main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official NaNoWriMo 2007 Thread - important notice on last page

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by moosemousse, Oct 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strwbrystarshine

strwbrystarshine Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 26, 2005
    5105. Thought this would be a good motivator. But 50,000 in four days? ...If only I'd seen this sooner...

2. PadwanKayla

PadwanKayla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2005
    Congrats sithgirl!

I finally put mine in for the official count (still not really done but...) and the official count is 78499 which is more than my Word shows by about 100. Strange! Now I have the blue bar too! *doing a little dance*

Five more days everyone. You can do it!!! Good luck to all those heading for the finish!

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I made it to 49,377 today - just short! I'd have gone on but I just hit a stopping point. I need to think about how to wrap things up. So I will at least hit the 50k tomorrow, even if the story isn't done.

4. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    This might possibly be the last topic for the NaNoWriMo thread as next week it will all be over. In fact, it will all be over on midnight Friday/Saturday. That's not a lot of time.

Topic part A:
    Finishing the fight

A few people have already finished their novels already but most haven't. For those of you who have finished, how hard did you find it to finish it and put the final words down? Was it longer or shorter than you had hoped? For those of you who are still going, how hard are you finding it to get to the end? Will you finish it by the end of November 30th? If you won't, how do you feel about this?

Topic part B:
    Now what?

Come the end of November we'll have just spent an entire month writing a novel. Speaking for myself I found the whole process time consuming exhausting towards the end. Having my birthday to celebrate and Uni coursework to do didn't help. Now that it's over I'm finding myself asking 'what now?'. How does everyone plan on spending the time they'll now have spare now that NaNoWriMo is over? What will you do now that you're not slaving away over a hot keyboard any more?

And quite randomly, how do you say 'NaNoWriMo'? I've always said 'Nah No Ree Mo' (Ree as in 'free') but the WriMo radio people say it as 'wry' (as in 'dry').

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Since the 'Wri' stands for writing, I'm in the 'wry' category.

As far as finishing, I will hit the 50k tomorrow unless something happens that I'm not expecting. However I have dangling plot lines from the beginning that won't be wrapped up. I'll settle for ending the current part.

As far as time goes, I have built up a pile of magazines during the month and I plan on catching up on those as well as my reading pile. And the cat will be happy since I will be paying more attention to her than to the novel. (It's hard to type with a cat sitting on your lap where you want to put the wireless keyboard).

6. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006

Topic A
    My novel is finished but now I am editting it and it gets even longer. On NaNoWriMo (awful to say in Dutch) it is longer because it has my main character reading a book about physics. He will muse about that later in the story.

Topic B
    I had 2 weeks of holiday to write but a lot of interuptions from RL, firefighting, interfered with it. Some of that got included in the novel of course. Now that NaNoWriMo is over back to work again and my other fics.

7. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Part A: It was actually rather hard to finish. I was at 45,000 words, in the middle of a critical fight, and not knowing how to end it. But finally, my muse kicked in and gave me some ideas, and actually it ended rather well, finishing off the frame narrative. It was about the length that I had hoped- going over 50k was not something I had thought feasible. 50,046 seemed livable.

Part B: Wow, I get my life back? What is this thing called life? Well, I need to write my paper for Gothic Lit, since it's due on Friday and I haven't started it yet. And I need to update some of my other fics, and I still have a mutant plot bunny or two drifting around. But honestly right now keeping up with my coursework is first and foremost in my mind. And maybe also getting my Christmas shopping done...

8. LadyLunas

LadyLunas Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 31, 2005
    Haven't been here for a bit (Thanksgiving holiday), but I did write something every day. I'm not yet finished with the novel, yet I did submit it for official verification. I have the purple bar [face_dancing] and I fully intend on finishing the novel before Friday.

Current word count: 63,383.

Topic A
    I'm currently still writing it. I didn't have a word count goal except for the 50k, and let the story decide how long it's going to be. 'Tis the way I work. I'm hoping to be finished by Friday.

Topic B
    After it's over? Concentrate on my classwork! I have a paper due on Monday, and an exam the week after that. Grad school is time-consuming, and I've kinda let it all the reading I have to do fall by the wayside to write this month.

In regards to my writing, I have a fanfic 'verse in another fandom that needs editing, so I'll be working on that. For my original fiction, I'm working on the fifth draft of a novel (formerly NaNoNovels itself), so that's my next major project. I'll probably start to look at this one in a few months time, so I have some time to distance myself from it.

9. Eleventh_Guard

Eleventh_Guard Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2005
    Topic part A:

Finishing was fairly easy, if we're referring to writing out the last few sentences. The actual finishing of the last couple of chapters was difficult because I cranked out the last 17K in a writing frenzy that took me from midday Tuesday to midday Wednesday (with sleep and breakfast somewhere in the middle). But I couldn't bear to be so close to the end without being done, especially since Thursday was Thanksgiving, and I had to work, so I knew I wasn't going to get anything done that day. Total length was just about where I wanted it; I could have bumped it up a little if necessary (technically, I didn't finish the novel because one chapter in the middle was truncated early as it was taking me too long to write; I figured I could go back to it if I needed the wordcount, or skip it and smooth that part over otherwise.)

Topic part B:

I'm editing my novel to remove obvious mistakes and terrible phrasing and posting the "second draft" on my secondary LiveJournal. (PM me if you want a link; some chapters aren't work-safe). Beyond that, when I'm done, I have some hazy plans to write another novel, but I'm planning on really finishing this one and getting it more polished before moving on to another project.

Na-No-REE-Mo. Even though that doesn't really fit with the first part of "writing."

10. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    And of course, I got sick the last week - seven valuable days of writing. I played catch up last night though and am at 41,521.[face_dancing]

I'm only at chapter ten to, it looks like this thing is going to be close to 200K when I finally finish is. *faints*

Congrats to those who are done! To those who aren't, I'm with you to.:p

~MJ@};-

11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I managed to get over 50k but my ending is really crappy. My car died this morning and I ended upp having to walk into town to get some of the supermarket stuff I was going to get. So I got home around mid-afternoon and I was pretty tired at that point. I managed to get over 50k so I have my winner's bar and certificate. :D

Oh well - there's always the edit stage..

12. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    =D= Congrats to all those who've made it to 50,000!

and to those still writing...you can do it! :D

13. Independence1776

Independence1776 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2006
    Congrats to all those who have purple (and green) bars! For those still writing, you can do it!

Topic part A: A few people have already finished their novels already but most haven't. For those of you who have finished, how hard did you find it to finish it and put the final words down? Was it longer or shorter than you had hoped? For those of you who are still going, how hard are you finding it to get to the end? Will you finish it by the end of November 30th? If you won't, how do you feel about this?

The last chapter was by far the easiest to write. I had a lot of fun with it. The epilogue, on the other hand, was harder, because I didn't have a specific ending scene in mind. I actually estimated correctly- I had set a goal of 75k and finished with a few hundred words over it.

Topic part B: Now what? Come the end of November we'll have just spent an entire month writing a novel. Now that it's over I'm finding myself asking 'what now?'. How does everyone plan on spending the time they'll now have spare now that NaNoWriMo is over? What will you do now that you're not slaving away over a hot keyboard any more?

Right now, I have to unpack. Given the fact that I don't have a job, and won't until the new year, I'm going to work on something else, specifically the first idea I had for Nano this year. It's more research intensive, and I know just enough about the main subject I need to research to know that I don't know enough.

And quite randomly, how do you say 'NaNoWriMo'? I've always said 'Nah No Ree Mo' (Ree as in 'free') but the WriMo radio people say it as 'wry' (as in 'dry'). Wry. I've always said it that way. One, that's the way it's spelled "phonetically" and two, it stands for writing.

14. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    A few people have already finished their novels already but most haven't. For those of you who have finished, how hard did you find it to finish it and put the final words down? Was it longer or shorter than you had hoped? For those of you who are still going, how hard are you finding it to get to the end? Will you finish it by the end of November 30th? If you won't, how do you feel about this?

I finished it a few days ago, I think the last 5,000 words were the hardest. By that point I had made up as many extra plot points I could think of. I was trying to drag it out as long as I possibly could and it was only just enough.

Come the end of November we'll have just spent an entire month writing a novel. Speaking for myself I found the whole process time consuming exhausting towards the end. Having my birthday to celebrate and Uni coursework to do didn't help. Now that it's over I'm finding myself asking 'what now?'. How does everyone plan on spending the time they'll now have spare now that NaNoWriMo is over? What will you do now that you're not slaving away over a hot keyboard any more?

Y'know, I still don't know what I'm going to do. I have a huge stack of books that need reading, so I'll probably read some, maybe play some games I've not yet finished. I have a sequel to a current fanfic to write as well. I'm just glad that after tomorrow I won't have anything that needs to be done immediately, I have some coursework but it can wait.

15. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    Well, I won't have that problem with running out of plot points. I have placeholders all over the place (most of which say {Add more scenes here}). I decided at this point, I need to jump around to any scenes I have ideas for to make sure I get enough words.

16. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    Major grats to all whole who have or will make it by the end.

There's no way I'm going to make it, but I hadn't really expected to. Between my job, helping with the twins, entertaining my sister's oldest boy, and all the bru-ha-ha for Thanksgiving, I just can't devote the time this needs to really do it right.

17. Ultima_1

May 16, 2001
    Yesterday was fairly unproductive, but today was good. Up to 46004.

I'm just writing whatever scenes come to mind at this point, so placeholders are taking the place of big chunks of story so I can work on scenes in the climax. I just destroyed the Chicago by having it ram a huge defensive station after almost being destroyed shielding a damaged carrier.

The ramming was something I'd been thinking of for a while, but the setup for it was something I just thought up.

18. LadyLunas

Aug 31, 2005
    Well, my story took a bit of a turn yesterday that I totally forgot to mention here. I have two main villains, one male, one female. So I did a POV section with my female villain . . . and she is no longer a villain. She's an antagonist working at psuedo-crosspurposes with my MC. But my male villain has now been promoted to the major villain of the story. It works out much better this way.

Current word count: 68,770.

19. PadwanKayla

PadwanKayla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2005

Topic part A:
    Finishing the fight

I'm still not finished at 82k. Argh! It is turning out to be much longer than I expected (or even dreamed) but I'm really happy with the progress. I actually had wrapped it up on the weekend but I hated my ending so I scrapped half of the Saturday's writing and took it in a different direction. I'm not sure if the story will be over by Friday but I'm aiming for that.

Topic part B:
    Now what?

I'm thinking that Christmas shopping is in order. I have to mail most of my presents so it will be a mad dash to get that done next week. Then, I'll likely start editing. But I do think I need to distance myself from the book for a while.

Oh and big congrats to everyone, those who have finished and those who are still on their way to the finish line! My friend just finished hers today and my sister at 36,000 words is still intending to.

20. LadyLunas

Aug 31, 2005
    I can't believe November's almost over. It's been one crazy month. And it's not finished yet! Here's to the final push for words!

Current word count: 72,537.

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    One more day to go! Good luck for those doing final word pushes!

22. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    There's not a lot of time left. Best of British to everyone who hasn't finished yet.*

*that means 'good luck' :)

23. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    I finished![face_dancing]

50,033 is the final word count for tonight, even though the story is far from over. :D

Good luck to everyone else who isn't finished.

~MJ@};- [:D]

24. LadyLunas

Aug 31, 2005
    I did it! I finished my novel! :D After worrying about not being able to, I managed to sit down and write it. Now I can go eat that bar of Swiss milk chocolate that I've been saving for this moment.

Final word count: 74,855. [face_dancing]

Good luck to those still writing! [face_good_luck]

25. Ultima_1

May 16, 2001
    Had to fight through writer's block, but I got up to 49108 according to Word (which means at least 49115 according to NaNoWriMo), so I should be able to finish tomorrow fairly easily.

Novel's nowhere near done, but I'd say that the framework of major events is pretty much established.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.