main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Official "List Your Complaints About TFA" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BretHart, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trooper100471

Trooper100471 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2015
    Surely there are aspects of said backstory that will be explored in the next chapter?

2. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    Sure, im not even doubt that Luke's, Rey's and Kylo's backstories will be told. In the next episode.

deathraygun likes this.
  3. Dobermann

Dobermann Jedi Master star 1

Aug 7, 2001
    Logged in for the first time in years just to say

Luke shows up in the LAST SCENE with NO DIALOGUE????????? We deserve a little more than this.
    For reasons no one appears completely sure of... the galaxy's greatest hero went into hiding for years when the **** hit the fan and he has nothing to say????

Who was Snoke? Literally not a word of his origins. He's evil and Ben likes him. That's it.

It feels like the writers left the audience's most important questions hanging because they couldn't confidently answer them and thought "hey sequel guys this is your problem now!"

Great movie overall but I'm extremely frustrated.

4. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    No backstory
    The backstory that was given
    No Luke
    divorce
    Han death
    Mary Rey

Blue 5, DBPirate, Sith-I-5 and 10 others like this.
  5. Sex_Bob-omb

Sex_Bob-omb Jedi Knight

Sep 29, 2010
    To be fair. When hardly knew anything about palpatine until ROTJ and even then we had to wait until the prequels to see his origins. It would be too much for one film to explain it all.

6. Trooper100471

Oct 20, 2015
    As much as JJ won't be directing VIII and IX, I'm sure there have been discussions with R Johnson and C. Trevorrow about where aspects of the back story and where it's going. There was lot to cover in this film and IMO they have laid a great foundation for the rest of the trilogy.

Green Gogol likes this.
  7. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    Unfortunate, I think J.J. spent too much time on "the island" and doesn't understand while too much exposition is overload, not enough is annoying. I still don't understand the Lost finale, and he likes his mysteries, but he's horrible at explaining things to make sense to anyone else.

ILNP, MagnaZero, ChildOfWinds and 6 others like this.
  8. UberJediPaul

UberJediPaul Jedi Master star 1

Apr 12, 2002
    Where to start so much to dislike.

1: Appalling jumbled mess of a screenplay.
    2: Plot all over the place. Character motivations were laughable/childike.
    3: Weak actors except for OT & Daisy Ridley, Max Von Sydow. Everyone else was not credible or given no material to work with.
    4: Finn was annoying & a bumbling clown more than anything.
    5: Villains were very weak & feeble. Kylo, Snoke & Hux were weak & unconvincing.
    6: Poor John Williams musical themes. Only the OT themes reused briefly were memorable. New villain theme is really bad & low key.
    7: Poor jumpy editing in places.
    8: Cinematography was very basic/mundane.
    9: Makeup FX were very low budget & looked very cheap.
    10: Direction was feeble & bland.
    11: Film felt very empty & lifeless unless it contained any OT characters.
    12: George Lucas franchise aware presence was missing everywhere.
    13: Movie felt forced & designed to please a very young audience only. Nothing much for adults to enjoy.
    14: Visual Effects were basic & unmemorable.
    15: No tension/drama/surprise it all felt so artificial.
    16: Mystery box concept is empty no big surprises level of secrecy was over the top for the limited content onscreen.

What did I like:
    1: Luke Skywalker grand entrance.
    2: Han + Chewie scenes together.
    3: Rey intro & some of her moments.
    4: Captain Phasma was cool & mysterious. Could be the new Boba Fett character if given more screentime.
    5: The running time passed quickly due to pace being so rapid to hide all the numerous basic story issues & overall weakness.

9. Trooper100471

Oct 20, 2015
    Jesus wept....

10. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Here's my complaints they are :

Oh yes I have zero complaints - I loved it & can't wait for part 8 .

11. Darth Yeezus

Darth Yeezus Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 21, 2015
  12. GuardianSoulBlade

May 26, 2015
    The "Practical effects"! backfired for you huh?

13. UberJediPaul

Apr 12, 2002
    Makeup FX where did I mention practical FX?

14. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Didn't think I'd ever miss George Lucas, but god damn you could tell his brilliant imagination wasn't part of this. Every single planet brought nothing new at all, they were exactly like the planets from the originals, except you know, they're *completely* different planets. In the prequels we got Naboo, Coruscant, Utapau, Geonosis, Kamino... Which were all completely different from anything we saw in the originals. Props to Lucas for trying to do something different, even if it didn't work out in the end. Rian Johnson, don't let me down with the same planets again...

15. GuardianSoulBlade

May 26, 2015
    You mentioned visual effects, and all the effects talk was about practical effects, the visual effects they primarily used are practical.

16. deathraygun

deathraygun Jedi Knight star 3

May 8, 2014
    I just realized... This is the first movie without a "Darth". Weird. Not sure how I feel about that.

17. Vemrin

Vemrin Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 24, 2015
    The way the mountain collapsed when rey sneezed that was just dumb

Sith-I-5 and deathraygun like this.
  18. UberJediPaul

Apr 12, 2002
    Most of the visual effects were CG not practical FX you do not understand the simple difference. Practical effects are small things like onset explosions, debris, smoke, etc etc

I did not mention those as they were passable no more no less nothing to say about them. Most of the film was CG just like the prequels only major difference was more practical sets not many greenscreen sets like the prequels used mainly greenscreen virtual sets. Here they used mainly real set pieces with less virtual greenscreen work.

trongate and Trooper100471 like this.
  19. Hilal

Hilal Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 2, 2015
    What does "Mary Sue" even mean

20. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014

I don't even think Kasdan/Abrams know who Snoke is. He's something Disney have put in as an overarching villain and been told to leave for VIII and IX.

Jedi_Lulu and trongate like this.
  21. Trooper100471

Oct 20, 2015
    The use of natural light and location shooting made a huge difference for me compared to the synthetic vistas of the PT

22. Trooper100471

Oct 20, 2015
    I was thinking the same thing

cwustudent and DarthBane93 like this.
  23. Aeneas 1138

Aeneas 1138 Jedi Knight star 1

May 1, 2014
    One wonders where to begin. I shall just copy and paste a litany of complaints I wrote in a PM with GuardianSoulBlade yesterday.

The pacing felt very unlike Star Wars, although it is hard to describe exactly how. More concretely is the fact that a) Han died and b) his death scene was so meek and pathetic. Very little has been explained about what happened in the thirty year gap, and what has happened is all rather depressing. They have recycled the 'build a planet-busting superweapon and then destroy it' plot one too many times; it has become repetitive. C-3PO just looked fake; like he was made out of plastic. I found the villains uninspired and unintimidating. I have no idea who this Snoke guy is, from where he came, nor why I should care. As for the heroes, I am still not sure who Rey is nor why in the Galaxy I should care about what happens to her. Too much is left unexplained by the cliffhanger ending. The lightsabre duel was lacklustre.

24. UberJediPaul

Apr 12, 2002
    I agree 100% that's one of the only things they got right. Shame no proper movie to film in these locations though...

25. DARTHKANISS

DARTHKANISS Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 8, 2004
    For me it was the following;

Where where the original alien beings? Would it have killed them to throw in a twilek or a rodian into Maz's castle scene? Its like a whole new universe has been created with strange new beings. Its turned into a Star Trek spinoff.

The music score wasnt up to scratch. Didnt feel like Star Wars.

Lightsaber effects where dull. I agree Rens saber might sound different but Anakins saber sounded different it didnt have the classic ignition sound.

Is Maz dead? No explanation there.

Luke could of atleast said something. He was in there for about 20 seconds, we waitted a long fricken time to see him again. Now we wait 2 more years bloody hell...

Hans death was overkill and no recognition or mourning what so ever of a great character.

Rey using the force so quickly, I dont buy it.

The resistance felt like a small band of fighters, where are the big ships where are the others? Its like a group of 15 people are now the saviours of the galaxy.

Snoke didnt do it for me, why wasnt he in a cape or something? He looked like the mummy. Could of used a puppet there the cgi was too easy to spot..

I did enjoy the movie but it felt like a detachment from what a Star Wars movie is.

26. Prospecting on Subtyrrell

Prospecting on Subtyrrell Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 18, 2014
    It's a character without flaws, always at the center of attention and who can do anything better than anyone. A male version is a Mary Stu.

Onlooker, Obiwan10, ILNP and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.