main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

The Official NaNoWriMo 2007 Thread - important notice on last page

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by moosemousse, Oct 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Hello and welcome to the NaNoWriMo 2007 thread.

The most frequent question what is what NaNoWriMo stand for?

The simple answer is: National Novel Writing Month.

The long answer is: NaNoWriMo is an international event that takes place every year. During the month of November, participants have the challenge of writing a novel. The challenge starts 00:00:01 on November the 1st and ends at 23:59:59 on November the 30th. This year the word is 50,000 words minimum, though entries are allowed to be longer. Not a word can be written before it starts and not a word will count after it ends.

Sign ups started yesterday. I apologise for starting this thread a day late, anyone who has had to move will appreciate how time consuming it can be. Fortunately you have until 23:59:59 on November the 30th to sign up, so there's plenty of time left.

[link=http://www.nanowrimo.org/]The Official NaNoWriMo Website[/link]

So why the thread here?

Firstly, according to last year's thread, we can write fan fiction if we want, so this would be a good place for those who will be writing fan fiction entries.

Secondly, for the writers with fans, a thread like this would be a place to keep fans informed of progress and why they're not updating their normal fics.

Thirdly, this is a forum for writers, while it is mainly for fan fiction writers there are threads for original fiction, and for a lot of us this is home for all things writing.

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/a/b10304/25200142/]Last Year's Thread[/link]

There will also be a new topic every week, if I remember. If not, just poke me in PM and I'll do something about it.

A big thanks to LAJ_FETT for starting a thread over on the NaNoWriMo boards. The thread can be found [link=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/node/1002356]here[/link].

Participants and Word Counts:
    (PM me your NaNoWriMo name or say it in here if it's different to your board name)
    (Same goes for word count)
    Eleventh_Guard (April Hurst) - 100148 (completed :D )
    PadwanKayla (Kaylasmuse) - 87595 (completed :D )
    Independence1776 - 75605 (completed :D )
    LadyLunas - 74855 (completed :D )
    earlybird-obi-wan - 51037(completed :D )
    LAJ_FETT - 50230 (completed :D )
    SithGirl132 - 50046 (completed :D )
    moosemousse (moosemouse) - 50035 (completed :D )
    Mira_Jade - 50033 (completed :D )
    Jinngerbread - 50002 (completed :D )
    Alley_Skywalker - 50000 (completed :D )
    Ultima_1 (Ultima) - 50063 (winner :) )
    Kestrel_Kenobi - 30000 (retired :( )
    correllian_ale - 1000 (retired :( )
    micky-nikki - 42019
    star_writer24 (starauthor38) - 39280
    jaina_clan_solo - 28751
    Alexis_Wingstar - 25271
    Lilith Demodae - 25095
    rebel_cheese - 14082
    Jairen - 11511
    Lea-El - 10113
    JediNemesis - 9575
    Luton_Plunder - 9400
    Ara-gon (Ara-Gon) - 5770
    strwbrystarshine - 5105
    Undernourished_Hutt - 4396
    Ceillean - 2347
    mavjade - 1664
    C1-J2 - 931
    PulsarSkate - 897
    Thrawn1786 - 746
    Commander-DWH - 637
    LilyHobbitJedi - 444
    bek
    Coruscant
    DarthIshtar
    Flowerlady
    Jedi_Kassandra (Kassandra_Girl)
    Kartanym

2. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Indexed NaNoWriMo Novels:

Title: [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=27684306&brd=10476]Thoughts of a Jedi-healer[/link]
    a Star-Wars Story
    Author: Earlybird-obi-wan
    Timeframe: before and after ANH
    Characters: Kaagi Adin, his son Marhin and more OC?s
    Genre: multi-post adventure some mush
    Keywords:
    Summary: Marhin finds a diary of his father and talks about it.

3. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    The First Topic:

I want to do this, should I? Am I mad for wanting to do this? will I be [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sectioning]sectioned[/link] for taking part?

Or you can just talk about the event itself and say whether or not you're taking part. :)

Discussion Topic Number 2:
    How do you plan on finding time to write?
    Will you stick to a schedule of 1,667 words a day, or will you write as much as you can when you can and hope it's enough?

Third Discussion:
    With all sort of new gadgets and ways to communicate, writing anywhere and everywhere is getting easier. For those who can afford them there are ultra-portable laptops, normal laptops and not-so-portable laptops, there are also portable writing machines, PDAs, and smart phones. There's also the stationary option of a desktop computer. Traditional methods can't be forgotten as well, good old writing paper and pens, pencils, quills, and so on. The discussion topic in a concise way: the various merits and disadvantages of various writing methods and which ones you'll personally use during November.

Fourth Discussion:
    Planning: Will you do any planning? Have you started planning? How much planning have you done?

Topic 5a:
    Brain Foods:
    Some foods are supposed to be better than others for your brain and making you think, fish is supposed to be one of the good ones. Not everyone can eat fish though, vegetarians and vegans for example, so other foods have to be found. What foods help you write? What do you most often when writing?

Topic 5b:
    Character Profiles:
    I'm guessing that most people have introduced all their major characters by now. How many characters do you have? What are their names? If you want to give brief bios for your characters, feel free to do so.

Topic 6a:
    Music
    What music do you listen to most while you write? Do you have any music that you always listen to when you write, or can you only write while listening to certain music?

Topic 6b:
    Keeping it going
    We're nearly at the halfway point and at the end of Tuesday the 13th we're supposed to have a word count of 21,671 if we're going for 50,000 words exactly in 30 days. Two people have already exceeded 50,000 words, and the rest of us? What word count are you aiming for? Are you making enough progress with your novel to make your target? Are you keeping a good pace or are you starting to struggle with it, forcing yourself to write on when you don't really want to?

4. star_writer24

star_writer24 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 15, 2006
    My sister encouraged me to take part, so I will be emailing her my entries each day for her to read. It will be original fiction she said she didn't want to read any of that "starwars stuff" LOL...:p

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Lucasfilm Ltd Mod star 10 Staff Member Administrator

May 25, 2002
    I'm in. The site is very slow at the moment though. The sign-in is a bit different if you already have an account. Prior to this you could either use your email address or username. They've changed the software this year so it has to be username. (It took me a minute to remember the format of mine!)

The forum pages are very slow as well. If you get a login box with a reference to a mirror server, just click cancel. That worked for me - it allowed me to login on the site itself.

If they put a couple of icons on the site again (or if someone wants to make a couple) let me know and I'll see about getting them loaded for November.

Edit - the site just gave me a 'website not responding'. At least I had signed up though!

6. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007
    All right! It's almost time for NaNo :D I'm in this year and I'm going to do better than last year. I'm already doing well on a pre-NaNo challenge :D

Last year was a bad year for me to try it cause I got a new job the middle of the month, that virtually sucked all of my creativity away. This year promises to be better :)

7. LadyLunas

LadyLunas Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 31, 2005
    This is my fourth year doing NaNoWriMo, and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm writing original fiction, a dark urban fantasy.

As to the site problems- not only did the admin switch to a new server and revamp the forums, there are over a thousand people poking around on it at any given moment. The site just came back up within the last day, and they're still working out the problems. It's not unusual to see it shut down for a bit if things get too overloaded. It should clear up within the week.

To the topic- no, you won't be sectioned. But your family and friends might want you to be after the writing begins. :D

8. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    I'll probably try again this year. Wasn't very successful last year but that doesn't mean I can't do better.

9. mavjade

mavjade It's so FLUFFY! Fanfic Manager star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm definitely gonna try this for the first time this year.

I just hope school doesn't get in the way to much!
    I think I'm gonna try my hand at non-fiction. 8-}

10. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    I made an abortive attempt last year- my wrists kind of exploded, and that's never pretty. Plus, that whole senior year of college thing... yeah. Well, since nobody has tried to hire me yet, I find myself with an overabundance of spare time and an original universe I started to develop for a Japanese Literature writing project. So here I come, armed and ready to face this year's NaNo with post-apocalyptic Japanese space pirates. :D

11. Jetta

Jetta Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2001
    I wish I could do it. Maybe next year when my school schedule isn't so nuts. Good luck to y'all who are going for it.

12. jaina_clan_solo

jaina_clan_solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    I am definately doing this again this year :D I had a lot of fun with it last year (my first year) and hope to do as well again this time

Now I just have to figure out what I'm going to write [face_worried]

Good luck to everyone else who decides to join the insanity!

13. Independence1776

Independence1776 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2006
    Um, just a couple things. One: signups end on November 30th, not October 31. (To quote the official site: When is the cut-off date for sign-ups?
    11:59:59 pm GMT, November 30, 2007 (hope springs eternal).) And mavjade, it's for fiction, not non-fiction.

That said, I'm a fourth year Nanoer going for my fourth win. As usual, I'm writing original fiction, this year dealing with psychics. :D

14. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    I took part about three years ago now, but the last two NaNo's I've been absent. So I'm going to make up for it big time :p I've got an idea, and I can't wait to write it.

15. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    :oops:

Thanks for pointing that out. [face_blush]

16. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master star 9

Mar 26, 2001
    I accomplished it in 2005, lost my train of thought in 2006 and will be triumphing in 2007 at all costs.

17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrely Community Mod star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Seeing this makes me think how very quickly a year's gone by.

Doubt I'll be doing this, but I'll be on on those that attempt it! :D [face_dancing]

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Lucasfilm Ltd Mod star 10 Staff Member Administrator

May 25, 2002
    The NaNo website is flying speedwise this morning so I created a thread for us in the Groups section. You can find it [link=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/node/1002356]here[/link].

19. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    And mavjade, it's for fiction, not non-fiction.
    Yeah, I know... I didn't mean non-fiction in the traditional since, and it occurred to me I should have clarified that.
    Its gonna to be based around non-fiction, but still be completely fiction. Actually I have no idea how to explain it. 8-}

20. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    You mean you're going to write a fictionalized account of real-world events.

21. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    You mean you're going to write a fictionalized account of real-world events.
    Thank you Han! Yes, that is exactly what I was going for!! :D [:D]

22. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master star 9

Mar 26, 2001
    That sounds interesting. What's the event?

I've been planning mine since January and workshopped the first chapter at my university's symposium with Brandon Sanderson, the author of Elantris.

23. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Oh, nothing that exciting Ish! Just some crazy things that have happened in my life, then fictionalizing them to make them more fun! :p Though there will be a big element of truth.

I already have my title too! (I hope you are allowed to have a title... I couldn't find anything about it in the rules.)

"Scraping the Bottom of the Gene Puddel"

(Yes, I know puddle is spelled incorrectly, that's the point.)

24. Eleventh_Guard

Eleventh_Guard Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2005
    I'm in this year (like the last three). I won in '04 and '06, but '05 was a bust. Hopefully '07 will be another win year, but I don't feel quite as confident as I did last year and my plot idea isn't as crystallized, so it's hard to be sure. It's slowly been coming together over the last month, though.

I'm writing original fiction unless the plan radically changes. And I guess if all else fails and I need wordcount, I can nudge my fictional planet into the Unknown Regions and have one or both of the Solo boys show up. That's actually how the idea formed in the first place before I evicted them from the plot.

I HAS MAIN CHARACTERS! And a few supporting characters, but not enough.

I'm April Hurst on the NaNo forums.

25. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I'm gonna sign up this year, and I'm comfortable in the liklihood of failing. But not guts no glory!

I'll just use a fic I've been rolling around in my head, just need a little more of the leg work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.