main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

****The Official NEW ESSENTIAL GUIDE TO CHARACTERS by Dan Wallace Thread****

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Anakin1607, Apr 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "Whew, I don't know where to begin. The data record in Dark Force Rising contains errors (e.g. C'baoth's age as 112), and I admire you for putting together a Jorus C'baoth chronology. But right now you definitely know more about it than me and I don't feel I can comment in a helpful way."

It wasn't that he was 112, but that the computer data was off was off by 30 years, on every event.

112 PE = 82 bby, for instance.

But I hope that my timeline can help you out if if you ever sit down to write about c'baoth in the future.

2. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Thanks a bunch, Mr. Wallace. :)

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    - In Rendar's entry, you said he delivered food to echo base, but in SOTE (the game) opening video, it is said that Dash was going to deliver assault blasters... So... Well, which is correct

The difference here is in the game itself. In the PC version, it's blasters, whereas in the N64 version it's food. Or the other way around. I can't really remember which. The cutscenes, IIRC, were not FMVs in the N64 version, so when they were doing the PC version there were some changes between the cutscenes.

4. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Ya, the interaction between han and dash isn't in the PC version sadly. That is unique cutscene to the n64 version.

5. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Dan, thanks a lot for your answers.

- I'm glad too they settled for a *final* Bothan look, but it's that it's not the one I'd have prefered. But anyway, my opinion does not count, I guess. ;)

- "Leaving the door open for possible future exploration of Xizor"... [crosses fingers hoping it'll happen] :D

- About Vorru : yes, I've checked WG, and indeed it looks more like he's a rival to Black Sun. I probably got confused from the fact he becomes the head of Black Sun later in the series.

- As for Xizor's rise to head of Black Sun, the only thing that bothers me is about him erasing his links to the Falleen 'incident', that is if he could have done it without being head at the time. I hope this gets expanded upon in the future.

- About Jar Jar : I missed the (obvious) reference, but I laughed nevertheless. But now this is even funnier, LOL ! :D

- You're absolutely correct about the Ssi-Ruuk. My memory isn't anymore what it used to be... ;)

- Well, as Val said, Dash could have been delivering both food and assault blasters, so it's not really a problem. And indeed it's too bad the PC version cutscene doesn't include the conversation with Han...

That's all I had to add/comment ! Thanks again. :)

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Dan, perhaps you can help out with my Battle of Geonosis- Jedi Survivors project...

With the info given to you for the NEGTC, can you confirm or deny the deaths of any Jedi (besides the obvious survival of Anakin, OBi-Wan, Yoda, Mace and Ki-Adi [which i believe was mentioned in NEGTC]).

For example, Barris is seen at the beginning of the Arena sequence igniting her saber, but is not seen at any point later on, nor was she a member of the surviving circle of jedi.

Do any of the members of the survivor-circle die either during their extraction from the arena or during their participation in the ground war afterwards? Or do all of those circle-survivors survive?

Plo Koon is mentioned (wounded) in an earlier version of the script (along with Ki-Adi) in the council room w/Mace, Obi and Yoda in the last scene of AOTC also- so even though he does not appear in the film's scene, is his survival implied then?

From there, just the other named ones we're curious about- Aayla (probable, but just checking), Shaak Ti, Eeth, Kit, Alta Ranga, Saesee, Luminara, Bultar, Stass.

Oh, and can you identify if any such character as Sarr Labooda exists? The name was mistaken with Coleman, but it's possible it was another Jedi I suppose.

And, finally, are there official names for the Weequay Jedi, Klatooian/"Barada" Jedi, unknown black Jedi and unknown jedi near anakin?

For reference...

[image=http://www.denimfilms.com/shared/Jedi-Circle.jpg]

Any help would be most welcomed::)

7. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    Dan, if you haven't seen the topic The2ndQuest is referring to - The Battle of Geonosis The Survivors - you should give it a look - that group has gone to town on their research! And I'm pretty impressed with the graphics The2ndQuest just put up - I don't remember which Council Member originally put that up (was it you The2ndQuest) - but whoever is responsible, bravo to you!!!

Wow!

Sincerely,

Ana V

(Aside comment/concern: Strangely to some, because the environment is probably NOT quite the same now, but I went to college in a time when political correctness was going to town no tomorrow style (some would say to an annoying extreme) on colleges and government bodies nationwide. Now, I'm a big Kevin Smith fan, but given the way everyone seems to be throwing the word "Nubian" around, whether in jest, homage to KS, or what not . . . and given the lack of offense taken at "how" and "why" that term is "being thrown around," it gave me the distinct impression that that topic probably does NOT have any African or Middle-Eastern descended SW fans participating in the discussion. How sad. How sad that SW fans have taken to referring to "black people" in jest by collectively calling them "Nubians" without any further thought to the matter other than because Kevin Smith used that word choice, then it must be OK. Look it up, are "all black people" decended from "Nubia?")

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>I'm pretty impressed with the graphics The2ndQuest just put up - I don't remember which Council Member originally put that up (was it you The2ndQuest) - but whoever is responsible, bravo to you!!!<<

Yeah, that was my graphic, thanks!::)

Re: "Nubian Guy"- it's not meant to be any kind of racial thing- Nubian is a star wars term first of all (at least for ships) and someone (I think it was Bib) early on in my thread or another had referred to him as the "Nubian Guy", which apparently was a Kevin Smith reference something along the lines of -

"What's a Nubian?"
    "Shut the F- up!"

I kept the term for discussion continuity concerns and it just kinda stuck. No insult is meant::)

9. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    It's the same as how I call two of the Jedi "Yaaah Girl" and "Two Sabre Dude" :)

10. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Yep, I'm the one that first coined the term "Nubian Guy" when referring to the unknown Jedi brotha.

11. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    From one of Dan's earlier posts:

The Jedikiller wrote:
    I have a question for you Dan. I have seen where some of our fellow posters have been trying to complie a list of Jedi that fought in the battle of Geonosis. Do you have any solid info of who was there and not there? Are there any plans to name many of the Jedi that fought in the battle that as of now have no info on them yet? Thanks.

I'm not too useful on that front, since the only Jedi I could name would be the obvious ones (most of the Council) and the ones named in sources like the AOTC Scrapbook (Kit Fisto, Bultar Swan, etc.)

Lucasfilm probably has official info on who (among the named Jedi) died and who survived, but I haven't been working on anything that would require me to tap into that info.

12. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    Hi guys,

PrinceXizor wrote:
    - As for Xizor's rise to head of Black Sun, the only thing that bothers me is about him erasing his links to the Falleen 'incident', that is if he could have done it without being head at the time. I hope this gets expanded upon in the future.

Now, I'm pretty sure that Xizor became head of Black Sun at the same time as the "Falleen incident." There's a quote in SOTE something to the effect that the reason Xizor himself wasn't killed during the Falleen incident was because he was offworld "cementing his control of Black Sun" at the time. This could mean several different things but I prefer to think of it as the time when he became the Big Cheese, and this time can be pinpointed to about 6 years BBY based on SOTE in-book references describing the Falleen incident.

Quest wrote:
    With the info given to you for the NEGTC, can you confirm or deny the deaths of any Jedi (besides the obvious survival of Anakin, OBi-Wan, Yoda, Mace and Ki-Adi [which i believe was mentioned in NEGTC]).

I love the work you've done so far, but I can't be of any real help to you here. If I'd had more detailed info on the final battle I would have included it under my "Jedi Council Members" and "Jedi from the Battle of Geonosis" entries. However, the climactic battle was one of the last things to be finalized in Episode II (I believe ILM was tweaking it up until the last minute) and if you look hard enough you can see the fingerprints of that throughout the Episode II Expanded Universe products (e.g. Salvatore's novelization skips most of the ground battle, Episode II Cross Sections doesn't cover any of the big Confederacy vehicles, etc.)

Dan

13. Attack_Of_Da_Gnomes

Attack_Of_Da_Gnomes Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2002
    I'm sure this has been asked before, but are you doing any other New Essintail Guides?

14. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Ana: I quite agree.

TC

15. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    Attack_Of_Da_Gnomes wrote:
    I'm sure this has been asked before, but are you doing any other New Essintail Guides?

Yes!

(Sorry, I know that's not particularly helpful, but I don't want to step on Del Rey's release schedule.)

Dan

16. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    :D :D :D Thats great news.

17. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    Mr. Wallace, what sort of reference materials do you have available when you are writing these guides? Are you limited to your own EU library, or does Lucasfilm have some sort of uber-EU archive that you had acces to?

TC

18. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    He did mention the canon bible before in this thread I think. That would be in refrence to something mentioned in the guide to shadows of the empire I think.

19. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah, I know about that, I was just wondering if maybe LFL has some sort of huge SW library somewhere, with most of the EU stuff. Where else do the authors get the hard-to-find stuff like the Ewoks and Droids cartoons and comics and rarer things?

TC

20. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    TalonCard wrote:
    Mr. Wallace, what sort of reference materials do you have available when you are writing these guides? Are you limited to your own EU library, or does Lucasfilm have some sort of uber-EU archive that you had acces to?
    Yeah, I know about that, I was just wondering if maybe LFL has some sort of huge SW library somewhere, with most of the EU stuff. Where else do the authors get the hard-to-find stuff like the Ewoks and Droids cartoons and comics and rarer things?

Yes, there's the SW "bible" available for search, but that's more of an Encyclopedia-style summary resource. To really make a deep dive into the source material you need the sources, and for that I mostly rely on my own collection. I've only got a few holes here & there, mostly because they're hard to find (a few of the Marvel issues) or because I never picked 'em up (a few of the later Jedi Apprentice books). But for the most part my personal reference library is pretty complete and has served me well on countless projects--I'd hate to have a massive fire or something...

I remember on The Essential Guide to Planets I was trying to get some really obscure sources. Lucasfilm had them in their own library, but they just had one master copy each. For the Blackthorne Star Wars 3-D comics they sent me photocopies of the pages; for the Ewoks/Droids cartoon they sent me a videotape which I had to return.

Dan

21. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Wow, that's interesting. I love this "behind the scenes" info, Dan. :)

I remember Ann Crispin saying that Lucasfilm Licensing mailed her all of the necessary books to research for her Han Solo Trilogy...the Corporate Sector guide, tons of RPG books and Adventure Journals. And then when she was finished, she didn't know whether she was supposed to send them back or not, so she kept them! :D

22. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    Hey, that's cool! Thanks for answering my question.

It's a shame that none of the SW 3-D info made it into TEGTPAM; I would have liked to see how you fit together the three different stories depicting the evacuation of Yavin into the continuity. TimeTales has a pretty good explanation, but it would be nice to see it officially fixed.

TC

23. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    TalonCard wrote:
    It's a shame that none of the SW 3-D info made it into TEGTPAM; I would have liked to see how you fit together the three different stories depicting the evacuation of Yavin into the continuity. TimeTales has a pretty good explanation, but it would be nice to see it officially fixed.

I believe this was semi-fixed in The Essential Chronology, but feel free to correct me if there have been new complications since then. For the record, what do you consider the 3 evacuations of Yavin? I've got:
    1) X-Wing computer game
    2) SW 3-D (can be combined with X-Wing computer game)
    3) Classic Star Wars (takes place after #1 and #2, explained in the EC as a delayed evacuation of the Yavin 4 command staff)

I think there's something else, "Imperial Spy," but I haven't seen that one.

Dan

24. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    There was one evacuation story reprinted from star wars kids into star wars tales, about some space pirates in yavin's death star debri ring. I can't remember the name, was that the imperial spy?

25. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    >For the record, what do you consider the 3 evacuations of Yavin?

There are three distinct stories telling of the discovery of Hoth, and the evacuation of Yavin, all comics. They are as follows:

Classic Star Wars. While heading back to Yavin after a mission on Aridus, Luke is attacked by Imperials, and crash-lands on Hoth. After some adventures with a pair of HRDs, Luke contacts the Alliance. He thinks the ice world could serve as the Rebel's new base. Leia, Han, Chewie, and the two 'droids head for Hoth to pick him up (Han says "Gotta give the kid credit...he's found a place even I can't recall!") and inform Luke that Alliance command like the idea of using Hoth as a base. Later, at Yavin, the Rebels prepare to evacuate, power gem, blah blah, solar flares, yadda yadda, then off to Hoth.

This is, as you know, the original story.

Star Wars 3-D #2. Han and Luke arrive in the Yavin system after an adventure on Tatooine (SW3-D#1) and are attacked by a Star Destroyer, commanded by an Admiral Quist with Darth Vader aboard. After a harrowing escape from the Imps, the Falcon lands at the Yavin base, only to find it completely deserted. They leave for the rendezvous point. Princess Leia explains that they need to find a new central base, and *Han Solo* suggests Hoth, a planet he *remembers* from his smuggling days. The Star Warriors go off to reconnoiter Hoth, and have some more adventures there.

One wonders why the comic strips were ignored when this series was being planned. I thought that SW 3-D should go the way of Devilworlds, but as it's referenced in TEGTAS and SW.com's databank, I guess we have to deal with it.

Star Wars Kids (Imperial Spy and Death Star Pirates.) The Rebels return to Yavin with a load of X-Wings (see previous SWK comics) where they discover that an Imperial spy is in their midst. This spy contacts Darth Vader, and suggests an immediate strike force. Leia orders an immediate evacuation, and the Rebel fleet leaves for Hoth just before Vader's force arrives. The Star Warriors, however, are left behind when the Millennium Falcon and Luke's X-Wing are attacked by TIE fighters hiding in the Death Star wreckage. After defeating the fighter's owners (pirate scavengers) Han, Leia, Luke, Chewie and the 'droids head for Hoth.

Considering that this comic series went to great lengths to keep continuity with the Star Wars Missions books (and vice versa), and that book series was careful to keep continuity with Classic Star Wars, this should never have happened. *Sigh* :)

There are other parts to the story of Yavin's evacuation, like the X-Wing game you mentioned, and a few paragraphs in The Illustrated Guide to the Star Wars Universe, but those can fit with any of the above stories, It's making those stories fit with each other that's the problem. ;)

TC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.