weakened Jedi Order and the possibility of another failed government.

Anyways, I typed this response not as a challenge to you or this series but to show you the reasons many fans are worried. I will not dismiss this new series until I have read it myself, because it would be foolish to completely dismiss something before even seeing the details. Best of luck in this new endeavor of yours and Jan's.

--Adm. Nick

15. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    Hey Adm Nick (hiya everybody!)

I appreciate everyone's concern and the desire for stability BUT I just don't find it a) realistic or b) especially compelling. It is called Star WARS, right?

Nor am I convinced that the galaxy would stay stable. The Vong were neither exterminated nor thrown out of the galaxy. Instead, they went to Zonoma Sekot (forgive me if i mis-spelled; I'm back from a long trip and TRYING to be coherent.<g>). I think the Bothans swore their extinction, didn't they? I think there are others in the galaxy who feel the same way. I'm NOT saying that's what we're doing; just using it for an example.

The Chiss seemed to be to be more aggressive in The Swarm War than we otherwise have seen them. The Hapans also have a new military fleet and a not always stable government. Plus, you don't know what LotF is yet going to show. the desire for stability seems, to me, to be wishful thinking and fans projecting something that would not necessarily be true. I've always tried to make my writing as truthful as I can.

I can't promise to please everyone; nothing I have ever done has pleased everyone, myself included. However, if you can set aside pre-conceived notions of what you or others think the galaxy should be and try Legacy on its own terms, I think you'll be pleased.

Fair enough?

-- John

16. Exar_Xan

Exar_Xan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 29, 2001
    That is all fair enough. I am among those people who will not dismiss it, since I have lots of faith in you and Duursema, but the Dark Nest novels werent my cup of tea.

Are there any things you did that you arent satisfied with and that you would have changed if you had the chance?

17. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Mr. Ostrander:

Thank you for your response. I will try to keep an open mind in regards to this upcoming series. I appreciate you addressing some of our concerns here on the boards. :) Hopefully this new series will be awesome. I may still be a bit wary, but I fully intend to purchase the first couple of issues to give it a chance.

--Adm. Nick

18. grahamh_100

grahamh_100 Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2005
    Hi John,

Literally just finished the final issue of Republic, and I'm full of emotion! Since not everyone will have read it, I'll keep it brief - thank you for bringing the ending that I absolutely wanted. This was the absolutely perfect way for Quinlan's story to finish in my opinion, I genuinely could not have asked for anything more - and I'd set myself up for the fact it couldn't be everything I was hoping for. But it was. So thank you for giving such a fitting ending to what has been such a truly compelling set of characters.

As for Legacy- I am someone who has reservations about the time period being utilised, but as you have done such a great job on Republic, I'm more than happy to assume that you'll pull it off successfully. I just hope I can enjoy a new bunch of characters as much as Quinlan, Villie and the rest!

Graham

19. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    Some went to Zonoma Sekot, but judging by the numbers we were given the vast majority of the Vong were exterminated by the New Republic beforehand.

But what if what we've heard so far about Legacy is what I think the galaxy should be? :D

20. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I just want to say, John, that I'm 100% behind Legacy. The complainers are loud, but there aren't that many of them -- as for me, I have complete trust in you, and I can't wait to see what you're up to.:D

21. Rohniss

Rohniss Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2005
    eh, Im 100% behind you both.. or is it 3 now :D.. I agrees with Havac, most people are atleast cautiously optimistic.. And Im still suprised (but happy) about what you did at the end of 83.. see I'd already prepared myself for what I thought would happen.. kudos on that too.

22. clonewarseu

clonewarseu Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2003
    John,

Just wanted to let you know that while I am a bit wary of the concept for Lecagy I know that you and Jan being the comic GODS that you are, it will turn out great!!!

I'm really looking forward to it!

Don't listen to the idiots who are badmouthing it when they know hardly anything about the series and have never read your comics before.

23. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    Exar Xan wrote:
    >>Are there any things you did that you arent satisfied with and that you would have changed if you had the chance?<<

There's rarely a full story with which I'm not somewhat happy just as there's never a story with which I'm COMPLETELY satisfied. I read the issue when it comes out and I might see a bit of dialogue that I would want to tinker with or was that plot point clear or the character could have done XYZ which might have been better. It's called "noodling" and every writer (and a lot of artists) would do it forever given a chance. With deadlines, you learn to just let it go. Probably a good thing or nothing would ever get finished.<g>

-- John

24. Exar_Xan

Exar_Xan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 29, 2001
    <g> Yeah I can see totally what you mean. The ammount of times i have tinkered with the first chapter of my fanfic cannot be count on 1 hand too ;).

25. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    Hey group

Thanks for the support and kind words. I don't blame some of you for being wary or CAUTIOUSLY optimistic; that's a reasonable response, I think. LEGACY is a risky proposition -- one of the things I really LIKE about it.

I'm aware that the VAST majority of people have repsonded positively or even ecstatically to the news. And I'm sure that there will be some who will genuinely NOT like it. That's alright. But some voices went overboard and I didn't want them dominating the conversation so I stepped in. There are those like Admiral Nick who are not sure but engaged in dialogue and are willing to give the book a chance on its own merits and you can't ask more than that.

Mind you -- I also am glad for the enthusiatic response of some as well. <g>

The initial work on LEGACY has been backbreaking. The sheer amount of thought, debate, re-working and then actually creating the characters and everything -- loads of extra hours. It would have been a LOT easier to do an established era. So why did we go for a new one? For me, it's because it's the NEXT STEP. What makes it scary is what makes it interesting, IMO.

More info WILL be coming out -- but not everything. The book itself will hold some surprises. After all, the end of Republic did, right?<g>

All the best

-- John