main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Legacy Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jfostrander, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DropkickJake

DropkickJake Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    Defend yourself if you feel compelled. You have that right.

my .02

2. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Hey John, thanks for all the replies you have been giving here. To be honest, I actually enjoyed reading your posts ripping into some of the rude chaps here. Some authors have left these boards for various reasons and it is nice to see someone not afraid to put ppl in their places.

I'm definitely interested in this new era, but I'll have to see if the characters grow on me like the NR/NJO era ones have. Still I doubt that will be a problem.

A number of times you've mentioned the huge amount of research you've done for this project. I'm curious to know what that involves. How much of it is inventing new locations, characters, etc, and how much is trying to project what familiar places will be like in 100 years time?

I mentioned earlier that it would be cool to see a mention to Lowbacca, who as a Wookiee would still be alive and well in this era if not killed off. Have you looked at that kind of thing and might we see some familiar - but older - faces still around?

3. Master_Shan

Master_Shan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2005

GOOD JOB!!!

4. Darth_FattyAss

Darth_FattyAss Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2002
    Jon....I wanted to take a momoent to tell you that I really enjoy your work. Actually, it was Jan's artisic talent and your writing that provided the catalyst for my interest in SW comics. I look forward to the Legacy series and seeing how the story unfolds...unlike SOME I'll reserve judgement until I read them.

My wife is a classical muscian and is used to hearing constructive critisicm. In fact, she appreicates it and feels it helps her to grow develop as an artist. Unfortunately, people on these boards confuse rude comments and sweeping generalizations as somehow being "constructive." I, for one, enjoy the fact that we have the opportunity to have open and frank discussions about the SW universe with the actually authors. However, I'm consistently let down by the few posters who feel compelled to run these authors off.

5. JediMasterNicolas

JediMasterNicolas Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 4, 2005
    Is it just me or was this thread 70-odd pages last time I looked at it?:confused:

6. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Nope... unless you perhaps switched your posts displayed per page setting? That's the only thing I can think of that would do that.

- Keralys

7. Master_Shan

Oct 19, 2005

Thats is one of the most ignorent statements I've ever read.

8. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Hmm.. Yeah. I have to agree with Master_Shan.

9. InquisitorBetts

InquisitorBetts Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2005
    Ditto. As a former art student and current combined Film/English student I find that slightly offensive.

Probably wouldn't matter to him that I?ve studdied philosophy and history in my spare time and was once on my way to becoming a physicist. My arts subjects define me as a fool.

But back on topic, all that stuff said about Cade looking like Steve Tyler and such, he just looked like a gaunt Mark Hamil to me, simmilar lines around the mouth and such... or are we too far past that to care?

10. Master_Shan

Oct 19, 2005
    I was actually looking up some images of Mara Jade Skywalker today for wookiepedia and I came across a picture of this guy:

[image=http://gfx.filmweb.pl/p/2599/po.28765.jpg]

You cant tell me that doesnt look like Cade lol. I wonder If john would admit to modeling the character off of William Fichtner [face_laugh]

P.S- Id like to add that on my search I came across a fan site where Gillian Anderson's ::Dana Scully from X-files:: face is superimposed upon every possible image of Shannon Baksa (the woman who models as Mara Jade) ever....

http://mc.swu.free.fr/Mara.htm

Its really quite terrifying.

11. jfostrander

jfostrander Writer: -Legacy -Republic/Jedi/Purge star 4 VIP

Jul 16, 2001
    Eyrezer:
    >>Hey John, thanks for all the replies you have been giving here. To be honest, I actually enjoyed reading your posts ripping into some of the rude chaps here. Some authors have left these boards for various reasons and it is nice to see someone not afraid to put ppl in their places.<<

Oh, I'm not going anywhere. Thanks for the support of yourself and others. I don't look for fights but I don't run from 'em, either.

>>A number of times you've mentioned the huge amount of research you've done for this project. I'm curious to know what that involves. How much of it is inventing new locations, characters, etc, and how much is trying to project what familiar places will be like in 100 years time?<<

As I recall, we started with some broad concepts -- this would be cool, that would be cool, what would the galaxy look like, what had changed, what had not, and why -- and then worked ourselves down to specifics such as the characters, their backstory. As we went, we'd change things, let the concept grow. It might morph into some thing else or we maybe found it no longer fit the overall concept. We'd debate and discuss and some of the minutest details had a lot of talk. No, I can't give you specifics.

>>I mentioned earlier that it would be cool to see a mention to Lowbacca, who as a Wookiee would still be alive and well in this era if not killed off. Have you looked at that kind of thing and might we see some familiar - but older - faces still around?<<

I won't say it's IMPOSSIBLE but I won't make any guarantees, either. Not right away, anyway. We're really trying to make sure that we don't do anything that creates probles for LotF.

-- John

12. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    Master Shan

It's an interesting face but I don't recall Jan ever showing it to me as we were developing the character and saying that she was going to use that as a base for Cade. She would've if she did. I think it's just a co-inkydink.

-- John

13. TypoCelchu

TypoCelchu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 1, 2005
    John:

I know that earlier in this very thread I expressed some reservation about this project. That opinion still stands. However, I think that it is important to remind you and those who have become quite overly critical that I chose to, and still choose to, reserve all judgements until AFTER it is released, something we ALL should do. Also, I think it is important for everyone to note that I can have reservations and still freely admit that I love your and Jan's work, and that I hope that my reservations are proven wrong many times over.

Typo

14. InquisitorBetts

InquisitorBetts Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2005
    Mr. Ostrander sir. If Cade could one day say that word you will officially become my all time hero.

Edit: And that Mara Jade stuff? Now theres an X-file for you.

15. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    NO! No "coinkydink"s in my Star Wars! People complain about Sith and Empires and Skywalker pirates and future jumps, but ridiculous words like this are the true threat to the continued integrity of Star Wars.

16. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    SW lost all credibility when Luke asked Obi-Wan what a duck was :p

17. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    >>SW lost all credibility when Luke asked Obi-Wan what a duck was <<

Now if he had asked WHY a duck, THAT would have been a scene!<g>

-- John

18. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    TypoCelchuÊ
    >>I know that earlier in this very thread I expressed some reservation about this project. That opinion still stands. However, I think that it is important to remind you and those who have become quite overly critical that I chose to, and still choose to, reserve all judgements until AFTER it is released, something we ALL should do. Also, I think it is important for everyone to note that I can have reservations and still freely admit that I love your and Jan's work, and that I hope that my reservations are proven wrong many times over. <<

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable response to me..

-- John

19. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    John, one of the things that I am looking twords most in this series is seeing what happend to many of the well known planets, especially those from the movies. Such as seeing if Coruscant has ever been completely returned to normal since what the Vong did to it, or simply seeing how much has changed or not changed on planets such as Mustafar, Utapau, Endor, Tatooine, Naboo... you get the idea.

If it would not be saying too much, do you think there is a chance we will be seeing familiar planets, or are you mostly going to be using new or EU locations?

20. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Good question. I could definatly see Coruscant appearing, and maybe Tatooine. For the plaent that's furthest from the bright center of the universe, lots of stuff happens there.

21. ZombieProblems

ZombieProblems Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2004
    Chiming in way late here, but I think this project holds
    alot of promise...

One thing I have to say, though, is Cade's hair is really dorky.
    He appears to have jelli-curls.

Other than that, he looks pretty cool. Reminds me of Dante
    from Devil May Cry...

Can't wait to see the Sith Twilek Girl in action! Shes sex'ay!

22. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Ferris Bueller's family saved the galaxy?

23. ZombieProblems

ZombieProblems Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2004
    From a certain point of view...

For was it not Bueller, the Chosen One, who restored balance
    to the Farce, by thwarting the Principal with his comedic hi-jinks
    and assorted shenanigans?

And then later, in his moment of anguished affluent teen angst,
    he helped sheppard his friend, Camron, from the generalized
    neglect of his mysterious Ferrari owning father to a more "free-
    wheelin'" guy who's not gonna let his dad push him around any
    more, gosh darnit!

So, in a way, he brought hope (in the form of truency and parades)
    to those who had none (Camron, who is a dork).

24. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999

"I should have mailed it to the Marz Brothers!"

25. dakinJmacwalker

dakinJmacwalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2005
    I hope he has Anakins saber still. Its the family saber I feel. And before we get like a million posts saying who cares about the stupid Lightsaber, well it started with Anakin and changed hands through the Skywalker family but most of all its mystic came from ANH when Ben Kenobi handed over the saber to Luke and told him it once belonged to his father and now it belongs to him and that was the first changing of the guard for the Skywalkers for that saber. I just think it would be cool to see 100 years later that this saber is still being passed through the Skywalker bloodline and it would be a cool reminder to Cade you may be able to escape being a jedi, but you can never stop being a Skywalker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.