main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Official "List Your Complaints about Rogue One" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by BretHart, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    That's pretty impressive that they had that much attention to detail. Honestly that's about 1000x more attention to continuity than we get from most post OT SW movies (hell - the OT movies themselves don't always pay attention to details like that).

Bor Mullet, TCF-1138 and EHT like this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Rogue One rules, this thread drools.

3. Darth Majestic

Darth Majestic Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 18, 2020
    My biggest beef with RO is that it should have been about Wedge with that title. I know it's EU and not Disney, but there was no Corran Horn, Voort, Wedge or Hobbie... where was Tycho. RO should have been about Rogue Squadron. If they wanted to tell the story of the Death Star plans being stolen it should've included I5YQ and Lorn Pavan with Darth Maul chasing them. RO is nothing more than a war movie set in our galaxy far, far away... that being said- it is the best movie that Disney has produced for us

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
  4. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Darth Maul what now?

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    They are literally in the process of writing a Rogue Squadron movie, and Corran Horn was canonized in the recently released Obi-Wan Kenobi.
    Also, Lorn Pavan died the year TPM takes place.

6. Darth Majestic

Darth Majestic Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 18, 2020
    In Disney's canon... yes, I agree. However, I read what happened a long time ago. Disney had all of the EU to use and discarded my childhood lol

7. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Not to worry. Your childhood is not biodegradable and can likely be recovered in a landfill somewhere. Or in the open ocean.

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    What do you mean "in Disney's canon"? Lorn Pavan appeared in exactly one book, and it was in the old EU. And he died in it. It took place 32 years before the theft of the Death Star plans.

"Disney" (Lucasfilm) is using the EU. As I mentioned, they just recanonized Corran Horn. Thrawn has been brought back. Prince Xizor as well.
    It would have been impossible to make new movies and have them fit with the vast expanded universe and still have it be accessible for the general audience, so they decided that the EU would not be canon, but that characters, events, planets, etc. could be used for future stories. No one has discarded the EU, and definitely not your childhood.

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Wait, is my childhood canon? [face_worried]

10. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    No, it's Infinities.

11. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Dammit!

12. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Or perhaps your canon is childish. :)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    EHT likes this.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I demand to be canonized!

14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I was shot out of a cannon as a child.

15. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Who is Corran Horn in Kenobi?! And that sucks bigtime. If he is in Kenobi, it means he is 30 years too early or so.
    So that's not Corran Horn from the EU. But a completely different person with the same name.
    Unless he's a kid in the show? How did I miss that?
    No it wouldn't have been. But we will never know, since DLFL decided to throw everything in the garbage and then go and pick up some tiny pieces.
    Well that explains a lot :p

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    It explains everything.

Master Jedi Fixxxer likes this.
  17. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    He's the kid that Haja helps in Part II. He's on his way to Corellia, his mother's name is Nyche, and he's Force sensitive. It's definitely meant to be him.
    But their names were only revealed in the credits, so easy to miss.

"DLFL".
    George Lucas would have done exactly the same, and you know it. In fact, mostly ignoring the EU, but using bits and bobs from it was exactly what Lucas used to do. That's how we get Coruscant in the movies, but Even Piell dying during the Clone Wars even though he had already died during Order 66 in a book.
    As for making the movies fit with the EU and still be accessible to the audience, I'll drop this link to a video I made on this very subject back in early 2013. ;)

18. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    We can all have different opinions on the subject (and many other subjects) but please let's not pretend that pre-Disney and post-Disney LFL are the same, when the head of the company is not George Lucas anymore. Also, people should really stop getting offended on behalf of a company.
    Hypotheticals don't really matter much to me, I can only speak about what happened, not what would have happened. And I don't think George Lucas would have done exactly the same. In fact, he did not do that for 30 years and he had every chance to officially reset the canon :p

He instead came up with a diplomatic way to respect these stories and the fans that like them, without officially removing them from canon. He just said that their level of canon is lower than the movies and TCW. I don't remember anyone being mad about that. Instead, there are many people who are mad about labeling the entire old EU as Legends and resetting the whole thing. If you don't think there is a reason for that, I don't know what to say. It's easy to dismiss everyone else's opinion if it's not convenient. I will stop with the off topic now.

I am not sure what you want me to say about the video. I don't think anyone says that every single old EU story was good. And I certainly don't believe that either. However, after 2000 or so, there were major efforts from all the authors associated with the major projects of the time to unify and bind all the stories set in the EU together. Anyway, completely off topic, my apologies. I will get back on topic:

Rogue One is a great movie but has not aged as well as other Star Wars movies. 6 years later, I find it more enticing to go watch any of the 6 GL movies again, or random TCW episodes, than to watch Rogue One again. I haven't watched it in 2 years and I don't see myself watching it any time soon. Perhaps in the long run it might not be viewed as impressive as we all thought it was back in 2016. And that's not such a bad thing, but I guess we will see.

PS. Thanks for the info about Corran Horn! That is actually pretty nice, and I wouldn't expect anything less from Deborah Chow. I am happy they kept his mother's name too. Now, if we could see stories with Mirax Terrik, Jysella and Valin Horn in the future..... it would be great. But something tells me it's impossible now sadly.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
    Darth Majestic likes this.
  19. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    It's not purely hypothetical, we have enough to get a pretty good idea what Lucas would have done. I'd say there are three possibilities:
    1. Done exactly what post-Lucas LFL did and announced that the EU would be reset to comply with his new movies.
    2. Made his movies and let publishing decide what to do about the EU, with publishing deciding to reset to line up with the new movies.
    3. Made his movies and let publishing decide what to do about the EU, with publishing removing from canon whatever is in 100% conflict and coming up with ridiculous retcons to try to keep as much as possible.
    Let's not try to pretend that each new Lucas movie didn't run roughshod over existing EU, requiring crazy retcons and decanonizing of things set up in the EU. The reason the canon stayed mostly in tact is that these movies took place in a timeline that had been cordoned off specifically to keep them from telling a story that would just get retold by the movies - and there were still significant conflicts. Diplomatic is a strong term for how Lucas treated the EU. He acknowledged that they were their own thing, and that they aren't his version of the story, but how it all worked was mostly up to others. There is NO WAY he would have worked his story to fit in with the EU.

20. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Sure, maybe he wouldn't have reset the canon, because he never respected the EU as canon to begin with. He'd have just gone ahead and done his thing, leaving others to try and sort out the mess.

What? The video has literally nothing to do with the quality of the EU. I'm a big fan of it. The point is obviously about the quantity of the old EU. There were stories filling in every hour of the Big Three's lives in a thirty+ period post Jedi, and a lot happened in those years. It would have been impossible to fill the auidence in on everything. Hence the ridiculously long opening crawl with the music having to restart.

Darth Caliban and Watcherwithin like this.
  21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    This thread used to be the best!

Sarge likes this.
  22. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Like Rogue One used to be the best?

(Insert Owen Lars face)

Ithorians likes this.
  23. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    We're just trying to find things to talk about because "complaints about Rogue One" is such a limited topic.

24. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I don't know why I haven't banned you from it.
    Oh wait, it's because I'm terrible at modding this one particular thread. [face_laugh]

25. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Lock it up. :p