main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    Hold on a minute, Juli. Vick was winning games and everyone's hearts left and right his first few years.

2. THE_JEDI_GUARDIAN

THE_JEDI_GUARDIAN Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2006
    How the hell did the chiefs lose??? This season sucks.

3. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    Herman Edwards!

J/K!

Kinda.

4. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
  5. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Jan 15, 2005
    J E T S JETS JETS JETS!

6. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    Don't talk to me.

You know what, I am sort of happy. Because instead of pretending they were a good team, just enough to get my hopes up (and then crushed), they just got the snot beat out of them. It was easier to watch than the game last week, where I thought we had a chance.

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

He could have called more blitz, and used some more timeouts in a few situations... but the knock on Edwards has always been conservative offense. Let's look at that, shall we:

Trent Green- 297 yds, 4 TD, 1 Int, 129 rating
    LJ- 100+ yds
    Tony G- 99 yds, 2 TD
    Eddie Kennison- 117 yds

Doesn't look like our offense was conservative or the problem, does it? No, I'd say this is 100% on the defensive players. There were multiple opportunities to make a key stop, and had they made ONE of them, we would have been solid. But no.

Major 2002-2005 déja-vu on this one [face_plain]

-sj loves kevin spacey

8. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Wow, I must say, the Browns won a heck of a battle! I was up at that stadium, and as we tied it up, that place was going crazy! It was awesome!

9. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Jan 15, 2005
    Wasn't Edwards brought in to improve the Chiefs' defense?

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    He has.

They're the 12th best defense in the NFL.

Just one, maybe a few bad games. :)

11. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Jan 15, 2005
    But timing is everything: this was a particularly costly loss that brings the Chiefs back to the pack in the wild card race.

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I would agree with that, it was also a game they were very much expected to win.

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Maybe by everyone else, but that was certainly not the feeling in KC. We've been scared of the game all week. It's an angry team that was whipped last week at home and has only won once at home all year. This was a really bad time to go in there. I have been worried all week that this was going to be a close game and that we might lose. Even though we did well in this game offensively, I never felt good about it all game.

Edwards HAS improved the defense in general this season. But this game there were lots of missed tackles. Our overall defensive quality has been down since back Derrick Johnson has been out the last 3 games. And tackle James Reed was out this week, then his backup went out in the 3rd quarter. So we were playing with our third string there. That also made it easier for them to double team and contain Jared Allen and Tamba Hali. So the defense wasn't in a great position injury-wise, but they also just blew some tackles that should have been easy.

Edwards haters of course want to simplify it to him. But this is simply a failure of a crippled defense to step up and do their freaking job.

But so much for A_J's claim last week that Trent Green has been "horrible" :p
    -sj loves kevin spacey

14. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    hey Jay, being a starting quarterback isn't easy, is it? more like, "hey broncos fans, isn't it funny how cutler gave you the same results as plummer?"

serves them right.

edit: oops. too bad they didn't do that last bit for plummer.

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Ahhahaha. Both Seattle and Denver player like crap, but hooray for Cutler continuing to give the hawks more chances to come back.

10/21, 143 yd, 47.6, 2 TD, 2 Int, 62.3 rating... stats can be deceptive but in this case I think it's about right. They needed him to pass and he didn't do much. And he made a couple very rookie mistakes. I'm not saying he won't be good eventually. He might be. But this was a very Plummer-esque showing.

-sj loves kevin spacey

16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    But you gave the answer in your response. Plummer has been around far too long to continue making rookie mistakes, which he does on a consistent basis.

I think Denver will be fine with Cutler, and Plummer will end up in Tampa or some place to finish out his disappointing career. Good riddance.

17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    True, that's how Plummer was playing, but really the switch at this point in the season is not an inspiring move for the team on the whole. It's really hard to get into any kind of end of season rhythm when everything changes. Not saying it would have been much better with Plummer but it's still a weird move.

Oh hey, KW, I was happy to see the Cards win :)

-sj loves kevin spacey

18. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    Plummer can come play in Green Bay. We need a Quaterback.

19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    That's another option for him.

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It's a sad day for your team when you're chasing after Jake Plummer.

-sj loves kevin spacey

21. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    thanks, rachel :). today's was a good win, even as it costs the cardinals some draft position. oh well.

and it's always nice to see the cardinals' receivers in action, win or lose.

Not saying it would have been much better with Plummer but it's still a weird move.

i agree. when the cardinals switched to leinart, there was still the majority of the season left. now? a little tardy on the fastball, i think, and past time for such a big move.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Extremely.

23. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Jan 15, 2005
    I can imagine Clemens will be bumped up to #2 by next season, as while Pennington's career revival is great, instances like last week mean he can still go down (possibly for the count if the needs a third shoulder surgery) anytime.

Go draft your own quarterback. :p

24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    So has there ever been a QB rating lower than 1.3 in the NFL? And does this mean the Bears don't need to have an offense at all or what?

-sj loves kevin spacey

25. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    God I wish the Cowboys could get a crack at the Bears this season.