main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Legacy Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jfostrander, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    No no no. The Hat. Does the Freakin' Sweet Hat show up?

2. ConservativeSoldier

ConservativeSoldier Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2005
    Naturally. I wasn't intending to be rude to 000.

3. The_Red_Blade

The_Red_Blade Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 10, 2005
    I join the camp that is somewhat leery of this new release. I have faith in John and Jan, I really do. Thier coverage of the Clone Wars has been something of a golden age for the EU, if for no other reason than everything is consistently well written and the stories all gell together.

I'm just afraid that everything seems so....stale. The fallen hero tries to flee from his past and his destiny, but finds he can't outrun them no matter how far he goes. Reluctantly, he must take up the banner of good and restore peace and justice to the galaxy.... Sure, it sounds compelling and may even be fun to read, but it's been done before, and not just in Star Wars.

The female Twi'lek Darth Maul is straight up fan service. The kiddies liked Maul, and everyone loves exposed Twi'lek midriff, so combining the two is great marketing sense. Except that we just read about a slutty Darksider Twi'Lek in the most recent (and not all that great) attempt to foray into the brave new post-NJO world. If she's well characterized, it she may be a fun read, but I don't know if she'll ever get past her cheap sexpot outfit to rise to the kind of intimidation and horror that Vader and Sidious inspired. And, as has been mentioned by others, I thought Lucas said no more Sith?

Finally, as has been mentioned before, its set WAY to close LoTF. The Big Three will have been laid to rest, but, baring some kind of major tradegy, alot of the NJO would be around as senior citizens (if the average human life span is up in the 120 range, the Solo Twins could still be around, as would Ben or any other Skywalker children). It also pre-determines a depressing end to the LotF, and seems to ensure that everything the Rebellion and New Republic fought to achieve won't long outlive it's founding members. If you're gonna do the future, I think they need to go a bit further to give the latest book series some time to develope itself and its succesors. Unless there are no more books......:eek: :p

So I wish you gentlemen all the best. I hope and want this series to be good, and it yet may. But like so much of Star Wars is these days, it seems like this might be an uphill battle.

EDIT: Anyone wanna place money on Excellence spontaneously combusting or having a heart attack when he reads this?

4. james_hewlett

james_hewlett Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2004
    Completly unbacked up and random predictions. Sith fully back, no rule of two, lots of trained sith about. Empire created from the GFFA to battle the threat of the Sith. Jedi order still out there, not officially with the Empire, but still helping occasionally, mando's are about, not mando wars strength but they'll be back. Cade i think is going to be cool as, and does look a lot like Billy Idol does now (check out the latest album!) with Steve Tylers mouth. VERY interested to see if we'll see Artoo. CANNOT WAIT! My jaw actually did drop. I wanna be the first with Cade's tattoo, I'm going to get it in the next couple of weeks. John, if you could post or send me a hi-res version of just the skull and cross bones symbol i would be really really apreiciated. Thank you John & Jan (and Dan and Brad, unsung heros, you really are) Thank you Dark Horse. Haven't been this excited about star wars since C3.

5. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm just afraid that everything seems so....stale. The fallen hero tries to flee from his past and his destiny, but finds he can't outrun them no matter how far he goes. Reluctantly, he must take up the banner of good and restore peace and justice to the galaxy.... Sure, it sounds compelling and may even be fun to read, but it's been done before, and not just in Star Wars.

That's the key, I don't think it'll necessarily be the case that Cade is going to end up a hero. Jon Ostander's Quinlan Vos saga is interesting because Vos never really gets over the Dark Side despite all of his efforts.

It might be amusing to see that Cade remains a "Grey Jedi" or perhaps serves as a Captain Harlock figure with his crew of misfits forever.

6. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    For clarification: on the "No Sith" thing, it's been repeatedly noted by Sue Rostoni (among others, including Leland Chee, IIRC) that the rule was given by Lucas for the NJO specifically, and that it's their impression that it was to let him finish telling his story before more Sith came into the picture. Certainly it's not off limits now, or we wouldn't be seeing this, would we? [face_mischief]

- Keralys

7. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I got it...

The new Empire is ruled by Waru. Cade must find the Frickin' Sweet Hat. Only then will Waru be defeated.

8. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    If Cade is a pirate I think that pretty much means we'll see "competing nations" as the rule here.

Empire, Republic, Mandalorians, Sith

It'll be more fun that way.

The Jedi being more like the TOTJ era

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I don't think Cade is just running from responsibility. It could be very true that the Sith/Empire have a price on his head for being a Skywalker. Or something in the LOTF could cause the the galaxy to turn against the Skywalkers, and the Jedi.

10. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    I'm sorry..."political beatdown?" Oh, that is so silly it's almost not even worth addressing.

On topic though, this series sounds awesome.

11. The_Red_Blade

The_Red_Blade Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 10, 2005
    That's what I'm actually really hoping to see. Didn't want to seem like too muh of a downer up there. As I said, there is stil hope.

12. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    You're not the only one, let me tell you. I have to say that you've summed up my feelings on this fairly concisely.[face_thinking]

13. 35969

35969 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2005
    This series sounds amazing. If it is canon (and most probably is) then we would find out the fates of the Big Three:eek:

And did anyone else notice the facial resemblance of Cade to Anakin Skywalker?

14. Dunc T'racen

Dunc T'racen Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 11, 2000
    To say I'm ambivalent about this is putting it lightly.

Tales and Tag & Bink are pretty much the only thing Dark Horse product I've actually had enough interest in to read in the last few years, so I have no idea what to expect from these folks. TotJ didn't bother me much since it was so far in the past, but this? I really don't like putting any kind of lid (no matter how far removed or well organized) on the Legacy books. In terms of SW, 100 years isn't all that long.

I'll try it, I guess. But my impression right now is very meh, especially considering Rambo Skywalker there.

15. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Good comparison, I'd say. At this point the series seems to have a very typical sort of 80's look to it.

16. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    As long as there is no minimalism ...

17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Holy crap, looks like Darkhorse took Del Rey's balls.

There's a great potential in this to screw everything up, but I remain cautiously optimistic.

18. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    and Cade blows up 100 ships and a fuel dump.

"That should cripple the Empire!"

"Whew, 10,000 troops lost in a battle. That'll seriously weaken the Empire!"

"Well ten of the Sith are dead, that's almost a third of their group."

"A mile long Starship! One of the biggest ships ever made!"

:)

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, I mean, the movies aren't minimalist at all.

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    And on that starship, on the outside is a big, big petrol tank, painted bright red with the words: Shoot here in bright letters...

21. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Hmm. Looking at that gun, and that outfit...

Cade = Mad Max?

"I'm just here for the Tibanna gas." :D :cool:

22. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    OK, this officially makes up for ROTS being robbed of all those Oscar nominations.

23. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    GALACTICEMPIRE, DeathStar, DeathStarII, TradeFederation-blockade of Naboo, battle for Coruscant in ROTS ...I-)

24. Darth_Culator

Darth_Culator Jedi Master star 2

Dec 10, 2005
    Considering that comics are sometimes the best at grasping the scale of the GFFA (Dark Empire, Crimson Empire, etc.), I'm cautiously optimistic.

And I can't wait to see the equivalent of a Star Destroyer in 140 ABY. If we don't see one soon, or we see one but it isn't as freakin sweet as it should be, or they only use 100-year-old ships, I will feel severely shortchanged. Though I wouldn't mind if Imperial-class SDs are the equivalent of Dreadnaughts. (I'll drop this now before I infect this thread with fleetjunkieitis.)

But am I the only one who thought of Cade Foster when I first heard the name Cade Skywalker?

25. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    With all these predictions and similarities to TotJ, KotOR, and the GCW, all I can think of is the cylon quote: "All this has happened before, and will happen again."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.