main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Official "List Your Complaints About TFA" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BretHart, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    My experience. Don't know if this is similar.
    Man shouted at start:
    "Don't ***k this up abrams"
    Laughter from crowd.

End:
    "That could have been better".

We all sat there in silence looking around for some kind of happiness or explanation from each other. There was nothing.
    We all walked out, bitter, tired amd wondering why we were there at 3 am and if it was actually worth it.

And then I got a taxi and had to pretend it was good. Same thing today.
    Depressing.
    Think nuked earth in Battlestar.

It is kinda growing on me but it doesn't offer much instantly. I think. No real music, no stand out scenes or gravitas.

2. KnightofCydonia

KnightofCydonia Jedi Padawan

Oct 27, 2015
    I agree with every single point people have listed.

My main issue that hasn't been listed is the scene where the Starkiller destroys some planets. We then see this in the sky above Takodana.

A) Were the planets that got destroyed in the same system as Takodana? And if not, then how is it possible that the event was witnessed immediately in a star system that could be any number of light years away? If they aren't in the same system, that's really really lazy science. I know this is fantasy and all, but come on, things like that have to be realistic.
    B) What planets were they? We were given no knowledge of this, except that they were 'destroying the republic'. Are we to believe that was Coruscant we saw destroyed? While I don't believe it was Coruscant, they made no effort to differentiate it from being so.
    C) The Starkiller drains the energy from an ENTIRE STAR in just the length of a tea break. Yeah, right :rolleyes:

Rant over

3. BretHart

BretHart Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 29, 2015
    Snoke was the worst part of the film. CGI harry potter / LOTR looking thing. So much for practical effects. Character was a Palpatine rip off. And it would have worked better if it was just Andy Serkis in a hood.

Luke 20 second non-speaking cameo, just a dumb look on his face.

NOTHING WAS EXPLAINED !!! Who are Knights of the Ren ? Who is Snoke, is he a Sith ? How many Jedi did Luke train ? Why did he leave ? Why does Ben Solo have to wear the mask and call himself Kylo ? What is the state of the Galaxy ? Is Rey Luke's kid ? If so, are they saving it as a surprise bc i dont think anyone will be surprised.

Han death was meaningless. He died a failure. He couldn't save his son. And not to mention PREDICATABLE DEATH, you saw it from a mile away. Also, where were the characters to mourn him ? He was a supposed legend and hero of the Republic / Empire war. It just seemed his character died and no one mentioned anything more. It was odd.

So a SKYWALKER lineage who has been TRAINED by Luke Skywalker and a Sith-ish character takes on a random wimpy Stormtrooper and a Scavenger with Force abilities who isn't trained. And somehow , they are able to hold their own against Kylo Ren ????????????????? That is worse than Jar Jar character. At least the lightsaber battles in the horrible prequels made sense.

Poe Dameron - what a ******* character. Like, seriously... What is he ? An all-american 1950's goodie too-shoes ? And whats up with that Finn bromance thing ? Weird hug at the end... Just odd character and strange.

C-3P0 came off as annoying. And "Oh, you dont recongnize me because of my red arm" - written by a 13 year old. Why does he have a red arm again ? Oh, I can't wait until RedLetterMedia eats this movie up alive !!!!

Finn & Han Solo comedy act didn't work and was too much.

Finn is just like jar jar binks in this film. They try to use his character as comic relief, but it doesn't work. His character is annoying at some parts. Why he wields a lightsaber doesn't make sense. I'm probably nitpicking and the minority, but honestly believe his character did not develop and was overall pointless to the story.

Every element of this film is a complete rip off of the original trilogy with NOTHING new. It's A New Hope rehash with a PC cover to it.

The assault on Death Star 3.0 was forgettable. They literally had a scene where they compare the death star to the starkiller base to show how much "bigger and betterer this threat is".

Captain Phantasm - zzzzzero charisma or character. Had about three scenes, unimportant.

The wink to the camera - "lets throw her in a trash compactor." or the death star wink at the camera...Cringeworthy.

The destruction of the planets was out of nowhere and made little to no sense. If you're going to take over the galaxy, why would you destroy planets, dont you want to rule them and use their resources for your cause ? The Death Star was created to take out the rebel base and to show how powerful the empire is. They didn't plan on destroying every planet because they are evil.

The WHOLE movie leaves so many questions unanswered. Did Kylo live ? Did Phantasm live ? Did Hux live ? Did Maz live ? They don't even show or explain ANYTHING in this movie !!

Rey - I'm glad they explained the biggest question we were all wondering - if she was a Skywalker....Oh wait.....Nope....We got to wait to the last movie, and although all signs point to Luke's daughter, it will disappoint us no doubt in Ep.8 Once again, the movie raised more questions that solved them. And seriously - Rey becomes a Jedi Master in 10 minutes ??? Ummmmmmmm....... Huh ? Did she watch A New Hope too ? Is that how she knew to manipulate Daniel Craig Storm Trooper ?

Could they keep the mission and focus simple and not rush it ? "Ok, we are all together, we need to do this this this and this.....and its dangerous as hell, so good luck". And then here is the thing what i mean by simple - "ok, im going to blow up the starkiller thing....oh and by the way, I think this is a good time to save our son from the dark side. I mean, I'm going to be a little busy with Chewie who has been shot in the arm and this wimpy stormtrooper throw away character, but besides that - I can fit bringing Ben Solo back to the light side in my schedule despite the fact I'm probably not going to make it out alive."

I give this film a D+.

In conclusion, the biggest issues is they don't explain anything & that the whole movie is a rip off of the Original trilogy as a 'safe reboot'. I laughed when someone posted that A New Hope summary and just crossed names out and added TFA names. Like instead of Luke, its Rey. Instead of Vader, Kylo. Instead of Palpatine, Snoke. The movie felt like a rushed script with not a lot of thought or backstory to it.

Creed was levels, and LEVELS above this and THAT is how you do a seventh film in a series, not Force Awakens. Creed was the PERFECT way to do a next generation story. Focus on the next generation, have the original cast a supporting role. Now Stallone is up for a Golden Globe and POSSIBLE Oscar while this film didn't even have Luke talk. Creed & Ex Machina, Mad Max Road Fury remain the best films of the year I've seen.

My thing is this... At least the prequels TRIED. George wrote what he did and it was original. The execution, acting, direction was horrible, but at least it was original. The prequels have an excuse too. They had to match the original trilogy, so they were harder to write. This movie had NO excuse. You could take the story, characters ANYWHERE you wanted. And THIS is the best they could do , are you kidding me ?!?!?!?! After watching this and utterly horrified that I thought THIS WOULD BE THE REDEEMING star wars film to get us away from the jar jar binks era or bad acting from hayden, but nope...This one is almost worse.

The only good thing is now I don't care about waiting for Episode 8. I'm going to get my film fix off of the Marvel films, they actually have their stuff together and are always able to entertain me with charcters I actually care about. I can't say the same for this. I was pretty ticked when I learned Hayden Christensen might return for Episode 8 - but ya know...i really don't care anymore. Let him be in it. The sequel trilogy is completely doomed and there will never be a good Star Wars movie again probably. 1983 was the last. I guess I'll be that old grump guy that sits around and just focuses on the Original Trilogy as the only thing I care about and everything else is a money scheme to sell merchandise or ticket sales.

I literally feel in my heart, I can write a better story for The Force Awakens than the multi millionares with a track record of having made the best films. I've already rewritten the prequel trilogy with very positive feedback. I completed that, showed it to people and since I write as a hobby, thinking of what story outlines I should do next.... Now, I'm suddenly deeply thinking about the urge to rewrite the new Sequel Trilogy since its obvious there will never be a good Star Wars movie again.

4. UberJediPaul

UberJediPaul Jedi Master star 1

Apr 12, 2002
    BretHart

+1 agree with all you have just said shame the movie is so poor & so many are hailing it as otherwise due to the power of hype corrupting weak minds influenced by someone telling them its good so it must be :rolleyes:& or its not the prequels/Lucas is not involved so it MUST be good right.......

TFA does something special to me it actually makes the prequels seem like high quality Star Wars movies now. I bet Lucas is privately seething at how much disrespect Disney have shown Star Wars but I guess he was tired of doing anymore so had to let it go.

5. BretHart

BretHart Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 29, 2015
    If anyone has read my posts in the past, I've been labelled as a Prequel Basher on here. I've made many vocal opinions stating how Lucas screwed up Prequels like no one's business....

After today, that has changed. I actually can enjoy the Prequels now because at least JJ Abrams didn't direct them. I seriously almost prefer to watch a prequel movie over TFA if I had the choice.

The people that are saying TFA is as good as ANY of the originals are either brainwashed by the hype, nostalgia overload, or very very young where they don't understand good movies.

I've seen Phantom Menace three times in theater when I was a kid. Attack of Clones three times. And ROTS three times. I was extremely young. I will not be seeing this one until it hits DVD.

6. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Okay, I have to play Sith Advocate here, nothing personal, just asking: so people with complaints cannot dislike this film?

And since you liked it :), why you are posting in this thread? :confused:

Yes, I know I haven't seen it yet ... so you can force push me back. :D

7. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I'd like to complain about how awesome it is, this film has already cost me a small fortune in cinema tickets and popcorn.

Green Gogol and ElizaD like this.
  8. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    As someone who likes the PT, I'm immensely surprised by this massive 180 from someone who didn't like the PT.

9. Iamnoone

Iamnoone Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 23, 2015
    Dear Lord, just listen to yourself. It's totally fine you thought the film stank but contrary to your belief others opinions are totally valid, you remind me of supporters of political parties who lose elections only to suggested the electorate were brainwashed.

Just admit it, in reality you are totally gutted this is getting rave reviews by critics and general filmgoers. It's burning you up inside, don't give in to hate etc, etc...

10. UberJediPaul

UberJediPaul Jedi Master star 1

Apr 12, 2002
    I'm not totally gutted by anything. Just amazed so many people cannot see the numerous flaws & are hailing it with so much praise when the PT were better on every level yet Lucas was vilified into retirement for doing his own thing :rolleyes:

11. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Here's mine:

I have to wait for 1.5 years to find out what happened.
    That is really annoying and inconsiderate of people like me who have no patience.

That is all.

12. DARTHKANISS

DARTHKANISS Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 8, 2004
    Im actually starting to see this as a ANH reboot now. Thanks Disney. Ive alway loved and supported George Lucas, and enjoyed the prequels very much but I did indeed miss his touch with this one. This is what the ungrateful fans wanted and now you have it so enjoy the reboot.

DBPirate, klooney, Jedi_Lulu and 7 others like this.
  13. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Music... Too forgettable.. I mean cmon... NOt a sungle new theme i have memorized...
    Strakiller base... concept itself and its destruction (it could have at least survived until episode Vii)
    snooke
    Too many loose ends... What happened with Maz?
    Almost zero expakantion about the state of the galaxy..

ILNP and MagnaZero like this.
  14. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    my complaint is the people on this board whose complaints are pretty much insanity. great movie.

Green Gogol likes this.
  15. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    If you guys don't mind, I'll be all the waaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...................over heeerrrrrrrreeee....*grabs popcorn*

thejeditraitor likes this.
  16. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    1) TPM was ANH too.
    2) If you were lucky enough to have experienced Star Wars as the OT unfolded all you had was mystery. Having everything spelled out makes you sound dangerously like a millennial, and that's a terrible thing.

Green Gogol and kubricklynch like this.
  17. syferdiasisalie

syferdiasisalie Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2004
    I've said it once and I will say it again - Proper nouns are only supposed to be fully capitalized in the opening crawls of even-numbered episodes. How did JJ drop the ball on this?

Sauntaero likes this.
  18. sbsfridge

sbsfridge Jedi Padawan

May 1, 2014
    Snoke looked like a ****ing cartoon. Almost scoffed in the theater. He literally looked like he was lifted from Attack of the Clones. So much mystery and hype... such a letdown.

19. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    Now you sound like the PT hating people who said they pretended to like the PT, i don't understand pretending to like a movie, if you didn't like it, you didn't like it.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  20. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Biggest complaint: My OTPs didn't make out. UGH...and they had such golden opportunities to (I'm talking to you scene where Finn and Poe are reunited) ! But its ok...I'll have the fan fic to help me cope.:p

Force22 and cwustudent like this.
  21. Linnie

Linnie Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2015
    Call me cynical, but I feel this film was constructed backwards. Rather than come up with something inspired or creative, they have worked backwards trying to figure out what the audience wants to see, then trying to fulfill that. You know they think the audience is dumb. Anyone in any kind of power believes that humanity is dumb and must have a dumbed down movie. We got the dumb version which, ironically, turned out to be extremely hard to follow in parts because they left out the back story. I can't think of another film like this that just forces you to guess who everyone is. For example Maz, and others. I had to google various names today because all I could tell was she was supposed to be the new Yoda and that was it. Why was she in it, what is so special about her? What does a pirate have to do with it? None of it really made sense. Rather than a story that flows, it seems like they just tried to fill in the blanks with random characters that were similar to past characters. I couldn't feel for any of them. The movie is like a mathematical equation or formula they studied and tried to nail. Like a bad cartoon. There was no love for the star wars universe, nothing really new, nothing wonderful. Snoke, who the hell is he? He just appeared out of nowhere with no introduction. Where was snoke 30 years ago, does he know the force? He looks like bloody voldermort. He isn't scary looking or impressive, just a cartoon bad guy. We don't sense he is bad, we are kind of told we must fear him he is bad. Why would anyone fear that dumb looking creature? Where did Snoke get the funding to build that ridiculous cartoonish weapon? Or does he have a slave army to build it, if so how does he control all those slaves? Being raised as a slave from birth still wouldn't work, they will all wake up like Finn in the end. In fact, why still have stormtroopers, wouldn't they have a different army? I could go on. Rey is too perfect and magical, doesn't ring true or make a lot of sense...and I am trying to make sense of it. I really want to like Rey but the character is not believable, sadly she is a cartoon as well.

22. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    My one biggest complaint is how they showed this huge powerful first order army and the star killer base, and then it basically just took 10 X-Wings and a few explosives to destroy the entire thing with not too much trouble. What the HECK?

23. Kajash

Kajash Jedi Master star 2

May 15, 2002

True, but this is nothing new in the Star Wars universe.

24. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    Only thing that took me out of the experience was Phasma agreeing to power down the shield. I would've expected that she would rather be killed than agree to that.

DBPirate, trongate, Onlooker and 3 others like this.
  25. Kajash

Kajash Jedi Master star 2

May 15, 2002

Phasma was a prop, nothing more, sadly.

trongate, Onlooker and Shadojoker like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.