main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Rodgers had wide open space on both 2nd and 3rd down where he could have at least put the ball on the 1 or 2 yard line, or at the worst put it inside the 5 yard line. That would have opened up a whole range of plays that could be called to then punch it in. So that's on Rodgers. And then, not going for it on 4th down and giving Rodgers another chance to score, and kicking a field goal instead, is completely on the coach. Which then makes for a convenient scapegoat, instead of putting any significant blame on Rodgers. Had they gone for it, and then Rodgers still didn't score, it would have all been on Rodgers and we wouldn't even be talking about the coach.

Like I had mentioned before, I thought the broadcasters lack of commentary on Rodgers decision making to be very telling, because they just didn't want to go there at all. Instead of making logical commentary on the plays, they said absolutely nothing about it. But boy were they sure quick to question the coach's decision to kick a field goal. And even today, I've seen very little mention of Rodgers having that wide open space on two consecutive plays. In addition to that, there's all kinds of focus on that penalty that was called and how that negatively impacted the Packers. The media is totally babying Rodgers right now.

Rew, solojones and DarthFixxxer like this.
  2. The Vanguard

The Vanguard Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2016
    NOT THE CLYDESDALES!!! Damn.
    "The Super Bowl advertising season, which usually extends beyond the broadcast into weeks of teasers, celebrity reveals, YouTube debuts and celebratory live events, is more subdued as companies struggle to adopt an appropriate tone after a year full of marketing missteps."

Funny commercials?? How dare you.
    [​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I think the reason coaches get more of a blame in losses and less of a praise in wins in most sports (with notable exceptions being very common as well) is because it's one thing to make a wrong decision, and another thing to make a wrong execution.

Rodgers, like any other player, could have had a game that was less than perfect, or even pretty mediocre for his standards. The Packers may have gotten the ball after 3 interceptions, but the fact they didn't score wasn't only because of bad execution, it was also because of bad planning and play design.

On the other hand, when the game is on the line, the coach has to make the right decision. And if it doesn't work and the execution is the problem, the press and people will blame them less. Though I can also see a scenario where they decide to go for it instead of a FG and Rodgers gets hit hard and possibly injured, and everyone is out to eat the coach :p

However, you still have to make the right decision and then let the events unfold. Choosing a Field Goal was probably a really wrong decision, especially against a Brady team. He is the best quarterback of all times, even if he doesn't score he will run down the clock.

I agree, that's why perhaps blame can be put on both? :p But what does it matter?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    Dagobahsystem and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The coach's job is to make those decisions and he made one that was so obviously wrong. He made a losing decision. It's a fireable offense.

That said, I wouldn't fire him. They went 13-3. LaFleur is an offensive coach and they finished 1st in the NFL in scoring. What are they going to do, start over again already? If you fire him, other teams have already picked over the coaching pool. He's 41, give him time to learn and grow some balls.

It's just too bad Rodgers doesn't have too many years left and this one ended on a bad coaching decision.

Rew, Havac , solojones and 1 other person like this.
  5. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Apparently the Lions have hired Duce Staley. The players in Philly love him, so yay?

I guess I'm also glad to see several black assistants on the Lions' staff. Glenn, Lynn, and Staley. I think that's key to producing black head coaches. More OC/DC jobs. There just aren't a lot out there and it limits the number of potential HC candidates to the same pool of guys.

6. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Players make bad split second decisions. It happens.

Handing Tom Brady the ball is unforgivable when you have the “MVP” at your disposal. I don’t care how crappy he played all day. It only takes one play to forget all that.

DarthFixxxer and CT-867-5309 like this.
  7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Rodgers had a bad game overall though. It wasn't just that one or two decisions. I don't understand why it's taboo to say Rodgers didn't play well.

8. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I was referring to the whole game. I owe Rodgers nothing and will gladly call him out. Playing that crappy and still one score down is not a terrible thing.

Bad coaching gave up the end of first half TD and bad coaching put that ball in Tom Brady’s hand. Don’t even blame the refs for not calling PI all day and then calling that one. Clear difference as the dude was practically pulled out of his jersey.

Rew, ma_petite, mnjedi and 4 others like this.
  9. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I think everyone knows how I feel about Rodgers. I'm not inclined to say anything good about him.

He had an okay game, not a bad game, but also not a Classic Rodgers Game, nor did he have any Classic Rodgers Moments. He missed Adams a few times. He didn't get it done at the end like he has in the past. Getting hit eight times had something to do with it, the Bucs were getting after him (they're going to need to do it again vs the Chiefs). He got sacked multiple times in the fourth quarter, including on both fourth quarter drives that ended in punts. Pressure is basically every quarterback's kryptonite.

Thing is, we haven't seen that Playoff Rodgers since 2016, when they blew out the Giants in the Wild Card round. Or maybe that last drive against the Cowboys the following week. That's...quite some time (they missed the playoffs in 2017 and 2018). He's getting old and has had some injuries. Maybe he didn't make that run at the end because he just didn't have the legs to do it.

The last really wild Rodgers playoff moment that really stands out was that Hail Mary to Jeff Janis against Arizona. That was one of the craziest games in NFL history and I'm not likely to forget it any time soon.

10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I liked Rodgers a long time, said he was the best QB in the NFL when it was really Brady just because I didn't want to give Brady credit... But Rodgers is 1-4 in NFC championship games. That's not on the coaches. It's mostly on him IMHO. And I say this as someone who likes Green Bay as a whole and really wanted them to win this one for my family friend who is dying of ALS.

The Vanguard likes this.
  11. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Rodgers hasn't been the same ever since that collar bone injury a few seasons ago. Up until then he was classic Rodgers. I was hoping this playoff run would break him out of the rut, but he's clearly still not the player he used to be.

12. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    tbf this was the first time he had the nfc championship game at home, so it's not like they've always (or ever) been the favorites in the past.

13. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    McCarthy was hot garbage. I'd put a lot on him. He did the same stupid ****, kicking short field goals.

That year they lost to Atlanta, that was just Atlanta's year. They should have won the SB that year, but blew it hardcore.

Ditto Niners. It was their year. They ran all over the Packers and got after Rodgers with all those pass rushers. Rodgers had no chance at that one. The Niners won that game with Jimmy G attempting eight passes, they were that dominant. They also could have won the SB if Jimmy G was the guy to do it, but he choked.

This one, though. Rodgers had chances at this one. Brady threw three interceptions. He had three downs inside the 10 to try to tie it. He deserves a bit of blame for this loss. LaFleur also hamstrung him.

Edit: look at this though. First Brady INT? Touchdown. Second Brady INT? Third and five, sacked by Shaq Barrett, three and out. Third Brady INT? Immediately sacked by Shaq Barrett. Capitalizing on a turnover is all about momentum, and Shaq Barrett killed it.

Rew likes this.
  14. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    3 years ago Rodgers probably runs that in. But he's older, banged up and probably hesitated a split second until it was too late and he had to throw it.

The Vanguard and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah well KC has been playing with four backup O-linemen most of the year. And now Fischer is out for the SB. I am not very sympathetic when Green Bay has the best O-line in the league and they still couldn't move the ball.

You know what really has started to bother me about Rodgers? His pass the buck attitude. I don't care if it's not your fault and your coach made a bad call or some other player screwed up. It's my view that when you're the QB, you take responsibility, no matter what.

I remember as a teenager we had the #1 offense under Trent Green, and the #31 defense. We'd score 38 points and never punt and still lose... And Trent Green would still stand up there and say "I've gotta play better if we're going to win". This happened even in 2003, the year he rated better than Peyton Manning as a QB. That's leadership.

I can't believe a QB would publicly throw his coach under the bus like Rodgers did. Everyone KNOWS it was a bad call. Rodgers doesn't have to say it. That's a jerk move IMHO. It's something I also don't like about Brady, always yelling at his receivers even when he's the one who made a bad throw.

Rew, mnjedi and christophero30 like this.
  16. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Rodgers literally had his last HC fired, LaFluer should consider himself lucky.

christophero30 and solojones like this.
  17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I know. Which Peyton also did in Denver. Blech. Let bad coaches get themselves fired.

18. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Packers coaches must be like the Star Destroyer officers after losing the Falcon.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Oh also, Mahomes has now, in three years of starting, been to as many Super Bowls as Rodgers and Brees combined. Two HOFers with like 30 years of seasons between them... Mahomes surpasses it in three.

But sure, he's overhyped :p

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  20. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I will say though, Rodgers got hit waaaaay more than he’s been used to this season, the Packers oline had been nothing short of brilliant this year, but Bowels just kept sending five all game and it wore them down. The secondary was really physical on the other end too, Whitehead in particular was just blowing people up all game which I loved to see.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    See when Mahomes is blitzed, he's actually better. You should rush four at him and hope our hodgepodge line breaks down. You shouldn't blitz, as he kills teams against the blitz.

22. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Andy Reid could make an offensive lineman out of any fat kid in America.

They were playing Ricky Wagner, and I know from his time with the Lions that Ricky Wagner sucks.

Yes, and I think everyone knows this. Rodgers is an ***hole. He's kind of toxic. There's a reason so many of his former teammates have trashed him.

I mean, yeah, you're doing it right now.

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    How is just pointing to black and white stats overhyping...?

24. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    [​IMG]

Rew and mnjedi like this.
  25. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Doesn't change the fact that what she said about Mahomes is true though.....
    I will wait to see what he does in his career within the next 10 years, but so far his career has been stellar for his age.
    In 2 weeks he will have been younger than Brady on his 2nd Superbowl game.
    And if he wins? You might wanna stay away from NFL articles about Mahomes for the next month :p

Rew and solojones like this.