main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Kyle Katarn and Dark Forces Discussion Thread ( Spoilers when appropriate )

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Valiento, Sep 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Yes, something like that.

I've sent all the information to dan wallace, so maybe he can sort it all out.

2. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    from the new jedi outcast official site.

New Republic Intelligence (NRI): An organization that is successor to the old network of Rebel spies.

Director Dif Scaur was the head of New Republic Intelligence during the first year of the Yuuzhan Vong crisis The headquarters of the NRI lies deep within Coruscant, although they have safe houses throughout the galaxy on planets such as Wayland. Scaur believes that their is a traitor in the NRI or on the Security and Intelligence Council.

N.R.I. Reports:

Report from New Republic security chief on Bakura:
    A complaint was recorded from nearby salvage operator working for the New Republic in the Endor system. The salvager was under contract to strip derelict Star Destroyers orbiting Endor, but when his team arrived they found no armor, shield generators, or power cores onboard the starships. New Republic records indicate that only the armaments were removed from these ships and all other systems should be intact. While the breach of contract issue needs to be settled by the Senate, a higher priority should be placed on locating the missing equipment.

Report from Rogue Leader:
    While returning from a routine patrol to Phaeda, Rogue Squadron encountered an old Sentinel-class Imperial shuttle near Cairn, but it was lost in the asteroid field. I want to request an intelligence report on all unaccounted Cygnus Spaceworks or Sienar Fleet Systems transports and landing craft sold to the Empire, as well as a list of possible current owners for this type of ship. I recommend increasing the New Republic presence in the Lenico system until this ship can be identified. It is unlikely that the starship is acting independently. Rogue Squadron is currently heading into the Deep Core to look into the connections between Admiral Horrsk and the rumors of rogue Imperial ships forming allegiances with the warlords in that region.

Additional reports will be posted as they are received...

[image=http://www.lucasarts.com/products/outcast/images/characters/swamptrooper.gif]

"Swamp Trooper
    Similar in look to scout troopers, the swamp troopers are green in color to blend into the swampy surroundings. Swamp Troopers are armed with the Golan Arms FC-1."

[image=http://www.lucasarts.com/products/outcast/images/weapons/pulse_gun.gif]

"Destructive Electro-Magnetic Pulse 2 Gun
    Commonly referred to as the DEMP 2, the primary mode of the pulse rifle shoots out a concentrated energy ball which is very effective against droids, probes and other mechanical devices. The DEMP 2 also has a secondary fire mode which produces fast attacks that cause radius damage to droids and living things."

[image=http://www.lucasarts.com/products/outcast/images/gameplay/forcepowers_graphics/forcelightning.jpg]

"Force Lightning
    Allows the player to hurl a devastating electrical attack against foes. When a foe is targeted by this power, it locks on and continues to drain the enemy and consume the attacker's Force Pool. This continues until the enemy perishes, goes out of range, or the player's Force Pool is depleted."

[image=http://www.lucasarts.com/products/outcast/images/characters/kyle_large.gif]

"Kyle Katarn
    Kyle Katarn is a man who has seen all sides of the Force. He has served in the special operations division of the Imperial Army, as a Rebel Alliance agent, and also as a Jedi Knight. Born on Sullon, the moon of Sullust, Kyle came from farmer stock and had a close-knit family. But while training at the Jedi Academy, he was dealt a crushing blow: An Imperial notification tricked him into believing his parents were killed in a Rebel Ambush.

Vowing for revenge against the Alliance, Katarn joined the special ops division of the Imperial Army; however, he soon learned the true face of the Empire and his hatred grew for its underhanded ways. Katarn ended his Imperial service when he elected to help Jen Ors escape from their clutches.

Freed from his Imperial post, Katarn turned into a mercenary-f

3. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    I just saw that Val... It's great... Now I am REALLY excited about this game !

4. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

But while training at the Jedi Academy, he was dealt a crushing blow: An Imperial notification tricked him into believing his parents were killed in a Rebel Ambush."

Whhaaaaaattt? Kyle's father was murdered by Jerec, no mention was made of his mother except she was probably dead, and there was no Jedi Academy while there was a Rebellion.

5. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Kier, it's going back to the original source of the story, dark forces manual. where it reads jedi academy, it should say Imperial academy.

dark forces manual:
    "His quite student existence was shattered when he received Imperial notification that a rebel ambush had killed his parents during an Imperial rescue operation. The final blow came when the Academy refused to extend funderal leave."

So official site edited should read, "But while training at the Imperial Academy, he was dealt a crushing blow: An Imperial notification tricked him into believing his parents were killed in a Rebel Ambush."

6. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

Just a typo, then?

7. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    It saying, "jedi" academy, is the typo.

It should say "imperial" academy.

Parents being killed is not a typo in the original dark forces manual very much the intended plotline. So it's not a typo here either. They are keeping strict continuity within there own written universe documents.

8. ForceAlly

ForceAlly Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2001
    Someone send a mail to LucasArts to correct this annoying error [face_plain]

I hope the manuel of JKII will cover Kyle and Jan's whereabouts during all this years....

9. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I agree, change that Jedi, to Imperial.

"first year of the Yuuzhan Vong crisis"

So set during the NJO? Are some vong used as enemies in the game at all?

10. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    I saw that too, Val... Weird... Might be cool if we got some Yuzzies... Hum... Arghhhhhhh... [Mustn't think about a NJO game]

-----

Are those multiplayer screenshots ? :

[image=http://www.lucasarts.com/products/outcast/images/screens/43.jpg] [image=http://www.lucasarts.com/products/outcast/images/screens/39.jpg]

Personally... I don't think they are... It seems you team up with another Jedi at some point of the game and are fighting against multiple Jedi. This 'teaming' was already present in Star Trek Elite Force, so it's very likely we'll saw it again in Outcast.

I seem to recognize those enemies, but I can't name them anyone can ?

EDIT : Maybe we should try to identify the other Jedi... So, who's got a blue LS in the second half of the Bantam era or the NJO ???

-----

And what I love about the Jedi Knight games is the scale of things... Just look at that, IT'S STAR WARS :

[image=http://www.lucasarts.com/products/outcast/images/screens/36.jpg] [image=http://www.lucasarts.com/products/outcast/images/screens/40.jpg] [image=http://www.lucasarts.com/products/outcast/images/screens/41.jpg]

-----

And some 'sets' are just... Well :

[image=http://www.lucasarts.com/products/outcast/images/screens/44.jpg]

<drool mode>

-----

EDIT : About the 'Jedi'/'Imperial'... It's obvious their new info's got some errors... In Kyle's bio, they say 'Jen Ors'...

11. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

Yep, it does look sweet. I just hope my Athlon 700 can handle it.

12. ForceAlly

ForceAlly Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2001
    Okey. The mail is sent.

I guess the timeline of JKII should be set sometime around HoT to VP. So if they are going to release a expansion pack, maybe we can fight Vong then :D

BTW, blue blade? Who in the EU is wielding blue lightsaber ?[face_plain]

13. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    So could someone let them know we would like to see Dark Forces 1's events, and MOTS, and the original material from the Essential Chronology events listed on the site as well? They existed and we are fans of them. Seeing the site overlook them is a bit annoying.

We diserve better than that what they have done.

14. Master_Miller

Master_Miller Jedi Youngling

Jan 14, 2002
    Kyle has a new ship now? Damn. I've been writing a fanfic, and it features the Crow. Guess I should've done some research. =)

15. Master_Miller

Master_Miller Jedi Youngling

Jan 14, 2002
    Hey, can anyone quote me that paragraph from Rebel Agent, the one that goes something like this:

'The agent didn't feel anything as they died. The helmets made it easier somehow, more targets then people.'

I don't own the book, and I want to use it for my sig.

16. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, I hope we learn more today.

17. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Im just hoping Kyp appears. Then I have someone to use in MP, and I can mod it so I can use him instead :)

I like Kyle, but there is something about his look I dont

Oh, and the crow has gone :(

18. virtualoctopus

virtualoctopus Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 2, 2001
    Hopefully, this means Vong in the game! Coolies.

Excuse me for a moment.

Vong Vong Vong Vong Vong Vong Vong Vong Vong Vong Vong Vong Vong Vong Vong Vong Vong Vong Vong Vong Vong Vong Vong Vong Vong Vong Vong Vong Vong Vong Vong!

If we don't get any Vong, I say we petition Lucasarts for a NJO expansion.

19. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    The crow blew up into alot of little pieces in JK1, remember?

20. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    I know, but its like losing a loved one :(

I have a hope for a more man sized version of the MOTS Noghri in this. I loved them. They were lethal if they got a hit in, but you were faster. I'd love some human-sized like that, so you could have some great scenes where you're having to cut through a horde of the blighters. Pipe dreams, but a nice one :)

21. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    I cannot wait for that game.

22. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Hum... I don't like that... Noghri in MOTS ???????????

Argh... Where's that game I delayed playing with for so long ???

23. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

Val,

I don't see why the Crow wouldn't be salvagable: Kyle ripped at least one of the thruster pods off, and flipped it, but it wasn't totally destroyed UNLESS it was caught in the explosion of the transport when it hit the base of the tower and exploded, (that was such an awesome sequence).

24. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Warning - Fanboyish Fix Ahead

"first year of the Yuuzhan Vong crisis"

And Val's question...
    "So set during the NJO? Are some vong used as enemies in the game at all?"

The obvious point is we have the benefit of hindsight. The Yuuzhan Vong "crises" could perhaps also include the events of Crimson Empire II: Council of Blood - as a main Yuuzhan Vong was behind that whole crises.

If NRI has figured that out - tying Nom Anor to CEII crises events - then perhaps they may have cataloged the "Yuuzhan Vong Crises" under several different time periods. "Year 1" could easily by the time around CEII. [face_plain]

Another point, perhaps JO will span multiple times like the original DF did. When the game first begins, the initial levels may be at SoA times. It may then fast-forward to whenever this suppsoed Dark Jedi/Tech threat is (the main baddie). Then, we may see some conclusion/bonus levels set in the NJO.

However, my biggest problem is the mischaracterization of Katarn as similar to Mara Jade in MJ:NotT from SWT. Kyle Katarn isn't some special case, he's not some force-battery. The guy's a powerful force-user.

So, he's getting kriffed for gameplay "levelling." [face_plain] Oh well. A main problem with game characters, I suppose. ?[face_plain]

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Hey, can anyone quote me that paragraph from Rebel Agent, the one that goes something like this: 'The agent didn't feel anything as they died. The helmets made it easier somehow, more targets then people.' I don't own the book, and I want to use it for my sig. <<

That was actually from "Soldier for the Empire", page 124:

"The agent felt nothing in particular as they diws and realized how numbing the violence had become. Shoot, kill, shoot, kill, always wondering if it would be his turn to die. The helmets made it easier somehow, since with the exception of the officers and commandos, his enemies died faceless, more like targets than people."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.