main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Legacy Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jfostrander, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. razzy1319

razzy1319 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2004
    yeah, i think as long as there is a male in the family their is always an heir. That would mean not only has your siblings have to be dead but also your father, grand father, brothers, uncle, male nephews and etc. Still most of what we know are still blurbs so I'll wait. I just hope they could start at a panel with 100 years then jump to a thousand years. [face_laugh]

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Has nothing to do with men.

From dictionary.com...

heir
    n.
    1. A person who inherits or is entitled by law or by the terms of a will to inherit the estate of another.
    2. A person who succeeds or is in line to succeed to a hereditary rank, title, or office.
    3. One who receives or is expected to receive a heritage, as of ideas, from a predecessor.

3. Bratty Jedi Master

Bratty Jedi Master Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 1, 1999
    About this whole last surviving heir thing, I?ve been letting some ideas bounce around in my head and I think I might be getting closer to understanding the two sides points of view. I don?t want to put words into anyone?s mouth so feel free to correct me if I?m still way off base but I think the different interpretations are coming from the focus on the different words that Cooper and I emphasized in previous posts. I?ve been focusing on last surviving while his eyes have been on heir.

To put it in a real world context, Prince Charles is the heir to the throne of England. Why? Because someone else holds that throne so he is only its heir not the possessor of it. If we take this argument into the GFFA, the same concept holds true in a phrase (please note I am making this up) such as ?Cade, as a Skywalker, was the last surviving heir to the leadership of the Jedi Order.? This would mean there would have to be another Skywalker still alive and holding that position otherwise he wouldn?t be the heir waiting to inherit.

But I don?t think this argument carries through in reference to the idea of an heir to the Skywalker legacy. Luke and Leia, the moment they were born, were heirs to the Skywalker legacy. The moment Anakin/Vader died, they were still the heirs to that legacy. The reason is because a legacy, in the sense in which I interpret it, is not something that someone can become king of or take over the leadership of. You can be the Creator of a Legacy, you can be the Heir of a Legacy, and you can possibly throw it aside and deny it and be the Destroyer of a Legacy (Not that I think that is the story of this series. To make that kind of leap based on the information released thus far I would have to speculate widely or be a mind reader and I am not inclined to the former or capable of the latter). But you can?t be the king of a legacy, or the leader of a legacy, or basically ever move up from being an heir.

A different conception of Legacy than the one I just described would not only allow for another Skywalker to be alive, it would require it. So I guess basically what I?m saying is I still think I?m right but I can better understand a different interpretation and hope people can now understand my point of view a little better.

And if this isn?t a cry for more information I don?t know what is. Trying to stay away from wild speculation based on no facts has led to the minute dissection of every nuance of every word released thus far.

Bratty

Edit: And of course while I was typing all this Cooper posted something that I think backs me up in my interpretation of his earlier ideas and would have been helpful to have seen before I did this but you get the idea.

4. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    We have a Senate Forum to conduct RL and history business. Let's not have cross forum contamination, shall we?

Well, as for Ben's hypothesized children grandchildren not living full lives, living out the full average lifespan of your species doesn't make it automatically worthwhile. What counts is what you do in the time given to you.

5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    OK, for all of you playing along at home who seem to have forgotten the line between reality and make-beleive -- THEY ARE FICTIONAL CHARACTERS. What happens to them does not happen to a real world person. If only nice things happened to them, and there was peace forever, we would have one massively boring story. Even if it was RL, do the big three deserve peace? Yes. Is the universe obligated to grant them it? NO. Life is not fair. Get over it. Plus, this is fake. If Jacen was a RL character who goes dark -- I would be sad, because he would have fallen to evil and made poor choices. If Jacen, a fictional character, falls to the dark side -- I would be enthusiastic, because it would make a wonderful storyline with tons of opportunities. Understand the difference?

6. TheJediMan

TheJediMan Jedi Youngling star 2

May 1, 2005
    Cade is the last surviving heir to the Skywalker legacy, but that does not mean Luke is dead. Luke wasn't an heri to that legacy, he created that legacy, he is the legacy. Few people in the galaxy would think of Anakin when they think of the name Skywalker. It's Luke they would think abou, because he has created the Skywalker legacy.

And here is another reason why I don't think Luke is dead. I don't think, darkhorse, or Delray, or good old George himself would allow the news of Luke's death to be announced this way. If he were dead, it would mean he would die within the 100 years before this series. So we would all know to expect Luke's death in that time frame, and that would reduce the hype for any such book where he would die because nobody would be suprised because we would be expecting it.

I don't know if any of that made sense, but it's late and I am tired.

7. Lovely-in-Orange

Lovely-in-Orange Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2005
    Hrm, what if last Skywalker heir means he's the last who's that strong in the force? Others could be discounted for being weak in the force, falling to the darkside, captured, or something. Of course Ben was going around saying Luke was the last hope despite the existence of Leia, so maybe it's just that certain point of view thing again. ;) It just sounds like from that blurb that it's not the name so much as the ability to do something.

Bratty, I saw this before I wrote the above, but that's a good point. It could mean that there are other older Skywalkers, but they still need him to ensure that they Jedi continue. It could be that 100+ year old Ben Skywalker is alive, but too old to be out saving the world and thus needs to find his last remaining heir. Btw, I'm not clear. Is this 100 years after Dark Nest or 100 years after the end of the Legacy novels series?

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    You know what's really funny about this? All the debate over those three little words? It's a solicitation summary. It's designed solely to make people buy the book. One need look no further than TUQ to get a sense of the extent to which any of these things are related to the actual events of a given story:

9. Bratty Jedi Master

Oct 1, 1999
    Like I said
    "And if this isn?t a cry for more information I don?t know what is. Trying to stay away from wild speculation based on no facts has led to the minute dissection of every nuance of every word released thus far."

All this really means is we are geeks but I accepted that fate a long time ago,

10. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    And With that I say:

[:D] Welcome to the Internet![:D]

We have pie...

But seriously, what use is a forum if we don't pick apart every little tiny detail?

11. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Because yes, anyone who doesn't like the way Dark Horse is taking Star Wars, doesn't understand the boundries between fiction and reality... o_O

Just because one thinks that a work of fiction is going a way that isn't good doesn't mean that we don't have a grip on reality, I actually would read books about the Big 3 where it's not a threat on a galaxy level scale, Tatooine Ghost proved that books like that can be great. Anyways, don't make assumptions/bait.

But I hadn't thought about Cooper's point that this is probably not how they'll announce Luke's death due to the fact that his death will cause it's fair share of publicity and controversy.

I will say this, they've done a great job stirring up the hornet's nest on something other than the Potentium for the first time in awhile.

Starwalker

12. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Fans speculate faster than Tolkien's rambling conversations! . . . To think I'd have missed this if I'd left weeks ago.

Come on, Child Winds. We don't know a thing about the series! The movie names had their stage time, now it's a new cast half a century later. If you'd read their Republic-class comics, you'd know how seemless their continuity material is, aside from a few Whipid spellings here and there. ;)

At last . . . 2 fresh new comic series, people thatc and ie at any time. Even better, with Parson/Kryssing's 3D colours. And absolutely none of it hardcover.

:_| your eyes, out fellas, weep!

13. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    But ironically, still often-times fall closer to the inane gibberish of the good Doctor than the flowing prose of the Master.;)

14. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Last fortnight's Dragonfire episode had such technical gibberish between the Doctor and a guard thank sadow I recorded it. I'd repeat it, but who would understand?

15. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Who, indeed. Forsooth, who's to say that you yourself do?;) [face_whistling]

16. mdg1

mdg1 Jedi Master

Mar 31, 2004
    I've said my piece already on this thread, but as my last comment, I want to leave you with a quote from Neil Gaiman's Sandman:

17. O-B-GATES

O-B-GATES Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2003
    I could not have said it better.

18. DarthRotten

DarthRotten Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    I've said it before on these boards and I'll say it again: Star Wars is based on classic myths and in classic myths the deaths of the heroes are almost always written. Even if the hero defeats his greatest adversary he still dies in the end. Robin Hood was poisoned in the end!!! As long as Luke goes down fighting I will be fine. Anyway, I think that Luke needs to be gone for their to be jeopardy. It's like how Yoda died before Luke's final battle with the Emperor.

19. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    We probably should wait until May before really making our minds up about the whole business.

I have the feeling that we wouldn't be let down (at least, not most of us).

And the Empire always strikes back! That has a whole new meaning now, doesn't it?

20. WhillJedi

WhillJedi Jedi Youngling

Feb 1, 2006
    Whether you're optimistic or pessimistic about the new series, does anyone else agree with me that the new era would make an excellent setting for a KOTOR-esque game? I mean, it offers up a whole new, unexplored epoch of galactic history - with new Sith and a Jedi Order once more in need of a hero. Maybe LucasArts will take a hint if enough of us would like to see something like this (cross your fingers).

21. Bratty Jedi Master

Oct 1, 1999
    Now how is it I've been all over the internet, posting here since '99, and I have yet to get any pie? I think you're lying to me [face_shame_on_you]

Bratty

22. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    I guess this means that the Solos are the rulers of the galaxy. Jacen fell and overthrew the Alliance.

Skywalkers become the trailer trash cousins.

23. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Heck, a KOTOR style game in that era would be a huge step in the right direction if you ask me, that or a sequel to JK2 in that era.

Starwalker

24. Fist_of_Mandalore

Fist_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2005
    Nope, Mara Jade used her amazing powers of mind control to become Supreme Empress of the Galaxy and Luke is now here personal sex slave. Sorry Tiershon_Fett :p

25. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I'm still waiting for a JK game set in the NJO era...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.