main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~The Official New York Yankees Appreciation Thread~

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Master_Kast7, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Kast7

Master_Kast7 Jedi Knight star 6

May 12, 2004
    You're a smart, man, Inty. ;)

2. JediANGELA

JediANGELA Jedi Master star 6

Sep 28, 2002
    If Jeter doesnt get the MVP tomorrow, I am going to cry.

3. Master_Kast7

May 12, 2004
    I'm gonna make somebody else cry if he doesn't win it, if you know what I mean. [face_devil]

4. Master_Kast7

May 12, 2004
    lol @ the Red Sox wanting to replace Manny with J.D Drew.

~Liar, lawyer, Mirror for ya, What's the difference? Kangaroo be stoned, He's guilty as the government~

5. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Wow, is it time for the annual "Manny's leaving the Red Sox" discussion, already?

6. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    And for the first time, the Mets aren't involved. :p

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Steve Phillips mentioned today on the 6 PM Sportscenter that the Red Sox may be in the running to get Bonds if they lose Manny, which would be great, as I would have an excuse to hate him even more.

8. Master_Kast7

May 12, 2004
    That would be the greatest! I can already here the boos even from the Sox fans. :D

~Liar, lawyer, Mirror for ya, What's the difference? Kangaroo be stoned, He's guilty as the government~

9. JediANGELA

Sep 28, 2002
    Schedule is up on Yankees.com. Open April 2nd against Tampa Bay at home. 7-7-07 Old Timers Day, I might be going!

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Verducci at SI reports that Yankees are almost at a deal with Pettite.

Andy's my favorite Yankee pitcher of all time and second overall only to O'Neill, and where I'll be happy that he's back in pinstripes, I'm hesitant to believe if he'll help us all that much in the rotation. However, he's solid, and with a better hitting lineup, he may be more effective in NY than he was in Houston.

Who knows. It'll just be good to have him back.

11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
  12. JediANGELA

Sep 28, 2002

Only one thing that can describe this...

[face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing]

Its a sign, the Yankees have not reached the World Series since he left, maybe, hopefully...

13. Master_Kast7

May 12, 2004
    I wonder if this will make Roger Clemens come back. [face_thinking]
    Pettitte may not had that great of a year last year but I think that was mainly because of Houston's offense.
    Does anybody know anything about this Kei Igawa?

14. JediANGELA

Sep 28, 2002
    Only that he seems pretty good. Now Clemens can stay away for all I care.

But theres currently a rumor on Yahoo that Doc (Dwight Gooden) might be coming back. [face_plain] Why???????

15. Master_Kast7

May 12, 2004
    You don't want Clemens back? What are you nuts? Or just one of those people who thinks he'd get rattled in the AL or the AL East for that matter?

16. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Clemens has still been pitching well, but I don't think you'd want to see him go to the Bronx and then hit the decline like Randy Johnson while still costing huge money. Not that money has ever seemed to be a concern for them.

17. Master_Kast7

May 12, 2004
    Sorry I refuse to bash RJ.

18. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I'm not trying to bash him, but you can't deny that he's not the same pitcher he was when he signed, nor how much hes being paid for it.

19. JediANGELA

Sep 28, 2002
    I'm mad at him for saying he's retiring, then joining another team. I cannot forgive that. Besides, he's getting old. The last thing the Yankees need is another older pitcher.

20. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005
  21. Master_Kast7

May 12, 2004
    Cashman glad he's not Boss' puppet anymore

By PETER ABRAHAM
    THE JOURNAL NEWS
    (Original publication: January 21, 2007)
    The Yankees have gone six seasons without winning the World Series, a baseball eternity for a team of their stature. But Kevin Towers cannot remember a time when Brian Cashman has been happier.

"He had gotten to a point where he was beyond frustrated," said Towers, the general manager of the San Diego Padres and one of Cashman's closest friends in the game. "He was taking the heat, but it was for things that were beyond his control.

"But when I talk to him now, he's a different man. Brian is doing what he wants to do, and I have to say, it's not good for the rest of us."

In the 14 months since he wrestled power away from George Steinbrenner's cabal of advisors in Florida, Cashman has reformatted the Yankees into an organization determined to develop star players rather than pay a premium for them. Along with significant roster changes, Cashman has made a series of personnel moves within the baseball operations department, firing several longtime scouts and coaches and reassigning others.

"In 2005, we had a 25-man roster of veterans and got out of the gate terribly. The Boss said it was up to me to fix it, and it made me a little mad because I hadn't participated fully in making some of those moves in the first place," Cashman said during an interview at Yankee Stadium. "My contract was up after the season, and I said, 'I'll fix it, but I'm going to do it my way or I'm out of here.' "

With the urging of Steve Swindal, his son-in-law and designated successor, Steinbrenner gave Cashman wide-ranging control. Though Cashman had been the general manager since 1998, he had almost no say in amateur scouting, international signings or player development. That changed after the 2005 season.

"I wanted it all to come under my umbrella," said Cashman, who will turn 40 in July. "I didn't think we were operating efficiently in baseball operations from all aspects. There was no clear vision. For me, I couldn't stick around if it was going to be like that."

The most obvious changes have come to the roster and payroll. Since Nov. 10, Cashman has traded Gary Sheffield, Jaret Wright and Randy Johnson, getting eight players in return and saving $30 million. Seven of the eight players are pitchers, and with the exception of reliever Luis Vizcaino, none is older than 24.

Cashman also resisted trading his own prospects, particularly right-hander Philip Hughes and outfielder Jose Tabata.

"They have that balance again where they value prospects," Cleveland GM Mark Shapiro said. "You look who they had in the '90s; players like Derek Jeter, Bernie Williams and Jorge Posada came from within and won championships. (Cashman) has gone back to that model."

Shapiro said the idea of the Yankees using their vast financial resources to develop players is unsettling for the rest of baseball.

"They can sign anybody they want internationally or take a kid in the draft other teams might shy away from," Shapiro said. "It's a matter of who is making those decisions, and they seem to be making better decisions lately."

Cashman did not personally select high-ceiling college pitchers Ian Kennedy and Joba Chamberlain in the first two rounds of the draft last June; scouting director Damon Oppenheimer did. But Cashman approved of the Yankees' spending a record $7 million in signing bonuses for draft picks and $4 million on international free agents.

"Damon was in charge, and he will reap the benefits if it's positive," Cashman said. "Or we'll know who's responsible if we have to make a change. There will be no more saying that somebody else told me to make that pick."

Said Towers: "A good GM, in my opinion, has to know his organization and the talent better than the 29 other teams. I'm not sure Brian could say that before because of how they were set up. But he's moving in that direction. His

22. JediANGELA

Sep 28, 2002
    Spring Training begins Tuesday!

Whose going to be wearing Yankee Blue that day?

23. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Wholeheartedly agree about wanting to see them fail so they'll rebuild the right way. Though I think things actually started with the Arizona loss, that's when thy started spending alot bigger, starting with Giambi. In "Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty", Buster Olney talks about how the spirit, the determination thta was so key to the dynasty teams wasn#t there on the team that lost to the Marlins, that when they lost, too many players just shrugged their shoulders and moved on.

24. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Has anyone else read "Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty"? I finished it yesterday, a very good read. Excrutiating to relive Game 7 vs the Diamondbacks, but amazing reading the epilogue especially, basically history repeating itself from the late 70s: good GM (Gabe Paul in the 70s, Stick in the 90s) builds up a good team through trades and minor league system, wins championshpips, which only makes Steinbrenner hungry for more. Once championship run ends, Steinbrenner loses it more and more, interfering in deals, or just making them himself. Team, goes from a well-putogether group (admittedly more true of the recent dynasty than the Bronx Zoo of the 70s, but still, the teams was put together so that each player had their role, and were professional about playing that role) to a group of over-paid former all-stars that don't fit together at all. The big difference is that money and the expanded playoffs now allow Steinbrenner to at least get to the post-season every year. But how much longer will that last?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.