main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I watched about 2-minutes of one game some weeks ago, and I'm certain there was about 30-people in the stands. These spring leagues just never learn.

2. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Just wait. Another decade, and a couple more CBAs, and maybe the NFL will introduce the "Spring Season"...all your favorite teams, but maybe missing some the veterans who opted out. They play some 4-6 game schedule, followed by a short playoff and a "Summer Bowl".

Bet that works.

I don't think spring football is doomed to fail. I think it is that they are dividing our interest twice.

1) You are asking people to take on another viewing habit to their schedule. Spring weekends, Saturdays and Sundays, random times for TV, you are asking a lot to get someone to track it down to follow it. If they locked in at Sunday at 1pm for X number for weeks, it would be a good start. But people have routines, which includes Football in the Fall. They could embrace football in the spring, if they set it up to let people incorporate it to their routines.

2) You are asking people to embrace another team. Personally, I am trying to cut back on the teams I follow, not add more. And this is where the NFL would win if they pursued it. If they wanted to thumb their nose at the NCAA and start a minor league that plays in the spring, using similar names/colors and let fans see potential players for the Fall teams...people would go NUTS. Even if they did something like at the top, with the real teams, just maybe playing prospects, rookies, vets trying to secure one more contract, etc, I think people would embrace it because A) It is their team and B) The cred of the NFL to hopefully provide a watchable product.

So...if the NFL were to start playing in Late April, Sundays at 1pm, with Steelers and Packers and 49ers and Raiders, etc on the field...and their fans in the stands...I think spring football makes buckets of money.

Players will HATE it...but they don't seem to win too many fights with ownership.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
    Juliet316 and jcgoble3 like this.
  3. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    The entire league is playing in Birmingham. Que surprise Alabamians aren't showing up to watch the New Jersey Generals play the Philadelphia Stars

jcgoble3 likes this.
  4. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    What if they could make it like a minor league system where the practice squad players would be the veterans and the rest of the team would be eligible to be called up during the regular season? No one from the regular season would be allowed to play unless they were injured free agents, xfl, usfl or undrafted players.

5. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I watched all of 3 ish games of usfl. Wasn’t in the know or a fan of only playing in Birmingham. It lacks any excitement.

6. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    You’re buggin if you think people will switch from alma maters and universities with 100-year-old rivalries that regularly pull 100,000 in attendance to watch a minor league NFL team.

Maybe pre-NIL there’d be a chance of nabbing a couple big-name kids who wanted paid, but at this point you’re literally more likely to get bigger cash as the QB of Texas (Ewers made at least $1 mil as the 4th-string Buckeye QB) than any contract a minor league team would dole out.

The NFL has mega-hubris but I don’t think even they want to try unseating American college football.

Juliet316 and DarthTunick like this.
  7. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    @LloydChristmas , good point.

But there is also the question of how much time you can get the kid to stay in school, and then the next question of whether they are good enough to play on sundays in the fall.

If they would play spring ball, they are not directly challenging college football, and even if every team had a minor league squad, most of it's roster would be made up of older players, not straight out of high school guys...though you can't rule that out, particularly for players with academic or legal obstacles to college attendance (or simply a lack of interest from NIL payers for that players "likeness".) Point being, if the minor league took 200 players away from the eligible "pool" of players for college ball, that would be a lot, and I don't expect it to be the cream of the crop. More players drop out of college every year then that.

I could easily see a world where guys go to school for 2 years, but if they don't attract high profile NIL money, they may decide there is no incentive for them to stay there, so they enter the NFL draft, knowing they are not a high pick, but could still make a living playing football as they try to earn a top level contract.

It would certainly make it more like baseball in terms of prospects and the college level, but college football would not degrade to the invisible nature of college baseball.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
    Juliet316 and jcgoble3 like this.
  8. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Possible new Northern Virginia location for the Commanders

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    There's a good chance the Chiefs will be moving to Kansas City Kansas in a few years :(

10. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Juliet316 That be a good move for them as the WFT (sorry I am not calling them the Commanders, at least not yet) though it's crazy to think that they had just moved there a little over 25 years ago but that is incredibly how it is done now. The old stadiums lasted generations but now they want to move into a new one every 25-30 years. Again just crazy.

@solojones That would be sacrilegious therefore regrettably I fully now expect it to happen.

Meanwhile, the Bears are supposed to make their first proposal to the city of Arlington Heights for their plans on a new stadium at Arlington Park:

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/report-bears-arlington-park-plan-public-review-fall

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I mean it would still be in KC but it's sad to move from Arrowhead. Even though it's 50 years old now so I sorta get it. Wish MO just didn't suck so much.

12. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Why?

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

Basically there's likely to be a new stadium and MO is sucking at its offer. KS is putting everything into getting the Chiefs incentives to move across state lines to a big new funded area in KS.

14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Hmmm; is Arrowhead even in need of such great repair? Why bother with a new place? Don’t think they’ve got great revenue problems if they stay.

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
  16. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
  17. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I've never heard of anything good coming from getting drunk.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  18. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    All about those personal seat licenses and wall of corporate club boxes.

There are also a myriad of other minor things that start adding up, but mostly, yeah, it is about higher returns.

Chances are the new stadium will have less seating overall, but double or triple the club boxes. Will also likely have other money making schemes cooked in, like convention space, or concourse attractions, or other ways for people to drop more money inside the gates.

In the end, "new stadium" is a buzz that attracts attention, even from people who pay no attention to the sport.

Maybe they will go roof/retractable and angle for a SuperBowl?

While the team is awesome and driving interest, build a new palace, and play cities (or states in this case) against each other to milk public incentives to get the place made, then charge to the stars to let people who can't tell you what the names of the teams playing on the field are, to sit in climate controlled, sound proof suites.

jcgoble3 and CT-867-5309 like this.
  19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

Basically their contract is up in about 8 years and by then the stadium will be 58 years old. I agree there's no reason to replace it, but that's just what teams do now sadly.

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
  21. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006

Just impossible for me to believe that he's innocent

22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

He's not.

23. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    steve smith jr joining the giants as a wide receivers coach

really cool, one of my favorite players. should be great for young giants wr core

24. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006

That's my quarterback - Terrell Owens

25. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Video removed by the uploader.