main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Official "List Your Complaints about Rogue One" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by BretHart, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Bossk_Baby

Bossk_Baby Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 1, 2018
    Here’s some of what I like about R1:

- Mads Mikkelson’s hologram monologue about intentionally sabotaging the Death Star
    - excellent cast and characters, Krennic being absolute all time SW great
    - Riz Ahmed turns what should be an unmemorable character and gives him lasting impact
    - everything about the partisans as the hyper militant wing of the rebel alliance
    - oh, it’s beautiful (visuals & choreography)
    - VISTAS
    - raddus
    - great alien designs and awesome lived in locations, in particular Jedha City, Ring of Kafrene, and Scarif
    - Vader has a lava castle
    - let them pass in peace
    - extending the sub sub subplot of Evazen and Ponda fightin’ round the galaxy
    - all the prequel references, but I especially loved seeing Bail
    - they resurrected Peter Cushing from the dead and gave him a meaty subplot
    - three seconds of coruscant
    - Kenobi and Palpatine get shoutouts
    - literally every character is killed, the women and the children too
    - LIES! DECEPTIONS!
    - Vader goes ham on some rebels
    - world-building
    - several twi’leks spotted, did you know the ugliest one is bib fortunas cousin?
    - the recreation of yavin IV and the return of red and gold leader
    - what is she proposing?!?
    - did I mention raddus? Ok, let’s go ahead and mention him again

It’s just hard to top all that, there’s really not much about Solo that gets me excited about anything like R1. But I’ve only seen Solo once. And it’s already growing on me. And to be fair I was underwhelmed with R1 when I first saw it, it took some processing and multiple viewings. Now it’s top 3 for me, after only ANH/ESB.

EDIT - I guess since this is the R1 complaints thread I should complain about it. Hmm - could have done without the droids cameo. unnecessary! But other than that, I think it’s super great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    Avnar, coervus, Bor Mullet and 3 others like this.
  2. mirrorbright

mirrorbright Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 14, 2016
    I agree about the droids cameo, it wasn't necessary for the movie (it's one of those fan service scenes many people complained about). But then again, I didn't mind it. I often forget they were even in it [face_laugh].

3. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I didn't mind the droids cameo, but I thought the Dr. Evazan and Ponda Baba cameo was really distracting and felt a bit forced.

4. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I didn't mind any of the cameos. I understand the criticisms that it makes the GFFA seem small, or that it can seem shoehorned, but I'm just more accepting of it. SW likes its nods and familiar faces popping up; it's nothing new. All the cameos were either big ones I liked (Vader, Tarkin) or small ones I just don't mind.

wobbits likes this.
  5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I just thought R2 and 3PO should've just been shuffling about on the Tantive IV at the end. A much more elegant solution. This is the only thing about RO that bothers me because it wasn't organic in the story. There's no reason why we should be watching those two droids, in the context of the storyline, talk about why they weren't told about Scarif. Evazan and Baba, on the other hand, were a natural part of creating tension in Jedha. Just two roughs on the mean streets. We only react to it because we know they're in ANH. People who don't just see them as extras that bring some color to Jedha. On the other hand, a lay audience might say to themselves: "Who are those two droids, and why are we listening to them complain?"

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    DarthFixxxer and EHT like this.
  6. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I echo that sentiment. I didn't necessarily go into Solo with high expectations (the original trailers to R1 got me extremely excited for it; the hype for Solo wasn't really what got me to the theaters this weekend). As I mentioned in another post, I didn't even intend to see it this weekend anyway. It was more like, well, it's Star Wars and if I see it sooner rather than later I could talk about it in here without getting spoiled in advance. The story itself just wasn't memorable to me. R1 had the special characters that many people could connect to. And the ending of the movie was among the most poignant in any SW movie. The only thing (as I've mentioned earlier in this thread) that I didn't like in R1 was Saw's character. He was shoe-horned in as a nod to TCW fans; and yet they didn't even give him time to elaborate on his background.

mirrorbright likes this.
  7. coervus

coervus Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2017
    Watching it again, I can appreciate the droids being there for a bit of relief from the tension, which is considerable in that whole section of the movie. I think that the moment feels particularly staged/forced because they're just kind of standing there and delivering a line whereas the rest of the scene and the shots that directly precede and follow it are full of motion. Maybe it would have worked better if they had been moving as well, like being ushered onboard the Tantive IV. And certainly a snappier line.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yup. Would've been much more OK with it is the camera was moving with R2 and 3PO, following other Rebel soldiers to their ships and stuff.

9. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    Not enough space jewelry.

Bor Mullet and coervus like this.
  10. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I call "Chirrut Imwe is overrated"

11. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    [​IMG]

12. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    You are my hero.

13. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I'll double in down: he's not even in the top 5 of RO's best characters, which are in turn mostly inferior to the majority of characters in the other Disney movies.

14. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Hah! If I made a top 5 character list from the Disney era, all 5 of them would be from Rogue One. Maybe I could squeeze in one from SOLO. Maybe. Chirrut Imwe might actually go to the top to be honest. Well no, Jyn Erso is definitely at the top.

On topic.... I would be ok with even moaaar Vader. It's not really much of a complaint. This movie was a masterpiece to me, and it's the only Star Wars movie that I actually praise as a movie outside of its genre and its context. I really have to try hard to find complaints. I guess that Cassian's fall should have prevented him from actually saving the day on the top of the tower. I would have preferred it if Jyn Erso had neutralized Krennic on her own. Cassian Andor's interference was a little bit of a cliche.

15. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Then we disagree. He's for sure behind K2SO, Krennic, Vader, Jyn Raddus and Cassian. And among the ones I mentioned, I genuinely liked with enthusiasm only the first three. I'm quite neutral about the others.

16. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Even though he wasn't a Jedi - He was a better representation of one than any that was shown in the PT!

17. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I'm not very expert in the PT, so I'm not the right person to agree or disagree. I think people are praising him too much. I don't actively dislike him, but I don't think it deserves the appreciation he received. In addition, I have the following issues:

1) The choice of having an Asian actor precisely in the role of the monk who's trained in martial arts is lame.
    2) in some moments it is even possible to distinguish his accent.
    3) He beats the Stormtroopers with a stick. I was really hoping not to see something similar again after RTJ.

18. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Fair enough. I must admit before I saw the film I had the exact same complaints - Guess he just won me over :cool:

3sm1r likes this.
  19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    People aren’t “praising him too much.” They just don’t agree with you.

20. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    What point are you trying to make? Since in this forum they praise him beyond what I think he deserves, yes, in my opinion they are praising him too much.

21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The point is simple. It’s not that other people are praising him “too much.” Those people praise him exactly as much as is consistent with their subjective opinions about his character and performance. It’s that you simply don’t praise him as much as others because you have a different opinion about his character and performance. And so you praise him exactly as much as is consistent with your subjective opinion about his character and performance.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  22. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    This is one of the most pedantic posts I've seen in a long time.
    Of course, when I speak I am not assuming that whatever I say comes directly from god. It is obviously subjective. So let me refrase my statement in a way that is more suited for you :
    "I don't understand all this excitement for Chirrut"
    Does it sound better?

Bor Mullet likes this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Relax. I’m not angry. I simply prefer the approach of expressing one’s own opinion about something without impugning the opinions of others. And I’m certainly not perfect, in that regard. I’ve been guilty of the same thing when it comes to the ST, and other franchises like the MCU. But I’m actively trying to avoid it.

ETA: And yes, your revised sentence sounds better. :)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    3sm1r likes this.
  24. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    My only complaint with Rogue One is Saw Gerrera. I don't particularly like Forest Whittaker's performance in the movie, even though there is no doubt Whittaker is a fine actor.

I think it's the voice, and that strange staccato way of speaking that he uses. It really irritates me.

Ahsoka's Tano and Deliveranze like this.
  25. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Everything about Gerrera was really the only thing bothered me about R1. They shoehorned him in there without any real acknowledgement of his background; as if he was simply a new character to the saga and not one who actually made a name for himself in TCW. And the actor doesn't look or sound like his character did in the animated series by any stretch.
    [​IMG]
    You're telling me over the years Saw just happened to put on a few pounds during his run-ins with the Empire while everyone else was starving as their resources were being depleted? Just seems weird to me.

Deliveranze and Iron_lord like this.