main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Michael A. Stackpole Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Michael Stackpole is well known for his role in the X-Wing books and comics, and has also written two New Jedi Order paperbacks, the 'Dark Tide' duology. Michael is also well known for his work in the Battletech universe. Michael has also written some novels in an original universe setting, such as 'Fortress Draconis'.

Jedi Council Forums Username: MikeStackpole

Discuss Michael's novels and aspects of his writing in this thread. You never know, Michael might drop by from time to time!

2. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    I, Jedi is my favorite Star Wars novel. I love the first person point of view allowing us to get so intimate into the thoughts of Corran Horn.

3. Bossk_BountyHunter

Bossk_BountyHunter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 3, 2002
    I'll be reading I,Jedi next.My fave from him so far has been The Krytos Trap.

4. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    I, Jedi is a truly great Star Wars novel. One of the best stand alone novels in the EU, IMO. I loved seeing the events of the Jedi Acadamy Trilogy being retold from a different perspective. This could have been really boring, but it was not. It also helped to make Corran Horn one of the most developed characters who hasn't appeared in the movies. Similar novels should be made about other major characters, like Kyp Durron and Mara Jade (before she became too involved with Luke).

I haven't read the X-Wing series, but I've heard only good things.

Mike's contribution to the NJO was very entertaining too. Shedao Shai was great.

5. I-poodoo

May 1, 2001
    I read the X-wing novels once and frankly I didn't like or dislike Corran, but then I read I, Jedi, then reread the X-wing books and it helped grow my love for the character of Corran, funny that isn't it.

6. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    I love Micheal and all of his novels and I like Union too. I really like Corren Horn and everyone I have talked to seem to like the X-Wing novels as well. I have read the first two so far and tend to agree with the people who say they like them. I liked Ruin and Onslaught too and since my library only had one of the two, I bought a second one and donated it so more people could read them.

7. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    I have even conversed with him over E-mail a few timies. I asked him a couple questions about Ruin and asked how he made character names.

8. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    I thought Stackpole stopped answering E-Mail a couple of years ago?

9. cavalier_one

cavalier_one Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2001
    Loved Stackpole's work on the X-wing comic series as well as his novels - he helped to bring minor characters like Wedge to the front of the action, and proved that a novel could be written without one of the main characters starring in it.

Also, we viewed the war from the Rebel's POV in his books, giving us valuable insight into the war itself.

10. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    One word: BRILLIANT!!!!!! (and a whole load of excalmation marks ;) )

11. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    I liked the Rogue comics more than I liked the books, mostly because of the absence of Corran (except for Family Ties). I, Jedi was good too. I wasn't so fond of his NJO books. There hasn't been a Stackpole book that I haven't enjoyed, but I've enjoyed some much more than others.

12. Ceifer

Ceifer Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I, Jedi was one of my favorite SW novels. I should read it for a second time.

13. stevo

stevo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    I think his best SW book was "The Krytos Trap." I'm currently reading one of his books, "Talion: Revanant" and I hope to get started on "Fortress Draconis."

Heh, I also wanted to get started on the "Battletech" series, but its 50 something books long, currently. I would read it, but the library doesn't have any of those books.

In my opinion, Stackpole, along with Troy Denning, writes the action in Star Wars the best. He's great with those ground and starfighter battles.

14. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    I'm a Stackpole fan and I've read all his bantam and harper fantasy books as well as his Star Wars books, but he seems to be unique in that, while most authors get better over time, his writing seems to be decreasing over time. His earlier fantasies and first few X-wing books were FAR better than I, Jedi, DGW, FD, Isard's Revenge, or Dark TIde.

15. stevo

stevo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    I wouldn't say that, his style is just evolving.

16. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    I hope that everyone has read Mike's letter to his fans on his website, and start buying his non-Star Wars and BattleTech novels - start supporting Mike's career!

17. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    I've already got all of them, except for the Shadowrun books :(

18. I-poodoo

May 1, 2001
    I would if I could find more of him. Other than his star Wars books and battletech books there's nothing of him in the library or bookstores around me. I'm thinking of ordering it, perhaps Talion: Revenant, or Fortess Draconis. I've only heard good things about those books.

19. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    You'll want to read The Dark Glory War before Fortress Draconis. But his books, Once a Hero, Talion: Revenant, and Eyes of Silver, if you can find them, are all MUCH better than DGW and FD.

20. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    What is 'Fortress Draconis' about?

21. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
  22. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    It's the first book of his big DragonCrown War Saga (Dark Glory War was the prelude).

23. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    It isn't necessary to have read The Dark Glory War before Fortress Draconis. The two books take place several decades apart, like The Hobbit and LotR. Still, it helps.

24. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    And, there's very little suspense in FD, and even less so if you read DGW first because you'll recognize a lot of "suprises" right away.

25. JadedofMara

JadedofMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    I love Mike Stackpole...but some of his recent works have been dissapointing for me. Like Onslaught and Ruin. However, the X-Wings...and his other fantasy works are just wonderful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.