main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The *Official* OT changes/SEs/ Archival discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth Dark Helmet, Apr 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EricIsBacchus

EricIsBacchus Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 16, 2003
    i haven't seen anybody mention the substition of hayden at the end of Jedi (when luke takes off the mask) I read this on "THEDIGITALBITS.COM". Anybody else hear anything regarding this? I guess it's already been done and will be on the archive version.

Who knows if they'll do it. For all we know, GL could shoot the footage for this scene at the Ep. III reshoots, if he hasn't shot it already.

I know a lot of you don't want any part of this but I personally hope this is the first change they make.

2. womberty

womberty Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    Why do you want that?

The original actor didn't do a good enough job?

Doesn't look enough like the Anakin of the PT? (He's a bleached-out, bloated, half-mechanized man, and you expect more of a resemblance to his former self?)

3. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    There's no way they'd replace Sebastian Shaw with Hayden. And they shouldn't.

4. womberty

Jan 21, 2002
    What about the rumors of replacing the Emperor in ESB?

Would they? Should they?

5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I am solidly against replacing Sebastian Shaw with anyone. Replacing monkey woman with Ian McDiarmid I am all for.

6. Lukecash

Lukecash Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Howbout replacing Han Solo with Monkey Woman?

:p

Of course, Replacing the Emperor would be great, but on one hand the surealsitic quality of something that Inhuman is something to behold.

7. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I am solidly against replacing Sebastian Shaw with anyone. Replacing monkey woman with Ian McDiarmid I am all for.

I agree and I agree.

8. EricIsBacchus

Oct 16, 2003
    Why do you want that?

The original actor didn't do a good enough job?

Doesn't look enough like the Anakin of the PT? (He's a bleached-out, bloated, half-mechanized man, and you expect more of a resemblance to his former self?)

I know I'm in the minority big time here... and if you look back earlier in this thread I go into it a little more. I respect you guys' opinions. I just think it would look cool to make Hayden look older and insert him. I think if only Lucas would release this change in an Archival Edition, and then go ahead and release the originals we'd all be happy.

As far as why I want him replaced - it has nothing to do with Shaw's performance. It's more that Hayden is who I will visualize under the mask from now on, and Shaw looks nothing like him. I wouldn't expect him to resemble his old self. I know he would look different, but he should at least be recognizable. Plus Shaw is much older (I think he was in his 70's) and correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Anakin be in his 50's by ROTJ? I know the physical trauma would age how he appeared.
    I don't think, however, that even if Hayden is inserted that they should change what is said.

Anyway, I figure it will never happen anyway...

Peace y'all.

oh, and PS - I'm of the opinion that if the Jabba scene in ANH can't be SIGNIFICANTLY cleaned up that it should be deleted alltogether.

9. womberty

Jan 21, 2002
    Replacing monkey woman with Ian McDiarmid I am all for.

Can someone explain the "monkey woman" bit? Which scene is that?

10. EricIsBacchus

Oct 16, 2003
    Can someone explain the "monkey woman" bit? Which scene is that?

It has to do with a scene in ESB where the emperor was played by someone that is obviously not Ian.

11. womberty

Jan 21, 2002
    The one where the emperor is talking to Vader through a hologram? Or a different scene?

12. keithabbott

keithabbott Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 1998
    Personally, I like some parts of the SE. What I don't like is Greedo shooting first. I don't like Jabba in ANH (just needs a makeover like the one in TPM). I don't luke Luke's scream in ESB. And I don't like the "prepare for my arrival" line by vader in ESB. Also, see no reason to change Kenobi's hut in ANH.

But I like everything else.

My view on OT vs SE...I'd like both on DVD. If I can't get both on DVD, then more than likely one of these days I'll buy a laser disc player and the definitive collection laser discs. Personally, I'd love to be able to cut and paste certain elements from one into the other. Perhaps one of these days, I'll learn how to do that for myself.

Keith

13. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    People people! There are no Ultimate/Archival editions. It was already said all these changes were false. Wish I had the artcls to show but I don't right now. None of these changes are taking place. Relax!

14. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    You think maybe George Lucas will give the fans a nice treat and remove the Greedo scene and luke yellow on these DVD's and just not tell the press? No point in making commercials or adds saying "Greedo scene is fix" cuz the casual fans dont know or care about that scene.

It'd be fast to fix those two things, so is it possible that he made those fixes and then after EPisode 3 he'll give us the rest?

15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    ekenobi you don't know that. None of us know it for sure. Lucasfilm has lied many times about what they were doing. We'll see about what changes might be made whenever they come out. It may not even be these DVDs in the fall, but that does not mean nothing is being done for down the road.

16. Snake_Plisskin

Snake_Plisskin Jedi Youngling

Feb 14, 2004
    I agree with most of what is being said on this board but i dont want to see additional scenes in the improved editions of the trilogy. improved special effects would be cool aslongs as they dont disturb the visual style of the film. i like the gritty dirty space look rather than the clean image in the prequals. I dont want to see the same architecture and spaceship style from the prequals being incorporated into the originals in an attempt to link the old with the new. they both have their own visual styles and should be left alone.

GL should improve the special effects ONLY where it is needed. The rancor scene looks terrible along with that alien eyeball thing that pops its head up in the garbage dispenser. its just laughable now. but rather than relying on GCI i would rather see improved puppets being used . just look at the alien trilogy. 1 and 2 looked so much more believable than 3 and 4. CGI doesnt always work. Just look at Jabba in ANH. haha 5 tons of fake looking blubber.

i was impressed however by one thing from the SE trilogy.The new posters for the films looked great. i think the box set would look much better if it used the movie posters for all 6 films rather than copying the dvd cover style for the first 2 installments. i only suggest using this for the box set however.

Take these for example....

http://www.danger-seekers.com/top5/images/swposteresbse.jpg

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews2/starwarsepisode2.jpg

17. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    ekenobi you don't know that. None of us know it for sure. Lucasfilm has lied many times about what they were doing.

When?

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    They denied any rumour that Ewan McGregor was playing Obi-Wan, to the poin t of saying he was not even being considered. They said there was absolutely no new footage on the DVD of TPM. They said the DVD release of the OT would be after Ep 3 was done.

19. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Due to a lot of complaints about the current setup of official DVD-related threads in this forum, we're restructing the official threads in CT, and this one is going into retirement. For discussion about the DVDs, SEs, archival editions, and O-OT purism, please see the three threads on the front page. There is now one for SE discussion, one for O-OT purism and discussion and the originaltrilogy.com petition, and one for talk about the DVD itself and any rumored changes to the classic trilogy that may appear on the discs.

We're doing this on a trial basis, and if people decide the old system worked better, we'll be equally happy to go back to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.