main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Legacy Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jfostrander, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    WOWZAHS.

Just, wowzahs. XD

2. lordabominus

lordabominus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2003
    well, i for one, am hoping for the best. that maulek hottie was pretty impressive. new sith? well, it's bound to happen, when jedi stray far enough from the trunk of the jedi tree (Luke) and eventually the power that they DO already yield will eventually lead some to the lust for more. not always sith, per se, but greed and lust nevertheless. as for the legacy....as long as they come up with a cool villain for us to love to hate, or hate to love, either way works for me, then that will add some flavor, and not that they havent already written the storyline, but a "nick rostu-esque" cat would be excellent.....like a super bowl that went into overtime or something.

3. Killik_Brain

Killik_Brain Jedi Youngling

Feb 1, 2006
    :eek: :confused: [face_thinking]
    140 ABY ?

So the story of Star Wars isn't recounted by R2-D2, one hundred years after Return of the Jedi? (104 ABY)
    So the Prophecy wasn't about the final destruction of the Sith?
    So what does Lucas know about this?

4. Rohniss

Rohniss Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2005
    probally enough to approve it.. since all the EU is approved (or atleast a outline of the story) is seen by him.

a Evil Red Twilek you say.. John.. thank you so much..

5. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Who's to say that the Saga isn't recounted by R2 and it's just the EU that isn't all recounted at that time? Assuming R2 is still around (which the Chosen One better be :p) then he could always recount the history later.

I'm still wondering if Luke's gonna be like that one Jedi who lived to be around 200 or if he'll live shorter to prevent overlap between this series and the Saga.

6. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    ARGH! IT'S A MOVIE! RARR!!!! Sorry, I just...this whole deal bugs me. Ha. I mean...when you go see a movie, do you worry about which character told the director the story 100 years later? Seriously.

7. Darth_Snuggle

Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    Hmm... Who's the Twi'lek? :D

Looks really interesting. I'll definitely give it a try!

8. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    And with the Sith back now I guess it also means that there really is a Dark Side :D

9. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Woooooooooot.

10. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    About time

Not sure if anyone noticed or not but, it says Cade dropped the name "Skywalker" and that not even his closes associates knew he was a Jedi. So is he a former Jedi with the Order still out there being guardians of peace? Cade's at least Force Sensitve and trained in the Jedi arts.

A Pirate trained like a Jedi: Awesomeness.

11. EduardoBlake

EduardoBlake Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2002
    Definitely going to try this.

12. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Further thoughts...

[... and, roll Imperial March!]

Sith Twi'lek on the cover of #0. Clever marketing, instant recognition - STAR WARS! SEXY! DARK! - but, just, perhaps, lacking in any sort of visual/character depth whatsoever.

*shrugs* It's a comic book cover. Maybe that's the point. Then again, the covers have always been the weakest part of Star Wars comics.

Which is bizarre... I mean, it's STAR WARS, folks.

[image=http://multimedia.theforce.net/museum/images/Images/Classic_Trilogy/Posters/Return_of_the_Jedi/ReturnOfTheJedi01-Big.jpg]

You know? o_O

Radical new setup, but no major tie-in to LotF. This bothers me - now maybe that's just me (even in my rants, I retain the illusion of self-knowledge), but with the LotF trajectory vaulting off into the unknown, and this dropped down beyond it with a heavy thud... well, things could get messy where they meet.

Also, there's a distinct "House of S"/"Crisis on GFFA Infinities" reboot-the-franchise angle here, carrying with it a strong whif of Randy Stradley's dislike of the shackles of detailed continuity.

Now I can understand that; I can understand that entirely - but then I think of the Prequels, where one huge problem was that neither serious fans nor the general public bought them as being in time and tune to the Star Wars trilogy.

The relentless wave assaults by expendable cannon-fodder stories and visuals has made the Prequels more familiar, and has made the GFFA more complex place... and ultimately, that's good.

But the beating heart of Star Wars... and that's what you want to capture, right - the love we bear, or bore, or could bear again, for this story... well...

I don't see it here.

Maybe that's the point. Maybe we're supposed to be looking.

But the quest was always the story, wasn't it?

{Tatooine sunset}

Conclusion: well, I'm cynical today. But does the fact I'm griping mean that the stylistic hook here is only working as a superficial snag on those who court merely a shallow aesthetic cynicism?

[face_peace]

More seriously... what annoys me is the fact I'm not biting yet, given how much everyone at DHC has obviously put into this. My first couple of thoughts were delight and surprise. The reality... took me right back down. Sorry, guys.

I hope I'm wrong. And if I am, I hope you can ignore my ranting and that of any other Ewoks like me - and do what's right.

Good luck.

- The Imperial Ewok

13. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    McEwok-- They just announced it and only posted three pictures of it :p

14. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    Sith Twi'lek on the cover of #0. Clever marketing, instant recognition - STAR WARS! SEXY! DARK! - but, just, perhaps, lacking in any sort of visual/character depth whatsoever.

*shrugs* It's a comic book cover. Maybe that's the point. Then again, the covers have always been the weakest part of Star Wars comics.

Which is bizarre... I mean, it's STAR WARS, folks.

I'm not that hot on the cover either. It just doesn't scream...epic...enough, I guess. Not for a first issue, at least. That said, the Clone Wars stories opened with a similar pic of Quin, so meh. All well that ends well.

(And it's FAR better than ANY of the photomanipped nonsense Del Rey are churning out these days...)

15. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I can actually see your point Thrawn as though I am excited about this, much of it is because the Potentium is gone. For me much of Star Wars has been the love of the characters and I mean the only ones keeping me reading the NJO are Luke, Leia, and Han. I'm gonna give this a chance for sure as I think it has potential, especially because Jan and John are the ones behind it but, I do have a bad feeling about where the LOTF books and the Legacy comic series meet and if they even refer to the same legacy. I mean when I really think about it all of my favorite Star Wars characters are from the movies, Luke, Obi-Wan, Anakin/Vader, Qui-Gon, and Yoda.

That said I do like the EU but I mostly like how it fleshes it out and will probably mostly read this because of Cade who will I'm guessing eventually have to come to terms with the fact that he's a continuation of the Skywalker line, I'm also wanting to find out if Cade's hiding that he's a Skywalker is because of something that Luke has yet to do or just because the last name Skywalker is synonymous with Jedi.

16. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    First impressions:

1: Hmm. I wasn't extecting this.[face_thinking]

2: Anyone else think Cade looks like Billy Idol, or maybe Steven Tyler?:p

And he's carrying an EE-3?

17. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    As a matter of fact :)

18. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    As a longtime 'Netizen, though (on Usenet long before there were any web-forums of note, and the Fidonet "SW Echo"), I can tell you with certainty that the overall fen reaction to Dark Horse's original 1992-93 Tales of the Jedi announcement was *very* similar:

Shock, discombobulation, dizziness, some elation, some wonder, coupled with pure, pants-***tting fear.

Then, it was released. Yet look how well that series turned out, from the very first issue. For I know -- I was there.

For the first time in nearly a decade-and-a-half, we're standing at the threshold of a totally new Star Wars era virtually bereft of familiar characterizations and security blankets...and it's thrilling. And terrifying. Even the Clone Wars had some connective tissue to the rest of the Original Trilogy period. Yet given the creative team we've got in place for this puppy, there's little to fear, I think.

Having proven themselves no one- or two-trick ponies over a period of six years now, Jan and John (and Randy and the rest) actually have a *stronger* and meatier track-record in the Star Wars continuum than Tom Veitch and KJA both did at the time when Dark Empire and TotJ were first released.

They've proven themselves. They've earned their Wookiee-scalps. Considering the man-hours they've *already* invested in this project (since last year at the very earliest), I would think that continuity is one of the least of our concerns.

As for character...even less. People who are unaware of the greater history of SW comics-fandom are not even equating apples to oranges; they're asserting similarity between fossilized parsnips and palm trees.

19. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    I guess someone did (meh, that'll teach me to read the whole thread through befor replying next time).:oops: [face_laugh]

Strangely enough, it looks like Dark Empire.[face_thinking]

20. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    For some reason I thought David Bowie, but now that you mention it, yeah.

21. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    I was sorta thinking along the lines of Bon Jovi when I first saw the pic [face_thinking]

22. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Nah, the sneer gives it all away.[face_talk_hand] :p

23. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    [face_laugh] You might be right :p

24. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Hmm, definitely seems like this could be a make it or break moment for the future of Star Wars EU. While I've defintely been interested in a story far in the future of anything we've seen before, the whole new Sith order thing doesn't really grab my attention in the least bit.

25. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    hmmm you know something, I might give this a go.

I'm curious as to how the galaxy has evolved and it will be so nice to be free of Luke & co. We never really needed all the stories we had of Luke, Leia and Han. So being able to be into the future with new characters, a new set of circumstances...it might just work...and with John and Jan working on it...well I think this could be quite something.

Only trouble is being in the UK I'm not sure I'll be able to get my hands on such a series :(

I hope I hear good things guys...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.