main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Legacy Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jfostrander, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thanos6

Thanos6 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 1999
    Maybe a Pellaeon cyborg? Has his brain in one of those B'omarr Monk bodies? ;)

Master_Starwalker: What's your problem with the suggestion about hitting Vader with an EMP? I loathe and despise Serenity, Matrix, etc., but I don't see anything horrible about that idea.

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    *absorb/dissapate energy*

3. Thanos6

Thanos6 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 1999
    I know he could do that with a direct source, like Han blasting him in Cloud City, but could he do it with a wide diffuse source?

I'm not trying to sound sarcastic or anything. I honestly don't know.

4. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Getting EMP'd is pretty much how he died anyhow.

5. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Absorbing is about the amount of energy rather than the difused nature of it.

The difference between it and lightsaber blocking I suppose.

6. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Yep. Horn had no problem absorbing the diffused energy of a relatively low-power explosion and the resulting flames, but he'd be unable to keep form being killed if he was, say, in an X-Wing that blew up.

7. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Oh my thing with Vader and an EMP is most likely that I'm still having trouble not hanging onto the idea of the Jedi and Sith being on an entirely other level from any other combatents, I do think in theory that it makes perfect sense that to kill a man in an iron lung, you'd EMP him to shut the suit down, and given that that's basically what the Emperor's lightning did it would possibly work, I just still hold Vader to a level that seems taking Vader by surprise should be almost impossible, it's really not that the EMP would kill him as much as it's the idea that the person had that a normal combatant could sneak up on Vader.

There's also absorb disapate energy as was mentioned above.

8. Divia

Divia Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2005
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like this. I mean sometimes things are just better left alone. Do we really need to know the entire skywalker line? No. So why are they doing it? Well, to milk the product for all its worth of course. Hasn't Lucas always said the story was about Anakin and how Luke saves him. That's what Star Wars is for me. Not this..oh lets go 100 years or 500 years into the future.

Sometimes its better to leave things to the imagination.

9. RevantheJediMaster

RevantheJediMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005
    I'm fine with them going 100 years in the future but I would have preferred if the Legacy Series did not focus on a Skywalker or a Solo.

10. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005

11. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    QFT

That man will outlive the galaxy :p

12. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    The first emperor from a bacta tank?

13. Divia

Jun 8, 2005

14. jacenrepner

jacenrepner Jedi Youngling

Mar 15, 2005
    pelly will not die...he will live forever...as will the great boba fett

15. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    A Senile Fett really is disturbing you know but, yeah the openness Mary Sue-ness hadn't hit me yet, but considering that even Luke is just Lucas's Mary Sue, almost every era will have them. I also am not sure that Cade will be either John or Jan's Mary Sue because they could have done that with Quin and he ended up being an interesting character in his own right.

16. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Yeah, say what you want about Vos-- and I'm no big fan-- but Ostrander wasn't afraid to give him very glaring flaws.

17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I had a fun conversation...

Me: So let's say there's this guy, whom has spent 10 years waiting for vengeance in prison after a crime he doesn't commit then finds this fabulous treasure, gets a harem of beautiful girls, and is world famously travelled....ALL before he goes after his much less smarter and daring enemies that wronged him to ruin his life. Would you classify that character as a Mary Sue?

Friend: Yes, I would. Classic revenge fantasy.

Me: It's called the Count of Monte Cristo.

18. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    >>>My friend made an interesting comment...he said "so, this new thing is nothing but Mary Sues?" And I thought..wow..yeah, he's right and the only thing that really connects this to SW is a person named Skywalker, some lightsabers, Jedis and an Empire. <<<

So all original characters are Mary Sues? o_O

19. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    I had a strange feeling you might.:p

All true enough, for the most part (and before I begin here I'd like you to know that I've not, in fact, returned to my former position on the Jedi, e.g. all Jedi-class Force-sensitives should be killed at the earliest opportunity), but hearing Charlemagne suggest that, in essence, the only good Mando is a dead one rather precluded a less ferocious response than I was willing to reply with, given my somewhat aggressive and combative nature, much as I would have preferred to avoid it.

I?m just like that; despising compromise and yet disliking confrontation, rather like someone else we?ve spoken of frequently?

To get back to the point though, blame for some of the destruction caused by the Mandalorians finds its way back to the Force-users, for example, Ulic Qel-Droma forcing Mandalore to swear fealty to him, or Revan informing Canderous that the Sith had misled the Mandalorians into embarking on the Neo-Crusade. Though unable to wield it so far as we've seen, the Mandalorians are still a part of the Force even as the Sith and Jedi are, and the history of the galaxy seems to demonstrate that they are very much the tools of it in many ways.

One thing that troubles me however, is, perhaps somewhat unsurprisingly, the singular reliance on the Jedi as the ?Guardians of Peace? in the galaxy, troubling to me, because, among other things, it hints of Gnosticism, that only a small group of favoured elect, an elite, born to their role, will have revealed to them the greater knowledge or perhaps insight would be a better word considering the context, than lesser, common men would be favoured with, a thought antithetical both to the greater part of Western philosophy and the Mandalorian ethic of the granting of position by right of one?s capability of earning it.

But after all, if these Jedi, these Force-sensitives, are quite demonstrably superior beings, with greater physical gifts, greater skill in battle, greater wisdom and far superior insight into their version of the Will of God than any mere mortal, all that in addition to the host of powers and abilities they possess, is it not natural that the common folk bow down in obeisance before them? That they, by virtue of their superior and aforementioned insight and wisdom, in fact take up the reins of power, not for themselves, but only upon being offered them, for the good of all?

*sighs despairingly*

These are the questions that plague me.

20. Ashandarei

Ashandarei Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    I think what I'd like to see most is more of a team effort.

Okay, I know I'll get blasted for saying this, but really, who does it always come down to when bad guys come a-knockin'?

It's always Luke. Luke is always the one who bails the galaxy out. As he should be; he's the scion of the Chosen One. His close family are also involved, but it usually comes down to Luke against Bad Guy #375. And he's uber-powerful enough that we can believe it; he's the one best suited to the job.

But what I'd really like from this series is a team of characters, a real team, one where every member is just as important as every other. I don't want Cade Skywalker to be Luke reborn; I want him to be a fairly average Force user, not too powerful, not too combat-skilled, but just a simple man trying to make his way in the universe (to quote Jango Fett). I'd like him to be faced with even the flunkies of the main Baddie this time around, and lose. Consistently.

Understand what I'm getting at here? I'd like a story where the bad guy has more personal power than anyone can hope to match. And I'd like to see him/her taken out in an unfair fight. Where Cade is just powerful enough to distract him, while his buddies run around behind and stab the Baddie in the back. Or blowing up the ship he's on in a surprise attack. Or something like that.

We have enough of the type of stories where "the fate of the galaxy turns on the choices of one man". Where each series focuses mostly on only one character's point of view, and that character is pivotal in galaxy-spanning events.

If anyone's ever read the "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" series by Tad Williams, I think you'll understand what I'm getting at. The main character in that story is a competent fighter, but nothing special; he's fairly intelligent, but no genius; he's a descendant of a king, but in the end it matters not a bit; his one real special attribute is his dreaming, and that nearly gets him killed as often as it helps him. It's only because of his friends that his land is saved from the Baddie; he plays his part, and all of his friends play theirs, and all are of equal importance (and someone else gets the kill-shot!).

I'd like something like that, where, in the end, the main character doesn't stand head and shoulders above everyone else. That would be a refreshing direction to take, especially with the name Skywalker.

21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    You mean like how the Emperor died?

Both times?

Like how Kueller died?

Like how Joruus C'boath died?

Like how Lord Nyax died?

Seriously, some of us are actually sick of the CLICHE of the unfair fight :)

22. Divia

Jun 8, 2005
    Nope. Not always.
    Say whatever you will, just as I will, and I say this...I don't have a good feeling about this.

I'll get flamed for this I am sure...but I hope it doesnt do well. These are not the stories I want to see. Now, if the majority of them wish to read about em..well then I guess I'm in the minority and then I just won't read this stuff.

I'd say I'm sorry, but I'm not. I just dont like the direction SW is taking. Maybe that's cause I'm not as hardcore as some of you. I dunno.

23. Ashandarei

Ashandarei Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    Yeah, kind of. Although the first time it was really the Skywalkers who did him in, which is what I'd like to move away from. The second time, when Han shoots him in the back; now THAT was good. That made the crap that was Empire's End worthwhile. But again, it was the Skywalkers who stood against him the entire way.

24. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    You want a hero who just can't win, at least not without his friends? He's called Quin, which brings us back to another issue some people have . . . :_|

25. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    See, that's such a crappy ending though.

Han CHEAP SHOTTED the Emperor. It was the worst mistake in the EU I'd honestly say because it's the Skywalker's DESTINY to defeat the Emperor and he more or less stole it. I actually threw away the book then.

Re: Jedi.

I think part of the issue you have Quiet_Mandalorian is one born from the fact that the Force is being held up above other areas. I have less trouble with Jedi than you because while I acknowledge they possess insights that other beings will never match, sadly they are cursed with all too human frailties and furthermore they are not the only method in which to serve the Light Side.

I thought Luke considering Han a Jedi was the highest praise yet and wish we had more references to Freedom?s Sons and the Antarian Rangers, those human beings whom more or less decide to live lives like Jedi even if they aren?t.

I think it helps to believe the Jedi Knights are empowered by the Force for the very specific role of being advisors and protectors of the world rather than rulers and that in fact they are effectively bound by the nature of their ?gifts? to never seek out power since that ALWAYS turns out bad. Sort of like a taboo that?s unofficial but there.

All are part of the Force after all, others simply have a less intimate relationship with it. Sort of like Cyrus the Great the Blessed King vs. a Cleric.

With the Mandalorians, I basically fear ?Klingon? syndrome in where a warrior race that already serves a good role is ?wussified? to a certain extent by the making of them into heroes. I have no doubt Canderous and his followers were good men and I honestly would argue that while he was working for Tyrannus and attempted a hit on Amidala, Jango Fett was fundamentally a good man?.his son I would argue is purely evil.

And I can?t imagine his influence on the Mandalorians was a healthy one. I don?t think the mandalorians should be wiped out but my hope for them is to remain as enemies of the JedI and the galaxy as a whole.

They're just more fun that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.