main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

****The Official NEW ESSENTIAL GUIDE TO CHARACTERS by Dan Wallace Thread****

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Anakin1607, Apr 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anakin1607

Anakin1607 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    Sturm : Updated with Gandolf's information and picture courtesy of wampa. This is the new Essential Guide to Characters thread.

Sturm : Changed title to better reflect the book's release. Formerly was "New Essential Guide to chacters will rule! (countdown thread)".

[image=http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/covers/0-345-44900-2.gif]

Gandolf here, showing the flag. Feel free to discuss the EGtC, but no EP2 spoilers will be allowed in this thread at this time. You can discuss everything related to the new EGtC, except when they?re AOTC related. No discussing AOTC spoiler material in this thread. If you want to discuss the EU and EP2 spoilers, go to Episode II and the Expanded Universe (WARNING ? THAT LINK IS TO A SPOILERS FORUM ? FOLLOW IT AT YOUR OWN RISK).

Failure to comply will result in editing of the offending post, and possibly banning as well. Just to reiterate, no AOTC spoilers will be allowed in this thread.

I just saw the preview for this book in the latest insider and it's going to rock! The artist doing the pictures for the characters is one of the best I've ever seen! All of the movie characters shown look like they could be copied from photographs and the EU characters are just as wonderful. The one of Nom Anor gave me chills, It was superb. Xizor looked fine, and speaking of fine, Mara Jade was looking "mighty" fine. ;) The entries on Wes and Poggle were an awesome preview of the quality that's going into these books (Wes could be in future NJO books!). Who ever made this art has my enternal thanks. It's some of the best Star Wars art I've ever seen.

This is going to be great, I can hardly wait to see what Anakin Solo, Tsavong Lah and others are going to look like, not to mention the information. Dammit! I'm going to go crazy waiting for the New Essential Guide to Vessels and Vehicles. :D

2. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    How long to the NEGC?

3. LoveisSuicideSP

LoveisSuicideSP Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    Anyone know the exact release date? I can't wait for this, either.

4. Anakin1607

Feb 7, 2002
    Hang on I'll check TFN.

5. very-superior

very-superior Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Yes. Mesa wants it to make a nice skins for Jedi Outcast.

Oh god I can't wait until I get some good Vong models to hack up.

6. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    I agree, i liked how Poggle the Lessers entry was done because it tells about him without prematurely spoiling AOTC,i only hope that what happens in the movie will be added in his small bio, but the best characters will be Palpatine,Dooku,and Jango Fett, i hope that Quinlan Vos and Kyle Katarn are in this new guide.

7. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    23 of this month I think, same days as AotC novelization.

8. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    This book is coming out April 23 along with all the AOTC merchandise.

I am also VERY pumped for this book! The color illustrations look amazing, and reading the flow of the text will keep me reading it many times over. Bring on this baby!!

9. Anakin1607

Feb 7, 2002
    You guys are too fast for my 56k modem to handle. :D

10. royalguard96

Aug 13, 2001
    I kinda like that we don't know which characters will be included in this book. And how will the strictly EU characters be represented in color photos. I'm sure all of us have our own visions of what Anakin Solo or Tahiri look like, now we'll have something tangible to go with all the wonderful words written about them. Man, you guys have me EXCITED about this book!!!!

:D

11. LoveisSuicideSP

LoveisSuicideSP Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    Are there any sample pictures online or anything?

12. Anakin1607

Feb 7, 2002
    The picture of Mara Jade is fantastic. I did a double take when I first saw her.

"Dum de dum, wow, Anakin and Nom Anor look great! But who's that really hot red hed?" :D

The only reason I figured out who it was was because she's wearing the same outfit she has been seen in for the past ten years.

13. Anakin1607

Feb 7, 2002
    Oh, there's a preview on TOS for some Attack of the Clones characters.

14. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Any new pics of Kyp Durron? The one in the last guide to characters kind of looked bad compared to how he looked in Leviathan. I certainly hope that whoever draws him sees him as roguishly handsome! ;)

Jae Angel

15. DarthSeti5

DarthSeti5 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 6, 2001
    [rant]I've been waiting for a new Vehicles and Vessels Guide for like... five years. I NEED a new guide. My copy is literally falling apart. You can't even tell that it used to be dull-orange. It's puke yellow and the cover is peeling off of the book. Give me a new one! :mad: [/rant]

:p

16. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    When I first heard about a new EGTC, I flipped out. I own all the Essential Guides, and I think we all knew that the characters needed an update, a lot has happened over the the past few years. Lots of new characters and lots of more action for our old favorites. I can't wait to see some of the new illustrations.

By the way, my Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels is falling apart too.

17. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    I am almost anticipating this book as much as AotC. It will probably be the first Essential Guide I'll have bought on the day of its release.

18. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2001
    Is there a website for any of the previews? Scans?

19. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Use the search feature at StarWars.com, and you'll find a couple stories about it.

20. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    Question: How much is it going to be?

April 23 marks the release of a lot of cool stuff. I'm going to have to keep careful track of how much I spend. :)

21. Art_Core

Art_Core Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 18, 2000
    I believe it is going to cost $24.95.

I'm definitely buying this the day it comes out...

22. magneto

magneto Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    Do you think vergere will be in it?

23. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    Thanks for the friendly advance buzz on the New Essential Guide to Characters. Just wanted to pop in and say that I'll be hanging around after the book's release and will be happy to answer any and all questions posed by Lit forum members. (Until then, however, I still have to be circumspect about revealing any info...)

Also, I'll be at the SW Celebration in Indianapolis May 3-5, and would love the chance to meet some of you in person. And I'll definitely be answering questions there too.

Best,
    Dan

24. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Awesome. Looking forward to the hoopla.

25. royalguard96

Aug 13, 2001
    Great of you to join us in here, Dan. I am very much looking forward to your book, it will be a very welcome addition to my SW book library :)

By any chance would you be signing autographs at the Indy Celebration? If the Insider preview was any indication, looks like you have compiled a real gem!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.