main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Official "List Your Complaints about Rogue One" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by BretHart, Dec 15, 2016.

1. paradigmes

paradigmes Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 9, 2021
    For me personally, I think that Jyn and Cassians not knowing their mission had been successful add to the overall poignancy of their situation and sacrifice.

Sarge, EHT and TCF-1138 like this.
  2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    They do, don't they?
    I think Saw is too far gone by the time of Rogue One to really do anything heroic. We've seen Saw's many different sides throughout his appearances, including his heroic side. By the time of RO, however, he's a pathetic, paranoid half-man, half-machine. His hero days are over. I think he even knows this himself, which is why he simply gives up when the Death Star obliterates Jeddha.

Bor Mullet, EHT and paradigmes like this.
  3. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Not enough for me. Took several re-viewings to catch and remember them all. Somebody once told me it was good thing because it played to the narrative of these people being essentially strangers working together...I just think it's bad editing...I'm sure there were more name drops in there and we just didn't get them on screen.

Maybe I am just getting old...but I didn't have any problem holding onto character names from the ST.

I get that, and that is what I tell myself...I just think a final act to cement a spirit of "good intention" would have made him less...disposable.

As it is, he dies, and you don't blink an eye, even if you know the characters back story.

I wonder if his characterization was another casualty of the cutting room. A little more about his and Jyn's journey together. Instead, we get this idea of him being kind of a monster, second only to the empire, and Jyn as miserable and rebellious to him, let alone the empire...a dramatic fall from the start of the film where this man rescues her...which makes his passing and her reactions (or lack thereof) pretty hollow. Even more then that...if that was the intended path for him all along...why linger on his death at all? Why not simply have the team escape his hideout and the planet is destroyed and we assume his death and move on. We get the "Hero" shot of him standing before the blastwave...and I think most people are like "buh-bye". Quite a scene to leave in for a whiny jerk. I think they wanted his plea to Jyn to be his redemption in the final cut, but it comes across as whiny and really, too little, too late.

I dunno...I was expecting more.

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, I agree. After all, "rebellions are built on hope."

5. paradigmes

Jun 9, 2021
    Yes, and what I think it also demonstrate perfectly is the cruelty of war. The forgotten heroes in war aren't typically men and women who get to have a hero's ending but those who quietly give their life as part of a much larger effort. Admiral Radus had no time for hang around and mourn the Rogue One, he paid his quick tribute and then had to flee so that the mission succeed and the sacrifice were not all for nothing. It show how they were just a small but crucial part of a larger push, and I like that about this film.

Sorry, I think I am supposed to complain about the film in this topic.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  6. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    The thread title is a trick; there are not actually any valid complaints about Rogue One. :p

7. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    agreed, probably should just close the thread :p

8. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    No, we need it to give the illusion that the forum is open to all viewpoints. :p

9. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Thank the maker the "this is a rebellion. I rebel" line in the trailer did not make the movie. I had to see an optometrist from my eyes rolling back in my head over that line.

10. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    I thought of a couple complaints, the battle of Scarif, particularly the space battle portions, could have been longer, and Wedge was probably there and they didn’t show him, wtf

11. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    They decided they couldn't have Wedge there in person at the battle because it would potentially be at odds continuity-wise with his "look at the size of that thing!" exclamation later in ANH, when he first saw the DS. Not all the X-wing pilots at Scarif actually saw the DS when it arrived, but probably all of those that survived the battle did. So instead they have Wedge do the announcement over the intercom at the Rebel base on Yavin when they're getting ready to go to Scarif.

12. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    that’s an ok explanation, I buy it

I still think it was a missed opportunity, someone smarter than me should have come up with someway to include him, but whatever it’s a minor nitpick, it doesn’t effect the main story

13. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    And they even dug up the guy who voiced Wedge in ANH to read the announcement.

paradigmes and EHT like this.
  14. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm going to go against the crowd here, and say I liked that line.

Because, I rebel.

15. paradigmes

Jun 9, 2021
    Wedge was meaning that he has seen Mega Maid [face_laugh]

[​IMG]

16. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    Personally, something that does slightly bug me about the film is the lack of alien characters. It's an entirely human and droid main cast, which isn't terrible but it still would have been nice to have an alien in it somewhere. Especially since there were alien characters considered earlier in the film's development.

17. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    That I can somewhat agree with. Would have loved to have had a Rodian in the team or something.
    But at least they gave us some great aliens as minor characters.

paradigmes and CosmoHender like this.
  18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    They moved Admiral Raddus to a support role when they recognized he steals the entire film.

19. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I think the aim of RO was to compliment and resemble the tone of ANH. Even the music is similar. ANH is probably the most human centric SW film. Yes we have Chewie, and the cantina, but the main characters are almost all human. It would have been jarring to have tons of non human characters, and then go into ANH, if you are watching in order of the timeline.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    Darth__Lobot and paradigmes like this.
  20. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Also because they realized that support from Admiral Raddus guarantees success.

Darth__Lobot and paradigmes like this.
  21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I have a complaint about R1: it makes all the other new SW films look worse.

Darth__Lobot, paradigmes, EHT and 3 others like this.
  22. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, It's kind of like how Raddus makes all of the other Rebel leaders look. :)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  23. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Exactly. They did the right thing, and died for it, not because of a certainty of success, but because it was the right thing.

24. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    Saw has been posthumously made into a problem with the film. At the time of his death, he was only in the Onderon arc and Catalyst. The former, he wasn't great in, Catalyst made him more interesting, (oh and I guess Rebel Rising, on my to do list.) But his growing appearances have made him a far more interesting character, from Bad Batch to Rebels. Him dying the way he does is an unsatisfying
    end to his journey, which should have extended far further into the saga, providing a further foil to the Alliance.

Jedimarine likes this.
  25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    My only real complaint is that the score is probably the weakest of the other movies. Actually, it's ahead of Solo.

Sarge likes this.