main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Official "List Your Complaints about Rogue One" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by BretHart, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I'm glad I read this. One of the only complaints I have about this amazing film was this whole scenario - It was overly complicated. I'm glad I read your post because it puts that minor gripe to bed for me :cool:

Riv_Shiel, EHT and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  2. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    No, they had a meeting about the message from Galen Erso, and the Death Star itself. And how there is a flaw, and that they need to fight. Nothing was mentioned about the destruction of Jeddah or that it was caused by the Death Star. And how would they know the Death Star caused the destruction of Jeddah? Cassian, Chirrut, Baze, and Bodie are all in their cells, and Jyn is watching the message from her father. None of them have a visual on the Death Star.

3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    The meeting is indeed about the Death Star - a superweapon previously known to them as a "planet killer". They also know that Jeddha was destroyed after the Empire pulled out of there. So of course they know that the Empire destroyed Jeddha, and they're obviously able to put two and two together.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup:

"The time to fight is now. Every moment you waste is another step closer to the ashes of Jedha."

Bor Mullet, DARTH_BELO, EHT and 2 others like this.
  5. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I won't list any complaints because of I have none.

:)

(Except for Bor Gullet... That one doesn't... Doesn't count!)

DurararaFTW and Sarge like this.
  6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    There is a scene in the film where General Draven learns of Jedha's destruction. So yes, the Rebel Alliance knew.

7. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Because Bor Gullet knows the truth.

8. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Boom.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  9. antitoxicgamer

antitoxicgamer Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 9, 2020
    One problem I have with Rogue One is this that they made Death Star blowing up planets like some atomic bomb instead of making it look like Episode 4 where a planet just gets blown up by a laser instantly.

Edit: I also disliked the Vader hallway scene. It kinda felt that they just wanted to make a live action version of Star Wars Battlefront Vader.(which was completely non-canon.)

If Vader was that powerful then he would just toss Luke around in the carbon freezing chamber like a doll.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    CampOfSorgan likes this.
  10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It’s because of the power level settings. In Rogue One, the two DS attacks we see are “low” level - single reactor - to prove a point and make a demonstration, but intentionally NOT to destroy the entire planet like the attack on Alderaan. So the result looks different.

11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yes. And that was clearly spelled out in the dialogue between Tarkin and Krennic.

12. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    "We need a statement, not a manifesto". Loved that line, and its delivery. Felt very much like something Tarkin would say, and how he would say it.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  13. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    But Luke isn't a throwaway Rebel fighter, he's a Jedi-in-training. And Vader does get Luke in the carbon freeze chamber pretty easily and overpowers him in that duel.

lord_sidious_ and canuckmuse like this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Luke was a Jedi in training. The dudes in Rogue One were just regular Rebel grunts.

lord_sidious_ and canuckmuse like this.
  15. antitoxicgamer

Sep 9, 2020
    But Luke wasn't in any way as powerful as a Jedi Padawan at that time.(Even episode 1 Obi Wan and Episode 2 Anakin were more capable than Episode 5 Luke.)

He didn't even used his lightsaber in the cloud city before facing Vader.(He just used his blaster pistol instead of using his lightsaber to deflect Boba Fett and imperials shots.)

16. Starith

Apr 5, 2020
    ^Luke is still capable of more against Darth Vader than the Rebel fighters in RO. Vader has no problem mowing them down, but in ESB he's not trying to kill Luke. It's a one-on-one lightsaber duel with his son as opposed to a quick slaughter of Rebels in the hall. They're totally different scenarios.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Saw didn’t say “what will you become” thus it was false advertising when he said it in the trailer and I demand Lucasfilm give me my money back.

No my real complaint is that I think Saw was underutilized in the film wish he had made it farther.

18. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    ESB Luke put up a decent fight against Vader, and a recent comic had him defeated a Force-less, sort of hologram rendition of the Grand Inquisitor, not that long after Bespin. I´d say that puts him certainly above the level of an average Padawan. If he isn't, why Vader is "impressed, most impressed" with him?

Bor Mullet likes this.
  19. antitoxicgamer

Sep 9, 2020
    Vader mostly killed Padawans and weak Jedis than Jedi Knights and Jedi Masters between episodes 3 and 4.
    He also had the help of the imperial troopers in hunting them down.(Which helped him to outnumber them significantly.)

And he was impressed with Luke because Luke was fighting well despite this that he wasn't still a Jedi.

In Lucas era SW, Vader was a much weaker version of Anakin. But in Disney era Vader is a more powerful version of Anakin.

20. Starith

Apr 5, 2020
    ^Again, his duel with Luke, and with other Force-users in general, are much different than the hallway scene in RO. It's not just about power levels and who's stronger than who, the situations play a huge factor. And I really don't see the idea of Darth Vader slaughtering some standard Rebels with ease makes him overpowered.

21. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    Oh, no problem, we can agree to disagree. For me, one of the best things to come out of the new canon is how Vader is treated, and not because its different to the original view, but quite the opposite. It reminds me now of how Vader was generally perceived during the OT era, before the Prequels. Vader was never meant to be weak, but the character was very strong back then, before it was decided that a "great" way to promote a new character was to slap a "he/she is stronger than Vader" tag to his/her back. I´m really glad to see all that gone. When it comes to Vader, we are back to the basics, now, how I remember Star Wars in the 80s...

22. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    They better put out some Vader content while James Earl Jones is still alive. Or at least get him to record a whole bunch of Vader lines that they can use later on. I can't even imagine the wave of criticism when they eventually do Vader with another voice actor mimicking Jones.

23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    What exactly is it that you’re not grasping regarding the difference between Vader fighting a force-sensitive Jedi in training and not trying to kill him (actually trying to recruit him), and fighting Rebel soldier grunts that he’s desperately trying to kill as quickly as possible in order to get the Death Star plans? I’m not being rude. I just want to ask you the question as directly as possible so I can better understand what you’re missing.
    I heard Anthony Ingruber can also do a mean Vader impression...

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  24. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Sadly, JEJ doesn't really sound much like Vader these days, anyway. I understand wanting to keep him because he's the original, but in terms of getting someone to sound like OT-era Vader, they could probably find someone else who could do a more convincing match.

Sarge and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  25. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I think he sounded alright in Rogue One. There's a lot to be said for having the original voice. If it came down to it, and if need be, I'd probably rather have a JEJ voice that's slightly modified to sound like his OT-era Vader, than I would a completely different voice altogether. At least for now. Eventually he'll get replaced. But I think replacing him any time prior to his voice and health declining significantly (or worse) wouldn't be good PR for Disney era Star Wars.