main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Official "List Your Complaints about Rogue One" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by BretHart, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I really like the realism of there being varied force beliefs, orders, practices, etc. Makes the world that much more interesting.

Darth__Lobot, TX-20, Sarge and 3 others like this.
  2. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    I'm thankful that they didn't make Chirrut a Jedi for the same reason they didn't make Lyra Erso a Jedi (which was the original idea). Because Rogue One isn't a story about the Jedi. And honestly if they had just made Chirrut a Jedi, I don't think he would be as interesting.

Iron_lord, TX-20, Sarge and 4 others like this.
  3. CosmoHender

Dec 2, 2016
    Here's a minor nitpick that I have... Admiral Raddus died off-screen. It doesn't bother me too much, but I just kinda wish that we had actually seen his death instead of it having to be confirmed behind-the-scenes.

4. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    This thread should not have even reached 2 pages! :p

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Raddus isn't dead. Raddus is life.

6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Don't worry. 90% of it is people defending Rogue One from criticism. Which is completely outside the bounds of the thread. But Rogue One is so good that the criticisms of it can't sustain a thread for very long. So the thread needed help from the movie's fans. ;)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    @EHT and I are terrible at modding this particular thread. :p

8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The example used to illustrate the concept of "conflict of interest" in this year's edition of the Oxford English dictionary is "@TCF-1138 and @EHT moderating a thread about criticisms of Rogue One."

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    They say that if it's a quiet night, sometimes, when you look up at the stars, if you listen carefully, you can hear a distant voice, defiantly calling out, "I say we fight!"

11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
  12. VaderBoyee

VaderBoyee Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 9, 2021
    AWESOME until the ending. The same goes for Solo.

13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I agree. Awesome until the ending when it became even awesomer.

14. VaderBoyee

VaderBoyee Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 9, 2021
    Cool. But I meant the ending for both were too fast or confusing.

15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Just messing with you. But now that you elaborated on it, what was “too fast” or “confusing” about the ending of Rogue One?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  16. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Vader should've killed those Rebel troopers a lot, lot slower, plus he could've shouted "I want that disk, it contains the plans for the Death Star!"

17. BlueYogurt

BlueYogurt Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2021
    His death was better off screen, trust me. Without going into too much detail, Palpatine had calamari marinara for dinner that night.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
    CosmoHender likes this.
  18. CosmoHender

Dec 2, 2016
    Ah, so that's why Palpatine didn't appear in A New Hope... Raddus had his revenge. [face_sick]

19. ZodaEX

ZodaEX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 27, 2015
    I'm so disappointed in this Rogue One film that Lucasfilm shot it on digital video instead of real film. In 8 years they'll be able to remaster episodes 7-9 to 8k resolution, but Rogue One will forever be stuck in only 4k. :(

20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Who cares, it looks fantastic.

21. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    That's something you 100% don't have to worry about.

How good a film looks has little to do with resolution. Steve Yedlin, coincidentally the cinematographer of The Last Jedi, made a really interesting video where he compared the perceived clarity and sharpness of different cameras, ranging from 3K digital cameras to 65mm film scanned at (I believe) 12K, and found little to no difference between them. Digital footage can be upscaled just as well as film, as film -- while not limited by pixels -- loses its clarity and sharpness at high definition scans, since the grain is also enlargened when upscaled.

2K, 4K, 8K; it's all rather unimportant. Most movies are still mastered in 2K (between 1,920 and 2,048 pixels horizontal resolution), and later upscaled to twice that, i.e. 4K (3,840 pixels wide in the UHD format, or 4,096 pixels in DCI 4K), for presentation, regardless of how it was originally captured, be it 2K digital, 6K digital, or 35mm film.

And with AI upscaling getting better and better all the time, any issue with this will be gone in a few years.

As for home releases, dynamic range, clarity, sharpness and color reproduction is, again, a lot more interesting than the amount of pixels. Paradoxically, higher resolutions can render an image less sharp than the other way around, as we're talking a lot more compression if you still want manageable filesizes.

22. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

23. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This is because we are also getting to the limits of where human vision can tell a difference. I read an article that said 8K is the limit, unless the screen is gigantic.

24. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I'd say 4K is the limit without pixel peeping, honestly. After that, it's a matter of compression, not resolution.
    Yedlin goes even further and says that the last important step in pure resolution was from SD to HD.

25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    You forgot yes.