main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Official "List Your Complaints about Rogue One" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by BretHart, Dec 15, 2016.

1. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    [​IMG]

Bor Mullet and TCF-1138 like this.
  2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes!

3. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    This is just a random comment in response to no one, but Darth Vader made more jokes in Empire than Rogue One, and the "choke on your aspirations" line is perfectly fine.

I'm primarily thinking of "Apology accepted, Captain Needa" and "We would be honoured if you would join us". There's also some dark humour in "I find your lack of faith disturbing".

Is the problem that it's a kind of pun?

4. BlueYogurt

BlueYogurt Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2021
    It wasn't his best material.

5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Complaints about Rogue One are immediately obliterated in an invisible black hole.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  6. Moriarte

Moriarte Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    Why wasn't everyone using rapid-fire blasters? It's super effective!

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Rapid-fire blasters appear to be really heavy and clumsy.

8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Also, they're presumably much more expensive, rare, and highly regulated by law.

9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The same reason every soldier doesn’t use a bazooka.

10. Moriarte

Moriarte Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    A rapid-fire blaster would be the equivalent of a full auto rifle like a SCAR; at worst, it would be a SAW. It should be everywhere and not just to make a single character 'cool'.

11. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    So it would be the equivalent to an evil lion, or at worst a horror franchise?
    Weird.

Riv_Shiel, Sarge and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  12. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Cassian Andor is the worst character out of all the characters, and he is supposed to be the main character.

13. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    um, Jyn Erso is the protagonist, obviously

Cassian is a main character, not the main character

Last edited: May 29, 2022
    Bor Mullet and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  14. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    There are more than 1 main characters in most movies.
    Hence they give an Oscar for male lead and female lead.
    He is the male lead, she is the female lead, and they are both protagonists.

Sarge likes this.
  15. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    yes, he is a main character, not the main character that you stated above

Last edited: May 29, 2022
    Bor Mullet, Darth Chiznuk and EHT like this.
  16. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Your still missed the point entirely

17. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    So... what was the point?

EHT, Bor Mullet and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The point was not the point but the point of...my brain has melted.

starfish likes this.
  19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    There’s a difference between a main character and the main character. Jyn is the main character of Rogue One. It’s her story and Cassian plays a supportive role in it.

Darth__Lobot, EHT, Bor Mullet and 2 others like this.
  20. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I didn't watch any of the trailers or any of that stuff before I saw it, and came away confused after what I had heard about Jyn from people here. I think Cassian is the main character and the story is his. Jyn is even less developed than Rey.

21. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Jyn Erso has 36 minutes of screen time, Cassian Andor has 25 minutes.
    The next most minutes of screen time belong to Bodhi Rook with a little less than 12 minutes.

The point, which I am pretty sure anyone not pretending to be a contrarian already figured out since my first post, was that one of the main characters of the movie is the least interesting in the movie, much less interesting than all the people who have less than half of the screen time that he does.

Cannot wait for the next smart*** comment by starfish!

22. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    I made a simple comment correcting what I found to be an inaccurate statement, that’s all

no big deal

[​IMG]

23. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Of all the arguments that aren't worth having in these forums, this is the aren't worth havingest.

24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Finally it all falls into place. So THIS is why the prologue of the film follows a young Jyn Erso. Because Cassian Andor is the main character and the story is his.

Darth__Lobot, EHT and TCF-1138 like this.
  25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I know everyone has seen the movie, but sometimes it helps to take a step back and look at a high level plot summary from an unbiased source. In this case, Wikipedia. I really don't see how this could support the view that Cassian is the main character; rather, it seems clear that Jyn is the main character and Cassian is the most important of the supporting characters.

Research scientist Galen Erso and his family are in hiding on the planet Lah'mu when Imperial weapons developer Orson Krennic arrives to press him into completing the Death Star, a space station-based superweapon capable of destroying entire planets. Galen's wife, Lyra, is killed in the confrontation while their daughter, Jyn, escapes and is rescued by rebel extremist Saw Gerrera.

Fifteen years later, cargo pilot Bodhi Rook defects from the Empire, taking a holographic message recorded by Galen to Gerrera on the desert moon Jedha. Rebel Alliance intelligence officer Cassian Andor learns of Rook's defection and the Death Star from an informant. Jyn is freed from an Imperial labor camp at Wobani and is brought to the Rebel leaders Bail Organa and Mon Mothma, who convince her to find and rescue Galen so the Alliance can learn more about the Death Star. Cassian is covertly ordered to kill Galen rather than extract him.

Jyn, Cassian, and reprogrammed Imperial droid K-2SO travel to Jedha, where the Empire is removing kyber crystals from the holy city to power the Death Star; Gerrera and his partisans are engaged in an armed insurgency against them. With the aid of blind spiritual warrior Chirrut Îmwe and his mercenary friend Baze Malbus, Jyn makes contact with Gerrera, who has been holding Rook captive. Gerrera shows her the message, in which Galen reveals he has secretly built a vulnerability into the Death Star and directs them to retrieve the schematics from an Imperial data bank on the planet Scarif.

On the Death Star, Krennic orders a low-powered test shot which destroys Jedha's capital. Jyn and her group take Rook and flee the moon, but Gerrera remains to die with the city. Grand Moff Tarkin congratulates Krennic before using Rook's defection and security leak as a pretext to take control of the project. Rook leads the group to Galen's Imperial research facility on the planet Eadu, where Cassian chooses not to kill Galen. Jyn makes her presence known moments before Rebel bombers attack the facility. Galen is mortally wounded by the bombers and dies in Jyn's arms, before she escapes with her group on board a stolen Imperial cargo shuttle. Krennic is summoned by Darth Vader to answer for the Death Star's attack on Jedha. Krennic seeks his support for an audience with the Emperor, but Vader instead Force-chokes him and orders him to ensure no further breaches occur.

Jyn proposes a plan to steal the Death Star schematics using the Rebel fleet but fails to gain approval from the Alliance Council, who feel victory against the Empire is now impossible. Frustrated at their inaction, Jyn's group lead a small squad of Rebel volunteers to raid the databank. Arriving at Scarif on the stolen Imperial ship, which Rook dubs "Rogue One", a disguised Jyn and Cassian enter the base with K-2SO while the other Rebels attack the Imperial garrison as a diversion. The Alliance learns of the raid from intercepted Imperial communications and deploys their fleet in support. K-2SO sacrifices himself so Jyn and Cassian can retrieve the data. Îmwe is killed after activating the master switch to allow communication with the Rebel fleet, and Malbus is killed shortly afterward. Rook is killed by a grenade after informing the Rebel fleet that it must deactivate the planetary shield to allow the transmission of the schematics. Rebel Admiral Raddus uses a Hammerhead corvette to destroy two Star Destroyers, and the wreckage crashes atop the shield generator, deactivating the shield. Jyn and Cassian obtain the schematics, but are ambushed by Krennic, who is shot and wounded by Cassian. Jyn transmits the schematics to the Rebel command ship via the base's antenna, completing the transmission moments before the Death Star enters orbit above Scarif; Tarkin uses another low-power shot to destroy the antenna, killing Krennic, but the impact of the blast beyond it causes a tsunami that engulfs the base, killing Cassian, Jyn, and all remaining ground forces.

The Rebel fleet prepares to jump to hyperspace, but Admiral Raddus and many of the fleet's ships are intercepted by Vader's arriving Star Destroyer. Vader boards the Rebel command ship and kills many of the rebel troops in an attempt to regain the schematics, but a starship escapes with them on board. Aboard the fleeing ship, Princess Leia Organa declares that the schematics will provide hope.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
    TCF-1138 and Bor Mullet like this.