main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Lightsabre Competition

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DaftMaul, Mar 1, 2002.

?

The Official Lightsabre Competition

Poll closed Mar 10, 2002.
  1. Rotoscope Clip 'B'

49 vote(s)
    37.1%
  2. Rotoscope Clip 'C'

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  3. Rotoscope Clip 'D'

11 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Rotoscope Clip 'E'

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  5. Rotoscope Clip 'F'

13 vote(s)
    9.8%
  6. Rotoscope Clip 'G'

3 vote(s)
    2.3%
  7. Rotoscope Clip 'H'

8 vote(s)
    6.1%
  8. Rotoscope Clip 'I'

39 vote(s)
    29.5%
  9. Rotoscope Clip 'J'

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  10. Rotoscope Clip 'K'

3 vote(s)
    2.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarn

Tarn Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2002
    Hey JediTAC - all good points being made in this thread. It's nice to find a sensible and tolerant internet group, rather than one full of the usual idiots.

On a semi-related matter, though, that of negative comments about somebody's work...as an amateur filmmaker/writer myself (and one hoping to go professional ASAP), I very much rely on other people to tell me the absolute truth about my work.

If I make something terrible, I want people to tell me. Sure, it'll make me feel not-so-great, but it'll also spur me on to try harder the next time.

Nasty as it is, what initially knocks us down only makes us stronger. :)

Just a few thoughts! (although I suspect I'm preaching to the converted here...)

2. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Don't worry folks, it wasn't that big a deal. When I first got involved with this competition this was the only thing that worried me, that there would be 'winners', and there would be 'losers'. I'm really pleased that it didn't ever get ackward, and there where never any hard feelings with any one of the people that entered the competition. I'm also pretty sure StupidFilms will be happy with a free copy of ALAM DV2 as 'compensation' :) That's very cool of you to ALAMDV, nice one.

EDIT: BTW ALAMDV, if there are really good examples of ALAM DV laserswrods, or blasters etc, it wouldn't be a bad idea to post them over here once in a while as you have just done. I have to confess I never realised ALAMDV laserswords could look that good, and not everyone here trawls the ALAM DV boards looking at the latest examples.

3. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    WOW .... I am totally impressed by that. [face_shocked]
    VERY cool of you, AlamDV.

I was merely pointing out what I thought to be a mis-phrasing of words.
    (And I, of all people, am an expert at that). ;)

And as most people who know me on here will attest to, I am the foremost champion and proponent of
    CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. Not everyone will like everyone's work ... but one can certainly phrase his/her comments and suggestions in a respectful and constructive manner. :D

All is well in Lightsaber Land.

JediTAC

4. Tarn

Tarn Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2002
    Seems like a nice atmosphere round here. Maybe I'll have to start checking out theforce.net more often - I've always been a little scared about running into spoilers before....

5. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Well, Tarn, spoilers are a big problem here, but the admins seem to keep good tabs on it now.

The good thing is that they're officially limited to two forums, neither of which is Fan Films.

6. StupidFilmsInc

StupidFilmsInc Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2001
    OK! NOW YOU HAVE ME A LITTLE ******!(YES I KNOW I HAVE THE CAPS LOCK KEY ON) I FRIGGIN PAID FOR YOUR ****** PROGRAM WITH MY HARD EARNED MONEY I GET FROM MY LAME @$$ JOB BAGGIN GROCERIES MAKIN $5 AN HOUR! THAT'S RIGHT! I'M A "VALUED CUSTOMER!" I KNOW THE CLIP WASN'T THE GREATEST BUT DO YA HAVE TO GO AROUND SAYIN THINGS LIKE YOU DIDN'T KNOW YOUR PROGRAM COULD MAKE THINGS LOOK THAT BAD. TAKE IT EASY MAN! I'M 15!! I WAS ACTUALLY PLEASED WITH MY OUTCOME, I DIDN'T EXPECT TO WIN, BUT I WAS PLEASED WITH IT! NOW I'M BOYCOTTING YOUR LITTLE PROGRAM. I CAN'T BELIEVE I ACTUALLY RECOMENDED IT TO SOME PEOPLE! I BETTER TELL THEM NOT TO TRY ANYTHING ON THE NET WITH IT, CAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW WHERE AN ALAMDV EMPLOYE MIGHT BE LURKING READY TO TRASH IT! I ORIGINALY HAD A BETTER CLIP BUT IT SOMEHOW BECAME CURRUPTED SO I HAD TO DO IT AGAIN. THE ONE ON THE SITE I DID IN 25 MINUTES! ALSO, I WAS PLANNING TO USE YOUR PROGRAM FOR MY UPCOMING FANFILM, BUT HAVE JUST DECIDED TO POSTPONE IT TILL I GET PHOTOSHOP JUST BECAUSE I REFUSE TO USE YOUR PROGRAM NOW! ALSO BE SURE TO LOOK FOR SOME SIMI HIDDEN "ALAMDV SUCKS" MESSAGES IN OUR NEXT FILM. GOD THIS ****** ME OFF! ANYONE ELSE WANNA HELP ME OUT HERE, OR AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO FOUND WHAT HE SAID A LITTLE RUDE? I KNOW YA'LL PROBABLY THINK I'M OVER REACTING, BUT HOW WOULD ONE OF YOU PHOTOSHOP USERS FEEL IF SOME ADOBE REP CAME TRASHIN SOMETHIN YOU DID? REMEMBER, DOWN HERE IN TENNESSE WE DON'T GET MAD, WE GET EVEN!

P.S. IT IS OK TO SAY **** ISN'T IT? AM I GUNNA HAVE TO EDIT THIS?

EDIT: That'll be no then.

7. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Now that's class. You do Tennessee proud, StupidFilms.

[image=http://skyhiker.homestead.com/files/drama.jpg]

M. Scott

8. Digital_LlamaCH

Digital_LlamaCH Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2001
    <lies on ground dying of lack of breath, laughing WAY too hard>

-Chris

9. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    Ummmmmm ..... I thought he was getting a FREE copy of AlamDV 2 ??? :confused:

I didn't mean to insite a riot here. [face_shocked]

10. averagejoe

averagejoe Jedi Youngling

Sep 10, 2001
    LMAO, I was going to post something useful but after reading Stupid Films' response to his critics description I am at aloss of words...ROTFL
    Okay, here I go 1st off I have to say DUDE CHILL! I agree that maybe ALAMDV's judgment was a bit harsh but, critiques like this happen. It is part of the creative process. I am sure that ALAMDV is very apologetic for his poor choice of words. The guys that built the program are fans themselves and are straight talkers. The Adobe guy may not tell you it was terrible, but an Adobe guy would not be looking around at this kinda stuff anyway. Why would Adobe care, they make too much money on other stuff. I think that maybe the statement that set this off stemmed from the fact that this was not a good representation of the program they have built. Unfortunately your submission was the only representative for the program. I personally would have submitted one but I did not find out about it until the voting started. I need to repent and start frequenting this community again... Personally I would rather someone tell me my work sucks so I can improve. Instead of an immature rant you should complain to the ALAMDV team proper. ALAMDV has always worked tirelessly to support its endusers. And I am sure that they can and will resolve the situation. I get the feelling that even if ALAMDV used a politically correct statement you would still have responded as such.

Lastly, I was born in Tennesee and live in Alabama. Here we Take Criticism like Men.

11. ALAMDV

ALAMDV Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2001
    I'll say it again StupidFilmsInc - I'm sorry. It was the wrong thing to say, have you never done that? The words were incorrect and out of place. If you would like a refund please come to our chat room and tell me your user details so I can sort out the transfer of funds.

I had a load of people come and tell me about this competition and our entry one night in the AlamDV chat room and I didn't separate myself from the opinions of these people.

I work over 18 hours a day trying to make AlamDV a good program to use and this doesn't always help my mental state when trying to make posts about these kinds of things.

You say it isn't your best clip but I still shouldn't have said what I said. I can only offer you a refund and appologise.

If there is anyway we can sort this out then please come and chat with me so I can appologise in person - I hate to think that I have hurt your feelings as I'm the last one to talk about special effects having never made a film in my life :)

12. StupidFilmsInc

Jul 7, 2001
    Oh God! I would like to apologize on behalf o the whole SFI group and my friend who wrote that 1 of the other 2 people that run SFI. Let me try and fix some things.

He was a little mad about the competition because that was his first real attemt at rotoing and he had 3 Amp energy drinks running through him, which glow in the dark I might add. He said he's sorry and I'm about to change the pass for this site so he can't access it until he learns to chill.

Although we will not be using AlamDV its only because I'm getting Photoshop 7 in a few weeks, not because we are mad at your company. Also, there won't be any AlamDV sucks signs in the film. Oh, and thanks for the AlamDV 2 offer, but it's not neccesary. We already have version one, just haven't upgraded and like I said earlier Photoshop is coming.

Peace out to my fellow nerdy homies!

13. Master_Comyn

Master_Comyn Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2000
    Did you mention something about Tennessee? I think the proper phrase is, "We don't get mad. We just shoot."

14. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    I guess you named your company after your partner then StupidFilms :) Make sure you don't let him use your computer any more.

It's quite interesting reading through this latest little melodrama, first of all I did think ALAM's comment was a little harsh (read little-not a lot) but they more than made up for it with their offer of a free programme and a public apology (and let's be honest, there wasn't that much to apologise for) and then in comes Mr Caps Lock, and I'm left saying to myself 'take the offer of the free programme back, take the offer of the free programme back!' :)

StupidFilms, tell your mate that the stuff he just wrote about ALAM DV is FAR more offensive than the thing ALAM said to him, and that he will one day learn that when people apologise, he should be big enough to accept the apology, and have a bit more class.

As for what he said about ALAM DV, I don't actually agree either. Although I don't like ALL of the effects in the programme, there are some I do like, and I'll let you into a little secret here, I'm actually going to use ALAM DV for some of the effects in Storm Ahead This from someone who already owns Photoshop and After Effects. I wonder if you can guess which effects I am using? :)

15. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Oh, I'm gonna use ALAMDV all the time for my film.

The mussle flashes are great, and the explosions too.

The blasters look great as well, and after seeing what ALAM DV can do with sabers, I might consider trying to find a better method to do sabers with it.

ALAMDV, you wanna give me that free copy of ALAM DV 2? :D

16. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    Hey ... I'm sorry for sparking all of this.
    I had no idea StupidFilmsInc's partner would lash out so childishly.

I hope everyone's back on the right track now. :D

17. StupidFilmsInc

Jul 7, 2001
    quick update! He also said he didn't relize that Alam apologized. I'm still gunna kick'em in the balls though!

18. ALAMDV

ALAMDV Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2001
    Its ok StupidFilmsInc although it did scare me a bit.

I am really sorry - it was a silly thing to say. I new version of AlamDV2 is out this weekend so I hope you will give it a try and see what you think - also feel free to come and have a chat in the AlamDV chat room and tell us how to improve our program.

I can't wait for Photoshop 7 either but we will still try to make our program the best application for fan film makers - if you want any effects then come and tell us.

As Tarn said, this really is a great forum. I will try to visit more often but I don't want to make people angry by talking about my program too much (and I'll try not to say silly things :) ).

I know there are other methods for making effects apart from AlamDV, and I know they produce fantastic results. It's my job to try and recreate these effects as closely as possible and put them in a simple interface that everyone can use. That way people can get on with the job of making great films without thinking about how they are gonna make muzzle flashes, lasers, explosions and lightsabers.

Well thats what I hope anyway :D

P.S.

EagleIFilms : Pop in and say hello in the chat room sometime - what version of AlamDV do you have now?

&

DaftMaul : You really might use AlamDV for something - thats great news. Remember if you would like us to make a specific effect come and chat on the site. Your site is really nice and the few shot on there look amazing - I hope you post the movie with us as well when its finished (or at least let me see it)!

19. StupidFilmsInc

Jul 7, 2001
    Wow! I just checked out the AlamDV 2, and that is a big improvment from the original. I'm even considering buying it, but I'm not still totally sure I'm gunna use it for my film. The reson being is the other person who is helping me roto this thing already has Premiere and Photoshop and I would have to buy two copies to get it all rotoed. Nice upgrade though.

20. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    What's ALAM DV?

::smirk::

See how easy it is to break tension? Jeez!

(Nathan is bored as all get-out right now.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.